Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Unidentified130

Reged: 03/11/13

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE
      #5727912 - 03/12/13 11:19 AM

Hello Cloudy Nights! I have been lurking around this site and it seems this is the place for information regarding astronomy hobby. Just a quick background, i got into the hobby when i first bought a Celestron Powerseeker 70az from Walmart when it was on sale to try it out. Managed to look at the moon and jupiter which blew me away so i decided to return for a better one. Then came Orion Spaceprobe 130ST Equatorial Telescope, Orion 1.25 Inch Premium Telescope Accessory Kit, and Orion SteadyPix Universal Smartphone Telescope Photo Adapter (all of which i still own) that gave me a better views of the night sky. Even though it enhanced my viewing experience, finding objects in the sky to look at started to become a chore. After bout 4-5 months, I started looking into GO-TO computerize telescopes which I came across with the Celestron Nexstar SE series. The choices I end up contemplating of buying are the Nexstar 6SE and 8SE. Looking up the pros and cons of both telescope, it seems the 8SE got the most favors especially from this site.

The concern i'm having is should I buy a brand new or used one? As of the moment, I've been eyeing the one from Amazon since if i purchase one from their site, I can get a free 2 day shipping for the reason that my wife have a Prime account with them. Price for a new one is $1199 and the used ones I have seen fluctuate between $950-$1060. I was leaning on the used one to save money but it seems I only get a 30 day return should it break on me vs a new one with a 30 day return plus 2 year warranty from Celestron. Seems like it's a gamble if i go with the used one to save money. Any advice given to me will be appreciated.

One more thing, is the telescope decent for terrestrial viewing?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Unidentified130]
      #5727956 - 03/12/13 11:42 AM

Hi Unidentified130:

Well, the new vs. used depends on your tolerance for risk. There have been a number of people here on CN who purchased new and had to return for one reason or another. So personally, I'd be leery of buying used unless you can check out the unit in person first. That 2 year warranty can be very valuable if it needs to be exercised.

-Dan

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5728848 - 03/12/13 07:23 PM

I think if you are going to risk used it better be a great deal. I would hate to risk $950-1060 on a used scope. Can you wait on your purchace? Sometimes theese scopes do go on sale $100-200 off. I got mine @ B&H around June for $1099 with free shipping.

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5729029 - 03/12/13 09:18 PM

Hi Unidentified, and welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Buying used can save a lot of money, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you can examine the scope (and assuming you would know what to look for).

Dan hit the nail on the head - mass produced telescopes, almost by definition, are bound to produce the occasional lemon. A full warranty can be pretty comforting.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5729053 - 03/12/13 09:26 PM

Unfortunately i cant examine the scope since it's an Amazon warehouse deal. Since our tax refund is still being processed, i'm in no hurry to purchase one. So i'm using that waiting time to do some research and look around first. Thanks for the replies so far.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #5729069 - 03/12/13 09:33 PM

It took me almost 7 months to decide if I should go with a 6SE or the 8SE.

But when I did decide, I wanted to get something new. I am a noob so I don't know anything about scopes. So if anything were to go wrong, I had a warranty to fix any issues.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5732554 - 03/14/13 04:50 PM

The 2 year warranty and peace of mind is not a bad deal for the difference betwen $950 and new.

My 8SE was bought used but I had some idea of what to check,plus the seller is a area businessman and the cost was well under $950.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: BigC]
      #5733402 - 03/15/13 02:00 AM

Another question... I have a celestron 7ah power tank but after reading some threads, I decided to return it since it's still under the 30 day return from amazon. From what I've gathered, there are better power tank alternatives out there. Do you guys got anything to recommend? Preferably multi purpose/use. Thanks.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5733497 - 03/15/13 05:37 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Hi Unidentified130,

Welcome to CN and to this forum !

Personally, I think you are/were wise to return your 7Ah Celestron Power Tank. They are, as a Celestron branded accessory, relatively expensive for what they offer.

Certainly they will power your 'scope for much longer than any set of AA batteries contained in the mount, but their energy can be severely curtailed if, for example, they're asked to supply a dew removal heater system at the same time.

I therefore think you'll find that the better options are either a mains AC/DC transformer adapter giving an output current at 12 V of between ca.1200 mA and 2000 mA or, if you require to move your 'scope around and thereby have greater flexibility as to where you locate it, then it is hard to beat a high Ah capacity, (e.g. =/> 20Ah), 12V Autostart battery unit. Such will give you plenty of reserve power for a modest cash outlay.

Here below for example, is one such unit I've used for many years now.

Hoping this helps,

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Tel]
      #5733610 - 03/15/13 08:22 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

In support of what Tel has advised, here's my "jump start" unit. It's a 17ah, and cost me 19.99p. Still going strong after four years of regular (as regular as the British weather will allow) use.

Regards. Peter.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Peter9]
      #5733645 - 03/15/13 08:49 AM

I power my scopes with a 35aH 12 V handicapped mobility scooter/wheelchair battery...BUT I do still own TWO 7 ah Celestron Power tans that are both over 10 years old and both still work...
Maybe I have been a "good boy" for a long time..but I've never had a problem with either of them

That said they are grossly overpriced for what you get...and the charger itself has a reputation of failing fairly quickly ...

AS noted by the others You are much better off returning it... and buy a jump start charger and save a few bucks in the process...

Bob G

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5734151 - 03/15/13 01:26 PM

I use a Generac 15k watt generator. Oh wait.. That's for the house during hurricanes..

When I got my scope, I got a kit that came with the 7ah Powertank. It works pretty good so far for me.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: ben2112]
      #5734580 - 03/15/13 05:50 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XP400-Jump-Starter/15140202?findingMetho...

My local Walmart has this item for $40. Will this do the job? If I buy a port splitter, can it power the telescope and maybe a dew heater or something?

Tel
Postmaster

#5734678 - 03/15/13 06:47 PM

I wouldn't advise this one. From the specification it looks as if its capacity only amounts to 5 Ah. Your old unit was of 7Ah capacity !

You really need to look around for something in the region of 20Ah if you want to power such pieces of kit as dew removers which do tend to "zap" current a little !

BTW. You can always add additional outlets, (cigarette lighter ports), to most of these units, such as you can see, from my own unit above, I did.

Although I don't run my 'scope mount from my unit any more, it does serve to power my two dew removers and the cooling fan on my CCD camera.

Hoping this helps you further,
Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

#5734712 - 03/15/13 07:05 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XP2260-6-in-1-Jump-Starter/15140205?find...

When I bought the celestron one, it was bout $55. Kinda trying to keep the cost around that price. The one I link above is also available at the store which might be doable for me as far as the price. Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies so far. Really helpful!!!

Tel
Postmaster

#5734783 - 03/15/13 07:47 PM

Looks good to me with its 22Ah capacity and two port outlets which, as I mentioned, you can always add to if required !

True its more expensive than your original 7Ah "Power Tank", but there's plenty of power in this one to keep your 'scope going all night !

Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

#5735350 - 03/16/13 12:09 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93230-24mm-1-25-Eyepiece/dp/B0007UQNV8/ref=wl...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Omni-Series-32MM-Eyepiece/dp/B00008Y0SS/ref=w...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-NEW-3x-X-Cel-Barlow/dp/B006YTQ7B2/ref=wl_it_d...

I need an opinion(s) with these 2 eyepieces and a 3x barlow on my list that i'm planning on purchasing when I get the telescope. Any info will be appreciated.

Tel
Postmaster

#5735577 - 03/16/13 06:33 AM

Hi Unindentified130,

Opinions will inevitably differ but personally, I would not buy any of these items for the following reasons.

1) The Celestron "Zoom" price appears to be a bargain but this eyepiece is only of standard Ploessl design offering a maximum, apparent field of view of merely 60 degrees and a very miserable 40 degrees at minimum, which you'd find is akin to looking through a drinking straw ! (Believe me, I once bought a Celestron 40mm on the naive pretext that low magnification meant wide field of view. I was wrong; my 40mm gave me the equivalent in its apparent field of view) !

2) Again, normally when one purchases a long focal length eyepiece, one is generally looking towards gaining a significantly wider field of view. Regarding this Celestron 32mm though, expect nothing greater than any standard Ploessl has to offer; i.e. that of ca. 50 degrees: (52 in this particular case).

3) Unless you're intending to carry out some lunar or planetary imaging, I find my Antares X3 Barlow a little "strong" with a tendency to lack contrast in the view and therefore of less use than the more standard X2.

So much for the negative. Now, more positively but on a general purpose basis, many of the guys here have invested in the Baader series of eyepieces, (including myself), with a few opting for the Baader Hyperion 8-25mm Zoom.

This eyepiece offers a 50 degrees apparent field of view at 24mm and a very reasonable 68 degrees throughout the rest of the 20mm, 16mm, 12mm and 8mm "clickstop" range. True this single accessory is significantly more expensive than that of the above combined price, but the quality is there.

Here's an example link to UK pricing. The price in US dollars is likely to be, (at a guess) two thirds of this.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-zoom-eyepi...

Hoping this helps,

Best regards,
Tel

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #5735593 - 03/16/13 06:58 AM

before purchasing any extra EP, if not already I would try a 2" diagonal and EP if possible. Everyone I have showed the difference to has gone to the 2". The diagonal is not that expensive for a lower cost one. Or try Astronomy club and see if can try one of theirs,, just my $0.02
Kasey

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5735650 - 03/16/13 08:23 AM

Hi Unidentified130,

Further to the above two posts, it occurs to me that it might help if you gave us an indication as to the size of your accessory budget.

Could you provide one ?

Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

#5736134 - 03/16/13 12:05 PM

My budget's around $1600. That covers the telescope and any other required/recommended accessories that I need. If I invest on the Baader zoom eyepiece, would I need a barlow and/or a focal reducer? Or that eyepiece will be alright by itself?

Tel
Postmaster

#5736365 - 03/16/13 02:02 PM

Again, only in my opnion, but I'd forget the Barlow. The Baader "Zoom" has enough range to make a Barlow unnecessary. Conversely, an f/6.3 focal length reducer can be used selectively to advantage.

For example, in the 20mm EP position, the Baader will give a magnification of 2000mm/20mm = X100 with a theoretical true field of view of 68/100 = 0.68 deg.

With the f/6.3 reducer in place, the magnification is reduced to 1260/20 = X63 with a consequent theoretical true field of view of 1.08 degs.

Perhaps Peter 9 wouild care to comment ? I believe he uses this combination extensively.

Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

#5736392 - 03/16/13 02:19 PM

I really appreciate you answering my questions so far!!!

Another thing, any chance you know the diameter of the baader zoom eyepiece?

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Accessories/Orion-...

I have this with my smartphone "Samsung Galaxy S3" to take pics. Tinkering with the stock camera app and couple of other lowlight/long exposure app, I have taken really good pics of the moon. Managed to take a pic of Jupiter and orion nebula. Even though they're not high quality like the one taken with a dslr camera, it's good enough for me. Used it with the Orion Spaceprobe 130ST Telescope that I recently managed to sell to save up for the nexstar 8se.

Edited by Unidentified130 (03/16/13 02:20 PM)

Tel
Postmaster

#5736487 - 03/16/13 03:10 PM

I'm sorry, but I can't help you here as I don't own a Baader Zoom.

I have a range of individual Baaders, namely the 21mm, 17mm and 13mm, but the body size of these EPs may well differ.

Presumably, and with the camera platform in mind, you're looking for the "Zoom's" maximum body diameter ?

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5736494 - 03/16/13 03:13 PM

Like Tel, I have mixed feelings regarding barlows. I do have one but apart from when observing the Moon, and in very good seeing, Jupiter and Saturn, it normally stays in the case.

Re the use of a 0.6 focal reducer, I have one on my spare 24mm x 8mm zoom. As Tel has said, it gives lower mags and a wider field. I use it when in areas that have rich star fields i.e the path of the Milky Way across the sky etc, and when looking for and at open clusters and the like. It is really nice on the eye. Fair to say thou, that I don't use it as often as did, as I now have a set of wide angle eyepieces.

When you ask about the diameter of the Baader zoom I assume you mean is it either 1.25" or 2.0". The zoom itself is a 1.5" eyepiece but it is suppied with both 1.25" and 2.0" diameter barrels.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (03/16/13 04:19 PM)

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Peter9]
      #5736519 - 03/16/13 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info! I can now rearrange my amazon wishlist regarding the recommendations. That's where I'm planning on buying everything since my wife has an amazon prime account. Gotta love that free 2 day shipping that comes with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-94123-UHC-LPR-Filter/dp/B00080L42K/ref=wl_it_...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Schmidt-Cassegrains-Telescopes-Except-NexStar...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93503-Vibration-Suppression-Pads/dp/B0000665V...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Telescope-Moon-Filter-94119-A/dp/B00006LSVL/r...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Telescope-Computer-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0006...

These are the other items I also plan on buying with the telescope. Need any info/opinion on them pls. Thanks!

Tel
Postmaster

#5736624 - 03/16/13 04:43 PM

Hi Unidentified130,

You really do seem to know what you want !

However, as I said at the onset, I can only give you my opinion so, if I were you I would welcome that of others before you decide to buy.

Personally, I would initially look at that which might be a more immediate need and would therefore suggest that if your climate demands it, invest in a good dew "zapping" system. There's nothing more frustrating than having your corrector plate and EPs constantly dewing up during an evening's observation session.

True the dew shield or rather the "lens shade", (as Amazon appear to call it from your link), will greatly stave off the ravages of dewing but ultimately it will almost invariably become ineffective in keeping all at bay.

Secondly, and you may well laugh, but it's important to get yourself a suitable viewing chair so that you always have a relaxed posture when viewing and thus put no strain on your body. By this means, I assure you, you will see a lot more !

As to anti-vibration pads, these work very well on wooden decking and concrete. They are significantly less effective should your 'scope be set up on grass or other relatively soft surfaces.

Hoping this helps a little further,

Best regards,
Tel

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
      #5737302 - 03/16/13 09:12 PM

I agree that you need a good chair. Nothing allows you to become immersed in the view quite like a comfortable, well postioned seat.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5737644 - 03/16/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

I agree that you need a good chair. Nothing allows you to become immersed in the view quite like a comfortable, well postioned seat.

+1 on a good observing chair. It was the best investment I made. It made viewing a whole lot more enjoyable.

I got this one.. Observing Chair - Vestil CPRO-600

Unidentified130

#5739610 - 03/17/13 09:15 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Rigel-Systems-QuikFinder-Compact-Battery/dp/B006IJECSI/...

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Finderscope-Bracket-High-Point/dp/B006GTC9Y4/ref=...

Finderscope replacement/addition i'm also considering. I would also like to see you guys opinions on these two. Kinda leaning on the raci finderscope for the reason that it will not be affected by the cold temperature since it requires no batteries to use. Are there any modification that needs to be done on the scope for these things to be attached?

Edited by Unidentified130 (03/17/13 09:16 PM)

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#5740215 - 03/18/13 08:22 AM Attachment (3 downloads)

Don't know the quality of the RACI scope.. And it looks like it comes with everything. In the pic, you see the red arrow pointing at the base. That mount is what you would replace on your scope.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5740385 - 03/18/13 10:14 AM

The RACI looks like the one offered by Orion. I own that one and the quality is good, views are sharp, and it's easy to align with the main scope. Also, it's very lightweight so it will not affect scope balance much.

-Dan

Unidentified130

#5740406 - 03/18/13 10:26 AM

Thanks for the replies! Really helps with my decision making.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5740977 - 03/18/13 03:36 PM

I believe it's made by the same company as the GSO.

http://agenaastro.com/gso-8x50mm-right-angle-correct-image-finder.html

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5741261 - 03/18/13 05:48 PM

Looking at the reviews, seems like a solid product. Definitely keeping it on my list.

Tel
Postmaster

#5741524 - 03/18/13 07:38 PM

Hi Unidentified130,

Almost any 8x50 RACI finder of reasonable quality will do the job: after all, its major, if not entire use, will be at the alignment stage of any "GoTo" 'scope.

The main issue therefore, that I personally think you should be more seriously considering, is whether, in whatever finder you choose, its adapter dovetail plate is compatible with the fixing points on your 'scope tube !

If however you are happy and assured that those provided here will adapt, then that's OK !

Hoping this helps,

Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

#5742543 - 03/19/13 10:03 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Baader-Planetarium-Hyperion-8-24mm-Click/dp/B0045IZDDM/...

I pretty much decided to get this eyepiece. I like the idea of "A one eyepiece to rule them all" concept.

Should I upgrade the diagonal for a better one or is that something that can wait later in the future?

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

#5742929 - 03/19/13 01:14 PM

Check the specs for FOV of this EP versus other fixed FL pieces. If you're used to the 68 variety then you might not like the narrower view of the zoom at long FL values. However, it is handy as a "one size fits all" item and an improvement over the Celestron 8-24mm.

Unidentified130

#5742949 - 03/19/13 01:22 PM

The only experience I have with eyepieces are from Sirius plossls.

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Eyepieces/Orion-125-Premium-Te...

If the baader hyperion 8-24m zoom is better than these ones, then It'll be an improvement for me.

butsam

Reged: 12/28/12

Loc: Ohio
      #5742978 - 03/19/13 01:34 PM

Another possible use of the Barlow is for planetary astrophotography. I was able to draw out some extra details of Jupiter (post-processed) using a Barlowed NexImage 5 camera that would not have come through as clearly without the Barlow.

That said, if you don't plan on doing planetary AP, you can skip the Barlow quite easily, as others have said.

I'm not sure if you've pulled the trigger yet, but you might want to consider going with 2" EPs instead for that price. I have no experience using them (on my own scope...although I've looked through other scopes with the 2" EPs), but once I finally do decide on upgrading EPs, I'm strongly leaning that way. I want to get 2-3 of the very wide FOV EPs, at 2" one day...there are some that are 82* FOV!

Edited by butsam (03/19/13 01:39 PM)

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: butsam]
      #5743036 - 03/19/13 01:58 PM

I haven't bought anything yet. Asking as much questions that I can think of first.

Unidentified130

#5744207 - 03/19/13 10:53 PM

I'm mostly set on getting the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece, but I need to consider an alternative just in case the eyepiece doesn't go according to plan. This zoom eyepiece caught my attention since it's about $70 cheaper but cant find any reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Deluxe-Telescope-Eyepiece-93232/dp/B006YTQ708...

Someone from astronomyforum.net mentioned that it doesn't have the click stop feature. Anyone familiar with this eyepiece? Used or owns it? Thanks.

Unidentified130

#5745349 - 03/20/13 03:09 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-07680-Enhanced-Dielectric-Schmidt-Cassegrain/dp/B...

Added this on my list as an upgrade for the diagonal. Any thoughts? Thanks

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

#5745492 - 03/20/13 03:58 PM

Looks like it's somewhat in the middle between the Baader and the lower priced Celestron. If you buy directly from Adorama, you can get a better price. The lower priced unit is about 1/4 the cost but not much less in the FOV. If you want it to scan around to find the best FL for serious viewing then this one might be the best choice. However, if this will be your main EP then the Baader might be worth the extra cost.

http://www.adorama.com/CNZEPD.html

Unidentified130

#5745536 - 03/20/13 04:19 PM

The zoom eyepiece will be the only eyepiece i'm planning on having at least for a long while. The items on my shopping list are pretty much I believe I need right away. Something that will last for years without the need to upgrade every year or so.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

#5745770 - 03/20/13 05:44 PM

The Baader is probably the best choice in terms of FOV and image quality. Many people on this forum have one and report very good performance.

Unidentified130

#5746099 - 03/20/13 08:03 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Baader-Planetarium-Hyperion-8-24mm-Click/dp/B0045IZDDM/...

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-07680-Enhanced-Dielectric-Schmidt-Cassegrain/dp/B...

These 2 items are the eyepiece and diagonal combination I'm looking at. The only thing that concerns me is the both items seems to be bulky/heavy. Would that affect how the Nexstar 8SE functions?

ke4kso

Reged: 07/18/10

Loc: Chiefland Fl.
      #5746259 - 03/20/13 08:53 PM

Meade has had that diagonal and a 24mm swa eyepiece on sale I think twice in the last month for 159.95, You may want to watch their weekly deals,also They are coming up pretty often in the classifieds and ebay. http://store.meade.com/weeklydeals

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: ke4kso]
      #5746289 - 03/20/13 09:02 PM

I'll keep an eye out for those deals. Thanks.

Tel
Postmaster

#5746905 - 03/21/13 05:25 AM

Your 11lb 8SE tube will support about another 11lbs in additional accessory weight without stress which in practice means you can add, for example, an 8X50 finder 'scope, a dew shield, a 2" diagonal and yes, a Baader 8-24mm Zoom EP with impunity.

Try though to maintain the same amount of imbalance, (these tubes require a litle fore or aft weight imbalance in order to place a load on the altitude drive gears).

You will doubtlessly find however, that you need to push the tube further forward than before along the dovetail clamp in order to prevent the 2" diagonal/EP assembly striking the mount base when appproaching the Zenith. Should this cause the altitude axis clutch to slip, you will need to make a slight, (tightening), adjustment to it. You may also be required to retune your antibacklash settings.

Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

#5747251 - 03/21/13 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info Tel! One less concern to worry about.

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5752939 - 03/23/13 11:06 PM

I know the Rigel quickfinder isn't as asthetically pleasing as the RACI, but it is quick and easy to setup and align with the scope. Easier to view through especially if you have neck issues. I use it on the 8SE as well as on a refractor telescope.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5752951 - 03/23/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

I know the Rigel quickfinder isn't as asthetically pleasing as the RACI, but it is quick and easy to setup and align with the scope. Easier to view through especially if you have neck issues. I use it on the 8SE as well as on a refractor telescope.

How does it perform on cold temps? If you don't mind me asking.

Tel
Postmaster

#5753382 - 03/24/13 08:32 AM

Hi Ud130,

I just though this review might be of some interest to you if you've not already seen it.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?amp;&&item_id=821

Personally I prefer an 8 or 9X50 RACI finder to these reflex types.

Being rotatable within its tube rings or tube holder, the RACI can be placed to give maximum eye comfort and, if at a later date, some guided imaging is undertaken*, they can with a little ingenuity, double up as a guide 'scope for this purpose.

* Equatorially mounted OTA.

I would confess though, that I've only ever used a Telrad once and was not sure what I was looking for, but doesn't one still have to contort one's neck and body to view through these reflex finders, in much the same way as one has to when viewing through the red dot version ?

Best regards,
Tel

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5754192 - 03/24/13 02:38 PM

I've used it during some cold nights and the battery seems to hold up...in fact the only time the battery has not held up is when I forgot to turn the quick finder off.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5759089 - 03/26/13 08:26 PM

I got this idea.. Instead of getting the Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece, would getting a camera like this work?

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/Orion-Star...

I got an extra laptop that we don't use that I can hook it up to so I can use it to view and take pictures. Would this setup work?

Edited by Unidentified130 (03/26/13 08:30 PM)

Tel
Postmaster

#5759613 - 03/27/13 06:00 AM

Hi Ud130,

Having learned the hard way that in this hobby there's no single panacea or simple answer to the "Maiden's Prayer", I would advise you not to waste your time and money over trying to create real time viewing on a TV or other, monitor screen. It can of course be done and there are cheap cameras available for the purpose, (see attached), but the image quality will be disappointing.

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/pc/4/58.uts

Thus, if you want to carry out observational astronomy then use an eyepiece. Alternatively, if you want to see more than your eye can ever see in real time, then try your hand at astrophotography, initially perhaps with a simple webcam arrangement to take images of the Moon and major planets; then progressing possibly later to tackle the "Deep Space" stuff !

Of course by all means pursue both lines if you like, but don't "Mix and Match" !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5759694 - 03/27/13 07:59 AM

Quote:

I got this idea.. Instead of getting the Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece, would getting a camera like this work?

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/Orion-Star...

I got an extra laptop that we don't use that I can hook it up to so I can use it to view and take pictures. Would this setup work?

The camera you've picked is a single shot camera not a video camera. What you are trying to do is video-astronomy. Check that forum for ideas on how it's done. I think they use a cheap ~$100 security camera to get decent results.

rinalmj
sage

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Saxonburg, PA
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5759766 - 03/27/13 08:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The camera you've picked is a single shot camera not a video camera. What you are trying to do is video-astronomy. Check that forum for ideas on how it's done. I think they use a cheap ~$100 security camera to get decent results.

There was a good article about video astronomy in Sky & Telescope a month or two ago that you might want to check out.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: rinalmj]
      #5767184 - 03/30/13 05:14 PM

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive quick look/backup tripod mount for the 8SE OTA?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5768475 - 03/31/13 10:30 AM

Hi Unidentified130:

Catchy name!

Not sure what you mean. First, one man's inexpensive is another man's fortune. How much are you looking to spend? Are you expecting goto and tracking, or just a manual mount? What do you mean by "quick look" or "backup" ... what are your intended uses for the mount?

-Dan

Unidentified130

#5768573 - 03/31/13 11:23 AM

Quick to setup manual mount (non goto) and something I can use as a backup just in case I have to send the goto mount for repairs to celestron.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
      #5768598 - 03/31/13 11:30 AM

I have the twiligth IImount from ES. Not heavy very stable (better than the SE mount) and i tried it with the 8 se when my mount was sent for repair, it worked very well

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: coutleef]
      #5769116 - 03/31/13 04:21 PM

There are several manual alt/az mounts available that various people have use with an 8" SCT. Astrotech Voyager goes for around $300 and weighs about 14 pounds. The Twilight II mount is over $400 but can handle two scopes.

I went for the Desert Skies DSV-1 mount which, when purchased with their surveyors tripod goes for $310. If you want dual saddles so it will hold two scopes like the Twilight, you can add that for another $40.

The DSV-1 is a really high quality, precision machined mount with all ball bearing swivels. (The Voyager is just friction bearings, and I'm not sure about the Twilight II.) The DSV-1 is extremely smooth and the pan handle makes it easy to maneuver.

I can't vouch for the overall stability of the mount & tripod with an 8" SCT on it because I didn't purchase their tripod. I went with a "shorty" surveyors tripod that was a bit more expensive, but was more heavy duty. It also did not have the spreader that the Desert Sky tripod has. I think if I had to do it again though, I'd go with their tripod.

But I got the 2-saddle version of the mount and have tried it with both the 8"SCT and a 90mm refractor mounted. On my tripod, it works extremely well and is MUCH more stable than the 8SE mount.

-Dan

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3182

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics