BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Nexstar5SE or 6SE? new [Re: sonny.barile]
      #6258041 - 12/17/13 12:24 PM

He just explained why.

The 6SE isn't a poor choice.

Besides,there IS always the possibility of the 6" ota mysteriously growing a bit larger should an 8" OTA deal appear ......after all ,the tripod,mount,control and everything else are the same.He might even find someone who feels swapping their 8" for a 6" would result in an easier to manage set.Possibilities....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scottobservatory

Reged: 12/11/08

Loc: Florida and New Mexico
Re: Nexstar5SE or 6SE? new [Re: Gary Z]
      #6259172 - 12/17/13 10:51 PM

Evening. We're only occasionally out to our place in NM. It's northwest of Magdalena, off a forestry road, and on the way to the Alamo reservation. Our son was going to use it also, but moved to Dallas from Fort Bliss after he retired from the Army. But I have to say the skies are magnificent, far better than many places here in Florida. Clovis is a nice location. Been there a couple of times. 73

Scottobservatory

Reged: 12/11/08

Loc: Florida and New Mexico
Re: Nexstar5SE or 6SE? new [Re: BigC]
      #6259181 - 12/17/13 10:55 PM

True about an 8" replacing a 6" down the road. Just have to pay cash, that's all. Credit cards leave a record. Wives sniff them out like French dogs and truffles. I'm probably going to also fabricate or buy a dolly of sorts to move the 10" Skywatcher around. Not having seen it in person before I bought it, I wasn't prepared for its size. It's like the 105mm my son trained on in Basic.

StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<
Re: Nexstar5SE or 6SE? new [Re: sonny.barile]
      #6259245 - 12/17/13 11:45 PM

I like the 5 SE for the size...

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Nexstar5SE or 6SE? new [Re: Scottobservatory]
      #6259954 - 12/18/13 12:02 PM

Maybe you should buy a nice oriental folding screen to make the 10" less noticeable in the living room?

Or paint it? Apply artwork? Cover with fabric ? Make it match or complement the furnishings?Store it horizontal under a sofa table with floor-length table cloth?

Store upright behind a set of very shallow curio shelves with an access door ? Or doors displaying paintings ?

Is it possible or practical to give the 10" a new home of its own outside in the form of a nice garden storage bench of shed ?Dobs don't HAVE to stand upright in storage even if they are most often pictured thus.

I can understand the usual "black water heater" appearance of a 10" Dob offends some few persons' decorating sense!

My Z10 was a very good deal several years past in no small part because the previous owner's wife objected to its size and appearance.

Edited by BigC (12/18/13 12:04 PM)

Schaden
sage

Reged: 06/30/08

Loc: Sonoran Desert
Re: Nexstar5SE or 6SE? new [Re: BigC]
      #6264570 - 12/20/13 10:16 PM

I was in a similar situation. I bought a 10" dob and it was a burden for me to use. Last year I bought a Nexstar 8se on sale at Christmas, and my time spent observing has at least tripled. The GOTO/tracking and seated observing position of the SCT is ergonomically ideal for me.

I think you would love a Nexstar 6se. And as they said, there is a built in upgrade path for the ota, since it shares the same mount and arm as the 8se.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 885

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics