Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jupiter122

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Sudbury, MA
Nexstar red dot finder
      #6114237 - 10/02/13 10:39 PM

I find the factor included red dot finder on my Nexstar 8SE to be a bit temperamental to use. The alt and azimuth knobs seem tight and using them results in movement of the finder against the dovetail mounting bracket rather than through the intended fine alt/az controls. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions?

Clear skies!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Unidentified130

Reged: 03/11/13

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: jupiter122]
      #6114252 - 10/02/13 10:47 PM

After a while, I ditched the stock finder and went with a telrad. Easier to look through and adjust in my experience. I use a rechargeable AA on my telrad which makes it reusable instead of replacing a button type batteries even though I think they last a while. Since winter is coming, i'm sure low temp will affect the stock battery and a reusable/rechargeable batteries will come in handy.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Unidentified130]
      #6114458 - 10/03/13 01:29 AM

Hey jupiter122, Welcome to the cloud. I have to say that I found the red dot finder that came with my 8se was not at all usable and trashed it after the first time out. Switched to the telrad by the next viewing session. I have used telrads since the early 90's,love and swear by 'em.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: tim57064]
      #6114627 - 10/03/13 07:12 AM

I'm probably the only one still using the RDF. You need to seat the finder in its dovetail correctly then do the adjustment. Try aligning it during the day to make it a bit easier. I've yet to change the battery and the scope is 4 years old. Sometimes I forget to turn it off for hours.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6114641 - 10/03/13 07:34 AM

I too had no problems with the aligning or accuracy of the RDF.

As James suggests, daytime alignment seems to work best. Once aligned, it always did, as far as I was concerned, the job it was designed to do.

I only changed to a RACI finder because I found it difficult to get into the positions that were sometimes needed to use it successfully.

Regards. Peter.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Peter9]
      #6114691 - 10/03/13 08:20 AM

The AZ/AL adjustments on the finder are relative to it's own base plate. It does not match the mount as it is positioned to the side. It will be similar but not a direct match. The daytime alignment is best on something like a distant light post.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #6114881 - 10/03/13 10:41 AM

I like the red dot. What I don't like is the mount for it, it would come loose if bumped. I switched to an Orion EZ finder because of the better attachment.

Doug Michel
sage

Reged: 09/18/11

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6115034 - 10/03/13 12:12 PM

I could never get my RDF to align properly without installing a shim to lower the front end. I eventually gave up and got a telrad, and it is far superior.

hawk
sage

Reged: 03/12/13

Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Doug Michel]
      #6115162 - 10/03/13 01:15 PM

I've been using the RDF since I got my 8SE earlier this year, and I've had no problems. As James and others say, you have to seat it correctly first, but I've had no problems with it going out of alignment at all. (At least after my muscle memory figured out where the on/off/brightness switch was so I stopped adjusting its position accidentally.)

Crazyhorse1876

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Left Coast U.S.A.
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: hawk]
      #6115249 - 10/03/13 01:54 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

+1 on no problems with my 8SE RDF.
I also found this plastic zipper bag that some brushes came in around the house and it is now a dust cover for my RDF.

Edited by Crazyhorse1876 (10/03/13 03:57 PM)

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Crazyhorse1876]
      #6115279 - 10/03/13 02:09 PM

there is absolutely nothing fancy about the included RDF on the SE telescopes - it works - but nowhere close as good as a telrad does. for under 40 bucks, a telrad is the best thing in my opinion. wouldnt own a scope without one.

personally, i really like the red-dot finders over an optical finder. but the included one on the SE is.... well.... acceptable. Get a Telrad.

Crazyhorse1876

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Left Coast U.S.A.
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: faltered]
      #6115303 - 10/03/13 02:22 PM

Ok...after I do a Two Star Alignment with the RDF, get "Align Successful" on the HC and then turn the RDF off other than "looking cool" on my OTA what do I "need" a Telrad for? And I'm all for having cool looking stuff mounted on my OTA just wonder why the push for the Telrad on a GoTo 8SE. I'm not going to be star hopping anytime soon with it I'm thinking but I'm still new with only 10 months into backyard astronomy.

Thanks,
Crazy.

Edited by Crazyhorse1876 (10/03/13 04:07 PM)

hawk
sage

Reged: 03/12/13

Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Crazyhorse1876]
      #6115357 - 10/03/13 02:50 PM

I'm with you; I use the RDF to get 2 (or 3) stars into field of view of the eyepiece. Then I turn it off.

Of course, a Telrad is obviously better in most cases and not particularly expensive, so I see the appeal. But if I upgraded from the RDF, I'd probably consider a laser pointer, as it's probably the easiest and most comfortable to use, and it would probably help me learn the sky a bit better. Plus, if I ever got a big manual scope, I could use the 8SE+GLP as a locator. But for the moment, my demands on the RDF are so small, it fulfills its purpose with no problems.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: hawk]
      #6115666 - 10/03/13 05:03 PM

I thought about replacing my RDF, but it works for me. If it dies, then I might look at a Telrad. I can't use a GLP. I live too close to an airport.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Peter9]
      #6116209 - 10/03/13 10:20 PM

Quote:

I only changed to a RACI finder because I found it difficult to get into the positions that were sometimes needed to use it successfully.

Regards. Peter.

I know the mods are going to rip me, but I kind of enjoy getting into those positions ! At least while I still can.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
      #6116323 - 10/03/13 11:24 PM

I like the red dot on my NexStar 5SE so much that I got another one just like it to put on my CPC1100. Seriously, the finder is used a whole 3 minutes to find 2 stars and then shut off.

Bob_B

Reged: 02/18/13

Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Sorny]
      #6116861 - 10/04/13 09:46 AM

My only gripe with the Celestron RDF is that it is a pain to look thru when the scope is pointed near vertical (at least on my 130slt). I have cobbled a small mirror to the 'ocular' to prevent neck strain, which helps.

KWB
Postmaster

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet
Re: Nexstar red dot finder new [Re: Bob_B]
      #6117228 - 10/04/13 12:50 PM

Quote:

My only gripe with the Celestron RDF is that it is a pain to look thru when the scope is pointed near vertical (at least on my 130slt). I have cobbled a small mirror to the 'ocular' to prevent neck strain, which helps.

That is pretty much my only complaint with them as well,Bob. The same can be said by me when using a Telrad. For using this design scope or a refractor for viewing primarily at the zenith,I prefer a RACI finder.

Overall I like a RDF.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #6117273 - 10/04/13 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Regards. Peter.

I know the mods are going to rip me, but I kind of enjoy getting into those positions ! At least while I still can.

You wicked wicked man you.

Regards. Peter.

jupiter122

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Sudbury, MA
Re: Nexstar red dot finder [Re: Peter9]
      #6118095 - 10/04/13 10:23 PM

Once I have the RDF aligned with the scope, it works fairly well. (I almost always try to align them during the day.) It's getting them aligned that is the issue, since, as I say, the alt/az controls are balky.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1209

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics