Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6081637 - 09/15/13 07:53 AM

Went out around 5ish to observe Jupiter and M42 again. Seeing was about 2/5 but had clear skies. Came in around 6:40.

On a side note: I came back in the house to check something after setting up. The wife came down and noticed that door was open and thought I was outside. She started making coffee for herself. I sneaked up behind her and scared her. She was a good sport about it. She came outside with me and we observed together. And right before I about to tear down, my daughter came out and looked at Jupiter some. It has been a really great morning.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6081835 - 09/15/13 10:47 AM

Well done Ben. Good to hear you had a family gathering under the stars. Hope your good lady did'nt spill the coffee (beans)due to your "Surprise"

I managed a couple of hours last night between 21.15 and 23.15 ish. Had a large hole in the clouds so took a look at the Moon for a half hour or so. Then M11. Seeing was good and at x230 the small brighter stars of M11 looked like lots of pearls on a grey backdrop. On to the Coathanger Astrerism. Its a lovely sight in my 9x50 finderscope. Popped over to M15 and again, at around x230 I was treated to a great view. Lots of the lanes and arms of stars showing up well. Dumbbell Nebula next. The view was again greatly enhanced by the use of my UHC filter. Took in a few of the NGC open clusters in the area before finishing with a look at Albireo. With the good conditions, I could see the "Blue" component in the finder.
I know its the same area of sky as last time out, but it was the only clear patch I had, and as any clear skies are few and far between, I was not going to miss the oppertunity to get out.
A good two hours under a fine patch of sky.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6082065 - 09/15/13 01:28 PM

That great to hear, Peter. I know how frustrating it can be when you can't get any observing in. That was basically my entire summer. 6 weeks of steady rain and then clouds from there on.

And no Peter, she didn't spill any coffee.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Loc: Central Texas
      #6082467 - 09/15/13 05:21 PM

Fred, Way to go!! I don't have an OIII but I'll get one at some point. Let me know what you think of yours after observing and using it. Can't wait to use my narrow band but we've had clouds plus I was out of town this weekend. Just got in and well it is still cloudy here. I hope you don't get socked in with clouds! Usually what happens when someone buys something Look forward to your report!... Tony

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6083332 - 09/16/13 06:51 AM

Well done Fred, As Tony says, we will expect a report when your Oxygen 3 filter has had a run out. I am still hovering over wether to add one to go with the UHC. Tony's NPB is giving him problems weather wise by the looks of things. but when he gets the chance, we can look forward to his report too.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6084486 - 09/16/13 06:33 PM

Peter, I must be jinxed! Still got clouds and rain showers in the area! I may have a NPB for sale cheap if it doesn't clear any, On the flip side, I have been doing some good astronomy reading. We really need the rain so maybe it will rain and water the yards. Of course that means faster growing grass that needs mowing Hope you all have been doing well.....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6085268 - 09/17/13 03:48 AM

Good you are able to catch up on your reading Tony, and also that the persistent rain is needed. So hang on to that filter, you will get to see through it eventually.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6087527 - 09/18/13 09:04 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Hi,

Here's a look at my latest tool. This is the Lavolta Adjustable Holder which I bought to hold my ipad in the dome. It will hold any tablet up to 10". One end of the holding bracket is fix and the other, of course is adjustable. It cost me 15 (24$). The gooseneck is a little stiff at the mo but I'm sure it will loosen up with use.
Bit difficult taking pics from inside the dome but here's the results.

The first one is the holder as it comes. (Outside the dome)

Regards. Peter

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6087528 - 09/18/13 09:05 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

In situ back view of ipad

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6087531 - 09/18/13 09:07 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

In situ front view running Sky Safari

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6087536 - 09/18/13 09:08 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

And finally, in situ without tablet.

Regards. Peter

hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #6088143 - 09/18/13 02:14 PM

Well my O-III arrived. The sky at this time ,2:00 P.M., Is clear as a bell no clouds.. BUT (Isn't there always a BUT) an almost full moon, and my clear sky clock says that's what to expect tonight as well. So I wait a few days and that gives me plenty of time to pray to the "Clear Sky Gods"
I also want to Offer a word of praise to Astro Agena. I placed the order last Saturday and of course the could not ship till Monday. Well on Monday it was shipped and it arrived today and that's from the West coast, and I'm on the East coast. That's Service.
Fred

P.S.
I was planning to permanently put my new O-III on my 32mm Brandon Ortho but alas the threads are not compatible with the filter threads. Second choice now is to permanently insert it on either a 26 mm TV plossl or a 25 mm Celestron E Lux plossl. Which should I do?

Edited by hamdul (09/18/13 03:05 PM)

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6088397 - 09/18/13 04:37 PM

Quote:

Well my O-III arrived. The sky at this time ,2:00 P.M., Is clear as a bell no clouds.. BUT (Isn't there always a BUT) an almost full moon, and my clear sky clock says that's what to expect tonight as well. So I wait a few days and that gives me plenty of time to pray to the "Clear Sky Gods"
I also want to Offer a word of praise to Astro Agena. I placed the order last Saturday and of course the could not ship till Monday. Well on Monday it was shipped and it arrived today and that's from the West coast, and I'm on the East coast. That's Service.
Fred

P.S.
I was planning to permanently put my new O-III on my 32mm Brandon Ortho but alas the threads are not compatible with the filter threads. Second choice now is to permanently insert it on either a 26 mm TV plossl or a 25 mm Celestron E Lux plossl. Which should I do?

Fred, Glad you got your new filter in and Astro Agena is a good company! Keep those fingers crossed that it clears up nicely for you I still have clouds and rain is in the forecast. I haven't been able to us my new filter either but I know it will eventually clear. I tried mine on several EP's and it worked. If you diagonal is threaded you may try it there too. I plan on using it with several different EP's, kinda mobile so to speak Keep us posted on your first light with the new filter, I bet you like it

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6088411 - 09/18/13 04:44 PM

Peter, What a cool holder! Thanks for posting pictures of it and your observatory. I'd like to see some more pictures of your observatory set up. I keep my stuff in my room also known as the man cave The wife doesn't like scopes set up in other part of the house She just doesn't get it I'm kidding and I've got a good one and I know it, g. Still clouds and kinda rainy looking so I'm enjoying the slightly cooler temps, currently 93. Again... thanks for the pictures... Tony

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
      #6088703 - 09/18/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

... P.S.

I recommend that you get a small ~$15 adapter that allows "foreign" filters to be attached to Vernonscope (Brandon) oculars. This will give you flexibility now and in the future. There are several sources for that adapter -- I got mine from Hands-on-Optics a few years back.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: JimK]
      #6092593 - 09/20/13 10:21 PM

Much rain and clouds today Guess we really needed the rain since we've been in a drought. No observing tonight but maybe Saturday night will be different. I ordered Volume 1 of the Night Sky Observer's Guide. It will come in handy for the fall and winter skies. Finished reading the September editions of Astronomy and S&T. Hope you guys are faring better with the clouds and such Clear Skies my friends....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6093773 - 09/21/13 04:40 PM

Thought I might be out tonight but the clouds have won again. There are gaps, but not large enough nor plentiful enough to make it worth while.
Enjoy your reading Tony. I took delivery of the Oct edition of the Sky at Night mag a few days ago, so I am well occupied too.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6093909 - 09/21/13 06:20 PM

Peter, Sorry a no go for you! I believe it may be clear here tonight... looks pretty good right now Sounds like you have some good reading anyway to keep you occupied while you have clouds. I'll check the weather out later and see what she looks like. Take care...

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6093943 - 09/21/13 06:46 PM

I don't know what is worse, cloudy skies on the weekend or clear skies and no time or energy to observe? Clear skies and energy to all!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: hopskipson]
      #6093990 - 09/21/13 07:17 PM

Quote:

I don't know what is worse, cloudy skies on the weekend or clear skies and no time or energy to observe? Clear skies and energy to all!

Well said!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10400

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics