Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Visual Observers Reports and Discussions.
      #6023387 - 08/13/13 04:27 PM

Hi,
With the thread we visual observers have been using, "Hope some of you guys are out there tonight" getting a bit long in the tooth, and a little diverse in subject matter, I thought it would be a good idea to open a new post dedicated to the visual side of our hobby. Anyone with a visaul report to make, regardless of his/her main interest in the hobby, is invited to post their visual observations here. This would be mainly for Celestron,Nexstar scopes, but I'm sure the Mods won't mind reports from "other" scopes we own.

Sorry I don't have a report to start the ball rolling. The weather still refuses to play ball.

If you lads respond and start posting here, all well and good. If not, I will ask the Mods to delete it. Please let me know how you feel about it.

Regards. Peter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6023739 - 08/13/13 06:56 PM

Sorry your weather hasn't been cooperating with you, Peter.

I was out Saturday night but the humidity was pretty thick. I did get to see M31 and could barely make out M8. Wanted to stay out long enough to see the Pleiades, but I was getting tired so I packed it in. Seeing was dismal. Come on cooler weather.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6023874 - 08/13/13 08:18 PM

Sorry I don't have a report, but I like the idea and like to hear about what others see, how they observe, what filters and accessories work or don't work. If you feel we need to retire the other thread then I will post my next report here.

nodalpoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6023915 - 08/13/13 08:39 PM

Saturday and Sunday I was in relatively dark skies to see some Perseids. No scope with me but used my planetary cam to make a Milky Way time lapse. Captured a few meteors in the process. Really slow but when I was packing to leave I saw one of the best meteors of my life, a real smoker with green flame and a fragments breaking off.

Earlier Sunday I brought my scope out to get a shot of the moon. Last night the clouds were coming fast but I set the scope up on the deck and managed to get in 45 minutes of lunar observing and trying out my new Baader zoom. The seeing wasn't too good and thin clouds were moving through (a nice sight, really) but it was pleasant out. I quick solar system align on the moon did a fine enough job of tracking.

It should clear up later in the week and I hope to take my scope out to some dark skies for a bit of fun with no camera involved but the moon will be in the way.

I've posted this in another thread:

Shot over the last month:

Edited by nodalpoint (08/13/13 08:45 PM)

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Loc: Central Texas
      #6024003 - 08/13/13 09:26 PM

Peter,
Spot on! I think this is a good idea

Weather hasn't been the best here. I planned on doing some observing when my daughter was down this past weekend but we had a lot of clouds. I did get out with a pair of 7X35 binocs with a very wide FOV and enjoyed Sagittarius and Scorpio. I was out last night for awhile and I saw one very good Perseid that last about 2 seconds. Nothing after that. Hope to get out some this weekend if it is clear...

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6024550 - 08/14/13 07:20 AM

Hi Ben,
Thanks for your support. Good you were, I like me last week, able to snatch some time to observe.
Unfortunately, Sagittarius and it's wealth of goodies never gets much above 17deg for me at 53 and a bit North, with M11 topping out at around 30 deg. The good side is that it skirts my horizon for 3 months or more, so I get a few goes at it.

Hi James,
Thanks for your support. We'll see how it developers. Should be good to exchange experiences both viewing and equipment wise, plus the god awful weather.

Hi Nodalpoint,
Many thanks for your report and support. Pleased you managed to capture a few of the Perseids. Well done on seeing the "green flame beauty". The show has been clouded out so far here in Yorkshire. May catch one or two still if the skies clear.

Hi Tony,
Thanks too for your support. Hope others will use it too. It would be able to throw ideas/ viewing experiences etc around in one place. Time will tell. Good to hear you saw something while your daughter was visiting. Binoculars are a good fall back when all else fails.

Let's hope our skies clear soon.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6026510 - 08/15/13 05:23 AM

Looks like Friday night is the best chance I'll have for any observing this week, and even that forecast is iffy.
Will try for Sagittarius and surrounding area again if the forecast holds good.

Regards. Peter.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
      #6027175 - 08/15/13 01:23 PM

great idea Peter,

we can see so much with these scopes, it is nice to discuss of what we see and not only what we play with

i will start by writing that buying the Herschell 400 book by Steve o'meara is a great idea. it gives observation goals doable with the 8se.

from a dark site i managed to see the faint galaxy near M13. only a faint fuzzy but before i started using this guide i was unaware of its existence. the fun is mainly to use charts and finder without using the go to.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: coutleef]
      #6027826 - 08/15/13 06:53 PM

That is a book I've been thinking about too. I've also been wanting to get the new (1 volume all sky edition) Uranometria 2000.0 I'll probably get it first. Not observing tonight as it looks like a few thunderstorms are moving in...

Just read the thread on the field book, "Objects in the Heavens" and ordered it. Looks like it will be a good field book...

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6027829 - 08/15/13 06:54 PM

nodalpoint - Nice pictures...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6028688 - 08/16/13 08:21 AM

Hi Francois,

Herschel 400 is indeed a good book to have. I have it along with Turn left at Orion, which looks like it is based on the same format as, although much less detailed, Herschel 400.

As for it being fun using charts instead of Goto, I 'm afraid I have to disagree. The fun for me is in observing heavenly objects, not spending half my time trying to find them.
When I switched from my slow mo controlled Newt to the Goto 6se it was one of those " why did I wait so long " moments. I know, I'm a lazy begger.

Thanks for your support. Look forward to yours, and everyone else's, further contributions.

Regards. Peter.

coutleef
Post Laureate

#6028811 - 08/16/13 09:53 AM

go to is great from the city but searching with charts is a lot of fun from a dark site. goto is also great when i feel lazy. or when i have a list of targets that is longer than my grocery list of the week (teenagers at home still).

nodalpoint
scholastic sledgehammer

#6029201 - 08/16/13 01:33 PM

More looking the moon the last couple nights and trying out the Baader zoon. For lunar it's a great eyepiece, for deep sky I think I'll need to get a couple dedicated ep's with a better field of view.

Tonight should be good for seeing the nova if the moon doesn't wash out the sky too badly. Using the NexStar mount go to Stars>Asterisms>Diamond Cluster. The nova should be somewhere northwest of that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I realize this is a visual observing thread but I'm attaching a couple photos. I'm able to put my ASI120MM camera into the scope and take images of what I'm looking at, quick and dirty. Even though my background is in fine arts, I can't draw well enough to make decent stick figures so sketching is a no go. This is my substitute.

coutleef
Post Laureate

#6029230 - 08/16/13 01:51 PM

i do not call these photos quick and dirty

they are excellent, very nice job

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6029363 - 08/16/13 03:02 PM

Hi nodalpoint,
Your pics are very good and welcome, they being done while observing. Thanks for your report.

To compliment the Baader zoom, I have 3 W.A eyepieces of 26mm, 30mm and 38mm. All are 2" E.Ps in order to maximize the F.O.V
My skies are clear right now, so I too am making preps for a nights observing.

Regards. Peter.

nodalpoint
scholastic sledgehammer

#6031032 - 08/17/13 01:59 PM

Thanks for the encouragement!

Last night the moon was too bright to do anything but look at the moon, and seeing how I'm new to owning a telescope, of course I'm going to look at it. I made images of Clavius and Copernicus while sitting at the eyepiece (it's kind of sci fi to me) then turned my attention to the new nova. I was able to find it pretty fast and made a quick capture to see if I could line up the stars with online photos of the nova to make sure I had it. With the moon out it was not a naked eye object from my vantage point. Nevertheless, it was easy to find both by going to nearby NGC 6905 or putting in the RA/Dec.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6031962 - 08/17/13 11:23 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

I got some time in behind the eyepiece on Friday night. The clouds cleared out around 11pm local time, but I had prepared and set up before hand . I got aligned pretty quickly and slewed over to Neptune first. The moon had set behind some buildings to my west so it was too late for lunar observing. I took a couple of quick videos of Neptune and Uranus before doing some visual observing of DSO and a few double stars. I don't know why but I'm always drawn to the same targets. I guess a lot has to do with what is possible with so much skyglow and obtrusive light fixtures. I checked in on M57 and 27 right away. I noticed that M27 seemed much dimmer than usual. I think if it is not directly overhead that it gets washed out in the glow. I popped in the OIII and that helped darken the sky and increase some details. The ring seemed bright as ever and adding the filter increased the contrast and made it look bigger. I went to M13 and M92 and they seem to be decent targets for the city. M31 is always fun to go for even if it is in the direction of that "Bleeping" street light! Soon it will be overhead and maybe I'll capture it. Went to a couple of doubles before I packed it in around 2:30 a.m.

I've attached some pics even though you can't see much detail in the planets. Thanks for looking.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6031964 - 08/17/13 11:24 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

First one is Neptune and this is Uranus. Like you couldn't tell

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6032259 - 08/18/13 04:29 AM

I did finally manage to get out on Friday night. The Sun set around 20.30 so I was in the dome by 21.30. The sky at this time was perfectly clear. Had to abandon my original plan to observe in around Sagittarius due to the presence of the Moon. Had a quick look at the same before centering Rasalhague in order to tweak my collimation. Let the fun begin. First time I've done this and to help me, there's two screws in a line and one above, leaving me to guess which one is the A screw. Start turning this one and that one as per the chart, but things through the eyepiece are getting worse not better. Another turn and back to eyepiece and Rasalhague has all but gone. Looked up and the sky is blanketed with clouds. Sat it out for 40 minutes when to sky is now patchy at best. Finally turned a screw that improved things, well there's only 3 so I was going to hit the right one at some time. Managed to get it as close as a knats hang down giving me great views for the rest of the night.

First target was M11. It is a gem of an O.C. and looked great in the 26 mm 70 deg E.P. On to NGC6823 a nice, if small O.C. Then on to the Coat Hanger Asterism. This is a favourite of mine and looks great in the 9x50 finder. M27 (Dumbbell) next. Spent time here with the UHC filter making a world of difference. Lots of wispy cloud about but x200 showed some detail and lots of nebula. Next was NGC6834 an unusual OC. it's shaped roughly like an edge on galaxy with a line of 5 brightish stars running along the Lenght of the cluster. Took in I.C 4756. This is a lovely rich open cluster come star field. Best view was again through the 9 x 50 finder. Had a quick look at OCs NGC6709 and 6934 before popping along to G C M15. Stars were easily resolved in the 11inch and at x230 it put on a great display. Clouds are now gathering (23.30) with a vengeance, but I press on to M2 for another excellent view of a GC. Then on to NGC 7009 the Saturn Nebula. Not the greatest view due to the fact that it was low in the sky (25deg) and in hazy cloud. None the less, the UHC filter enhanced the view. It's now 00.30 and the clouds are making it difficult to continue. Had another look at M11 and called it a draw or the night.
The 1100 performed flawlessly. Same brilliant optics as the 8se but with 3 inches of extra aperture to make everything bigger and brighter. The other big advantage it the stability. The 1100 on it's tripod is rock steady.
On the two nebula I viewed, the UHC filter made a big difference. Well worth the price.
All in all I had a great 3 hours or so in the company of a fine telescope.

Edit... For the Open clusters I use my 26mm, 30mm, and 38mm 70deg eyepieces. I use the Baader zoom on M15, M2 and the Saturn Nebula.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (08/18/13 12:04 PM)

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #6032306 - 08/18/13 05:27 AM

Some of the best lunar landscape images I've seen, Nodalpoint ! Many congratulations !

If these are quick and dirty, I'll certainly be one of the first to put on the running shoes and hide the soap !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6032311 - 08/18/13 05:37 AM

Hi James,

I too attempted a shot at Uranus,.... back in '06. No detail but just nice to say I'd "got" it !

What I like about your two images, (if shot under the same conditions), is the well illustrated comparison in the distance related size between Uranus and Neptune.

Congratulations on such a presentation !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6032331 - 08/18/13 06:21 AM

Many thanks for your input Tel. Much appreciated.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6032377 - 08/18/13 08:02 AM

Great report James. Many thanks. Glad you put your O111 filter to good use on M57 and M27. I am toying with the idea of adding the O111 to go with my UHC. The UHC is doing all I want at the moment so I'm undecided. Missed out on M57 on Friday, skipped passed it on my list. Hope you got a good view in the end. Neptune and Uranus are too low here for any useful observing. Good images from you of the two, thanks.
I see you stayed out longer than me, you old night rake.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6032461 - 08/18/13 09:22 AM

Thanks Tel & Peter for the comments on my captures. I always like to show what I see when possible. Nice detailed report Peter, looks like that 1100 is a keeper! Nice that you finally got her collimated and the weather cooperated.

Sorry I'm not familiar with your English slang. Could you explain a "night rake". Believe me I paid for it the next day. The kids wake up early and make plenty of noise . My forecast called for clouds last night, but by 9:00 it cleared. Unfortunately, this old night rake was dead tired !

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6032495 - 08/18/13 09:43 AM

James, Good catches! I like the colors and I hope to catch them at some point... good job....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6032498 - 08/18/13 09:44 AM

For Night Rake read.... Dirty old Stay-out.

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards. Peter.

Klausthaler

Reged: 04/09/07

Loc: Augsburg, Germany
      #6032507 - 08/18/13 09:49 AM

Although my English is very limited, I would guess, "night rake" means the same as "night owl", that would be "Nachteule" in German.

Best regards,
Klaus

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6032534 - 08/18/13 10:08 AM

I was able to get set up around 9 PM CST. Moon was very bright but the sky was clear but a little washed out from the moon. I did a two star alignment on Antares and Arcturus as I have a limited FOV of the sky where I set up at in my yard. I first headed to Zeta Lyr to have a look. Beautiful yellowish - white to my eyes. I've been wanting to try out a new EP that I had received, a Silver Top 45mm and they were stunning in color with this EP. I like the EP but you can experience blackout as many have indicated on this EP if you move your head any but boy what a nice view. I then moved to Epsilon Lyr, the double double. I could discern both splits at about 88X in a 17mm plossl. I then moved to Polaris because I wanted to see if I could pick out the 9th mag companion with the brightness of the sky. No problems and I enjoyed the view of a yellowish Polaris and whiter companion. I had a quick look towards the Moons brightness at M7 in Scorpius. This is always a splendid open cluster and I enjoy the various colored stars in the group. I had another quick look at M103 and enjoyed the various colors of the star group. I spent a little time looking at Antares, Arcturus, Vega, Deneb. I packed it in around 1 AM and I think I forgot some other objects I looked at because I wasn't writing them down like I was supposed to do! I've been trying to hone my observation skills on binaries and individual stars and see if my viewing experience matches what I read in the various atlases and books. I had a good time and it was nice to get a little observing in...

Edited by CelestronDaddy (08/18/13 01:47 PM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6032755 - 08/18/13 12:16 PM

Nice report Tony. Pleased the weather held you you. Not spent much time looking at individual stars. Sound like good fun. Must give it a try. When around Ursa Major, Mizar is always worth a look. I too thought the Moon was very bright. Hope you got good views of M7 and M103. Not seen them for a while.
Sounds like you enjoyed the night.

Regards. Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Klausthaler]
      #6032900 - 08/18/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

Although my English is very limited, I would guess, "night rake" means the same as "night owl", that would be "Nachteule" in German.

Best regards,
Klaus

Waere Dein Englisch ueberhaupt begrenzt, Klaus, dann ....... ?

Aber keineswegs ! Es ist einfach augezeichnet !

So weit aber als es sich um >>Nachteulen<< handelt, hast Du recht, obwohl der Begriff << Night Rake<< noch eine tiefere und vielleicht finstere Bedeutung als <<Night Owl> hat.

Beim <<Night Owl>> geht es um anstaendige Leute wie wir, die nachtsueber, wenn moeglich, nur den Himmel beobachten, aber beim Begriff <<Night Rake>> geht es um solche >>Nachteulen<<, die nachts vom (Baum)-Stamm-(Tisch) zum Naechsten fliegen !

Best regards,
Tel

Just noticed at least one grammatical error on my part, Klaus,; hence the edit !

Edited by Tel (08/19/13 04:04 AM)

Klausthaler

Reged: 04/09/07

Loc: Augsburg, Germany
      #6033002 - 08/18/13 02:40 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Hi Tel,

you wrote:
Quote:

Beim <<Night Owl>> geht es um anstaendige Leute wie wir, die nachtsueber, wenn moeglich, nur den Himmel beobachten, aber beim Begriff <<Night Rake>> geht es um solche >>Nachteulen<<, die nachts vom (Baum)-Stamm-(Tisch) zum Naechsten fliegen !

Now I know, what a "Night Rake" is. I'm happy to be a friendly "night owl".

Thanks for your comments on my English. I learned it at school, but I have never been to England or the U.S. Reading the forums on Cloudy Nights and reading english articles about astronomy helps me a lot.

Tel, Du kannst ja Deutsch!

Ist das Wallingford, wo Du wohnst in England (UK) oder in Neu-England (USA)?

Viele Gre,
Klaus

BTW: I managed to get the exact same "pirates scope", I used to have fun with as a child. Unfortunately, it comes without Goto and there's no "Pirate Scopes" forum on Cloudy Nights.

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#6033033 - 08/18/13 03:05 PM

Love the "pirate's 'scope, Klaus !It's a pity it lacks GoTo otherwise I'd make you an offer !

I live in Wallingford, England (UK), although I believe our town is twinned, (Zwillingsstaedte) with Wallingford Connecticut, US.

Regarding myself, I'm English but German by marriage !

To explain: my wife, Hildegard, comes from Oberhausen, (im Ruhrgebiet) but long before we met in the UK, I worked for about two years for a German company in Hamburg ca. 46 years ago; hence a little knowledge of the language, land and people.

Best regards,
Tel

hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #6033804 - 08/19/13 12:00 AM

Klaus und Tel,
I love it. I'm reading you posts with a big smile on my face

Fred

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6033961 - 08/19/13 04:07 AM

Thanks, Fred, a little light heartedness is always good for the soul !

Best regards,
Tel

hamdul
sage

#6034160 - 08/19/13 09:00 AM

Tel,
ich sprechen ein bitzen Deutsche, aber nicht ser gut.

in other words I struggled with your post
Fred

Tel
Postmaster

#6034364 - 08/19/13 11:20 AM

Hi Fred,

Fully understood your German, but if you were struggling with mine, (and only Klaus can tell with all certainly as to its accuracy), I was trying to explain to him the subtle difference between night owls and night rakes; the first relating to those upstanding citizens like, of course, ourselves who merely spend our nights observing the heavens, while the "other", more sinisterly, is more likely to be found flitting from one bar stool to another .... or worse !

Best regards,
Tel

coutleef
Post Laureate

#6035304 - 08/19/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

Great report James. Many thanks. Glad you put your O111 filter to good use on M57 and M27. I am toying with the idea of adding the O111 to go with my UHC. The UHC is doing all I want at the moment so I'm undecided. Missed out on M57 on Friday, skipped passed it on my list. Hope you got a good view in the end. Neptune and Uranus are too low here for any useful observing. Good images from you of the two, thanks.
I see you stayed out longer than me, you old night rake.

Regards. Peter.

The olll filter is your next step, especially for planetary nebulas and for the veil. I have one from celestron and it works well without costing much. I now ended up using more frequently my olll than uhc filter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6035848 - 08/20/13 04:47 AM

Thanks Francois, I probably will take the plunge and buy a O111 filter following your advice. I intended to try the UHC on the veil while I was observing on Friday night, but clouds were in the way.

Regards. Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

#6035890 - 08/20/13 06:24 AM

Hi Peter,

Just a thought, adding to Francois' recommendation.

If you intend getting an Olll filter, it's perhaps wise to specify that it's, (in your case), for visual use only.

Those used for imaging are different in as much as they normally permit IR to pass through them as a bonus feature for this facet of out hobby but one which is unnecessary for visual use.

Hence and pleasingly so, the Olll "visuals" are cheaper but nonetheless effective in their particular design.

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6035908 - 08/20/13 06:55 AM

Hi Tel.

Many thanks for that. It is something that would not have crossed my mind to look out for. And to add to that, I'm all for Cheaper.

Will be in touch soon.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6035966 - 08/20/13 08:04 AM

Good info... I need to add an OIII and UHC at some point .

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6044728 - 08/25/13 06:28 AM

Hi Tony,

Saw your comments in the "hope some of you" thread. Same here in Yorkshire I'm afraid. Not had a sniff of a clear night since my last report. Cloudy skies and heavy rain have been the order of the day.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6044878 - 08/25/13 09:54 AM

Hi Peter, Sounds like you had those darned clouds too! At around 11 PM I checked and to the west I got a nice visual view of Arcturus peeking through a small cloud break. I got up last night around 3 am and it had cleared quite nicely but I was to tired to set up Maybe it will be clear for us tonight!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6046810 - 08/26/13 11:30 AM

Thought I'd ask this here instead of starting a new thread since it relates to visual astronomy with a NexStar. In looking at filters like O-III and UHC, Lumicon seems to be at the top in performance and quality. What about Baader filters? They're less expensive than Lumicon but do they seem to perform as well? I'd like to add an O-III and UHC 1.25" filter to my observing tools. I look forward to any comments on experience with Baader, or for that matter, any other brand too....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6046985 - 08/26/13 01:08 PM

Hi Tony,
I went for the Castell UHC filter

http://www.365astronomy.com/castell-uhc-deepsky-filter-for-2inch-eyepieces-p-...

which is far from the dearest. On the nebula I have used it on so far, (limited in number due to lack of observing time), which include M16, NGC6888, M27, NGC7009, and M42 the view of the objects was greatly enhanced. Some that I could bearly see without the filter in place, i.e M16(Eagle Nebula) and NGC7009(Saturn nebula) were much brighter and showed some structure. They become objects that you can spend some time on with different magnifications etc. M27 and M42 were outstanding through the filter. Now thinking of adding the Castell O111 filter to my collection.
I have no experience with any other UHC filters, but I am more than pleased with the one I have and have no thoughts of changing it for one of the dearer branded filters.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6047007 - 08/26/13 01:24 PM

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply on filters. Sounds like yours works well. I've only got the Orion Skyglow and it doesn't perform well enough from my experience. I see a few listed on CN sometimes but I guess I need to do a little more research. I know that one guy here on CN has done an in depth thread and I've read it and that is why I'm looking at these two types. I'm just not familiar with the brands other than Lumicon, Baader and Orion. We have lots of clouds today and we have a chance for rain today. Boy we really need it for the yards! Thanks again and hope you have a good day....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6047023 - 08/26/13 01:37 PM

Thanks Tony. From what I've read, I don't think you'll go far wrong with either a Lumicon,Baader or Orion filter.

Got my fingers crossed here in Leeds, clear skies as of 18.30. Dark enough around 21.00.

Good luck with the filter.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6047519 - 08/26/13 06:46 PM

Peter - Hope it is clear and dark at your location! Look forward to a report if it is. I have been wanting to catch some good doubles. It's still cloudy here and looks like some rain on the radar! have fun ...

coutleef
Post Laureate

#6047566 - 08/26/13 07:25 PM

I have an ultrablock from orion and it is an excellent uhc filter

As for oiii filters baader and celestron are the same so go on price.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6047604 - 08/26/13 07:57 PM

Franois, Thanks for the reply! I didn't know if the Orion UltraBlock was similar to the UHC but it sounds like it is. I see those in the classifieds sometimes. Baader seems to be good from what I've read too. Thanks for the info...

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #6047612 - 08/26/13 08:04 PM

Agena Astro also has a selection in both 1.25" and 2".

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #6047671 - 08/26/13 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info on the website. I'll check it out 73's de KM5JH

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6047846 - 08/26/13 10:27 PM

Don't overlook Astronomik filters, very rugged, scratch resistant coatings. I have a Lumicon OIII, Orion ultrablock, and an Astronomik Ha. All work great. I just ordered an Orion Skyglow imaging filter to help with LP.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6047948 - 08/26/13 11:21 PM

James, Thanks and I'll check out the Astronomiks too! Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6049448 - 08/27/13 06:51 PM

Peter, How did it go? Did you keep the clear skies and were you able to get some viewing in?

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6050094 - 08/28/13 06:06 AM

Hi Tony,
Thanks for enquiring. The skies turned very mirky making seeing conditions almost impossible. No stars were visible below about 50deg. Thought about Cygnus but it was too close to Zenith for comfortable viewing. Finely settled for Cassiopeia but only manage 35 minutes or so before the mirk became all invasive. Still, it gave me an hour out.

Sorry for the late report, been a bit hectic, in a nice way, around here.

Hope you and everyone else do better in the coming days.

Regards. Peter

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6050340 - 08/28/13 09:52 AM

Peter, Sorry that those clouds started edging back in on you and cramped your viewing. At least you got a bit of viewing in! I'll be out of town this weekend so no observing for me. I plan on taking some astronomy reading along though! Maybe it will slow down a little for you... Cheers

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6058931 - 09/02/13 09:55 AM

Hi,

For any U.K members who may be interested, there's a used 3 bay Sky Shed P.O.D for sale listed in U.K Astronomy Buy and Sell. It is priced at 1500 which, in my opinion, is a bargain. It's not mine BTW. Can't see me ever parting with mine. nor have I anything to do with the vendor.

Why not take a look.

Regards. Peter

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6058962 - 09/02/13 10:20 AM

After researching this a bit and talking to some local astronomers, I ordered the DGM NBP. Should be in next week and I'm anxious to give it a try. I'll add an OIII at some point and call it quits with filters. We were out of town this labor day weekend and didn't get any observing in. Turned out it was pretty cloudy anyway...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6059119 - 09/02/13 12:03 PM

Good for you Tony. Lets know what you think of the Narrow Band Pass after you've used it a couple or four times.
I'm still hanging fire on the OIII until I've used the U.H.C a few more times.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6059175 - 09/02/13 12:32 PM

Hi Peter, yea the OIII is a very good filter! I'll let you know what my impressions are with the NPB when it comes in and I get to use it a few times. I think between the NPB / UHC and OIII type filters you are covered pretty good with them! Good to hear from you....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6061111 - 09/03/13 02:02 PM

Hi,

I've just opened the dome to allow for cooling. The weather forecast is a bit hit and miss, but if it turns out a hit, then I want to be ready.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6061142 - 09/03/13 02:34 PM

Peter, Hope it clears for you! We had a thunder shower come through last night. Really needed it too. Will be looking forward to a report if it clears up for you...

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #6061290 - 09/03/13 04:19 PM

That is a picture of my first scope! Observed the moon and the moons of Jupiter with it in the late 1970"s. Brings back great memories. IIRC, it was a Revue 25x40mm scope.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6062227 - 09/04/13 07:38 AM

Quote:

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply on filters. Sounds like yours works well. I've only got the Orion Skyglow and it doesn't perform well enough from my experience. I see a few listed on CN sometimes but I guess I need to do a little more research. I know that one guy here on CN has done an in depth thread and I've read it and that is why I'm looking at these two types. I'm just not familiar with the brands other than Lumicon, Baader and Orion. We have lots of clouds today and we have a chance for rain today. Boy we really need it for the yards! Thanks again and hope you have a good day....

The UHC and OIII are much more restrictive of light pollution than the gentler Skyglow. Most folks , particularly in sky's that have significant light pollution find the skyglow type filters too tame.

Pete

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6062449 - 09/04/13 10:47 AM

Hi Pete, I've got an NPB ordered. I hope it will be a useful addition and I'll add an OIII soon. I'm sure the Skyglow offers some usefulness in my orange zone but it appears more minimal to me! Thanks ...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6062798 - 09/04/13 02:23 PM

It was a HIT and what a fun start. Was in the dome and ready to go by 21.00 having woken the scope from Hibernation. Thought I'd go to an easy and well loved target to start with so selected, as I thought, M11. I park the scope at an angle of about 45deg so having pressed ENTER the scope is heading downwards (M11 being at 26deg). Instead of stopping where I expected it to, it carried on until, with the front of the scope now pointing at the floor, I calmly ( ) stopped the Goto with an arrow key. The cause, instead of typing M011 I had typed M001 so the scope was heading for the Crab and not the Duck. Now I did'nt know where the Crab was at 21.00 on a Tuesday night but it sure as H... was'nt gracing my skies. after re-Hibernating and waking up I had M11 in my sights looking lovely as always. I intended to stay in Saggy but did a quick visit to the dumbbell to further test the UHC filter. It did not disappoint. It was a large dim gray ball without but a large much brighter and dumbbell shaped object with. The scope was not fully cooled so M27 was "bouncing" a little, but it took x150 showing some structure. Back down to Saggy and M17 (Omega). How's this Tony, without the UHC I could not see M17. Popped it on and it stood out like a good un. It's a great sight sat as it is in a lovely star field (as are most objects in Saggy) milky way and all that. Although at only 14deg, the air was very still and I managed x 160ish on M17. On to M16 (the Eagle) is much more defused but again sits in a lovely star field. The nebula was whispy but the UHC brought out the best in it. Decided to take a look at M14 G.C but failed to see it. Saw M10 G.C which was very faint but O.K, but M14 alluded me for some reason. Nipped down (only 5deg above my horizon) to M8 The Lagoon. It was very faint but the UHC enhanced the view a little. M20 (Trifid) showed the same, faint but some improvement with the UHC. I think the 0III would be better on these. Its now getting on for 23.15 and I'm all but ready to call it a day as the clouds are gathering. Yvonne showed with a brew and for being cheeky to her, a clip round the back of my head. Well....I told her I loved her for bringing my tea. Yvonne asked if it was love at first sight. I replied Yes, but it was my own fault as I should have taken a second look. Whack (and a kiss and a cuddle .)
While supping my brew I took a look at M23. Its a lovey open cluster to finish on.
23.45 and the clouds are here. To be fair, the forecast was for long clear spells, which I got, with intermittent cloudy periods.
All in all a good few hours.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6062844 - 09/04/13 02:55 PM

Peter, here I am sitting in my office not in the best of moods in anticipation of my annual physical about to happen in a couple of hours. As you might know at a certain age you get the really special procedure! Well I have to say your post really cheered me up and it gave me a nice chuckle or two and it got my mind off of what is to come!! What a really good report and I say cheers friend It sounds like you had a good observation session and a laugh with the missy too! I'm looking forward to getting my filter in and giving it a go. Sounds like you had a good time of it once you got that scope going to the right object always a good thing instead of looking at the floor of your observatory, g. Good report sir, yes indeed. Take care...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6062881 - 09/04/13 03:18 PM

Many thanks Tony. Your kind words are much appreciated. Pleased its helping your day along. Its what a hobby is all about to me, enjoyment and having fun.
Hope your "Procedure" goes well. The last time I had it done, many years ago (nobody outside of these four walls enacts a "procedure" on me these days ) I took a firm hold of part of the doctors anatomy and told him that one false move and his voice would be a few octaves higher than it was and remain so. All went well and was over in next to no time.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6063779 - 09/05/13 04:14 AM

Hi,

There is a lesson to be learned from my near Goto accident in my report above.
I have my slew limit set to 5deg in order to prevent such accidents. However, when I first pressed Enter to start my Goto, the scope did not move. Instead of looking at the handset, which would have been giving me the option of continuing or aborting, I wrongly assumed I had not press the Enter key hard enough and pressed it again, which happens to be the key you press to tell the scope to continue. As luck would have it, I was, thankfully, watching the scope and was able to prevent any serious damage.......Lesson Learned.

Regards. Peter.

hamdul
sage

#6064302 - 09/05/13 12:04 PM

Last night was very good. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being poorest and 10 being best Id rate the sky about 8 to 9. How I rate that is by using my green laser pointer. The stars were pretty bright but I could see the beam from my pointer which indicates some haziness in the air. The stars were steady with no twinkling another good sign. But enough of this scientific stuff the night was good enough not to pass up getting the scope out, and that I did.

Some of you will recall the problems I was having with the Go To features. Well thanks to Tel and you too Peter that seems to be a thing of the past, with an occasional glitch. The glitch being the scope will not go to M-13. Gets close but no cigar. Everything else was spot on or damned close. I plugged in M-11 and there it was , inside the FOV at about 4:00 oclock. Next up was M-27 and another Bingo. This one also in the field of view but closer to center at around 8:00 oclock. Im feeling great. I decide to try for some variables and have somewhat of a let down. Im not sure if the Go To got them but I assume that they were close. My problem was identifying the field. I find the new AAVSO charts just a little short of useless. There is no grid lines to tell you where you should be and worst of all when a major bright star occurs in the field Its not identified. The other thing is the variables that I went to that are listed in the menu have such a small range from Min to Max that I gave up on variable (For the present time) and went to the list of double stars. Now my 8se really showed its stuff. I cant begin to name all the doubles that I went to but most were in Cass, Bootes, Ceph, & U Ma.

Its now getting about on to 9:30 and disaster strike. Im in Ursa Major and I tell the scope to go to a double in Cassiopeia. The scope starts off, get about half way there and stops. Whats going on? Is it rebelling? I plug in Polaris and just like it should off it goes and Polaris is dead center. I select another double and the scope dutifully start up and then suddenly everything goes blank. I get up to make sure that something has not flipped the switch off and just as mysteriously as the scope shut down it now comes back to life and wants to go thru the alignment process.

My back is starting to kick up so I decide to pack it in. While taking down the equipment I have my battery in hand and push the button to tell me how much battery life I have. Whoops!!! Theres the culprit. I have to charge the battery. Whew!!!

All in all Im getting more exited about this scope every time I use it.

Fred

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6064496 - 09/05/13 01:48 PM

Thanks for your great report Fred. So pleased you had a good time and good seeing to boot. My seeing was good the other night, specialy down close to the horizon, which in its self is quite odd. Good to hear you managed the problems you encountered on the hoof. Some targets are usually better placed in the FOV than others, although I suspect some of last night were due to low power.

M11 is a lovely object. If you get the chance, and you are able to, next time your in that area of sky, head down from M11 into Sagittarius. The Eagle, Omega, Trifid and Lagoon Nebula's, to name a few, all sit in wonderful star fields (Milky Way). You may not see much by way of Nebulosity, but the clusters/star fields will blow you way. Re your power problems, I have done the same more than once. The mind goes everywhere as to the cause. Its a relief to find its down to our forgetfulness, is it not Fred??
Your 8se is a great scope and I'm sure you are going to enjoy many such nights.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6068968 - 09/08/13 07:05 AM

Morning all,

Got up around 4ish this morning, had clear skies, took the scope out, and stayed out until 6:30ish. I didn't do much Messier observing other then my friend M42. Mostly I sat and waited for Jupiter to come over the trees. I watch Jupiter pretty much all morning long. One of the moons went behind Jupiter, I was hoping I could see a transition, but alas, it never came out from behind. I think the moon was Io, but still being new, I am not sure. Still, I love this hobby and it is very relaxing. I did play around with my Zhumell UHC Filter some. I forgot I had it until the other day when I was going through my eyepiece case. It really didn't do much for Jupiter but I could see a difference with M42. All in all, I had a great morning viewing session.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6068971 - 09/08/13 07:12 AM

Thanks for the report Ben. Being relaxed and enjoying is what it's all about. Jupiter transits are wonderful, sorry you missed out. Jupiter should be in my night skies come December. Glad you rediscovered your UHC, should see some action come the winter months.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6074100 - 09/10/13 10:55 PM

We've had clouds in my area so observing has been minimal. Thunderstorms have been rolling through central Texas today but no rain at my house but plenty of clouds I did get my DGM NPB filter in today but not gonna be able to try it it till it clears up. It's been quite on here so maybe that's because everyone has some clear sky due to all the clouds being here Seriously I do hope you all have been getting some good observing in!

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6074360 - 09/11/13 03:29 AM

Same here Tony. It seem I could not buy a clear sky if I wanted to. The weather is set to stay unsettled for the next seven days at least.
Good to hear your filter has arrived. Hope you get to try it out soon.

Let's know how the weather is in your area guys and gals. Better than Tony's and mine I hope.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6079282 - 09/13/13 07:35 PM

Well same ol' same ol' No observing tonight. Hope you guys are fairing better! It's hot too, still 96F out there, g.

hamdul
sage

#6079546 - 09/13/13 10:36 PM

Daddy,
I had questions regarding the O-III filter so put the question on the eyepiece forum. Got enough answers to make your head swim. Some of the answers were enlightening others were almost like that story about the aerodynamic engineer that could prove that it was aerodynamically impossible for a bee to fly. At one point I thought WW-III was about to erupt. All in all tho it had a lot of useful info. One thing I discovered was that the Celestron O-III and UHC filters are really Baader filters and Astro Agena seems to have the best price.

Fred

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6079644 - 09/13/13 11:56 PM

Fred,
Oh yea... I was keeping up with it! There were a lot of emails, some of which I found useful. I ordered the DGM NPB and got it in the other day. I have clouds most every night so I have not been able to check it out though! I think I read where you ordered a filter, a narrow band type from what I remember. On that thread, I found one chap a little verbose on his knowledge and proud of his heritage I'll add an OIII filter at some point and then I should be covered unless I buy some of the colored filters for planets. Have a good weekend and hope you have clear skies friend ....

hamdul
sage

#6080565 - 09/14/13 02:59 PM

Tony,
Well, I did it....After flipping, flopping, flipping, flopping and flipping from O-III to UHC, I finally settled on the O-III. Just placed the order with Agena Astro. This is not so much to inform you as it is to warn you.....Cloudy weather should arrive East of the Mississippi in about 3 to 4 days...

Fred

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6081637 - 09/15/13 07:53 AM

Went out around 5ish to observe Jupiter and M42 again. Seeing was about 2/5 but had clear skies. Came in around 6:40.

On a side note: I came back in the house to check something after setting up. The wife came down and noticed that door was open and thought I was outside. She started making coffee for herself. I sneaked up behind her and scared her. She was a good sport about it. She came outside with me and we observed together. And right before I about to tear down, my daughter came out and looked at Jupiter some. It has been a really great morning.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6081835 - 09/15/13 10:47 AM

Well done Ben. Good to hear you had a family gathering under the stars. Hope your good lady did'nt spill the coffee (beans)due to your "Surprise"

I managed a couple of hours last night between 21.15 and 23.15 ish. Had a large hole in the clouds so took a look at the Moon for a half hour or so. Then M11. Seeing was good and at x230 the small brighter stars of M11 looked like lots of pearls on a grey backdrop. On to the Coathanger Astrerism. Its a lovely sight in my 9x50 finderscope. Popped over to M15 and again, at around x230 I was treated to a great view. Lots of the lanes and arms of stars showing up well. Dumbbell Nebula next. The view was again greatly enhanced by the use of my UHC filter. Took in a few of the NGC open clusters in the area before finishing with a look at Albireo. With the good conditions, I could see the "Blue" component in the finder.
I know its the same area of sky as last time out, but it was the only clear patch I had, and as any clear skies are few and far between, I was not going to miss the oppertunity to get out.
A good two hours under a fine patch of sky.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6082065 - 09/15/13 01:28 PM

That great to hear, Peter. I know how frustrating it can be when you can't get any observing in. That was basically my entire summer. 6 weeks of steady rain and then clouds from there on.

And no Peter, she didn't spill any coffee.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6082467 - 09/15/13 05:21 PM

Fred, Way to go!! I don't have an OIII but I'll get one at some point. Let me know what you think of yours after observing and using it. Can't wait to use my narrow band but we've had clouds plus I was out of town this weekend. Just got in and well it is still cloudy here. I hope you don't get socked in with clouds! Usually what happens when someone buys something Look forward to your report!... Tony

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6083332 - 09/16/13 06:51 AM

Well done Fred, As Tony says, we will expect a report when your Oxygen 3 filter has had a run out. I am still hovering over wether to add one to go with the UHC. Tony's NPB is giving him problems weather wise by the looks of things. but when he gets the chance, we can look forward to his report too.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6084486 - 09/16/13 06:33 PM

Peter, I must be jinxed! Still got clouds and rain showers in the area! I may have a NPB for sale cheap if it doesn't clear any, On the flip side, I have been doing some good astronomy reading. We really need the rain so maybe it will rain and water the yards. Of course that means faster growing grass that needs mowing Hope you all have been doing well.....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6085268 - 09/17/13 03:48 AM

Good you are able to catch up on your reading Tony, and also that the persistent rain is needed. So hang on to that filter, you will get to see through it eventually.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6087527 - 09/18/13 09:04 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Hi,

Here's a look at my latest tool. This is the Lavolta Adjustable Holder which I bought to hold my ipad in the dome. It will hold any tablet up to 10". One end of the holding bracket is fix and the other, of course is adjustable. It cost me 15 (24$). The gooseneck is a little stiff at the mo but I'm sure it will loosen up with use.
Bit difficult taking pics from inside the dome but here's the results.

The first one is the holder as it comes. (Outside the dome)

Regards. Peter

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6087528 - 09/18/13 09:05 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

In situ back view of ipad

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6087531 - 09/18/13 09:07 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

In situ front view running Sky Safari

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6087536 - 09/18/13 09:08 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

And finally, in situ without tablet.

Regards. Peter

hamdul
sage

#6088143 - 09/18/13 02:14 PM

Well my O-III arrived. The sky at this time ,2:00 P.M., Is clear as a bell no clouds.. BUT (Isn't there always a BUT) an almost full moon, and my clear sky clock says that's what to expect tonight as well. So I wait a few days and that gives me plenty of time to pray to the "Clear Sky Gods"
I also want to Offer a word of praise to Astro Agena. I placed the order last Saturday and of course the could not ship till Monday. Well on Monday it was shipped and it arrived today and that's from the West coast, and I'm on the East coast. That's Service.
Fred

P.S.
I was planning to permanently put my new O-III on my 32mm Brandon Ortho but alas the threads are not compatible with the filter threads. Second choice now is to permanently insert it on either a 26 mm TV plossl or a 25 mm Celestron E Lux plossl. Which should I do?

Edited by hamdul (09/18/13 03:05 PM)

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6088397 - 09/18/13 04:37 PM

Quote:

Well my O-III arrived. The sky at this time ,2:00 P.M., Is clear as a bell no clouds.. BUT (Isn't there always a BUT) an almost full moon, and my clear sky clock says that's what to expect tonight as well. So I wait a few days and that gives me plenty of time to pray to the "Clear Sky Gods"
I also want to Offer a word of praise to Astro Agena. I placed the order last Saturday and of course the could not ship till Monday. Well on Monday it was shipped and it arrived today and that's from the West coast, and I'm on the East coast. That's Service.
Fred

P.S.
I was planning to permanently put my new O-III on my 32mm Brandon Ortho but alas the threads are not compatible with the filter threads. Second choice now is to permanently insert it on either a 26 mm TV plossl or a 25 mm Celestron E Lux plossl. Which should I do?

Fred, Glad you got your new filter in and Astro Agena is a good company! Keep those fingers crossed that it clears up nicely for you I still have clouds and rain is in the forecast. I haven't been able to us my new filter either but I know it will eventually clear. I tried mine on several EP's and it worked. If you diagonal is threaded you may try it there too. I plan on using it with several different EP's, kinda mobile so to speak Keep us posted on your first light with the new filter, I bet you like it

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6088411 - 09/18/13 04:44 PM

Peter, What a cool holder! Thanks for posting pictures of it and your observatory. I'd like to see some more pictures of your observatory set up. I keep my stuff in my room also known as the man cave The wife doesn't like scopes set up in other part of the house She just doesn't get it I'm kidding and I've got a good one and I know it, g. Still clouds and kinda rainy looking so I'm enjoying the slightly cooler temps, currently 93. Again... thanks for the pictures... Tony

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
      #6088703 - 09/18/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

... P.S.

I recommend that you get a small ~$15 adapter that allows "foreign" filters to be attached to Vernonscope (Brandon) oculars. This will give you flexibility now and in the future. There are several sources for that adapter -- I got mine from Hands-on-Optics a few years back.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: JimK]
      #6092593 - 09/20/13 10:21 PM

Much rain and clouds today Guess we really needed the rain since we've been in a drought. No observing tonight but maybe Saturday night will be different. I ordered Volume 1 of the Night Sky Observer's Guide. It will come in handy for the fall and winter skies. Finished reading the September editions of Astronomy and S&T. Hope you guys are faring better with the clouds and such Clear Skies my friends....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6093773 - 09/21/13 04:40 PM

Thought I might be out tonight but the clouds have won again. There are gaps, but not large enough nor plentiful enough to make it worth while.
Enjoy your reading Tony. I took delivery of the Oct edition of the Sky at Night mag a few days ago, so I am well occupied too.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6093909 - 09/21/13 06:20 PM

Peter, Sorry a no go for you! I believe it may be clear here tonight... looks pretty good right now Sounds like you have some good reading anyway to keep you occupied while you have clouds. I'll check the weather out later and see what she looks like. Take care...

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6093943 - 09/21/13 06:46 PM

I don't know what is worse, cloudy skies on the weekend or clear skies and no time or energy to observe? Clear skies and energy to all!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6093990 - 09/21/13 07:17 PM

Quote:

I don't know what is worse, cloudy skies on the weekend or clear skies and no time or energy to observe? Clear skies and energy to all!

Well said!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6094266 - 09/21/13 11:22 PM

What started off as a bang ended in a spray!! Clear night after yesterdays front and rain cleared the area and no moon I wanted to try my new NPB filter out tonight. Alignment was good but went south due to loose wing nut and leg sliding in a bit I was able to correct and get objects in field of view with a little button pushing, g. Due to trees and where I set up, I had from straight up overhead down to south. I checked M57 for a few minutes and went down to Sagittarius. I checked out a few GC's like M22, M28 and M55. Nice resolution on these with 17mm plossl and 11mm ES 82. Next I hit some emission nebula. Started with M8 (Lagoon). I could tell it was there with no filter and then put in my broadband filter. There was an improvement over the naked eye. I switched to the NPB and wow what a nice view. It was a nice improvement over the broadband. Dew was beginning to show up so I quickly moved on to M16, M17, M20, and 4685. The NPB did a good job on these so I'm happy with the purchase and will begin looking for an OIII. All during this I kept hearing something moving around on the other side of the fence. I have ranch land behind me with deer, coyotes, turkeys , and cattle. I crept to the fence and peeked over switching on my light. Mistake, startled a fat skunk and blammo, spray baby spray! While I didn't get any on me due to the fence blocking the burst of aroma, it was still thick with overwhelming smell! My wife heard the commotion of me trying to back step from the fence and busting my behind when I tripped. Pewee.... what a smell! Well having somewhat watery eyes I quickly determined I'd seen enough and called it a night. Lessons learned, the DGM NPB is a good filter and lesson two, leave skunks alone Now to go get a hot shower and plan for the next session...

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6094547 - 09/22/13 05:31 AM

Great report, Tony. I have been eyeing the NPB filter. But I didn't see a report on it like you did. Do you think it will work well in a Red Zone?

As for skunks, yeah, I leave those things alone. Glad you didn't get sprayed. The only thing I have seen get the smell out was tomato juice.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6094644 - 09/22/13 08:35 AM

Nice report Tony. I have a NPB filter (Orion Ultrablock) but made the mistake of getting the SCT threaded unit. It's great if all you are going to observe are nebulae or use it for imaging. I also have an OIII and that works great. It shows a little different perspective than the NPB.

Sorry about your close encounter !

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6094741 - 09/22/13 09:59 AM

Quote:

Great report, Tony. I have been eyeing the NPB filter. But I didn't see a report on it like you did. Do you think it will work well in a Red Zone?

As for skunks, yeah, I leave those things alone. Glad you didn't get sprayed. The only thing I have seen get the smell out was tomato juice.

Hi Ben, I live in in Orange zone, just out of Red. I have a lot of sky glow to my south from Austin. The DGM NPB definitely was a good improvement on the emission nebula. From my observation spot in my back yard, I have never seen these nebula's as well. Now granted, my main scope is only 6" but with the NPB I was able to detect the dark dust lanes much better than the Orion Skyglow filter. The was very apparent on the Trifid nebula. The sky was much darker with the NPB so it seemed to filter out the sky glow very well. I stayed with the 17mm plossl and the 11mm ES 82 which was around 88X and 136X. Based upon my experience in an Orange zone, I believe you would find the NPB useful in the Red zone where you are at. Thanks .... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6094749 - 09/22/13 10:03 AM

Quote:

Nice report Tony. I have a NPB filter (Orion Ultrablock) but made the mistake of getting the SCT threaded unit. It's great if all you are going to observe are nebulae or use it for imaging. I also have an OIII and that works great. It shows a little different perspective than the NPB.

Sorry about your close encounter !

James, I like the NPB filter and think it will be very useful. I need to get an OIII filter now and then I think I would be set, g. The Ultrablock is a very good filter too based on the reports I've read, as is the Lumicon UHC. I don't think I'll be looking over the fence if I hear something crawling around, g!! Thanks, Tony

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #6094771 - 09/22/13 10:18 AM

Tony, that was a great report of your session thanks for sharing. Skunks are simply amazing, I was observing one night out on my deck (pre-observatory days) back then I quite often had my orange and white cat, Celeste, keeping me company while viewing. I was totally engrossed with viewing through the eyepiece when I felt her brush up against my leg I lowered my hand to stroke her soft fur and felt a much courser texture than expected. When I looked down I saw I was petting a skunk! I froze and the little black and white beast just waddled away into the darkness( no harm no foul, smell).
Be Well
Grey

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6094951 - 09/22/13 12:08 PM

Lovely report Tony. Glad you manage to test out your NPB filter. From what you say, it's going to prove to be a fine addition to your astro gear. You picked a good area for testing it too, Saggi others plenty of good object well suited to the use of deep sky filters.
I will have the loan of an O111 filter shortly (thanks to one of our C.N friends). No names no pack drill, but there wont be Mushroom in my E.P case at this rate. Still, it fits the Bill. I'll give a report on its use as soon as is possible.
Fortunately, Skunks are not a problem round here. Plenty of neighbourhood cats and a couple of resident foxes is all I can lay claim to. Pleased you escaped from the encounter with nothing more than a bad smell to cope with, although from what I hear, it's bad enough.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6095102 - 09/22/13 01:47 PM

Grey, Wow That was a close encounter of the skunk kind I've never quite had that happen before with a skunk. I'm sure it must have enjoyed the petting and then decided it better get back to what ever business it needed to do, g. I can imagine what went through your mind when you thought something was up and when you looked down "yikes" Thanks!.... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6095118 - 09/22/13 01:56 PM

Thanks Peter! I hope it is clear again tonight as it is very nice right now. I look forward to hearing your report on the OIII after you give it a run. I'll be looking for one soon because I think they are very effective on certain objects. Glad you don't have any skunks too! I really expected what I heard would be one of our armadillos rooting around but that was not the case this time, g. Sagittarius is fairly low right now so I have to catch it before it gets behind trees in my yard. That's the problem I have, no really good spot to set up where I can get a good 360 view. I have to set up depending on what I'd like to look at. But I agree that Saggi is a good place for EN's, and for me, a good area to try a filter out because it has me looking back to the southern sky glow of the city. I need to learn how to sketch so I can record some of what I see but for now I enjoy visual. Thanks and hope you get some clear sky tonight... Tony

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #6095168 - 09/22/13 02:27 PM

Quote:

Grey, Wow That was a close encounter of the skunk kind I've never quite had that happen before with a skunk. I'm sure it must have enjoyed the petting and then decided it better get back to what ever business it needed to do, g. I can imagine what went through your mind when you thought something was up and when you looked down "yikes" Thanks!.... Tony

Decades ago,having a pet de-scented skunk was not common but not unheard of in the country;certainly safer than the "exotics" some keep now.I encountered a skunk on midnight and we went our seperate ways at normal pace without any excitement.

But scaring a skunk might let you say" conditions really stank last night!"

As for the sky last night Moon limited what I could glimpse and didn't stay up fot the pre-dawn views.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: BigC]
      #6095214 - 09/22/13 03:12 PM

I've known people in the past who had pet skunks. I guess they made good ones. We had dogs and cats when I was growing up! Don't startle skunks and just stick to observing and everything should be okay

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6095971 - 09/22/13 11:05 PM

Tonight looked very promising so I set up my refractor. Had a quick look at Venus and while cool, I discovered I had a bit of flaring to one side. May need to collimate it soon. Went back out when it was darker and discovered that my neighbors had the back light on. Kinda of ruins it for me So I packed it in with an action item for the scope. I heard a great horned owl off in the distance. I've listened to both (male / female couple) over the last 4 or so years and it is always a calming and relaxing sound to hear while observing. Also checked out the new (or updated) dark sky map and lucky me, I'm in a red zone now. Oh well Hope some of you were able to get out for some observing ...

hamdul
sage

#6097454 - 09/23/13 09:22 PM

Let's just call this 1/2 first light with my O-III filter. The sky at 8:00 P.M. Crystal Clear. So I set up. Unfortunately temp. was 50 deg.(f) and falling, and at this time of the year I don't have the cold weather clothes out. Best I had was an insulated hoodie so I put that on and prepared to brave the elements

Alignment went well and so I chose M-8 as my first Go To. The scope stopped and looking in the E.P. there it was. To be honest tho If Some one else had pointed their scope at it and told me to look I would never noticed the nebula. All I saw was a dim, and I mean dim, fuzzy spot. I'm looking at it with a 32mm Ortho so out comes a 26mm Plossl with O-III attached. Plop this in the diagonal, give a look, focus, and WOW!!!!. What a difference. This could be come addictive. I then select M-16, The Eagle Push enter the scope climbs up, wigles a little bit and stops. I peer in the E.P and NOTHING and I do mean nothing. Not even a star. I look up and there is this humungous cloud passing the area. Being that I'm patience personified I sit and wait. In the cold mind you. The cloud finally passes and I give a look. There it is but not nearly as good as the Lagoon.
I give the sky another look and more clouds are present. so with the combination of clouds and cold, I surrender, pack up and come in the house to do my report and watch the football game.

All things considered and with the little use that it's got I more than pleased with the O-III.

Fred

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6097610 - 09/23/13 10:57 PM

Hamdul - Good report on the OIII and chilly weather with hoodie These filter can be a big help as you found out... same for me the other night with the NPB. Much better views with the filters. Sounds like you had a good view of the Lagoon nebula before the clouds rolled in. I'm glad you enjoyed the new filter! I'd like to get one too. Great report and look forward to hearing more as you are able to get out. You might want to get those warmer close out just in case, g....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6104229 - 09/27/13 01:22 PM

HI,

I have a fair chance of some observing this week-end. It is forecast to clear later tonight (22.00)ish, but judging by the state of the sky as of now (18.15), it's will have to "go" some. However, optimist that I am, the dome is open and the scope is ready to go.
Saturday night appears to be a slightly better bet with clear skies forecast from 21.00 onwards.
I will gladly accept either one of the two.

Good luck to all.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6104641 - 09/27/13 05:33 PM

Hi Peter, Hope it clears for you. We have clouds and rain currently in the area. Pretty much the weekend it sounds like. I'll be looking forward to a good report from you if the clouds cooperate for you good luck...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6106953 - 09/29/13 05:06 AM

Well Tony me old mucka, the clouds, for the most part, stayed away. There were however, long lines of very thin high cloud in some parts of the sky.

I was out by 20.30 with Ursa Major my intended target. Thin cloud was present there but undetered, I slewed to Alcor, a lovely start that did'nt disappoint. M106 next. Not the best view due to the cloud but the I could make out the brighter center area and a hint of a grey hallow. Much the same with M94 which at best was a small grey smudge. Because of the reduced light of the objects, the UHC made little difference. M81 was better. The central area was much brighter and the spiral arms, in the form of a surrounding grey disk, were easy to see. With the filter on I thought, at x200, that I could see a little structure, but it could have been my Brain helping me out. M82 on the other hand was disappointing. I suspect it was in a thicker patch of cloud, (which was very hard to see in the dark) as I saw nothing but a long grey smudge with, despite my best efforts, no detail.
Time to leave Ursa Major so set course for M13. Anyone who gets tried of seeing M13 is in the wrong hobby, IMO. It looked wonderful as it slide into view at the end of the Goto. This part of the sky was clear and lots of structure could be seen even with the 26mm E.P. Put the zoom in and spent a great half hour zooming in slowly. I managed to "break" up the center area and was left with my FOV ablaze with small bright stars, dark patches and dark lanes producing arm like features within the cluster. All this at x350ish, what a reward. Dragged myself away but only to a similar sight with M92. I've always thought of M92 as a smaller version of M13 which seems to be much overlooked. It was brilliant on Friday night and, as with M13, took mags of over x300.
Took a look at open clusters NGC6811, 6709 and 6633 ( I love open clusters) and then on to M57 the ring nebula. For so reason best known to myself, I have failed to look at M57 on my last two outings in the area. It was great to see it enter the field of view. The UHC was a help and the ring ring stood out well. It took mags down to around x180 but was best at around x150.
It's was getting on for 23.30 and I was ready for packing up when I realised I had not viewed a Planet since we lost Saturn early in the year. I remedied that by taking a look at first Neptune, which showed a lovely disk at x180 and Uranus, which showed the same. It was good to view them. I finished the last of my tea, (two pint flask) and with Yvonne's help, shut up for the night.
Just a note, the arm a bought (details higher up in this thread) to hold my ipad worked very well. It will be a great asset.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6107142 - 09/29/13 10:06 AM

Peter, Great report and thanks for posting! I'm glad you were able to get out and observe Ursa Major is a cool constellation and has many nice objects. Hercules has some nice sights and M13 is always a nice stop. I can't wait to get a larger OTA for some of these globulars. Were you using the 11" or 8" on these? Open clusters are cool too. I haven't seen Neptune or Uranus in a long time. I'd probably need a larger scope. Sounds like you had a good time of observing and some good tea Nice report! We have had rain most of yesterday and through the night. We needed it though due to a severe drought we have been in.... Tony

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6113494 - 10/02/13 04:24 PM

This was for yesterday morning. Which is garbage day. It was around 5am. Looked up and saw a wonderful sky. I didn't feel like pulling out the scope, so I grabbed my binos. Enjoyed viewing M42 as always and Jupiter. Straight over head was a fuzzy blob. I was like, OH!! Andromeda!! But then realized, that couldn't be Andromeda. So I looked at it. It was the Pleiades M45. Granted, it was straight up, but a nice sight. I know the people leaving for work must have thought I was nuts. Then the wife came out to see what was taking me so long to come back in the house. I gave her the binos to do some looking also. Spent an hour just looking at the sky. Too bad I had to get ready for work.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6113869 - 10/02/13 07:31 PM

Ben2112 - Good report! Good old binocs, a really quick way to get some viewing in Soooooooo, what did the wife think after she did some viewing with the binoculars?? Maybe there is a new astronomer in the making! Nice report..... Tony

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6114002 - 10/02/13 08:48 PM

Tony - She is my astro partner. She loves coming out and seeing what I am looking at. Always asking what is that while pointing at a star or nebula.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6114113 - 10/02/13 09:34 PM

Quote:

Tony - She is my astro partner. She loves coming out and seeing what I am looking at. Always asking what is that while pointing at a star or nebula.

Man that's so cool! My wife could care less but she doesn't mind me spending time out observing. I wished the wife and I could enjoy it together but I don't believe she'll ever develop an interest. Now my daughter was my little astro companion but now she's grown up, married and moved away It's fun when she visits though Thanks again for the nice report on the early morning sky! Maybe those neighbors will come have a look sometime, g....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6117261 - 10/04/13 01:12 PM

Tony,

Sorry for not responding to your post sooner. Marked it in my mind, (silly thing to do) to reply to and....

Thanks for your kind words. Yes I was using the bigger scope. I'm in the process of clearing a space in the shed so that I can store the 8se fully assembled. It would be good to run it along side the CPC1100 and compare views of certain objects.

Hope the rain has illeviated some of the problems in your area and, if so, will now disperse and give you some clear nights.

Upgrading is in our blood I suppose, but in the meantime, you have a great scope in the 6se. I started out my goto experience with the 6se and loved it. I was, quite honestly, a little reluctant to part with it. I finelly gave in and progressed to the 8se. The 11" will be the stopping point for some time to come.

Tonights forecast is a bit hit and miss. If it does clear enough it will be a good night to be out. For the time of year it is very mild, around 16deg C as I type (18.10.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6117333 - 10/04/13 01:58 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Here's a delayed report with picture attached. Had a weird weekend that called for clear skies all 3 nights. Set up on Saturday but then clouds rolled in. Set up for Sunday night and the night was clear. I went around to M13 and 92 in Herc. and did a bit of viewing of M57 and 27. I tried imaging M27 the Dumbell but have yet to go through the data. I hibernated the scope at midnight to get some rest then set the alarm for 4 a.m. to catch Jupiter. Got to see Jupiter for the first time this season and imaged it. Sorry no GRS but decent shots were captured. I am going to post the rest on a separate thread.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6118418 - 10/05/13 02:21 AM

I just came in. Looked at the Andromeda Galaxy. I waited and looked at the Pleiades. I then realized Uranus was up so I slewed over to Uranus. Not much to look at but a nice blue dot, and I can mark it off my list of seen planets. I was going to wait for Orion to clear some trees when I realized fog was starting to roll in. That is when I decided to pack it up and come inside. I am hoping the weather holds out and I get to do some more observing this weekend. 26 days to my Green Zone cabin. Can't wait.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6120729 - 10/06/13 02:36 PM

Peter, Mighty fine,g... That will be nice if you can get your 8SE in with the 11". I'll look forward to a comparison of the two when you have the time! We had a cold front come through yesterday. It was raining last night around 2:30am. Nice and clear looking today. May be clear tonight too. Take care and hope you keep some clear skies... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6120731 - 10/06/13 02:37 PM

James - great picture of Jupiter!! Pretty good detail too... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6120737 - 10/06/13 02:38 PM

Ben2112, Good report! Too bad about the fog and not much longer to go for the green zone!! Tony

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6120760 - 10/06/13 02:57 PM

Tony, Yeah.. I am excited. I got up early this morning and went outside. Guess what? FOG!!! Again. It's just that time of year around here. The humidity should be dropping soon. Dryer air means better seeing.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6120896 - 10/06/13 04:21 PM

James, Smashing report. Pleased the skies co-operated on Sunday night to allow you some scope time. Thanks for the image of Jupiter.

Ben, Pleased you too got some observing time. Uranus and Neptune for that matter, are never too good through the eyepiece but, as you say, its nice just to have seen them.
Thanks for the images.

Tony, Sorry to confuse. By "Shed" I meant my garden shed, not the Skyshed. From my garden shed I will set up the 8se next to the Obs and move between the two. Slow work in my condition but what the H..., its worth it when your having fun and I've all the time in the world. Got to clear that space first though.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6121100 - 10/06/13 06:37 PM

Peter, Oops, yea I misunderstood I don't have me a shed of any type Now you know what shape we yanks are in Later...

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6121305 - 10/06/13 09:03 PM

Well, I just saw my first Iridium Flare. While sitting on the front porch with the wife, I noticed this bright object in the sky. At first, I thought it was star, but then it was moving. I looked at the wife and said, "Is that light moving?" She said, "yeah, but I don't think it's a plane. I don't see any blinking red lights." So I ran into the house and grabbed the binos. I thought it was the ISS, but it turned out to be an Iridium Flare. It lasted for about 5mins or so. It was pretty neat.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6121351 - 10/06/13 09:28 PM

Cool I haven't seen one for awhile but it's pretty cool to see! Hey I better get outside and have a look around, g....

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6125839 - 10/08/13 08:56 PM

I was out for a few minutes last night with my old 7X35 binoculars and checked out one of my favorite star systems; 30, 31 and 32 Cyg. What cool colors, blue and to me a ruddy orange! Pretty colorful in binoculars and pretty good in a wide angle telescopic view too. Check them out with binoculars when you are out next time. I always enjoy the view!

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6126900 - 10/09/13 12:30 PM

Very good chance of being able to observe tonight. All forecasts (4) give the Green light. Only spanner in the works will be the strenght of the wind. As long as it get no stronger, 14 to 17 MPH at present, I should be O.K.

Wishing you all clear skies.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6127105 - 10/09/13 02:08 PM

Peter, sounds good. Maybe the wind will stay calm for you! Not sure what I'll get tonight but it's clear and blue now. Check out the stars I mentioned if you get a chance...

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6127211 - 10/09/13 03:02 PM

Good luck and clear skies, Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6129056 - 10/10/13 01:04 PM

Thanks Tony. Thanks Ben.

The clouds held off to give me a forecast 2 hours window. The wind picked up a little more but observing was do-able.

I was ready to goto my first object by 19 30. I intended to try for a few Nebula in order to test out a O111 filter kindly loaned to me by Andy.
M8 (Lagoon)and associated NGCs was a bit disappointing due to the fact that it was only about 9deg above my horizon and the Nebula was washed out by fine thin cloud. The star cluster showed through so all was not lost. M17 (Omega) next. The Nebula was not visible without a filter. There was a hint of Nebula with the UHC with the stars in the field showing up well. The Nebula stuck out like a sore thumb with the O111 with some detail visible, but the stars were some-what lost. Again, not at its best at only 16deg. On to M16 (eagle) with its lovely O.C. The Nelula showed well in both the UHC and the O111. It was difficult to decided which view was best. On just the Nebula I guess the O111 had the edge as the Nebula was that bit brighter with a some detail showing. Again, at 16deg above the horizon its not realy a fair test. (all the previous objects were sinking in the West). The veil Nebula's East and West gave only a slight hint of there glory in what was average seeing at 66deg. The O111 again showing a little more of a hint than the UHC.
On to the best object of the night NGC 6940. This is a wonderful open cluster which filled my FOV with a plethora of points of light. It was worthy of a tea and biscuit break. 21.15 now and the forecasts are proving to be correct with clouds massing in the West. Paid a visit to M27 (Dumbbell) in order to do a final test for the night on the O111. Surprisingly, to me anyway, the UHC give the better view. M27 was much sharper through the UHC with the O111 view being darker than I exspected. I put each filter into a 8mm x 24mm zoom. The view through the O111 disintegrated as I zoomed in. Through the UHC it stayed steady down to 18mm (x155).
21.45 now and I have very little skies left. So I finished my brew and called it a night. The O111 did well on some of my targets. I'll give it a few more runs as the opportunities arise. Just to add, the O111 is a one and a quarter inch filter and the UHC a two inch. This fact seemed to be making a difference in the quality of the views. ( Comments please ).

And Finely :- Tony, I did not read your reminder to look at Omicron 1 and 2 Cyg (thanks for the info) before I went out, and I did not remember to do so, sorry. I've put a note in the Obs for next time out.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6130084 - 10/10/13 10:43 PM

Peter, Good report and glad you were able to get some observing in! Nice to hear about your filter testing too. I haven't added an OIII yet but it's on my list, g. Glad you enjoyed your view of NGC 6940! Sounds like it was a gem I don't think I've tried it with my 6SE but I'm adding it to my list to try. It has a mag of around 6.3 so it should be a good view. Glad you were able to enjoy some tea too! Good report and let me know what you think of O1 / O2 Cyg. I think the colors are nice.... Tony

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6130133 - 10/10/13 11:14 PM

Peter - This might sound like a strange question, but has anyone ever used a filter wheel to test various filters for visual observing?

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
      #6132173 - 10/11/13 10:52 PM

Peter that was a great report thanks.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6132291 - 10/12/13 12:15 AM

Nice report Pete despite the low altitude of some of the objects. Well done.

Pete

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6132466 - 10/12/13 04:29 AM

Many thanks Herb and you too Pete. Your kind comment are much appreciated. It was good fun doing the comparisons. Eyepieces and filters everywhere.
At the same time next month the Pelican and North American nebula's should be better placed, i.e off the Zenith from my location, so, along with the veil and any others that are available,I will run it again.

Tony.... NGC 6940 should look great with the 6se. You don't need high power to view open clusters. I used my 38mm wide angle (70deg) E.P giving me x73.

Ben ... Don't know how practical it would be to use a filter wheel for visual as I only own 2 filters ( variable polar and UHC). Might be worth a try if you have a few and your targets warrant their use. Hopefully, someone who has given it a go will let us know. Good thinking though Ben.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6132543 - 10/12/13 07:18 AM

Peter - Yeah, it just came to me because I was looking at filter wheels for mono CCD cameras. I wouldn't invest in one just for filter comparison. But if a person could barrow one to do a comparison, it would keep you from having to screw and unscrew filters on eyepieces, diagonals, etc to compare various filters. Just flip back and forth. Then you can get a real idea of how well a filter works. I only own one DSO filter which is my UHC. My others are some cheap color filters for planetary viewing that came in my kit and a moon filter. But if I had a Ha, UHC, LPR, OIII, etc. Then I could see wanting to use a filter wheel to see how it each filter effects what I am seeing.

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #6132592 - 10/12/13 08:37 AM

Peter thanks once again for sharing your observations with us. Your reports are always a pleasant read.I was out under the skies off and on most of the night into the predawn hours and although my current health issues preclude my use of my telescope I was able to watch my winter favorites rise into the sky. Not being able to tilt my eyes to view anywhere near zenith eliminated any thought of surveying the whole sky visually but watching M45 glide up and Taurus, Orion and finally Jupiter joined the parade was renewing for me. The place that I chose to observe from, the front deck with 2 street lights ( usually blocked by my garage when viewing from the observatory and a near by line of hills running NE preclude any viewing of the horizon) still allowed me to lean against the house wall and soak in the amazing sights. Temps in the low 60s F made it possible dressed in jeans and tee shirt, and that alone made the night even more remarkable. This time of year we are often facing snow flurries and hard frost at night. Thanks for sharing I can hardly wait until I can wrap my eyes in optical glass once more.
Be Well
Grey

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6135067 - 10/13/13 01:50 PM

Hi Grey,
Many thanks for your kinds words. Pleased you enjoy our reports. Sorry for the late response but things are a little busy round here, which is no bad thing, as it keeps my mind and body active.
Sorry to hear of your on going health problems and hope, as you do, that you will stay on the road to recovery and be back at the eyepiece sooner rather than later.
Pleased to see that you are keeping your hand in so to speak, by doing a little naked eye observing. Its nice to watch the progression of the winter constellations . Won't be too long now before they are in our night skies once again.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6136060 - 10/13/13 11:07 PM

No observing this weekend due to rain and more rain Well we needed the rain to help with the drought! I ordered the Uranometria 2000 All Sky edition. Looking forward to getting it in. Also when the clouds break this week I think I'm going to plan an observing session in Cassiopeia. It's been awhile since I viewed some of the open and globular clusters. There is quite of few to look at, g. I need to make an observing list and get ready. Anyone checked it out lately? Hope you all had clear skies this weekend

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6136124 - 10/14/13 12:04 AM

No rain, but lots of clouds.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6136370 - 10/14/13 07:18 AM

I got lucky Friday and Saturday and was able to get in some observing last night. I did some daytime Moon observing which is very different than night time observing. The Moon didn't seem as bright as when I checked it out at night. I was able to note the progression of the terminator throughout the evening. I was using my binoviewer to pick out some finer details. They also provide a 3-d sensation especially on craters and mountains. It was a short session clouds came and went, so I went to M31 and M45 and M33, the last one was invisible. M31 with the binoviewer actually starts to show some structure with 14mm ep's. Clouds started to roll in at 23:00, so I packed it in

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6136461 - 10/14/13 08:58 AM

James, Good report and glad you were able to get some observing in! Sounds like you had to contend with those clouds too. The binoviewer sounds like a real plus. I've never used one but maybe I'll get a chance sometime. Thanks for the report! Tony

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6137051 - 10/14/13 01:40 PM

Thanks for a nice report James. Daytime Moon viewing is something I do quite often. I find my variable Polarised filter is a great help in darkening the sky and adding contrast to the Moons features.
The views through the Binoviewer sound real good. Never given them a thought really but 3D craters sound good. You did well to get some detail out of M31 thanks again to the Bino's. Thats a big plus.

Weather here is shocking at the Mo. Not set to change for a day or Four either.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6149938 - 10/21/13 02:07 PM

Judging by the lack of activity here I guess that you are having the same problems that I am experiencing i.e lousy weather conditions.
We have had over a week of high winds and driving rain and it is set to continue for at least another week.
I did take advantage of a short break on Saturday and used the weather to my advantage at the same time.
I took the opportunity to wash the dome and timed it so that after applying the cleaner between showers, the rain arrived and saved me the effort of having to rinse it off.
I'm Guessing that you've not had a chance to take a look at Cassiopeia yet Tony. Hope you get the chance soon.

Clear skies soon for all.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6150269 - 10/21/13 05:26 PM

Hi Peter,
I figured everyone was tied up or the weather was bad. We have had lots of rain (today is cloudy and rainy)over the last week or so. This weekend was clear but the moon was out and I was kind of tied up with other activity. So I missed my opportunity there I briefly got out with the binoculars and had a quick look around. That's about it I'm still waiting to get to Cassiopeia's clusters, g. I got my books in that I ordered and I've been perusing them. Hope it clears up some and maybe this weekend will be a good opportunity!! Tony

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6150320 - 10/21/13 05:56 PM

I had set my alarm this morning for 4:30 a.m. to catch Jupiter, but I couldn't get my body out of bed. Too many early soccer games this weekend. Forecast doesn't look good this week. Now I regret my decision.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6150386 - 10/21/13 06:41 PM

James - Yea 4:30am is early! I get up at 5:15am every morning and I always look up when I go out to get the paper, g. Orion is looking good too.... and Jupiter It was very cloudy this morning and there was some lightning off to the north. It has sprinkled on and off most of the day and it is pretty dark out there now. Sounds like soccer has kept you busy also, g.... Hang in there

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6150531 - 10/21/13 08:19 PM

Clouds and more clouds. Before that, I got a really bad sinus infection. But, I am feeling much better. And it's supposed to be clear skies this weekend. I am hoping to get out under the stars.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6150569 - 10/21/13 08:50 PM

Ben2112 - Understand about the weather and sorry to hear of your sinus issue! My wife has been sick with a sinus infection and went to the doctor on Friday and was started on medicine. Hope you get feeling better and I also hope the weather is good this weekend!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6150613 - 10/21/13 09:13 PM

I hope your wife gets better. This year has been the worst for sinuses. Someone is always sick in my office.

Tel
Postmaster

#6151081 - 10/22/13 04:13 AM

Hi Ben,

Just reading through this thread, I was sorry to learn that you've recently had a sinus infection. It's good to hear though, that you are feeling a lot better !

I've only ever experienced something similar once: (back in the 1970s), and for sure, I don't want it again !

Keep well and best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#6151088 - 10/22/13 04:19 AM

By similar token, Tony, I hope your wife overcomes her sinus infection and is restored to full health as soon as possible. Please wish her my very best for a speedy recovery.

Best regards,
Tel

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6151134 - 10/22/13 06:26 AM

Tel, Thanks for your good wishes! My wife said thanks and she is feeling a little better, g ...

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6156366 - 10/24/13 09:07 PM

Thanks, Tel. I am feeling a whole lot better. I have clear skies. I just pulled out the scope earlier to enjoy a nice view of Venus before it went behind some trees. Wife said it looked like a miniature moon. She is right. It was like a crescent moon. My wife was really surprised how fast I had the scope setup and tracking. I told her that is why the SE models of scope are so popular. Got my alarm set to get up at 4:45am. Going to set up the scope again before heading to work. If the skies stay clear, I am going to pull an all nighter. Won't go to bed until I see the dawn. Ok.. I'll probably take a nap first.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6156384 - 10/24/13 09:18 PM

Hot dang ... a nap .... urrr I mean Jupiter Hope you get a good view. Visually it's looking pretty good when I go out of a morning and get the paper. Looking forward to a good post!! I hope we keep our clear skies thru the weekend but I'm hearing we may have a little rain coming in Keeping my fingers crossed.... Have fun, Tony

Tel
Postmaster

#6156806 - 10/25/13 04:30 AM

Hi Ben,

Good to hear that you're well on the mend from that sinus attack and that you were able to get a night's viewing in !

Despite the bad weather we've been having of late, I managed to get a few, (unsuccessful imaging) hours in on last Wednesday's clear night but I think my time for "all night sessions" is rapidly declining as old age creeps on !

So saying, we revert to Universal Time over here tomorrow evening so that in itself will help me capture what I want within an earlier time frame and then be tucked up in bed at a befitting hour !

Many thanks also for that tip-off regarding the Stellarium / ISON "plug in". Yes, as you suggested, I was unaware of it so I'll certainly give it a try !

Whether however, I can raise myself from a warm bed in the wee small hours of the next few days before ISON is swamped by the early morning dawn light, may be a subject for speculation !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#6156809 - 10/25/13 04:38 AM

Hi Tony,

Good also to learn that your wife is a little better. I hope by now that she is well on the way to full recovery. As I think I might have said, I only experienced sinus problems once but, "Oh Boy" ! Was that painful ! I can therefore clearly sympathise !

Wish her well,

Best regards,
Tel

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158316 - 10/25/13 10:10 PM

Hi Tel, The wife is almost completely well! Thanks for asking She said to pass along her thanks! Weather here has taken a turn for the worse after several days of nice days. Clouds have returned and along with them a chance of rain. Keeping my fingers crossed that it clears up though. Hope you are well and you get some observing in

Tel
Postmaster

#6158644 - 10/26/13 05:01 AM

Good to hear, Tony !

Weather-wise, ours is somewhat in sympathy with yours, namely: we're awaiting rain and high, wind storm conditions tomorrow ! All hatches are therefore battened down. I just hope the roof of my dome stays on !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6158686 - 10/26/13 06:56 AM

I braved a little frost on my pumpkin Friday morning to catch some Jupiter videos. After I get a chance to process them I will post on the AP graduates thread.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158689 - 10/26/13 07:02 AM

Good luck with the storm, Tel. I hope you weather through it fine.

As for me, clear skies this morning. I got up around 3:30. My daughter woke up and came outside with me as I was setting up. We had an Astronomy lesson. As I pointed to the sky,I asked her what constellation was that. She said Orion. I said very good. I then asked her to name the blob under the 3 stars. She said Orions Nebula. I said very good. I then asked her to name 3 of Orion's stars. She was able to give me 2 of them, Betelgeuse and Bellatrix. I then pointed to the moon and asked her what was the bright object near the moon. She said it's a planet. I said which one. She thought for a minute. I said, it has stripes. She said, Jupiter. Going to make her a Junior Amateur Astronomer yet.

Tel
Postmaster

#6158693 - 10/26/13 07:09 AM

Quote:

I braved a little frost on my pumpkin Friday morning .......

As they'd respond over here, James:

"There's no answer to that" !

Looking forward to seeing the Jupiter images !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#6158712 - 10/26/13 07:40 AM

Thanks Ben !

Personally I think the UK's Met. Office are, in their inimitable and mostly, "miles adrift from reality" style, hyping up this coming storm. On the one hand they're advocating 80mph gusts for the area while on the other, their local forecast predicts 43mph max. !

It sounds as if your daughter has already been "bitten by the bug" and from what you say, she's certainly beginning "to know her stuff" ! It's really nice to hear of members of a family possessing enthusiasm for the same hobby, enjoying it and learning about it as they go ! A somewhat rare occurrence !

My wife, Hilde,..... likes knitting !

Best regards,
Tel

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158714 - 10/26/13 07:46 AM

Well, have her knit you some scarfs and mittens to help keep you warm while you are out observing.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6158903 - 10/26/13 10:42 AM

Based in the recent successes on small but bright to relatively faint planetary nebula with my C6 I am encouraged to seek more despite the 4.5 magnitude limit naked eye. I didn't even use light pollution filters as high magnification in these small discs down to 5 arc seconds was doing a fine job all on its own. My impression was small planetary nebula under high power show as well as larger planetary at low power with a filter. I'm calling the magnitude on the near stellar size planetaries at 11-11.5v just to keep surface brightness robust enough to shine well.

Just passing it along.

Pete

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158958 - 10/26/13 11:12 AM

Pete - I'm happy with the capability of my 6SE optics wise. I do need to try to catch more PN's though. I live in a red zone so I'm challenged in that regard. The last PN I looked at was M57 with a magnitude of around 8.8 and I don't know what I can expect past that but sounds like you have had success. EP wise I can get 250X without using a barlow. My 6" is collimated well so I can probably go higher than than 250X. So you are pushing over 300X? Which PN's have you been observing? Tony

coutleef
Post Laureate

#6159255 - 10/26/13 02:07 PM

Planetary nebulas can often be seen from the city. They go through ligth pollution fairly well, much better than reflection nebulas. The blinking, eskimo or catseye are fairly easy from a white zone but i never managed to see the veil from the city.

They are small and brigth so they well magnification

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6159742 - 10/26/13 08:04 PM

Well I have clouds this weekend I wanted to begin my Cassiopeia cluster observation but not going to happen this weekend. I'm sick of the red zone I live in but I guess it could be worse,g. I will start working on a list on PN's too after hearing from Pete and coutleef. Hope some of you received some clear skies. I think that Peter and Tel were going to be rained in or loaded with clouds Well I did get the yard mowed, weed whacked and edged. Bought a new 32 qt sized pot and got a plant potted that my wife asked me to do! I'd rather be setting up a scope with some fresh brewed java and getting ready for some nice viewing!! Maybe next weekend, g....

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6160370 - 10/27/13 09:14 AM

Tony - with porch lights hither and yon and mag 4.5 sky that included a near full moon I bagged an 11th magnitude planetary 5" across. Under these conditions going small and magnifying big helps a great deal to darken the sky background through the eyepiece but enlarge the nebula enough to stimulate the retina sufficiently. I would go past 11-11.5 magnitude when they are this small and I'm not even thinking about large and faint. NGC6210 is another nice one to try though bigger than 5" its size is the sweet spot Ive found for surface brightness and magnification "darkening" of the sky background. Or - foreground!

Pete

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6161066 - 10/27/13 04:47 PM

Well.. I am all packed up and ready to do some observing next weekend. We rented a cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. Already did a test fit of my scope cases and astro stuff along with suitcases. I can't wait. Come on Friday.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6161133 - 10/27/13 05:29 PM

Just got back from a three day/night break with Yvonne. Good to see so many interesting posts. Will catch up over the next few days. There's a storm threatening for tonight and into tomorrow morning. As Tel has said, it probably wont be as bad as they are making out, hopefully.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6161232 - 10/27/13 06:27 PM

Peter - Glad to hear you and the missy had a nice retreat! Have been missing your post. Hope you and Tel survive the weather and hopefully it will not be as bad as it sounded. It's been clouds and mist for much of the day here. Stay dry and have some hot tea, I just had a nice hot cup myself

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6161250 - 10/27/13 06:40 PM

Quote:

Tony - with porch lights hither and yon and mag 4.5 sky that included a near full moon I bagged an 11th magnitude planetary 5" across. Under these conditions going small and magnifying big helps a great deal to darken the sky background through the eyepiece but enlarge the nebula enough to stimulate the retina sufficiently. I would go past 11-11.5 magnitude when they are this small and I'm not even thinking about large and faint. NGC6210 is another nice one to try though bigger than 5" its size is the sweet spot Ive found for surface brightness and magnification "darkening" of the sky background. Or - foreground!

Pete

Pete good post and sounds like you are doing quite well. I feel that I'd have a hard time with a > 11 mag PN at my location but then ours sound somewhat similar. My highest power eyepiece is a 6mm plossl. I do have a good 2X barlow that I haven't used very much. That would get me ~500X which is pushing pretty hard around 83.3X per inch. Seems too much to me but I could also get around 150X to 300X with my 10mm and barlow combination. Besides NGC 6210 what PN's do you plan on trying? Thanks ..... Tony

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6161256 - 10/27/13 06:43 PM

Quote:

Well.. I am all packed up and ready to do some observing next weekend. We rented a cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. Already did a test fit of my scope cases and astro stuff along with suitcases. I can't wait. Come on Friday.

Ben2112 - Have fun on your adventure! Sounds very fun and I know I'd be awful excited for the trip. Look forward to hearing your report

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6162133 - 10/28/13 09:51 AM

10/27-28/13
10:15pm to 1:30 am
Seeing - 6-7 Pickering
Temp 45f
Transp: poor to good
Site : home 4-5 NELM

65 Piscium again, 5.5-5.5v, 4.6"

Like last time this wad immediately apparent at 61x a clean white pair with only a hairs breath of dark space. A perfect low power double without the bother of proximity glare at this magnitude. A few faint stars against an otherwise spartan black background.

28 Piscium - 4.0-6.2v, 1"

The secondary is seen delicately at 152x this turns out to be an illusion of seeing however. I couldn't make the catch!

78 Pegasi - 4.9-7.7v, 0.9"

A pointed elongation at 400x. This was a very slim catch . The Delta makes this a toughie but doable in 7/10 seeing moments.

Alpha Piscium 3.8-4.7v, 1.8"

Here its a change to have a vibrant secondary as in this star. Dark space in between and elongated encompassing diffraction rings. Superb strong pair at 216x.

Uranus - Seen at 61x with some yellow grey blue tones coming through. A peculiar sight . At 216x a reasonable tho small disc. The overall color is grey blue tho dirty grey yellow-lime tones wave in. View sharper last viewing thru the 6" but pleasant tonight.

Collinder21 is striking if faint in my polluted sky's. A double is immediately apparent within the crescent of stars. This photographs well but the overall impression visually is a little anemic. Only double seen in this though I thought I recalled at least another in a photo. Could be optical only - don't know.
Eh. If the stars were a couple mags brighter itd be striking.

6 Trianguli - 5.1-6.5v, 4"

This one is faintly evident at 61x with slim dark space and asymmetric brightness. Nice magnitudes for both. At 123x its quite the charmer - certain crisp and bright but still delicate. Fine object. Faint candle yellow primary and uncertain white secondary. Faintly the diffraction rings waver in and out with the seeing.

1 Areitis - 5.8-7.0v, 2.9"

Teasingly double at 61x bit uncertain. Very clean and seperated however at 123x . Looks like a slightly less bright 6 Trianguli. These two really make an interesting back to back. Both seem a pale candle yellow. I almost want to see blue in the companion but its inconclusive. Very smart, very clean.

Gamma Areitis 3.8-3.8v, 7.5"

At 61x about as technically perfect as you could ask for. Bold bright and just tight enough to elicit a look of everything optimum in double observing. White cream pair of near equal brightness. The NEAR equal brightness looked off by about a quarter magnitude - maybe less. It is variable so that explains the magnitude difference. Perfect at 61x

Nu Ceti - 4.8-8.9v, 8.1"

The companion IS faint but picked up at this generous seperation within seconds at 123x. Appears ashen blue grey and speck like at 61x while the primary glows a distinct candle yellow. . Higher power would set it off more but this is as best at this magnification with seperation taken into account keeping the liberal tightness from flying apart too much.

Gamma Ceti - 3.4-7.2v , 2.9"

With the 123x ocular STILL in the eyepiece holder I GOTO'd over to here and it was near center after all the whirring . Can't fault that! Alas no companion at 123x though. Eh. So I up the power...

- OK this is a delicate one. Hinted at with 216x but hardly while 320x makes it happen. When it materializes its reminiscent of 6 Trianguli and Gamma Ari but much more challenging. Just outside the first diffraction ring of the off white primary. A distinct spurious disc of ashen hue made out with some strength in th best moments. This is a very fine object and the beauty of the night for aesthetic charm and challenging presentation.

56 Andromedae - 5.69-6.09v, 199.7"

A very very wide double at 61x with an orange primary but what really sets this off this is the huge open cluster NGC752 is it sits on the edge of . All stars seemingly at mag ten and fainter taking the entire .8 degree FOV and a little more. Great object for its location to a beautiful cluster. A nice 2 degree ocular would set this off.

Phi Andromedae- 4.2-5.8v, 0.5"

Seeing here at the zenith is 7/10 more often and as a result this object was resolved to the point the elongation was detected with certainty and the dimmer overlapped spurious disc was seen. Nice diffraction rings in the better moments . This was difficult but the drive keeping it centered makes this sort of thing easier than my dobs drift method. This is an object that tells you how wonderful your optics are. One of the finest sites of the night.

Ngc7662 : amazing finds here.
This view was so good it was puzzling...

My 8" reflector under msg 6.2 skys and 364x never showed this planetaries central region as more than a shadowy uncertain curiosity and often nothing. What stymies me here now is that I clearly saw more detail here at 400x with a UHC under mag 5 sky's with a 6" sct than my 8" under magnitude 6.2v sky's. I'm starting to wonder if I used the wrong Barlow back then with the 8" and I never actually hit 364 x !! Here now with the 6" I can see the darker center and the width of the ring surrounding the subtle grey dark hole. Incredible. . I grabbed the 1.8x back then not the 2.5x I'm thinking. At anyrate from this lousy lousy sky I saw detail in an object the bigger scope barely scratch scratched the surface of. Encourage at 400x I floored it and went to 600x - which turned put even better than 400x - the smoke rings thickness is actually measurable now. From there I pulled out all the stops and went for an exact 1000x and it still looked great - no less than 600x though better than 400x. Very mysteriously at these two super high magnifications I was glimpsing these starry bright spots that came and went. I couldn't tell if I was seeing the highest surface brightness albedo glimmering through or my eyes were playing tricks. I still don't know. This whole experience has me awestruck. The effectiveness of super high power here literally outstripped my larger scope under better skys by a scope with 50% less light gathering power but so much more image scale. I'm floored at the effectiveness .

WZ Cassiopeiae, 7.1-8.2v, 58.1"

. The primary here is THE reddest star this scope has ever seen as well in my 8" too. Curiously though, the typcally sapphire blue companion seen thru the 8" is really a cool grey white through the 6". The seperation is really wide here but the color is worth the trip. The red is shades of deeper red and rust browns with the 6" while the 8" sees crimson tinges. The other end of the scale an 18" reflector which bleaches this out with too too much light so it appears light orange. I wonder if the crimson is seen in a ten though.

A very productive night with the reward in NGC7662 having me ESTATIC.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (10/28/13 04:13 PM)

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6163130 - 10/28/13 06:41 PM

Pete - Nice report and thanks for posting! Interesting on the PN! Not sure about the barlow? I would guess if you have several of different magnification then maybe you grabbed the lower one. I'll enjoy trying some of the doubles and PN you listed and see if I get similar results. Thanks again...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6164792 - 10/29/13 03:16 PM

Thanks for another great report Pete. Looks like you had a very rewarding session with NGC 7662 rounding it of in stye. I do remember observing 7662 (Blue Snowball Neb) some long time ago but can't find my notes as to how it looked. I have listed it as a target for next time out.

Tony. Re using the X2 barlow. Most are a two element construction. If you unscrew the bottom element and screw it into an eyepiece as you would a filter, it will give you X one and a half. This will give you a slightly different range of mags with your eyepieces. Might be worth a try.

Regards. Peter.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6167422 - 10/30/13 10:10 PM

Seriously Pete - try super high magnification for the central hole - its subtle but man its there!!!!

Pete

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6169024 - 10/31/13 06:07 PM

Well, so far the Weather Channel, Wunderground, Accuweather, etc have predicted a nice clear Saturday night for Townsend TN where my cabin is.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6169233 - 10/31/13 09:00 PM

I hope it all goes well for you. Enjoy the views and don't forget to post them here! Looks good in NYC this weekend though I have a feeling the views won't be as nice.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6169907 - 11/01/13 09:56 AM

Cloud and rain and more cloud and rain here I'm afraid. Had some semi clear nights but the clouds that were about were rain clouds giving frequent showers. (No joy there)
Did start with a clear sky Wednesday night. What followed was what we have all experienced more times than we care to mention. Got all togged up, got all set up but before I could put eyepiece to diagonal, the tiny bit of cloud that I spied in the West had grown into that large bit of cloud that blanketed the entire sky.

Better luck to you guys.

Regards. Peter

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #6170148 - 11/01/13 12:27 PM

I went out this AM before the sun was up and what an absolutely beautiful clear sky!! This after more than a week of cloud cover. For those with clouds, be assured that all the stars and planets were right where they are supposed to be!

Hope everyone gets some clear air soon.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Skip]
      #6170422 - 11/01/13 02:43 PM

Thanks for that Skip. It's been so long I was beginning to wonder.

Good to see you back with us.

Regards. Peter

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#6172387 - 11/02/13 06:31 PM

Thanks Peter. Yep back from another cross-country jaunt in the RV. This time I took the 6SE with me, but as luck would have it we had maybe one clear night in the 5 weeks we were gone and were busy that night with other things. Dang me! The scope and all my paraphanalia takes up lots of storage space so may not be taking it along for awhile.

Next trip is to West Palm Beach Florida (Susan's folks) for Christmas and New Years but won't be leaving until mid-Decemberish.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172436 - 11/02/13 07:06 PM

Hi Skip and good to hear from you! Sounds like you have had some adventures as Bilbo would say, g...

I have my massive 4.5" reflector set up this evening. Haven't used it in a long time so thought I'd give it a try tonight as conditions are not too bad! Hope to have some decent viewing with the manual goto tonight, g...

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172791 - 11/02/13 11:18 PM

Gave up the ghost around 9:45pm. No clouds but transparency wasn't good and I'm tired of the light pollution from Austin. I had a hard time finding OC / GC in Cassiopeia and couldn't even find them in binoculars or finder. I had a decent view of the double star n Cassiopeia. Also had a look at fuzzy M31 and M110 of course no detail. I did manage a nice view of the Perseus double cluster. Also managed views of e1 e2 Lyra. Resolved the double double with 6mm for about 152X. I moved over to M57 and found it but of course it was dim. I went in and out trying to watch a movie with Brenda and do a little observing. The small reflector remained collimated well since it has been stored and moved around some. I was surprised to find this! Light pollutions is such a hassle. With small scopes and non goto it's tough to get going when you are trying to find objects that you can't see with naked eyes or binoculars. I think it is going to be time to plan a get away to darker skies!! Hot dang Hope you guys had better luck

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6173209 - 11/03/13 07:19 AM

Good on yer Tony. Pleased you managed a few hours at least. Nice too that you were able to sit with Brenda for a while in between. I know what you mean regarding manual slewing. I have seen more objects in the five or so years I have had Goto than I did in the forty odd years without.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the 6se Skip. Sad that it's put you off taking it along next time but if the weather is not going to play ball and storage room is a problem, I can see your point.

I may have the odd clear night next week if my weather gods smile on me. Hope to view in and around Perseus and Cassiopeia. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the report Tony. You too Skip.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6174193 - 11/03/13 06:07 PM

Well fellas... clouds are back after a couple of nice days and nights! No observing tonight it looks like. I worked on and lubed my little CG4 mount. I lubed the focusing mechanism too since it was a little tight. I've read that these mounts can handle up to around 10 to 14 pounds of OTA and equipment. I'm think about putting on a larger reflector or refractor. The 114mm yields surprisingly good views for what it is though! Hope you all have some clear skies and nice weather. Well since the weather came back I'll get back to astronomy reading

Edited by CelestronDaddy (11/03/13 06:44 PM)

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6174318 - 11/03/13 07:17 PM

Well. I am back from the mountains of Tennessee.

Friday night: Very clear skies. So I setup the scope. While doing an alignment, the RDF died on me. It wasn't the batteries. It was the finder itself. I was able to lock onto Venus, but I could get to the menu to change the location. I did a dry run before I packed up the scope. We got to see Venus, but we were all so tired from the drive. So, I was like. Oh well, the skies were so clear and nice, I pulled out the binos. Glad I remembered to pack them. Man, so many stars, I was getting lost. I am so used to my light polluted skies, it was hard to figure where things were. I then recognized Andromeda constellation and with the help of Google Sky, I was able to find M31. I showed my brother and he was like "WOW!!" We hit the hay after doing some just looking around the skies.

Early Saturday Morning - Got up around 5ish am. Went outside, the skies were so dark and full of stars. I found Orion and looked at M42. Jupiter was as zenith, so the binos were heavy to look straight up. Oh, I also found M45. Just awesome views. You could make out the band of the Milky Way. I want to move out there.

Oh I did get one pic that I thought was pretty cool. It is the moon real early in the morning. You can just see a sliver.

Saturday night- RAIN and more RAIN!! But that was ok. We kicked back and enjoyed a few favorite beverages.

Sunday - We left. But we are going to rent the same cabin again next year.

The good thing that came out of the RDF biting the dust, the wife said I am going to get a better finderscope for Christmas. So, I am going to be Christmas shopping. I want one that is none electronic.

Over all, it was a great skies and great times.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6174366 - 11/03/13 07:53 PM

Ben2112 - I wondered how your trip went! Sorry to hear about the RDF and then the rain. Sure sounds like you had a nice time no matter what. Nice picture of the thin moon and I'm glad you remembered those binoculars, g. Welcome back and glad you had a safe trip...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6179198 - 11/06/13 12:52 PM

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip Ben, even though you seems to have had mixed fortunes astromony wise. I too get lost when viewing the sky from really dark sites.

My skies cleared on Monday night so I managed over 3 hours at the scope. Seeing conditions were bad due to the fireworks and bonfires with which people had been celebrating Halloween and Guy Fawkes night over the preceeding 4 to 5 days. I will just list the objects I observered with brief comments were needed as most suffered greatly due to the seeing.

Started with M30, a small G.C, Saturn Neb (NGC7009) next. Conditions prevented sharp focusing. Tried the UHC and O3 filters but conditions made their use pointless. Popped over for a look at Neptune which showed up well. M2 and M15 also fought their way through the murk somewhat. Then went looking for comet Brewington which showed as Mag 9.1 on Sky Safari. According to Heavens Above today, its Mag is around 15 so its no wonder that I did not find it. Had a trip down to Uranus which again show a little better than I expected. Long slew now to take in NGC7662 (The Blue Snowball Neb) As with the Saturn Neb, it was hard to bring it into sharp focus. Tried the filters again but my earlier veiws on their use were born out. M32 (Andromeda) next. This turned out to be the best view of the night. Wether or not it was in a pocket of clear sky I know not, but it took medium amounts of Mag well and showed a little detail. Took a look at Almach next. I rate Almach as good as Albireo when it comes to best doubles. Finished up with a long look at the Double Cluster, a wonderful sight through my 38mm wide angle, on what was overall, a bad viewing night.
Still, it was good to be at the scope and I enjoyed the 3 hours plus. (18.00 to 21.15ish)

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6179946 - 11/06/13 08:21 PM

Great report Peter and I had to look up what Guy Fawkes night was because what I was imagining wasn't good . Boy you learn something new every day. Glad to see you had some time with your scope.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6180358 - 11/07/13 04:24 AM

Thanks James. Sorry about Guy Fawkes. I made the mistake of thinking everyone know the story when of course, it's a purely English tale. The night before Guy Fawkes night or Bonfire Night as it is commonly called, is Mischief night when children traditionally played tricks on grown ups by knocking on the door and running away or coating door and gate handles with something sticky (or smelly) . This, like many other such traditions,has largely died out.

Here Endeth the history lesson.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6180422 - 11/07/13 07:03 AM

Thanks for the details that Wikipedia left out. Hope your hands aren't too smelly!

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6180452 - 11/07/13 07:39 AM

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6188028 - 11/11/13 06:21 AM

Morning everyone. Went out at at 4ish this morning. My RDF is rigged up to work for the moment. I am still waiting on my replacement to come in from Celestron. Clear skies but poor seeing. I still made the best of it. First, I looked at M42. I know it's probably the most observed DSO on the planet, but it is still beautiful to me. I then slew to my old friend Jupiter. As I said before, poor seeing, but I still enjoyed looking at it. Such a wonderful planet. By the position of the moons, it looks like 2 of the moons were on the other side. I observed Jupiter for a little while. Took a break by sitting on the porch. I got an alert on my phone about the ISS going across the sky. So I went out in the yard. Sure enough, there it went moving from the South East to the North East. I wish I would have had my binos ready. Anyways, by the time that was over with, I realized Mars was coming over the trees. I slew to Mars. There it was. In all it's reddish glory. Couldn't really see much detail. I am hoping as winter approaches, the humidity will drop and seeing becomes better. I went back to Jupiter to see if there were any transitions. That is when the low batter indicator on my power tank went to yellow. So, I packed it in. I wish my RDF wouldn't have bit the dust on vacation. Those skies were so clear and dark on my first night.

Most of us on this earth, don't even gaze at the night sky anymore. It's a shame on what wonders they are missing on a clear and starry night.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6188054 - 11/11/13 06:57 AM

Well done Ben. Your a man after my own heart, i.e making the most of what's on offer. Nice that you are now able to catch M42 and, as you so rightly put it, "Old friend" Jupiter. Your correct in saying that M42 is probably the most viewed DSO but, like with you, it will be, along with Jupiter, amongst the first objects I look at each time I get the chance this winter. If you spend the time, there's always something new to see with both.

Trying to tease some detail out of Mars is good fun. Glad you where able to catch sight of our "Red" neighbor. Mars unfortunately, will not be on view for me, at a reasonable time of night, until early March 2014.

I whole heartedly echo your sentiments on people missing out on what's up there. It would seem, certainly here in the U.K, that the amount of light pollution gets worse year on year, blocking out more and more of what little dark skies we have. Still, where there"s life and all that.

Thanks for your excellent report Ben.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6194221 - 11/14/13 09:42 AM

Hi All,
I was out once again on Tusday night although conditions were worse than on my previous session. There was a slight haze, not noticable to the naked eye, and lots of moisture in the air which was also very turbulent.
It had been my intension to try and observe at length a few Planetaries for filter comparison, but after trying NGC6572, NGC7009(Saturn Neb,) and M27(Dumbbell) none of which would come to focus or take any magnification, I switched to observing some open cluster I had not looked at for a long time.
Open cluster are good targets when conditions aren't up to scratch, and it was fun chasing the smaller fainter ones. I managed 11 in all.
Had a quick look at Neptune which did'nt fair well on the night.
Finally on to the Moon. Surprisingly, it too faired badly, dancing like crazy in my FOV. For once it would take little or no power other than low.
Still, I got to see many O.Cs I had not seen in an age, so the night was not lost.

Just for the record, I started my session at 18.45ish and called it a draw around 21.00.

Regards. Peter.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6194283 - 11/14/13 10:28 AM

Peter,I have not done any viewing since way before starting my Observatory build. I just got tired of set up time with having to put up blinds for stray light and the time it takes to set up everything else. Then only being able to view for short periods because of seeing conditions.
Kudos to you for sticking with it when conditions prove to be less than optimal.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6194287 - 11/14/13 10:30 AM

Better viewing with less than optimal seeing conditions than not viewing at all.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6194323 - 11/14/13 10:54 AM

Many thanks Tim.

It is a big advantage when you can be up an running in just a few minutes time. Many of my C.N friends have to contend with setting up etc before they can start observing. It's something I tend to, but should not, forget.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (11/14/13 12:54 PM)

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6195539 - 11/14/13 09:25 PM

Good to see you're getting some good viewing in Peter even if you can't see your intended targets. My schedule has been so hectic during the week and during the weekend the weather doesn't always cooperate. I do envy you all with observatories, if I didn't have to set up and break down a 1/2 or 1 hour session would be nice on occasion.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6199459 - 11/17/13 06:35 AM

James - I know how you feel. I would put up an observatory in my back yard, but I have to many trees around my property. So, the front yard is the only place I can observe from. My HOA would have a cow if I built one in my front yard.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6199604 - 11/17/13 10:05 AM

We have had clouds the last few days and the few we didn't I was too busy due to other activity. I have enjoyed reading your post though and even learned about Guy Fawkes! I made it out a few brief times with binoculars but that's it. I picked up a copy of S&T's Skywatch for 2014. I used the 2013 and found it to be useful so I got another one. Check a copy out if you see it. Other news is I'll be a "grandpa" sometime in January! I've been looking forward to that. Maybe in a few years I'll have a little observing buddy Ya'll take care...

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6200619 - 11/17/13 08:07 PM

Clouds.. Rain.. More clouds.. rain.. That is my observing report.

But on a side note, I probably won't be doing much observing after Dec 2nd. I have accepted a job offer to work for another company. The bad thing is the commute is going to be long, but the promotion is well worth it. So, if I don't post much, don't worry. I'll still be around. I'll try to play catch up on the weekends.

Tel
Postmaster

#6201069 - 11/18/13 04:04 AM

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear of your weather conditions. If it's any consolation, it's the same over here !

Congratulations also on your new job and all success for the future.

Do let us hear from you though from time to time when you get a spare moment !

Best regards,
Tel

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6201071 - 11/18/13 04:09 AM

Don't worry, Tel. I plan on playing catch up on the weekends. Also, this new job means a 25% pay raise. Told the wife I already have my eye on some nice equipment for Christmas next year.

Tel
Postmaster

#6201081 - 11/18/13 04:20 AM

With that amount of raise, Ben, I suggest you invest in a "Mink" for next year's Christmas.

Worn by the lady of the house whenever the occasion arises, it could also keep you warm on those cold nights when observing and imaging !

Best regards,
Tel

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6201087 - 11/18/13 04:36 AM

A mink.. Hmm.. Could I use it to keep the scope warm and the dew away?

My wife is very practical. She got rid of a very nice mink coat she received from her mom's estate as well as a fox stoal thing. No, she said she wants to finish remodeling the house. My wife isn't into jewelry either. She is very hard to shop for.

Tel
Postmaster

#6201094 - 11/18/13 05:05 AM

Likewise mine !

What do you buy the girl who has nothing ?

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6201097 - 11/18/13 05:27 AM

Posts.

You pair of daft beggers.

All the best with the new job Ben. Really pleased for you, and the family.

Stay with us though. Looking forward to your catch up's.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#6202018 - 11/18/13 04:15 PM

Hi Tel & Ben,

Me too! I thought I had the only wife who doesn't like for me to buy her expensive gifts - or flowers, for that matter. Not that she doesn't like flowers - just that they die too soon and she thinks they are a waste of good money. This may come from the fact that she spent her early adult life as an accountant. Hmmm... What do you buy the wife who has nothing, and wants nothing? She likes us to spend our money on things we both can enjoy - like that big RV!

Tel
Postmaster

#6203041 - 11/19/13 05:47 AM

Glad to "see" you're back with us, Skip ! No doubt though, you and Susan haven't yet completely "dunroamin'" !

Good to hear from you !

Best regards,
Tel

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6203429 - 11/19/13 10:32 AM

Quote:

Likewise mine !

What do you buy the girl who has nothing ?

Best regards,
Tel

- very good Tel.

Pete

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#6203626 - 11/19/13 12:18 PM

Quote:

Glad to "see" you're back with us, Skip ! No doubt though, you and Susan haven't yet completely "dunroamin'" !

Good to hear from you !

Best regards,
Tel

Hi Tel,

Not hardly "dunroamin'" old pal. We are leaving for Florida (near West Palm Beach) to spend Christmas and New Years with Susan's folks. I'm glad we will be staying in the RV as that much time with the family CAN get stressing. We will be staying in a private RV park next to Lion Country Safari. Never been there so should be interesting. We should be back around the middle of January. Then I will have to decide whether to winterize my RV or head down to South Texas for a couple of weeks. We sometimes get hard freezes here in North Texas, especially in Jan and Feb. If I don't winterize (a PITA, BTW), we will need to try to stay where it is warm, or at least mild.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6210245 - 11/22/13 08:59 PM

Well it's cold (36F) raining and cloudy. Forecast is the same for the next few days. Hope you lads are fairing better. I will be staying inside, g. I picked a mint 80's Celestron C60 refractor today. Nice little scope and I'm anxious to get it out for a few doubles. Hope you all had a good week and had some clear skies...

John Brooks

Reged: 11/14/13

Loc: Central Arkansas
      #6210550 - 11/23/13 12:21 AM

Quote:

Well it's cold (36F) raining and cloudy. Forecast is the same for the next few days. Hope you lads are fairing better....

That would be my fault. My new Nexstar 8SE arrived yesterday and is sitting in my living room in boxes. It's 42 and raining here.

John

Edited by John Brooks (11/23/13 05:59 PM)

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: John Brooks]
      #6210750 - 11/23/13 05:43 AM

John - You must be effecting the whole south east. It was raining yesterday and this morning is thick cloud cover with small spots of sky.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6210834 - 11/23/13 08:22 AM

Weather trying its best here in Yorkshire. Just can't get rid of the thin high clouds. I'm working on the principle that if I do venture out at near minus temperatures, ( we are sliding into winter) I demand reasonably good seeing conditions.
Here's a couple more chances forecast over the next few nights.

Good luck guys

Regards. Peter

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6210851 - 11/23/13 08:42 AM

John, geez! I think it is your fault That is a fine scope and you will really enjoy it!! Hopefully the weather will clear for you soon

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6211717 - 11/23/13 04:34 PM

Congrats on acquiring the C60 Tony.

Lets know how it performs when you get the chance to try it out.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6211888 - 11/23/13 05:58 PM

Peter - It's a real brute, For $25 it's not too bad though

John Brooks

Reged: 11/14/13

Loc: Central Arkansas
      #6211901 - 11/23/13 06:06 PM

Quote:

John - You must be effecting the whole south east. It was raining yesterday and this morning is thick cloud cover with small spots of sky.

It is undoubtedly my fault. In 40+ years of amateur astronomy it never fails that this happens when I get something new.

How are things in North Charleston? I used to live off Dorchester Rd. back in the early '80s.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6212568 - 11/24/13 03:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It is undoubtedly my fault. In 40+ years of amateur astronomy it never fails that this happens when I get something

John, you are hereby banned from ordering new equipment without first giving prior warning to your fellow C. N friends.

All the same, congrats and enjoy your new toy.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6212587 - 11/24/13 04:04 AM

Hey John - You probably wouldn't recognize the place. I have been here for the past 16 years and it has changed so much. Lots of Aerospace stuff going on. Boeing came in and bought 100's of acres around the airport and setup a plant making the new 787 Dreamliner. Lockheed Martin is getting ready to come into the area. Plus, a huge Outlet was built. OH!! The old Cooper River bridges are no longer around. Those 2 lane bridges were scary to drive over. We now have this really nice 6 lane bridge that connects downtown Charleston to Mt. Pleasant.

The major downside of all this growth is light pollution. Skies seem to be getting lighter and lighter. Pretty soon I am going to be in a white zone instead of a red zone.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6213314 - 11/24/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Peter - It's a real brute, For $25 it's not too bad though

You be very careful lifting that monster Tony.
If it were mine, I'd get Yvonne to give me a hand. She's very strong. Has a part time job kick starting Jumbo Jets at the airport nearby.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6213389 - 11/24/13 02:13 PM

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6213889 - 11/24/13 07:22 PM

I think I've been hanging around this place too long...I think I remember you using that "kick starting jumbo jets" comment before, Peter! It still makes me chuckle though. I just hope for your sake no one tells her about that comment .

On another note, it's been either cloudy, frigid or windy hear so observing and imaging have been put on hold.

Does anyone have recommendations for heated garments? I've been looking at some from Milwaukee tools since I have the batteries and charger to match. Anyone tried them?

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6213950 - 11/24/13 07:59 PM

James - If you have a Cabela's in your area, I believe they carry heated clothing. I just checked them out online. There may be others. I haven't used any myself but I assume they might really be nice depending on the cost...

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#6215800 - 11/25/13 06:22 PM

Just remember boys, what happens on CN stays on CN.

Until I get to meet Yvonne, that is.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6216016 - 11/25/13 08:17 PM

Uh hummm, sounds reasonable to me Skip

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6218386 - 11/26/13 11:32 PM

I was able to get out for a bit to test out the "brute" this evening. Now granted the finder is pretty useless and I haven't even tried to align it. I was going line of site, What I found is that the 60mm Vixen optics yield pin point stars with nice defraction rings. I had a quick look at the Trapezium (A,B,C,D)in M42 and had no issues easily picking out the four. I had a quick look at Pleiades and a few other brighter stars. I have to find a decent finder and once I get it set up this will be a nice little grab and go. It was fun to at least have a quick look since we've had clouds and rain. Hope you all get some clear skies...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6218677 - 11/27/13 06:52 AM

Quote:

Just remember boys, what happens on CN stays on CN.

Until I get to meet Yvonne, that is.

Wonderful response Skip, ably backed up by Tony. Gave me a real good laugh.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6219176 - 11/27/13 12:05 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Just snapped this rather nice Sunset out back.

Regards. Peter.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6219186 - 11/27/13 12:10 PM

Wonderful pic Pete!

Pete

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6223359 - 11/29/13 12:53 PM

Thanks Pete.

You referring to me as Pete brings back fond memories of my late Mum, bless her. She would remind anyone who dared to call me Pete in her presence that I was Christened Peter and would they please use that name. I on the other hand preferred Pete and, unknown to Mum, encouraged it's use.

Regards. Pete. Sorry Mum, Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6223423 - 11/29/13 01:35 PM

Peter - yes that is a very nice sunset! I was able to get out last night with the brute for a few minutes and I had a quick look at Albeiro and it looked good even though it was low in the West. I hope it is clear tonight and maybe I can head out a little!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6224522 - 11/30/13 02:05 AM

Very nice sunset Peter.

Went out for about 2hrs tonight. Clear skies but average seeing. Looked at M45, M42, and my old friend Jupiter. No transitions or GRS, but still nice to just get out under the stars. I packed it as the winds started to pick up. I really love this hobby. It is just relaxing to sit and observe. Just taking it all in.

I start my new job next week, so I won't be getting out much during the week. I hope I have nice weekends to enjoy my hobby.

Tel
Postmaster

#6224578 - 11/30/13 03:51 AM

Superb study in noctilucent clouds, Peter !

We'll get you into astro-imaging yet !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6225167 - 11/30/13 01:05 PM

Thanks for all your nice comments re my "Sunset". Tel, I thought for a moment, as I was taking the pic, that I felt a faint tug from the Dark Side .

Pleased you got a little time with "the brute" Tony. Albeiro would be a good object for it. Hope things go well for you tonight.

Good to hear of your observing session Ben. Bet it was good to view old favorites like M45 and M42. Jupiter must look striking as it climbs high into the sky.
Good luck with the new job.

For myself, I've had a few near misses, but high clouds and last night, strong winds, have so far thwarted my efforts to observe. There's a 40/60 chance forecast for tonight but as I type (18.00), there is 80% cloud cover. Here's hoping as I really do want to turn the scope on Jupiter.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238235 - 12/06/13 10:21 PM

Tonight was a clear night but kind of windy. So, instead of pulling out the scope, I decided it was bino night. Started around 8ish. Saw M45 and M31. Seeing wasn't the best. Waited around and got to see M42 and Jupiter. The one thing I do like about binos is you can move around the yard to get better views when trees are a problem. Spent about 2hrs enjoying the mid 60 temps. I am glad I got to enjoy it now, this coming week is going to be storms and cloudy weather.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238305 - 12/06/13 11:11 PM

Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed M42 and Jupiter! Around Austin we have had a cold front come thru and along with that, rain and clouds. Will be in the mid 20's tonight. But of course it has been cloudy fairly ofter lately. I've got a new scope I'd like to spend some more time with but it's gonna have to wait. I'm looking forward to Jupiter making a return!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238311 - 12/06/13 11:20 PM

Tony - What scope did you get?

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238404 - 12/07/13 12:51 AM

Explore Scientific AR102 with their az mount. I would have like to get an apo / ED but didn't want (need) to spend that much. This one is for open clusters primarily. It's a faster fl scope than I've had but I've been looking around for a grab and go. Our weather has been unfavorable for getting a scope out. I went out a little bit ago and it was down to 26F and 100 percent cloudy,g. Jupiter should be looking good so I'm always glad when it's back! Take care...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6238604 - 12/07/13 08:00 AM

Good to see you've once again made the best of what the weather gave you Ben. I think Jupiter and M42 alone are worth the effort. Well done.
I have yet to view either this time around due to the inclement weather. Last week promised much but thin high cloud persisted. We are now, like Tony, in for a spell of cloud and rain. Thankfully, there's still plenty of time in which to turn the scope on them.

Good, luck with your new AR102 Tony. Hope it meets your needs. Looks like a really good choice. I'm toying with the idea of piggybacking a Sky Watcher Star Travel 80T on the CPC for open cluster etc.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238635 - 12/07/13 08:59 AM

Peter - When will Jupiter and M42 be visible in your skies?

Tony - I want a nice Refractor also. Not only for visual but for AP. When I look at M45 with my 8SE, it doesn't look right, but that is because of the long focal length. Now, when I see it with my binos, you see the whole DSO and it is beautiful. Right now I am up in the air on which one I want to get. I know I want to get an APO, but I trying to figure out which one I should get.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6238725 - 12/07/13 10:11 AM

Hi Ben,

They are there now in the S.E. Jupiter at just over 30deg, and M42 at 22deg at 22.00. Jupiter gets to near 60deg by 02.00 so things can only get better, if only the clouds would clear. Jupiter, Orion and the rest of the winter constellation will be with me until March/April so as I said, still plenty of time....

BTW Hows the new job going?

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238788 - 12/07/13 10:55 AM

Ben - Skywatcher apos were on sale in November. I thought seriously about the 100mm but I would have needed a mount for it. I'll keep a look out for a nice used one or something along those lines. Just depends on how much you can afford or want to spend. I hope you find one you like...

Peter - Thanks and I think it will be a good scope for what I need. Go ahead and put your Sky Watcher on your big scope and give it a go. Might be pretty nice! Jupiter and Orion are coming up later in the evening now and offering good views in my area. The only scope time I had was a week or so ago with the brute. Boy it has pinpoint optics. I'm looking for a replacement optical finder for it and a set of rings and a vixen style dove tail and I can then use it on the ES mount or I guess the Nextar mount too. Hope the weather clears for us all...

Edited by CelestronDaddy (12/07/13 11:21 AM)

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238847 - 12/07/13 11:23 AM

Peter - The new job is going ok for the moment. I work for the Dept of Defense. So, I have to wait for my paperwork to go through. In the mean time, I am getting paid to sit on my butt and surf the internet. As for winter skies, I hope they clear up for you. So you can see M42 and Jupiter with that nice CPC11.

Tony - I know. But all my extra cash was spent on Christmas for the family. I have a feeling they will go on sale again. As for a mount, I am looking at the VX mount to get started. Been looking at the SW 80ED. Since I am just really getting started in AP, I want to start off small and work my way up. Besides, I can't install an observatory, so I need something portable also.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6238937 - 12/07/13 12:14 PM

Ben - I think the SW 80 or 100mm are nice scopes for the money and the reviews are fairly good here on CN. I'd lean towards the 100mm and you see good used ones come up every now and then. The VX seems to be a good mount. The only GOTO mount I have is the 6SE/8SE and it is not a bad mount all things considered. But at heart I'm always going to be a manual goto observer. I like star atlases and star hopping so I don't know that I'll get another auto mount I guess unless I get into AP. I'm mainly a visual observer and I get great satisfaction from it! I can attach my 6SCT to the ES Twilight mount or the 102 on the Nextar mount though I have to be careful because it will not clear the base. There are some nice mounts by Desert Sky Astro I've been looking at. With my interest in double stars I'll be looking for a nice apo /ED soon. It will be a longer focal length version so I can run the magnification up. I know what you mean about Chritmas. My kids are in their late 20's and the wife and I still spend more than we should on them, g. Take er easy.... Tony

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6244665 - 12/10/13 12:26 PM

Popped on my solar filter this morning and did an hours worth of solar observing. (what else would one do with a solar filter in place ).
Conditions were far from ideal due to there being lots of thin white clouds, but it gave the scope a run out. There were two interesting Sunspot groups, one at around 5 o clock and the other at around 11 o clock. They showed some detail at x180 with the inner shape and structure showing up well.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6244839 - 12/10/13 01:56 PM

Peter, Good report and glad you were able to get out a bit and have a look at our sun. Was this with your larger scope or something different? Our last cold front has pushed through and it may be pretty clear tonight. It will be cold (for us!) with the low of around 22F. I may be able to get out and have a look around. Good to hear from you across the pond, g...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6246655 - 12/11/13 09:49 AM

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your kind words. I was working with the "big" scope (no match for "the brute") I know. . I have my home made solar filter stopped down so to speak, (the aperture is only 7") so it compares well with what would be seen via the 6 or 8 se.
I am going to put the 8se back together for use as a general "grab and go" scope.. It's just too good a scope to abandon all together. A 6se tube would be better but I'll manage with the 8se for now.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6249862 - 12/12/13 08:39 PM

Quote:

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your kind words. I was working with the "big" scope (no match for ("the brute") I know. . I have my home made solar filter stopped down so to speak, (the aperture is only 7") so it compares well with what would be seen via the 6 or 8 se.
I am going to put the 8se back together for use as a general "grab and go" scope.. It's just too good a scope to abandon all together. A 6se tube would be better but I'll manage with the 8se for now.

Regards. Peter.

Mighty fine Peter! Sounds like you have a great setup and are capable of some serious observing. Your right the 8SE definitely deserves to be used too! The last couple of nights have been fairly clear but I have not been able to get out. Tomorrow there is a good chance of rain and I'm not sure on the weekend. Sure hope it is clear though Hope you are able to get out too. Lots of good constellations coming up I did order and get in a pretty nice 1.25" to .965" black aluminum adapter. I've been meaning to get one and finally got around to it since I was wanting to use some nice old .965 orthos I had. Better go get another cup of coffee for the evening. Take care and maybe I can get Brenda to help be get the brute out this weekend