Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6114002 - 10/02/13 08:48 PM

Tony - She is my astro partner. She loves coming out and seeing what I am looking at. Always asking what is that while pointing at a star or nebula.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6114113 - 10/02/13 09:34 PM

Quote:

Tony - She is my astro partner. She loves coming out and seeing what I am looking at. Always asking what is that while pointing at a star or nebula.

Man that's so cool! My wife could care less but she doesn't mind me spending time out observing. I wished the wife and I could enjoy it together but I don't believe she'll ever develop an interest. Now my daughter was my little astro companion but now she's grown up, married and moved away It's fun when she visits though Thanks again for the nice report on the early morning sky! Maybe those neighbors will come have a look sometime, g....

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #6117261 - 10/04/13 01:12 PM

Tony,

Sorry for not responding to your post sooner. Marked it in my mind, (silly thing to do) to reply to and....

Thanks for your kind words. Yes I was using the bigger scope. I'm in the process of clearing a space in the shed so that I can store the 8se fully assembled. It would be good to run it along side the CPC1100 and compare views of certain objects.

Hope the rain has illeviated some of the problems in your area and, if so, will now disperse and give you some clear nights.

Upgrading is in our blood I suppose, but in the meantime, you have a great scope in the 6se. I started out my goto experience with the 6se and loved it. I was, quite honestly, a little reluctant to part with it. I finelly gave in and progressed to the 8se. The 11" will be the stopping point for some time to come.

Tonights forecast is a bit hit and miss. If it does clear enough it will be a good night to be out. For the time of year it is very mild, around 16deg C as I type (18.10.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6117333 - 10/04/13 01:58 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Here's a delayed report with picture attached. Had a weird weekend that called for clear skies all 3 nights. Set up on Saturday but then clouds rolled in. Set up for Sunday night and the night was clear. I went around to M13 and 92 in Herc. and did a bit of viewing of M57 and 27. I tried imaging M27 the Dumbell but have yet to go through the data. I hibernated the scope at midnight to get some rest then set the alarm for 4 a.m. to catch Jupiter. Got to see Jupiter for the first time this season and imaged it. Sorry no GRS but decent shots were captured. I am going to post the rest on a separate thread.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6118418 - 10/05/13 02:21 AM

I just came in. Looked at the Andromeda Galaxy. I waited and looked at the Pleiades. I then realized Uranus was up so I slewed over to Uranus. Not much to look at but a nice blue dot, and I can mark it off my list of seen planets. I was going to wait for Orion to clear some trees when I realized fog was starting to roll in. That is when I decided to pack it up and come inside. I am hoping the weather holds out and I get to do some more observing this weekend. 26 days to my Green Zone cabin. Can't wait.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6120729 - 10/06/13 02:36 PM

Peter, Mighty fine,g... That will be nice if you can get your 8SE in with the 11". I'll look forward to a comparison of the two when you have the time! We had a cold front come through yesterday. It was raining last night around 2:30am. Nice and clear looking today. May be clear tonight too. Take care and hope you keep some clear skies... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6120731 - 10/06/13 02:37 PM

James - great picture of Jupiter!! Pretty good detail too... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6120737 - 10/06/13 02:38 PM

Ben2112, Good report! Too bad about the fog and not much longer to go for the green zone!! Tony

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6120760 - 10/06/13 02:57 PM

Tony, Yeah.. I am excited. I got up early this morning and went outside. Guess what? FOG!!! Again. It's just that time of year around here. The humidity should be dropping soon. Dryer air means better seeing.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6120896 - 10/06/13 04:21 PM

James, Smashing report. Pleased the skies co-operated on Sunday night to allow you some scope time. Thanks for the image of Jupiter.

Ben, Pleased you too got some observing time. Uranus and Neptune for that matter, are never too good through the eyepiece but, as you say, its nice just to have seen them.
Thanks for the images.

Tony, Sorry to confuse. By "Shed" I meant my garden shed, not the Skyshed. From my garden shed I will set up the 8se next to the Obs and move between the two. Slow work in my condition but what the H..., its worth it when your having fun and I've all the time in the world. Got to clear that space first though.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6121100 - 10/06/13 06:37 PM

Peter, Oops, yea I misunderstood I don't have me a shed of any type Now you know what shape we yanks are in Later...

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6121305 - 10/06/13 09:03 PM

Well, I just saw my first Iridium Flare. While sitting on the front porch with the wife, I noticed this bright object in the sky. At first, I thought it was star, but then it was moving. I looked at the wife and said, "Is that light moving?" She said, "yeah, but I don't think it's a plane. I don't see any blinking red lights." So I ran into the house and grabbed the binos. I thought it was the ISS, but it turned out to be an Iridium Flare. It lasted for about 5mins or so. It was pretty neat.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6121351 - 10/06/13 09:28 PM

Cool I haven't seen one for awhile but it's pretty cool to see! Hey I better get outside and have a look around, g....

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6125839 - 10/08/13 08:56 PM

I was out for a few minutes last night with my old 7X35 binoculars and checked out one of my favorite star systems; 30, 31 and 32 Cyg. What cool colors, blue and to me a ruddy orange! Pretty colorful in binoculars and pretty good in a wide angle telescopic view too. Check them out with binoculars when you are out next time. I always enjoy the view!

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6126900 - 10/09/13 12:30 PM

Very good chance of being able to observe tonight. All forecasts (4) give the Green light. Only spanner in the works will be the strenght of the wind. As long as it get no stronger, 14 to 17 MPH at present, I should be O.K.

Wishing you all clear skies.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6127105 - 10/09/13 02:08 PM

Peter, sounds good. Maybe the wind will stay calm for you! Not sure what I'll get tonight but it's clear and blue now. Check out the stars I mentioned if you get a chance...

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6127211 - 10/09/13 03:02 PM

Good luck and clear skies, Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6129056 - 10/10/13 01:04 PM

Thanks Tony. Thanks Ben.

The clouds held off to give me a forecast 2 hours window. The wind picked up a little more but observing was do-able.

I was ready to goto my first object by 19 30. I intended to try for a few Nebula in order to test out a O111 filter kindly loaned to me by Andy.
M8 (Lagoon)and associated NGCs was a bit disappointing due to the fact that it was only about 9deg above my horizon and the Nebula was washed out by fine thin cloud. The star cluster showed through so all was not lost. M17 (Omega) next. The Nebula was not visible without a filter. There was a hint of Nebula with the UHC with the stars in the field showing up well. The Nebula stuck out like a sore thumb with the O111 with some detail visible, but the stars were some-what lost. Again, not at its best at only 16deg. On to M16 (eagle) with its lovely O.C. The Nelula showed well in both the UHC and the O111. It was difficult to decided which view was best. On just the Nebula I guess the O111 had the edge as the Nebula was that bit brighter with a some detail showing. Again, at 16deg above the horizon its not realy a fair test. (all the previous objects were sinking in the West). The veil Nebula's East and West gave only a slight hint of there glory in what was average seeing at 66deg. The O111 again showing a little more of a hint than the UHC.
On to the best object of the night NGC 6940. This is a wonderful open cluster which filled my FOV with a plethora of points of light. It was worthy of a tea and biscuit break. 21.15 now and the forecasts are proving to be correct with clouds massing in the West. Paid a visit to M27 (Dumbbell) in order to do a final test for the night on the O111. Surprisingly, to me anyway, the UHC give the better view. M27 was much sharper through the UHC with the O111 view being darker than I exspected. I put each filter into a 8mm x 24mm zoom. The view through the O111 disintegrated as I zoomed in. Through the UHC it stayed steady down to 18mm (x155).
21.45 now and I have very little skies left. So I finished my brew and called it a night. The O111 did well on some of my targets. I'll give it a few more runs as the opportunities arise. Just to add, the O111 is a one and a quarter inch filter and the UHC a two inch. This fact seemed to be making a difference in the quality of the views. ( Comments please ).

And Finely :- Tony, I did not read your reminder to look at Omicron 1 and 2 Cyg (thanks for the info) before I went out, and I did not remember to do so, sorry. I've put a note in the Obs for next time out.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6130084 - 10/10/13 10:43 PM

Peter, Good report and glad you were able to get some observing in! Nice to hear about your filter testing too. I haven't added an OIII yet but it's on my list, g. Glad you enjoyed your view of NGC 6940! Sounds like it was a gem I don't think I've tried it with my 6SE but I'm adding it to my list to try. It has a mag of around 6.3 so it should be a good view. Glad you were able to enjoy some tea too! Good report and let me know what you think of O1 / O2 Cyg. I think the colors are nice.... Tony

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6130133 - 10/10/13 11:14 PM

Peter - This might sound like a strange question, but has anyone ever used a filter wheel to test various filters for visual observing?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12957

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics