Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6094266 - 09/21/13 11:22 PM

What started off as a bang ended in a spray!! Clear night after yesterdays front and rain cleared the area and no moon I wanted to try my new NPB filter out tonight. Alignment was good but went south due to loose wing nut and leg sliding in a bit I was able to correct and get objects in field of view with a little button pushing, g. Due to trees and where I set up, I had from straight up overhead down to south. I checked M57 for a few minutes and went down to Sagittarius. I checked out a few GC's like M22, M28 and M55. Nice resolution on these with 17mm plossl and 11mm ES 82. Next I hit some emission nebula. Started with M8 (Lagoon). I could tell it was there with no filter and then put in my broadband filter. There was an improvement over the naked eye. I switched to the NPB and wow what a nice view. It was a nice improvement over the broadband. Dew was beginning to show up so I quickly moved on to M16, M17, M20, and 4685. The NPB did a good job on these so I'm happy with the purchase and will begin looking for an OIII. All during this I kept hearing something moving around on the other side of the fence. I have ranch land behind me with deer, coyotes, turkeys , and cattle. I crept to the fence and peeked over switching on my light. Mistake, startled a fat skunk and blammo, spray baby spray! While I didn't get any on me due to the fence blocking the burst of aroma, it was still thick with overwhelming smell! My wife heard the commotion of me trying to back step from the fence and busting my behind when I tripped. Pewee.... what a smell! Well having somewhat watery eyes I quickly determined I'd seen enough and called it a night. Lessons learned, the DGM NPB is a good filter and lesson two, leave skunks alone Now to go get a hot shower and plan for the next session...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #6094547 - 09/22/13 05:31 AM

Great report, Tony. I have been eyeing the NPB filter. But I didn't see a report on it like you did. Do you think it will work well in a Red Zone?

As for skunks, yeah, I leave those things alone. Glad you didn't get sprayed. The only thing I have seen get the smell out was tomato juice.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6094644 - 09/22/13 08:35 AM

Nice report Tony. I have a NPB filter (Orion Ultrablock) but made the mistake of getting the SCT threaded unit. It's great if all you are going to observe are nebulae or use it for imaging. I also have an OIII and that works great. It shows a little different perspective than the NPB.

Sorry about your close encounter !

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6094741 - 09/22/13 09:59 AM

Quote:

Great report, Tony. I have been eyeing the NPB filter. But I didn't see a report on it like you did. Do you think it will work well in a Red Zone?

As for skunks, yeah, I leave those things alone. Glad you didn't get sprayed. The only thing I have seen get the smell out was tomato juice.

Hi Ben, I live in in Orange zone, just out of Red. I have a lot of sky glow to my south from Austin. The DGM NPB definitely was a good improvement on the emission nebula. From my observation spot in my back yard, I have never seen these nebula's as well. Now granted, my main scope is only 6" but with the NPB I was able to detect the dark dust lanes much better than the Orion Skyglow filter. The was very apparent on the Trifid nebula. The sky was much darker with the NPB so it seemed to filter out the sky glow very well. I stayed with the 17mm plossl and the 11mm ES 82 which was around 88X and 136X. Based upon my experience in an Orange zone, I believe you would find the NPB useful in the Red zone where you are at. Thanks .... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6094749 - 09/22/13 10:03 AM

Quote:

Nice report Tony. I have a NPB filter (Orion Ultrablock) but made the mistake of getting the SCT threaded unit. It's great if all you are going to observe are nebulae or use it for imaging. I also have an OIII and that works great. It shows a little different perspective than the NPB.

Sorry about your close encounter !

James, I like the NPB filter and think it will be very useful. I need to get an OIII filter now and then I think I would be set, g. The Ultrablock is a very good filter too based on the reports I've read, as is the Lumicon UHC. I don't think I'll be looking over the fence if I hear something crawling around, g!! Thanks, Tony

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #6094771 - 09/22/13 10:18 AM

Tony, that was a great report of your session thanks for sharing. Skunks are simply amazing, I was observing one night out on my deck (pre-observatory days) back then I quite often had my orange and white cat, Celeste, keeping me company while viewing. I was totally engrossed with viewing through the eyepiece when I felt her brush up against my leg I lowered my hand to stroke her soft fur and felt a much courser texture than expected. When I looked down I saw I was petting a skunk! I froze and the little black and white beast just waddled away into the darkness( no harm no foul, smell).
Be Well
Grey

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6094951 - 09/22/13 12:08 PM

Lovely report Tony. Glad you manage to test out your NPB filter. From what you say, it's going to prove to be a fine addition to your astro gear. You picked a good area for testing it too, Saggi others plenty of good object well suited to the use of deep sky filters.
I will have the loan of an O111 filter shortly (thanks to one of our C.N friends). No names no pack drill, but there wont be Mushroom in my E.P case at this rate. Still, it fits the Bill. I'll give a report on its use as soon as is possible.
Fortunately, Skunks are not a problem round here. Plenty of neighbourhood cats and a couple of resident foxes is all I can lay claim to. Pleased you escaped from the encounter with nothing more than a bad smell to cope with, although from what I hear, it's bad enough.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6095102 - 09/22/13 01:47 PM

Grey, Wow That was a close encounter of the skunk kind I've never quite had that happen before with a skunk. I'm sure it must have enjoyed the petting and then decided it better get back to what ever business it needed to do, g. I can imagine what went through your mind when you thought something was up and when you looked down "yikes" Thanks!.... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6095118 - 09/22/13 01:56 PM

Thanks Peter! I hope it is clear again tonight as it is very nice right now. I look forward to hearing your report on the OIII after you give it a run. I'll be looking for one soon because I think they are very effective on certain objects. Glad you don't have any skunks too! I really expected what I heard would be one of our armadillos rooting around but that was not the case this time, g. Sagittarius is fairly low right now so I have to catch it before it gets behind trees in my yard. That's the problem I have, no really good spot to set up where I can get a good 360 view. I have to set up depending on what I'd like to look at. But I agree that Saggi is a good place for EN's, and for me, a good area to try a filter out because it has me looking back to the southern sky glow of the city. I need to learn how to sketch so I can record some of what I see but for now I enjoy visual. Thanks and hope you get some clear sky tonight... Tony

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #6095168 - 09/22/13 02:27 PM

Quote:

Grey, Wow That was a close encounter of the skunk kind I've never quite had that happen before with a skunk. I'm sure it must have enjoyed the petting and then decided it better get back to what ever business it needed to do, g. I can imagine what went through your mind when you thought something was up and when you looked down "yikes" Thanks!.... Tony

Decades ago,having a pet de-scented skunk was not common but not unheard of in the country;certainly safer than the "exotics" some keep now.I encountered a skunk on midnight and we went our seperate ways at normal pace without any excitement.

But scaring a skunk might let you say" conditions really stank last night!"

As for the sky last night Moon limited what I could glimpse and didn't stay up fot the pre-dawn views.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: BigC]
      #6095214 - 09/22/13 03:12 PM

I've known people in the past who had pet skunks. I guess they made good ones. We had dogs and cats when I was growing up! Don't startle skunks and just stick to observing and everything should be okay

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6095971 - 09/22/13 11:05 PM

Tonight looked very promising so I set up my refractor. Had a quick look at Venus and while cool, I discovered I had a bit of flaring to one side. May need to collimate it soon. Went back out when it was darker and discovered that my neighbors had the back light on. Kinda of ruins it for me So I packed it in with an action item for the scope. I heard a great horned owl off in the distance. I've listened to both (male / female couple) over the last 4 or so years and it is always a calming and relaxing sound to hear while observing. Also checked out the new (or updated) dark sky map and lucky me, I'm in a red zone now. Oh well Hope some of you were able to get out for some observing ...

hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #6097454 - 09/23/13 09:22 PM

Let's just call this 1/2 first light with my O-III filter. The sky at 8:00 P.M. Crystal Clear. So I set up. Unfortunately temp. was 50 deg.(f) and falling, and at this time of the year I don't have the cold weather clothes out. Best I had was an insulated hoodie so I put that on and prepared to brave the elements

Alignment went well and so I chose M-8 as my first Go To. The scope stopped and looking in the E.P. there it was. To be honest tho If Some one else had pointed their scope at it and told me to look I would never noticed the nebula. All I saw was a dim, and I mean dim, fuzzy spot. I'm looking at it with a 32mm Ortho so out comes a 26mm Plossl with O-III attached. Plop this in the diagonal, give a look, focus, and WOW!!!!. What a difference. This could be come addictive. I then select M-16, The Eagle Push enter the scope climbs up, wigles a little bit and stops. I peer in the E.P and NOTHING and I do mean nothing. Not even a star. I look up and there is this humungous cloud passing the area. Being that I'm patience personified I sit and wait. In the cold mind you. The cloud finally passes and I give a look. There it is but not nearly as good as the Lagoon.
I give the sky another look and more clouds are present. so with the combination of clouds and cold, I surrender, pack up and come in the house to do my report and watch the football game.

All things considered and with the little use that it's got I more than pleased with the O-III.

Fred

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6097610 - 09/23/13 10:57 PM

Hamdul - Good report on the OIII and chilly weather with hoodie These filter can be a big help as you found out... same for me the other night with the NPB. Much better views with the filters. Sounds like you had a good view of the Lagoon nebula before the clouds rolled in. I'm glad you enjoyed the new filter! I'd like to get one too. Great report and look forward to hearing more as you are able to get out. You might want to get those warmer close out just in case, g....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6104229 - 09/27/13 01:22 PM

HI,

I have a fair chance of some observing this week-end. It is forecast to clear later tonight (22.00)ish, but judging by the state of the sky as of now (18.15), it's will have to "go" some. However, optimist that I am, the dome is open and the scope is ready to go.
Saturday night appears to be a slightly better bet with clear skies forecast from 21.00 onwards.
I will gladly accept either one of the two.

Good luck to all.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6104641 - 09/27/13 05:33 PM

Hi Peter, Hope it clears for you. We have clouds and rain currently in the area. Pretty much the weekend it sounds like. I'll be looking forward to a good report from you if the clouds cooperate for you good luck...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6106953 - 09/29/13 05:06 AM

Well Tony me old mucka, the clouds, for the most part, stayed away. There were however, long lines of very thin high cloud in some parts of the sky.

I was out by 20.30 with Ursa Major my intended target. Thin cloud was present there but undetered, I slewed to Alcor, a lovely start that did'nt disappoint. M106 next. Not the best view due to the cloud but the I could make out the brighter center area and a hint of a grey hallow. Much the same with M94 which at best was a small grey smudge. Because of the reduced light of the objects, the UHC made little difference. M81 was better. The central area was much brighter and the spiral arms, in the form of a surrounding grey disk, were easy to see. With the filter on I thought, at x200, that I could see a little structure, but it could have been my Brain helping me out. M82 on the other hand was disappointing. I suspect it was in a thicker patch of cloud, (which was very hard to see in the dark) as I saw nothing but a long grey smudge with, despite my best efforts, no detail.
Time to leave Ursa Major so set course for M13. Anyone who gets tried of seeing M13 is in the wrong hobby, IMO. It looked wonderful as it slide into view at the end of the Goto. This part of the sky was clear and lots of structure could be seen even with the 26mm E.P. Put the zoom in and spent a great half hour zooming in slowly. I managed to "break" up the center area and was left with my FOV ablaze with small bright stars, dark patches and dark lanes producing arm like features within the cluster. All this at x350ish, what a reward. Dragged myself away but only to a similar sight with M92. I've always thought of M92 as a smaller version of M13 which seems to be much overlooked. It was brilliant on Friday night and, as with M13, took mags of over x300.
Took a look at open clusters NGC6811, 6709 and 6633 ( I love open clusters) and then on to M57 the ring nebula. For so reason best known to myself, I have failed to look at M57 on my last two outings in the area. It was great to see it enter the field of view. The UHC was a help and the ring ring stood out well. It took mags down to around x180 but was best at around x150.
It's was getting on for 23.30 and I was ready for packing up when I realised I had not viewed a Planet since we lost Saturn early in the year. I remedied that by taking a look at first Neptune, which showed a lovely disk at x180 and Uranus, which showed the same. It was good to view them. I finished the last of my tea, (two pint flask) and with Yvonne's help, shut up for the night.
Just a note, the arm a bought (details higher up in this thread) to hold my ipad worked very well. It will be a great asset.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6107142 - 09/29/13 10:06 AM

Peter, Great report and thanks for posting! I'm glad you were able to get out and observe Ursa Major is a cool constellation and has many nice objects. Hercules has some nice sights and M13 is always a nice stop. I can't wait to get a larger OTA for some of these globulars. Were you using the 11" or 8" on these? Open clusters are cool too. I haven't seen Neptune or Uranus in a long time. I'd probably need a larger scope. Sounds like you had a good time of observing and some good tea Nice report! We have had rain most of yesterday and through the night. We needed it though due to a severe drought we have been in.... Tony

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #6113494 - 10/02/13 04:24 PM

This was for yesterday morning. Which is garbage day. It was around 5am. Looked up and saw a wonderful sky. I didn't feel like pulling out the scope, so I grabbed my binos. Enjoyed viewing M42 as always and Jupiter. Straight over head was a fuzzy blob. I was like, OH!! Andromeda!! But then realized, that couldn't be Andromeda. So I looked at it. It was the Pleiades M45. Granted, it was straight up, but a nice sight. I know the people leaving for work must have thought I was nuts. Then the wife came out to see what was taking me so long to come back in the house. I gave her the binos to do some looking also. Spent an hour just looking at the sky. Too bad I had to get ready for work.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: ben2112]
      #6113869 - 10/02/13 07:31 PM

Ben2112 - Good report! Good old binocs, a really quick way to get some viewing in Soooooooo, what did the wife think after she did some viewing with the binoculars?? Maybe there is a new astronomer in the making! Nice report..... Tony

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10422

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics