Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DA53

Reged: 11/23/12

Loc: Shoreview, MN
Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080
      #5995783 - 07/28/13 11:43 PM

It is a beautiful cloudless night here, and I set up my NexStar 8se, and flipped on the power switch. Nothing. I checked my power source. It was working fine.
So I went back inside, and read the above error message that I couldn't read in the dark.

Going to Celestron's website, I find that I have to reprogram the hand control. Fortunately, my son has a Windows computer (my Mac does not run on OS 10.7). The scope comes with an RS232 cable, but no USB to RS232 adapter cable required to hook up to the computer. Celestron recommends ordering this from *Amazon* instead of supplying it for me!

The kindest thing I can say is that I'm really disappointed!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: DA53]
      #5995852 - 07/29/13 01:04 AM

Quote:

Going to Celestron's website, I find that I have to reprogram the hand control. Fortunately, my son has a Windows computer (my Mac does not run on OS 10.7). The scope comes with an RS232 cable, but no USB to RS232 adapter cable required to hook up to the computer. Celestron recommends ordering this from *Amazon* instead of supplying it for me!

You have a few options, here are some.

TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White)
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-Serial-Converter-TU-S9/dp/B0007T27H8

or this cable

Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports/dp/B0000VYJRY

or this one by Celestron

Cable, USB to RS-232 Converter
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-cable-usb-to-rs-232-converter.html

Here is the Celestron Support link telling us what we need:
http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewar...

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5995963 - 07/29/13 04:04 AM

I use the Celestron cable and I have never had an issue with it at all. I have done 50+ upgrades with no glitches or failures.

Stan

DA53

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5996135 - 07/29/13 08:44 AM

Thanks for understanding, I'm obviously not angry at anyone here. The Celestron cable is unfortunately unavailable, but the other two, I take it, still are, and are available at places like Walmart. As for the instructions, one fellow actually posted on Amazon more precise instructions than the ones Celestron gives. But then he claimed that it is a good idea to bring one's PC even under dark skies because the software can corrupt again.

In contrast, old Meade ETX-90 (purchased in 2000) still worked fine a few years ago, and so far as I know, still does, even without a single software update.

O-Ryan

Reged: 02/12/13

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
      #5996450 - 07/29/13 12:14 PM

I live in a light-polluted Dallas/Fort Worth suburb and had the chance to take my 8SE to a black sky area on a trip to Yellowstone, so you could imagine my excitement. The FIRST night there I got the same Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 error, so you could imagine my frustration and disappointment.

I feel your pain...

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: O-Ryan]
      #5996461 - 07/29/13 12:27 PM

I always carry support equipment with me when I'm in the field.

Stan

DA53

#5996483 - 07/29/13 12:37 PM

Ouch!!

O-Ryan

#5996484 - 07/29/13 12:37 PM

Lesson learned.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #5997230 - 07/29/13 08:16 PM

I always carry my laptop and cable with me. You just never know.

But the bigger question would be why is this happening. So far, I have seen posts on here of this happening more and more lately.

rockstarbill
sage

Reged: 07/16/13

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: ben2112]
      #5997344 - 07/29/13 09:40 PM

Could be a bug in the firmware revision these folks are using?

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: ben2112]
      #5997477 - 07/29/13 11:08 PM

Quote:

I always carry my laptop and cable with me. You just never know.

But the bigger question would be why is this happening. So far, I have seen posts on here of this happening more and more lately.

I have a NexStar 5SE and a NexStar CGEM 800. Both are the older version (i.e. not the + version). I had my firmware get scrambled on my 5SE once and never on my CGEM, in well over a year. I figure cosmic rays (or static electricity) zapped the memory in the hand controller.

One reason you might hear about it happening more lately could be because more are being sold and more people have found out about Cloudy Nights. People don't report when their hand controller works.

I think the actual reason is that the new + version does some kind of checksum at startup and this is what generates the Bootloader Invalid message. With the old hand controllers you could have a failure and not know about it and keep using it for a long time that way.

I guess I better carry my cables and make sure my laptop has the latest firmware to re-upload. For a really important session (i.e. I drove hours to a dark site) I probably should preemptively upload the firmware, because I have the old hand controller without any checksum test.

Does anyone know if that Bootloader Invalid message is for some kind of checksum test failure?

DA53

#5997995 - 07/30/13 08:59 AM

It is impractical for me and for many others to have to bring a laptop everywhere I go with the telescope. This is something Celestron should fix.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5998042 - 07/30/13 09:28 AM

Quote:

It is impractical for me and for many others to have to bring a laptop everywhere I go with the telescope. This is something Celestron should fix.

With all of the equipment involved with the telescope, a laptop is "impractical"?

Stan

DA53

#5998079 - 07/30/13 09:49 AM

To bring a laptop to a campground or dark sky area and have to worry about it, too? For me, yes. But if you find this tolerable, good for you! In any case, the handle paddle for my Meade LXD75 has worked for years without any problem, even though Meade (yes, Meade!) doesn't even support these anymore. I should expect Celestron either to do better or to be upfront about the problem: if you buy a NexStar, this can or will happen. You are buying an unreliable product.

Now I have heard others say that once they refresh the software, they have had no further problems. I hope that this will be true in my case.

But I have complained enough. Thanks for reading. Dark skies to you all.

Edited by DA53 (07/30/13 09:50 AM)

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5998107 - 07/30/13 10:11 AM

Dave,
I'm sorry to see that you are have to deal with a defective hand controller. I hope the new one solves your problems and that you have no further troubles with your equipment.

Stan

DA53

#5998121 - 07/30/13 10:19 AM

Thanks, Stan, I don't know that it is defective yet. When the necessary cable arrives to refresh the software, we shall see. Otherwise, I really like my
NexStar 8se, and having owned telescopes in the past, I realize that there is always a learning curve involved in operating them.

Like many of you, I have lived in a Mac universe, and I am not used to the computer problems Windows users routinely face. I don't feel that I should have to buy a Windows laptop just to fix this. (We'll see how well I can do it with my MacBook Pro as when the cable arrives.)

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5998221 - 07/30/13 11:11 AM

If the laptop is only needed to reload the firmware then one of the small netbooks would be sufficient.

For, example:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOD270-1375-Netbook-Processor-Espresso/dp/B007582K...

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5998772 - 07/30/13 04:52 PM

The Nexstar+ CFM that's used to update the NexStar+ firmware is a Java application. Isn't that compatible with the Mac?

I thought that was why it was written in Java.

Chris

O-Ryan

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: rockstarbill]
      #5998811 - 07/30/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

Could be a bug in the firmware revision these folks are using?

Mine was all factory settings on a telescope only ~4 months out of the box when I got the error.

In regards to carrying a laptop with me; now that I think about it - I was in the middle of nowhere and a long drive away from cell service/internet connection (a pleasant side-effect of Yellowstone and dark skies). Unless I not only brought my laptop with me, but also had the firmware fix saved on it, it wouldn't have done me any good anyways.

DA53

#5998821 - 07/30/13 05:23 PM

From what I have read, it should work with a Mac. We will see in a few days.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5998878 - 07/30/13 06:06 PM

The firmware is contained in the CFM program that is downloaded to your laptop. There is no need for internet coverage in order to update your hand controller.

Stan

DA53

#5999262 - 07/30/13 11:02 PM

True, if you thought to download it and keep it on your laptop, and you bring your laptop along. But you still need to bring your laptop along, something that bothers some of us (at least me), not others.

I will communicate my issue with Celestron, and see if they are planning on doing anything to fix the problem.

khingdheano

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Dallas, TX
      #6002861 - 08/02/13 09:52 AM

First time I powered up my scope, right out of the box, I got "Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0002". Ran the firmware update, all was good. One week later I get the 0080 error. Running the CFM again fixed it, but afterwards my mount thought it was a GEM. Had to run it again after finding out that CFM defaults to GEM, and there is an option to change that. Didn't have to do that the first time, but whatever. Two weeks on with no problems. I'm hoping that I have immunity now, having suffered through both afflictions. Remains to be seen.

Pisces1

Reged: 07/15/13

#6003568 - 08/02/13 05:07 PM

Welcome to my world...I'm a newbie and in fact this is my first post. I received a Celestron 4SE for a gift in June. After using it a few times I got the same message. I contacted Celestron Support and they directed me to their website to follow the instructions...well NOT! I packed it up and UPS'd it back to them for Celestron to re-program. It cost me $67 in shipping but they fixed the issue and sent in back in 2 weeks. Now, I'm exploring what battery tank to get..since the reviews on the celestron battery tank are discouraging...advice would be appreciated.

DA53

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: Pisces1]
      #6006551 - 08/04/13 08:09 PM

I was off on vacation for a few days, and found the necessary Keyspan adaptor in the mail when I came back today. The hardware fit together easily enough. Necessary software for my Mac was on a disk which came with the adaptor. It worked well with the Celestron CFM installer software I downloaded, and now the error message is gone, with same prompts as before (other than a request for which language to use, and an initial instruction to line up the index marks on the telescope--I don't remember seeing that before). I'll see how well the telescope works tonight with the new software.

Edited by DA53 (08/04/13 08:10 PM)

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#6006555 - 08/04/13 08:13 PM

Quote:

... and an initial instruction to line up the index marks on the telescope--I don't remember seeing that before).

I think you have the wrong firmware loaded. Apparently there is an option to do GEM or Alt/AZ and it defaults to GEM so if you don't notice you get that. Go back and load it again and look for that option and select the non-default option.

DA53

#6006639 - 08/04/13 09:15 PM

Thanks. According to the manual, Alt/Az is the default. Where can I find the right firmware? Here is the source of the software I did download:

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownlo...,7

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#6006651 - 08/04/13 09:23 PM

CFM is the correct software on your computer. It downloads the firmware from somewhere on the Internet and it can download two different versions depending on a setting you make.

You will need to run the same software just like before but as I understand it there is a drop down menu somewhere (when running CFM) that allows you to select which firmware it gets - to put into your hand controller. Just look for an option somewhere on the CFM screen that allows you to select something other than GEM.

Someone who has done it before told us and I don't remember where but I thought I was told it is somewhere in the upper left part of the screen (I could be wrong).

DA53

#6006686 - 08/04/13 09:42 PM

Something is wrong, as you suggest. When I go to the menu and select "Tracking" and then "Mode," there is no option for "Alt-Az."

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#6006692 - 08/04/13 09:44 PM

The option will be on the CFM screen, on your computer, when you are about to begin installing the firmware update.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#6006756 - 08/04/13 10:22 PM

Drop-down list in upper LH corner. Listed under "Hand Control", then click "Mount Types".

Stan

DA53

#6007234 - 08/05/13 08:50 AM

Thanks, but even that won't do it. The default for the installer is indeed
"Alt/Az," but it still loads GEM software. Here are Celestron's instructions (which should be in our "Best of NexStar" thread here on CN).

Following these instructions, I got it to load the right software. You'd think that Celestron would do a better job of making what is needed clear given the tendency of the firmware to corrupt. But if they don't do it, we at least should. Reloading the firmware should not be this hard!

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#6007369 - 08/05/13 10:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks, but even that won't do it. The default for the installer is indeed
"Alt/Az," but it still loads GEM software. Here are Celestron's instructions (which should be in our "Best of NexStar" thread here on CN).

Following these instructions, I got it to load the right software. You'd think that Celestron would do a better job of making what is needed clear given the tendency of the firmware to corrupt. But if they don't do it, we at least should. Reloading the firmware should not be this hard!

Isn't that what I told you to do???

Stan

DA53

#6007554 - 08/05/13 12:39 PM

Sorry, maybe it is indeed. No offense intended.

jeremy9959

Reged: 05/18/13

Loc: Connecticut
      #6007944 - 08/05/13 04:37 PM

Dear All,

Last night I went out to observe at around 11 p.m. in Eastern Connecticut on a beautiful cool evening. First, I realized I'd left the switch on my red dot starpointer on, so the battery was dead; then, I turned on the scope, and instantly got the Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 message.

So I went back inside, downloaded the various pieces of software, and reinstalled the firmware. I even tracked down a new battery. By the time I was done it was after 1 a.m. and my enthusiasm had pretty much died.

On a whim I grabbed my binoculars and went outside. I got a beautiful view of Andromeda through the binoculars, something I've never seen before.

I would never have tried the binocs if the telescope had been working. So something good came of the experience.

I just hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

Jeremy

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: jeremy9959]
      #6008373 - 08/05/13 09:23 PM

Jeremy,

Re flashing the firmware to fix the Bootloader error is a one time event, not an ongoing fix. If you've done a good firmware update and the problem persists don't waste any more time, get your dealer or Celestron to replace the hand controller.

rockstarbill
sage

Reged: 07/16/13

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: mclewis1]
      #6008766 - 08/06/13 03:17 AM

Mark,

I am not sure that is accurate, nor am I sure that it being correct is out of the realm of possibility. I have used my updated AVX hand control nightly for weeks, and tonight when I went out - I got the Bootloader error message. I reflashed and everything went smoothly. I assume something is awry here codewise, rather than a bunch of handsets being garbage.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: rockstarbill]
      #6008922 - 08/06/13 08:15 AM

Quote:

I assume something is awry here codewise, rather than a bunch of handsets being garbage.

I had been successfully using my NexStar 5SE a lot and then one day it failed. I told it to go to Jupiter and it told me that it wasn't high enough. It was almost at zenith. I went to the setting for slew limits and the lower limit, which should have been zero, instead had some funky characters, such as an upside-down question mark. I changed it to zero and then everything worked fine. After that I decided to re-flash my memory.

I suspect that these hand controls are susceptible to getting zapped (static electricity?) and Celestron doesn't know how to fix that. Along with this hypothesis I suspect that Celestron added some kind of checksum test at each bootup to help us know when the memory has been zapped and that this is what causes those bootloader invalid messages on the new NexStar+ hand controllers.

I have no direct knowledge that this may be true, it is just a guess based on the symptoms and reports I've seen on CN. Based on this hypothesis it is possible that you will need to re-flash your hand controller periodically, hopefully not too often.

DA53

#6010114 - 08/06/13 07:00 PM

Hopefully the software you download now is updated and has a fix for the problem. We'll see!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1566

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics