Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6059175 - 09/02/13 12:32 PM

Hi Peter, yea the OIII is a very good filter! I'll let you know what my impressions are with the NPB when it comes in and I get to use it a few times. I think between the NPB / UHC and OIII type filters you are covered pretty good with them! Good to hear from you....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6061111 - 09/03/13 02:02 PM

Hi,

I've just opened the dome to allow for cooling. The weather forecast is a bit hit and miss, but if it turns out a hit, then I want to be ready.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6061142 - 09/03/13 02:34 PM

Peter, Hope it clears for you! We had a thunder shower come through last night. Really needed it too. Will be looking forward to a report if it clears up for you...

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Klausthaler]
      #6061290 - 09/03/13 04:19 PM

That is a picture of my first scope! Observed the moon and the moons of Jupiter with it in the late 1970"s. Brings back great memories. IIRC, it was a Revue 25x40mm scope.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6062227 - 09/04/13 07:38 AM

Quote:

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply on filters. Sounds like yours works well. I've only got the Orion Skyglow and it doesn't perform well enough from my experience. I see a few listed on CN sometimes but I guess I need to do a little more research. I know that one guy here on CN has done an in depth thread and I've read it and that is why I'm looking at these two types. I'm just not familiar with the brands other than Lumicon, Baader and Orion. We have lots of clouds today and we have a chance for rain today. Boy we really need it for the yards! Thanks again and hope you have a good day....

The UHC and OIII are much more restrictive of light pollution than the gentler Skyglow. Most folks , particularly in sky's that have significant light pollution find the skyglow type filters too tame.

Pete

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6062449 - 09/04/13 10:47 AM

Hi Pete, I've got an NPB ordered. I hope it will be a useful addition and I'll add an OIII soon. I'm sure the Skyglow offers some usefulness in my orange zone but it appears more minimal to me! Thanks ...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6062798 - 09/04/13 02:23 PM

It was a HIT and what a fun start. Was in the dome and ready to go by 21.00 having woken the scope from Hibernation. Thought I'd go to an easy and well loved target to start with so selected, as I thought, M11. I park the scope at an angle of about 45deg so having pressed ENTER the scope is heading downwards (M11 being at 26deg). Instead of stopping where I expected it to, it carried on until, with the front of the scope now pointing at the floor, I calmly ( ) stopped the Goto with an arrow key. The cause, instead of typing M011 I had typed M001 so the scope was heading for the Crab and not the Duck. Now I did'nt know where the Crab was at 21.00 on a Tuesday night but it sure as H... was'nt gracing my skies. after re-Hibernating and waking up I had M11 in my sights looking lovely as always. I intended to stay in Saggy but did a quick visit to the dumbbell to further test the UHC filter. It did not disappoint. It was a large dim gray ball without but a large much brighter and dumbbell shaped object with. The scope was not fully cooled so M27 was "bouncing" a little, but it took x150 showing some structure. Back down to Saggy and M17 (Omega). How's this Tony, without the UHC I could not see M17. Popped it on and it stood out like a good un. It's a great sight sat as it is in a lovely star field (as are most objects in Saggy) milky way and all that. Although at only 14deg, the air was very still and I managed x 160ish on M17. On to M16 (the Eagle) is much more defused but again sits in a lovely star field. The nebula was whispy but the UHC brought out the best in it. Decided to take a look at M14 G.C but failed to see it. Saw M10 G.C which was very faint but O.K, but M14 alluded me for some reason. Nipped down (only 5deg above my horizon) to M8 The Lagoon. It was very faint but the UHC enhanced the view a little. M20 (Trifid) showed the same, faint but some improvement with the UHC. I think the 0III would be better on these. Its now getting on for 23.15 and I'm all but ready to call it a day as the clouds are gathering. Yvonne showed with a brew and for being cheeky to her, a clip round the back of my head. Well....I told her I loved her for bringing my tea. Yvonne asked if it was love at first sight. I replied Yes, but it was my own fault as I should have taken a second look. Whack (and a kiss and a cuddle .)
While supping my brew I took a look at M23. Its a lovey open cluster to finish on.
23.45 and the clouds are here. To be fair, the forecast was for long clear spells, which I got, with intermittent cloudy periods.
All in all a good few hours.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6062844 - 09/04/13 02:55 PM

Peter, here I am sitting in my office not in the best of moods in anticipation of my annual physical about to happen in a couple of hours. As you might know at a certain age you get the really special procedure! Well I have to say your post really cheered me up and it gave me a nice chuckle or two and it got my mind off of what is to come!! What a really good report and I say cheers friend It sounds like you had a good observation session and a laugh with the missy too! I'm looking forward to getting my filter in and giving it a go. Sounds like you had a good time of it once you got that scope going to the right object always a good thing instead of looking at the floor of your observatory, g. Good report sir, yes indeed. Take care...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6062881 - 09/04/13 03:18 PM

Many thanks Tony. Your kind words are much appreciated. Pleased its helping your day along. Its what a hobby is all about to me, enjoyment and having fun.
Hope your "Procedure" goes well. The last time I had it done, many years ago (nobody outside of these four walls enacts a "procedure" on me these days ) I took a firm hold of part of the doctors anatomy and told him that one false move and his voice would be a few octaves higher than it was and remain so. All went well and was over in next to no time.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6063779 - 09/05/13 04:14 AM

Hi,

There is a lesson to be learned from my near Goto accident in my report above.
I have my slew limit set to 5deg in order to prevent such accidents. However, when I first pressed Enter to start my Goto, the scope did not move. Instead of looking at the handset, which would have been giving me the option of continuing or aborting, I wrongly assumed I had not press the Enter key hard enough and pressed it again, which happens to be the key you press to tell the scope to continue. As luck would have it, I was, thankfully, watching the scope and was able to prevent any serious damage.......Lesson Learned.

Regards. Peter.

hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6064302 - 09/05/13 12:04 PM

Last night was very good. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being poorest and 10 being best Iíd rate the sky about 8 Ĺ to 9. How I rate that is by using my green laser pointer. The stars were pretty bright but I could see the beam from my pointer which indicates some haziness in the air. The stars were steady with no twinkling another good sign. But enough of this scientific stuff the night was good enough not to pass up getting the scope out, and that I did.

Some of you will recall the problems I was having with the Go To features. Well thanks to Tel and you too Peter that seems to be a thing of the past, with an occasional glitch. The glitch being the scope will not go to M-13. Gets close but no cigar. Everything else was spot on or damned close. I plugged in M-11 and there it was , inside the FOV at about 4:00 oíclock. Next up was M-27 and another ďBingoĒ. This one also in the field of view but closer to center at around 8:00 oíclock. Iím feeling great. I decide to try for some variables and have somewhat of a let down. Iím not sure if the ďGo ToĒ got them but I assume that they were close. My problem was identifying the field. I find the new AAVSO charts just a little short of useless. There is no grid lines to tell you where you should be and worst of all when a major bright star occurs in the field Itís not identified. The other thing is the variables that I went to that are listed in the menu have such a small range from Min to Max that I gave up on variable (For the present time) and went to the list of double stars. Now my 8se really showed itís stuff. I canít begin to name all the doubles that I went to but most were in Cass, Bootes, Ceph, & U Ma.

Itís now getting about on to 9:30 and disaster strike. Iím in Ursa Major and I tell the scope to go to a double in Cassiopeia. The scope starts off, get about half way there and stops. Whatís going on? Is it rebelling? I plug in Polaris and just like it should off it goes and Polaris is dead center. I select another double and the scope dutifully start up and then suddenly everything goes blank. I get up to make sure that something has not flipped the switch off and just as mysteriously as the scope shut down it now comes back to life and wants to go thru the alignment process.

My back is starting to kick up so I decide to pack it in. While taking down the equipment I have my battery in hand and push the button to tell me how much battery life I have. Whoops!!! Thereís the culprit. I have to charge the battery. Whew!!!

All in all Iím getting more exited about this scope every time I use it.

Fred

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6064496 - 09/05/13 01:48 PM

Thanks for your great report Fred. So pleased you had a good time and good seeing to boot. My seeing was good the other night, specialy down close to the horizon, which in its self is quite odd. Good to hear you managed the problems you encountered on the hoof. Some targets are usually better placed in the FOV than others, although I suspect some of last night were due to low power.

M11 is a lovely object. If you get the chance, and you are able to, next time your in that area of sky, head down from M11 into Sagittarius. The Eagle, Omega, Trifid and Lagoon Nebula's, to name a few, all sit in wonderful star fields (Milky Way). You may not see much by way of Nebulosity, but the clusters/star fields will blow you way. Re your power problems, I have done the same more than once. The mind goes everywhere as to the cause. Its a relief to find its down to our forgetfulness, is it not Fred??
Your 8se is a great scope and I'm sure you are going to enjoy many such nights.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #6068968 - 09/08/13 07:05 AM

Morning all,

Got up around 4ish this morning, had clear skies, took the scope out, and stayed out until 6:30ish. I didn't do much Messier observing other then my friend M42. Mostly I sat and waited for Jupiter to come over the trees. I watch Jupiter pretty much all morning long. One of the moons went behind Jupiter, I was hoping I could see a transition, but alas, it never came out from behind. I think the moon was Io, but still being new, I am not sure. Still, I love this hobby and it is very relaxing. I did play around with my Zhumell UHC Filter some. I forgot I had it until the other day when I was going through my eyepiece case. It really didn't do much for Jupiter but I could see a difference with M42. All in all, I had a great morning viewing session.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6068971 - 09/08/13 07:12 AM

Thanks for the report Ben. Being relaxed and enjoying is what it's all about. Jupiter transits are wonderful, sorry you missed out. Jupiter should be in my night skies come December. Glad you rediscovered your UHC, should see some action come the winter months.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6074100 - 09/10/13 10:55 PM

We've had clouds in my area so observing has been minimal. Thunderstorms have been rolling through central Texas today but no rain at my house but plenty of clouds I did get my DGM NPB filter in today but not gonna be able to try it it till it clears up. It's been quite on here so maybe that's because everyone has some clear sky due to all the clouds being here Seriously I do hope you all have been getting some good observing in!

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6074360 - 09/11/13 03:29 AM

Same here Tony. It seem I could not buy a clear sky if I wanted to. The weather is set to stay unsettled for the next seven days at least.
Good to hear your filter has arrived. Hope you get to try it out soon.

Let's know how the weather is in your area guys and gals. Better than Tony's and mine I hope.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6079282 - 09/13/13 07:35 PM

Well same ol' same ol' No observing tonight. Hope you guys are fairing better! It's hot too, still 96F out there, g.

hamdul
sage

#6079546 - 09/13/13 10:36 PM

Daddy,
I had questions regarding the O-III filter so put the question on the eyepiece forum. Got enough answers to make your head swim. Some of the answers were enlightening others were almost like that story about the aerodynamic engineer that could prove that it was aerodynamically impossible for a bee to fly. At one point I thought WW-III was about to erupt. All in all tho it had a lot of useful info. One thing I discovered was that the Celestron O-III and UHC filters are really Baader filters and Astro Agena seems to have the best price.

Fred

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6079644 - 09/13/13 11:56 PM

Fred,
Oh yea... I was keeping up with it! There were a lot of emails, some of which I found useful. I ordered the DGM NPB and got it in the other day. I have clouds most every night so I have not been able to check it out though! I think I read where you ordered a filter, a narrow band type from what I remember. On that thread, I found one chap a little verbose on his knowledge and proud of his heritage I'll add an OIII filter at some point and then I should be covered unless I buy some of the colored filters for planets. Have a good weekend and hope you have clear skies friend ....

hamdul
sage

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6080565 - 09/14/13 02:59 PM

Tony,
Well, I did it....After flipping, flopping, flipping, flopping and flipping from O-III to UHC, I finally settled on the O-III. Just placed the order with Agena Astro. This is not so much to inform you as it is to warn you.....Cloudy weather should arrive East of the Mississippi in about 3 to 4 days...

Fred

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10425

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics