Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Brollen]
      #6465374 - 04/14/14 10:16 AM

So what happens when the battery or its charger dies ...can it be replaced and if so at what cost...?

That is a concern of mine...the use of work gears is a HUGE improvement so is the clutch...

I could care less about controlling the scope with a phone/tablet/or a computer..

Still will not be able to balance the scope in all parts of the sky with a wedge .. a little vector analysis from high school physics tells me it just ain't gonna work

Bob G

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #6466104 - 04/14/14 04:54 PM

Well it will be interesting on the pricing?

I still can't see a clear product space based on the current SE, cpc and cpc HD range?

These are rough UK prices?

8se 1200

8 evolution ???

8 cpc 1500

8 cpc HD 2050

Seems tight to me?

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Seiko4169]
      #6466264 - 04/14/14 06:43 PM

Some interesting features!

CMH_Starz

Reged: 04/28/12

Loc: Ohio
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6467188 - 04/15/14 09:05 AM

all,

just wondering if there would be room for a dslr on the back end? it does look a little squashed compared to its older SE brother?

would love to get one and do some photography, i know i wouldnt be able to do very long exposures but 30-60sec shots plus if theres room for a focal reducer

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: CMH_Starz]
      #6467377 - 04/15/14 10:41 AM

From my look at NEAF, I would be surprised if there was rooom for a camera....

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: gaz-in]
      #6467765 - 04/15/14 01:48 PM

Might have to do what i currently do on my little 6SE -- slide the OTA forward on the rail, and don't go near vertical.

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: MadHungarian]
      #6468336 - 04/15/14 07:02 PM

The 6 and the 8 have the same tripod, but the 9.25 comes with the larger CPC tripod.

Chaffinch
journeyman

Reged: 03/25/14

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: faltered]
      #6468433 - 04/15/14 07:54 PM

Hello from SW England,

Anyone seen any indications when the new Evolution 8" might arrive in the UK ?

I've been lurking for a while and thinking about an 8SE or perhaps a Dob at 10" or 12" for similar price range in the UK.
I had just about decided on the 8SE for portability when they announce the new Evolution,
Oh decisions decisions , , !

I dont know if I should buy the 8SE now at the discounted price and enjoy it or wait (a long time ?) for the new with worm gear.

Quote ..... said
"Why would you need a hand control when you have wifi and and iPhone/ipad. "
Me ! because I have not got any of these newfangled iThingies !
And going by my experience of cameras with Li-Ion batteries in the cold at night, not to mention their lifetimes, I'm not sure I would like a built-in Li-Ion either

Quote MadHungarian : "the Evolution should actually be light enough to put on a wedge in the field by mere mortals."

BUT you would have to set up polar align manually ????
because the "SKYALIGN TECHNOLOGY" drop-down says
"OR IF MY ALT-AZ SCOPE IS ON A WEDGE?
SkyAlign is not currently available for , , , does not work with alt-az scopes on a wedge."
or am I getting confused ? I am only a bear of little brain and there is so much stuff to absorb when thinking of a new telescope !!!

Edited by Chaffinch (04/15/14 08:28 PM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Chaffinch]
      #6469008 - 04/16/14 03:45 AM

Hi Chaffinch,

Firstlightoptics have them although you have to call for a price.

I think Harrison's Telescopes may be your next best bet.

Regards. Peter.

WordUpJackson

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Fullerton, CA
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Peter9]
      #6471493 - 04/17/14 12:07 PM

$1199
$1599
$2099
For the 6", 8", 9.25" respectively.
That's a whole lot 9 coinage!

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: WordUpJackson]
      #6471553 - 04/17/14 12:38 PM

Yeah,a lot more than original Nexstar.If I had these choices when I got mine,2 years ago,think I would have gone with a different mount in an Equatorial instead of the single fork arm just because of the cost.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: tim57064]
      #6471606 - 04/17/14 01:02 PM

The more I look at these, the more I wonder if Celestron isn't considering retiring both the SE and CPC lines in the not too distant future. Right now their lineup is getting pretty crowded with too many levels/prices to sustain.

For people that are looking for cheap goto setups, they have the SLT and LCM series. Those have probably eaten into the SE sales for people on a budget.

SE owners complain about the shaky one-armed mount, but the CPC is a lot heavier and bulkier and doesn't allow OTA removal or balance. *IF* the Evolution's arm is solid enough to provide most of the CPC's stability, it may meet the needs of both groups. Yes it's more expensive than the SE, but they always come in at a higher price point and start working their way down over time.

Of course, this is all speculation. Who knows what Celestron is thinking?
-Dan

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: tim57064]
      #6471610 - 04/17/14 01:04 PM

Here in the U.K, Harrisons Telescopes have the 8" Evolution listed at 1,799 ($3021).
The 6" and te 9.25" are not listed as yet.

Thats an awful lot of s for an 8".

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6471660 - 04/17/14 01:29 PM

Quote:

The more I look at these, the more I wonder if Celestron isn't considering retiring both the SE and CPC lines in the not too distant future. Right now their lineup is getting pretty crowded with too many levels/prices to sustain.

For people that are looking for cheap goto setups, they have the SLT and LCM series. Those have probably eaten into the SE sales for people on a budget.

SE owners complain about the shaky one-armed mount, but the CPC is a lot heavier and bulkier and doesn't allow OTA removal or balance. *IF* the Evolution's arm is solid enough to provide most of the CPC's stability, it may meet the needs of both groups. Yes it's more expensive than the SE, but they always come in at a higher price point and start working their way down over time.

Of course, this is all speculation. Who knows what Celestron is thinking?
-Dan

The new Evolution range would have to go a long long way to be anywhere as stable as the CPC range. I, as you know, have both an 8se and the CPC1100, and to me the difference between the two re stability is chalk and cheese. Celestron may have made some inprovements in this field with the Evolution range, but I don't think the single arm mounted Evolution could ever be as stable as a twin fork mounted CPC.

That said, I also believe that the se range is aimed at a different user group to that of the CPC range. They are very good in there class, and I am the proud owner of both.

Regards. Peter.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #6471712 - 04/17/14 01:47 PM

I question the rigidity of the one arm mount with the heavier OTAs. To me, the 8SE is already pushing the limit. It would take a very bulky one arm mount to equal the rigidity of even a skimpy fork mount. I have a scheme for measuring the flex on the 6SE. I will post a separate thread describing the method and results so that others can measure and compare their mount.

Chaffinch
journeyman

#6472300 - 04/17/14 07:52 PM

Quote:

Here in the U.K, Harrisons Telescopes have the 8" Evolution listed at 1,799

Ouch !
That's new on their site.

When I first asked I _had_ checked the usual suspects in the UK but they were all of the form "come back later" ( I paraphrase !)
But still they are all saying ETAs will be announced later .

The reason I am asking for estimates of estimates (!) of ETA was to sample you're all considerable experience of lead-times on Celestron announcements in the past, ???
eg. I have experience of model railway factors who announce new products which sometimes have lead-times of a year or three or never materialise at all !

So, how do Celestron do generally ( I'm not after the length of a piece of string ! I wont hold you or them to it !!) on past performance, are we typically talking weeks months or years ?

Thanks.

Oh, PS :

It seems odd to me that they make a big deal of changing to a worm&wheel for accuracy,
yet say that it will not work on a wedge ?
Isnt the point of a worm&wheel for photo quality tracking (necessitating a wedge) ????
The previous spur gear, by all accounts, is fine for visual alt-az use.
What did I miss ???

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Chaffinch]
      #6472467 - 04/17/14 09:15 PM

Quote:

It seems odd to me that they make a big deal of changing to a worm&wheel for accuracy,
yet say that it will not work on a wedge ?
Isnt the point of a worm&wheel for photo quality tracking (necessitating a wedge) ????
The previous spur gear, by all accounts, is fine for visual alt-az use.

Both my CPC1100 and 6SE manuals claim that wedges are supported with auto-align, at least with the keypad. Mind you, i've never tried it out myself. So i'd have to expect the Evolution mount to have the same functionality (whatever that might be).

As far as spur gears, i myself find the worm-drive in my CPC1100 to be much much much more enjoyable to use for visual alt-az than the spur gears in my 6SE. I'm hoping the Evolution worm drive give similar performance.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: MadHungarian]
      #6472726 - 04/17/14 11:16 PM

Any of the current Celestron alt az goto scopes can be tipped up to your current latitude and put into EQ mode. In this setup you effectively have the same functionality as with the gem style scopes (CG-5/AVX/CGEM/CGEPro).

If the new Evolution is using what is essentially the same NexStar+ firmware (likely but with upgrades) then the same capability would be present. Those alignment routines are One Star, Two Star, Solar System, Quick, and Last alignment. In EQ mode the preferred method for best accuracy is the Two Star with 4 calibration stars.

hamdul
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: mclewis1]
      #6472791 - 04/17/14 11:52 PM

According to the spec these are the alignment procedures

SkyAlign, 3-Star Align, Solar System Align

Fred

Chaffinch
journeyman

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution [Re: hamdul]
      #6473090 - 04/18/14 06:44 AM

SkyAlign is not currently available for German equatorial mounts and does not work with alt-az scopes on a wedge.
My RED

( Hamdul : where did you see "3-Star Align, Solar System Align" ? I could not see anything about those on the Evolution8 page I looked at see below : )

Go to
http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/nexstar-evolution-8
Then click on "Technology"
chose "SkyAlign Technology"
http://www.celestron.com/university/astronomy/skyalign-(us-patent-no-7,382,448)
From the FAQ
WHAT TELESCOPES FEATURE SKYALIGN?
SkyAlign technology is standard on LCM, NexStar GT, NexStar SLT, NexStar SE, and CPC telescopes. Evolution page sends us here but no mention of Evolution, seems some catching-up is needed !

WILL SKYALIGN WORK WITH GERMAN EQUATORIAL SCOPES, OR IF MY ALT-AZ SCOPE IS ON A WEDGE?
SkyAlign is not currently available for German equatorial mounts and does not work with alt-az scopes on a wedge.
/Quote.

Edited by Chaffinch (04/18/14 07:01 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14909

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics