Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Skip]
      #6218677 - 11/27/13 06:52 AM

Quote:

Just remember boys, what happens on CN stays on CN.

Until I get to meet Yvonne, that is.

Wonderful response Skip, ably backed up by Tony. Gave me a real good laugh.

Regards. Peter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6219176 - 11/27/13 12:05 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Just snapped this rather nice Sunset out back.

Regards. Peter.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6219186 - 11/27/13 12:10 PM

Wonderful pic Pete!

Pete

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6223359 - 11/29/13 12:53 PM

Thanks Pete.

You referring to me as Pete brings back fond memories of my late Mum, bless her. She would remind anyone who dared to call me Pete in her presence that I was Christened Peter and would they please use that name. I on the other hand preferred Pete and, unknown to Mum, encouraged it's use.

Regards. Pete. Sorry Mum, Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#6223423 - 11/29/13 01:35 PM

Peter - yes that is a very nice sunset! I was able to get out last night with the brute for a few minutes and I had a quick look at Albeiro and it looked good even though it was low in the West. I hope it is clear tonight and maybe I can head out a little!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6224522 - 11/30/13 02:05 AM

Very nice sunset Peter.

Went out for about 2hrs tonight. Clear skies but average seeing. Looked at M45, M42, and my old friend Jupiter. No transitions or GRS, but still nice to just get out under the stars. I packed it as the winds started to pick up. I really love this hobby. It is just relaxing to sit and observe. Just taking it all in.

I start my new job next week, so I won't be getting out much during the week. I hope I have nice weekends to enjoy my hobby.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6224578 - 11/30/13 03:51 AM

Superb study in noctilucent clouds, Peter !

We'll get you into astro-imaging yet !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6225167 - 11/30/13 01:05 PM

Thanks for all your nice comments re my "Sunset". Tel, I thought for a moment, as I was taking the pic, that I felt a faint tug from the Dark Side .

Pleased you got a little time with "the brute" Tony. Albeiro would be a good object for it. Hope things go well for you tonight.

Good to hear of your observing session Ben. Bet it was good to view old favorites like M45 and M42. Jupiter must look striking as it climbs high into the sky.
Good luck with the new job.

For myself, I've had a few near misses, but high clouds and last night, strong winds, have so far thwarted my efforts to observe. There's a 40/60 chance forecast for tonight but as I type (18.00), there is 80% cloud cover. Here's hoping as I really do want to turn the scope on Jupiter.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238235 - 12/06/13 10:21 PM

Tonight was a clear night but kind of windy. So, instead of pulling out the scope, I decided it was bino night. Started around 8ish. Saw M45 and M31. Seeing wasn't the best. Waited around and got to see M42 and Jupiter. The one thing I do like about binos is you can move around the yard to get better views when trees are a problem. Spent about 2hrs enjoying the mid 60 temps. I am glad I got to enjoy it now, this coming week is going to be storms and cloudy weather.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238305 - 12/06/13 11:11 PM

Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed M42 and Jupiter! Around Austin we have had a cold front come thru and along with that, rain and clouds. Will be in the mid 20's tonight. But of course it has been cloudy fairly ofter lately. I've got a new scope I'd like to spend some more time with but it's gonna have to wait. I'm looking forward to Jupiter making a return!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238311 - 12/06/13 11:20 PM

Tony - What scope did you get?

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238404 - 12/07/13 12:51 AM

Explore Scientific AR102 with their az mount. I would have like to get an apo / ED but didn't want (need) to spend that much. This one is for open clusters primarily. It's a faster fl scope than I've had but I've been looking around for a grab and go. Our weather has been unfavorable for getting a scope out. I went out a little bit ago and it was down to 26F and 100 percent cloudy,g. Jupiter should be looking good so I'm always glad when it's back! Take care...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6238604 - 12/07/13 08:00 AM

Good to see you've once again made the best of what the weather gave you Ben. I think Jupiter and M42 alone are worth the effort. Well done.
I have yet to view either this time around due to the inclement weather. Last week promised much but thin high cloud persisted. We are now, like Tony, in for a spell of cloud and rain. Thankfully, there's still plenty of time in which to turn the scope on them.

Good, luck with your new AR102 Tony. Hope it meets your needs. Looks like a really good choice. I'm toying with the idea of piggybacking a Sky Watcher Star Travel 80T on the CPC for open cluster etc.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238635 - 12/07/13 08:59 AM

Peter - When will Jupiter and M42 be visible in your skies?

Tony - I want a nice Refractor also. Not only for visual but for AP. When I look at M45 with my 8SE, it doesn't look right, but that is because of the long focal length. Now, when I see it with my binos, you see the whole DSO and it is beautiful. Right now I am up in the air on which one I want to get. I know I want to get an APO, but I trying to figure out which one I should get.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6238725 - 12/07/13 10:11 AM

Hi Ben,

They are there now in the S.E. Jupiter at just over 30deg, and M42 at 22deg at 22.00. Jupiter gets to near 60deg by 02.00 so things can only get better, if only the clouds would clear. Jupiter, Orion and the rest of the winter constellation will be with me until March/April so as I said, still plenty of time....

BTW Hows the new job going?

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238788 - 12/07/13 10:55 AM

Ben - Skywatcher apos were on sale in November. I thought seriously about the 100mm but I would have needed a mount for it. I'll keep a look out for a nice used one or something along those lines. Just depends on how much you can afford or want to spend. I hope you find one you like...

Peter - Thanks and I think it will be a good scope for what I need. Go ahead and put your Sky Watcher on your big scope and give it a go. Might be pretty nice! Jupiter and Orion are coming up later in the evening now and offering good views in my area. The only scope time I had was a week or so ago with the brute. Boy it has pinpoint optics. I'm looking for a replacement optical finder for it and a set of rings and a vixen style dove tail and I can then use it on the ES mount or I guess the Nextar mount too. Hope the weather clears for us all...

Edited by CelestronDaddy (12/07/13 11:21 AM)

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238847 - 12/07/13 11:23 AM

Peter - The new job is going ok for the moment. I work for the Dept of Defense. So, I have to wait for my paperwork to go through. In the mean time, I am getting paid to sit on my butt and surf the internet. As for winter skies, I hope they clear up for you. So you can see M42 and Jupiter with that nice CPC11.

Tony - I know. But all my extra cash was spent on Christmas for the family. I have a feeling they will go on sale again. As for a mount, I am looking at the VX mount to get started. Been looking at the SW 80ED. Since I am just really getting started in AP, I want to start off small and work my way up. Besides, I can't install an observatory, so I need something portable also.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238937 - 12/07/13 12:14 PM

Ben - I think the SW 80 or 100mm are nice scopes for the money and the reviews are fairly good here on CN. I'd lean towards the 100mm and you see good used ones come up every now and then. The VX seems to be a good mount. The only GOTO mount I have is the 6SE/8SE and it is not a bad mount all things considered. But at heart I'm always going to be a manual goto observer. I like star atlases and star hopping so I don't know that I'll get another auto mount I guess unless I get into AP. I'm mainly a visual observer and I get great satisfaction from it! I can attach my 6SCT to the ES Twilight mount or the 102 on the Nextar mount though I have to be careful because it will not clear the base. There are some nice mounts by Desert Sky Astro I've been looking at. With my interest in double stars I'll be looking for a nice apo /ED soon. It will be a longer focal length version so I can run the magnification up. I know what you mean about Chritmas. My kids are in their late 20's and the wife and I still spend more than we should on them, g. Take er easy.... Tony

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6244665 - 12/10/13 12:26 PM

Popped on my solar filter this morning and did an hours worth of solar observing. (what else would one do with a solar filter in place ).
Conditions were far from ideal due to there being lots of thin white clouds, but it gave the scope a run out. There were two interesting Sunspot groups, one at around 5 o clock and the other at around 11 o clock. They showed some detail at x180 with the inner shape and structure showing up well.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: Peter9]
      #6244839 - 12/10/13 01:56 PM

Peter, Good report and glad you were able to get out a bit and have a look at our sun. Was this with your larger scope or something different? Our last cold front has pushed through and it may be pretty clear tonight. It will be cold (for us!) with the low of around 22F. I may be able to get out and have a look around. Good to hear from you across the pond, g...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10410

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics