Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
KevH
sage

Reged: 03/08/10

Loc: Maine
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Chaffinch]
      #6473142 - 04/18/14 07:53 AM

I asked this question in the other Evolution thread but got no response. Does anyone know if the battery can be easily accessed? While I like the idea of an integrated battery it also seems like it could be a weak point and I wonder if it's easy to get at in the event it dies. I think I read that it is "embedded" in the fork arm. I was looking at pictures but it's not obvious to me where the battery is located. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hamdul
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #6473187 - 04/18/14 08:29 AM

Chafffinch

Under Specifications.

Fred

cirrus1500

Reged: 04/09/13

Loc: California
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: hamdul]
      #6473238 - 04/18/14 09:09 AM

Interesting, but a few concerns. If the wireless capability = SkyQ integrated, not sure it will be a good thing as the skyQ do not have a good review, especially compared to SkyFi. I hope the 10-hour lithium battery can be easily replaced when its life is over. And the price, seems a bit too high, as nearly everything new here can be replaced by separate accessories (wifi, battery). The only real improvement here is the worm gears. For the price, the SE series still presents very good value for those wanting light weight and aperture.

Chaffinch
journeyman

Reged: 03/25/14

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: hamdul]
      #6473243 - 04/18/14 09:13 AM

Quote:

Chafffinch
Under Specifications.
Fred

Thanks, yes, I see it now.

I have also found this in the "Description"
SUPERIOR TRACKING FIT FOR ASTROIMAGING
(snip)
you can add our Pro HD Wedge to achieve longer exposures for more detailed astrophotos.

So, either SkyAlign has been updated, or one of those others can do it ( I'm off for a read in a min. )
or, as I conjectured in an earlier post, you would have to set up polar align manually ?? That'll be fun
The plot thickens

Edited by Chaffinch (04/18/14 09:16 AM)

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #6473311 - 04/18/14 10:01 AM

If you use a Celestron alt az goto mount in the alt az position you have the choice of SkyAlign, 3-Star, and Solar System alignment routines. If you tip the scope up and enable EQ mode then you lose those alignment options and instead get One Star, Two Star, Solar System, Quick, and Last alignment routines.

If you look at the descriptions for the other alt az mounts/scopes they don't mention these EQ alignment options either and I assume this is just the same situation with the Evolution mounts. This makes sense since you'd have to discuss the optional wedge in the description and some folks would likely still miss that and keep asking Celestron why they don't see Quick or Last alignment options in their setup.

With any EQ oriented scope accurate polar alignment is important for good tracking (but not for good goto accuracy). The Evolution should be no different so if you were going to do some imaging with the mount on a wedge then yes you'd have to perform some sort of polar alignment. Fortunately the NexStar firmware includes the great All Star polar alignment routine so it shouldn't be a big deal as long as the wedge is reasonably easy to work with.

Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: mclewis1]
      #6473718 - 04/18/14 01:24 PM

Has anyone substantiated the rumours the 9.25 won't support 2" accessories because of lack of clearance?

If that's the case I think that's a huge problem. Why bother even suggesting the package makes sense. How many new owners come to realise after the fact that the larger eyepiece range is effectively off limits?

I hope Celestron make it clear soon.

Chaffinch
journeyman

Reged: 03/25/14

#6473752 - 04/18/14 01:40 PM

Quote:

snips , , includes the great All Star polar alignment routine so it shouldn't be a big deal as long as the wedge is reasonably easy to work with.

Thanks very much for all the info, that is good to know,
that answers all sorts of my questions

Not having previously owned a Celestron I was unaware of those features,
I was in fact about to press the "Buy" button on a 8SE on the very day that the Evolution was flagged on a UK forum that I watch.
Being primarily visual for the better part of 1/2 a century who knows what mischief I might get up to if I have the facility of AP as well !!

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
      #6474369 - 04/18/14 07:47 PM

Actualy the weak link with the se is the tripod. The se mount on a cpc tripod is really where the best combo of weight and rigidity lies.

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: bcuddihee]
      #6475611 - 04/19/14 02:03 PM

I have an Se mount on a Stellarvue tripod and it is moderately stable....certainly a great improvement over the stock tripod and not much heavier....

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: bcuddihee]
      #6475879 - 04/19/14 04:39 PM

Quote:

Actualy the weak link with the se is the tripod. The se mount on a cpc tripod is really where the best combo of weight and rigidity lies.

I had no idea you could put an SE scope on a CPC tripod. Can you really? I'll have to try it sometime. Of course, my little 6SE sitting on top of my big CPC tripod would look a bit like a bump on a log, or sort of like my spanish teacher from highschool (big body, tiny head).

Larry Hansen
sage

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: MIchigan - Nevada in winter
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: MadHungarian]
      #6475968 - 04/19/14 05:34 PM

The 8 version of the Evolution seems like it would be a grab and go CPC. Especially if mounted on a CPC tripod. The only thing stopping me from going this route is that Nexremote seems to have no support for the Evolution. At least there is no entry in the drop down menu for it in the software. I know that there are other remote solutions for operating your scope remotely, but I need to have the speech feature of Nexremote so I do not need to have a computer outside. Having very bad eyesight I have a very difficult time reading the HC display and the speech function of Nexremote solves that for me. Maybe going with an AVX would be a better idea for me.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #6476563 - 04/19/14 11:50 PM

Quote:

I had no idea you could put an SE scope on a CPC tripod. Can you really? I'll have to try it sometime. Of course, my little 6SE sitting on top of my big CPC tripod would look a bit like a bump on a log, or sort of like my spanish teacher from highschool (big body, tiny head).

The 3 bolt pattern used on the SEs is the same as used on a wide variety of Celestron Alt Az scopes (CPC, Nexstar 8, NexStar GPS, and presumably the Evolution).

The CPC tripod makes a nice solid base to attach any of those scopes to. If you can find one the black NexStar HD tripod also makes a great replacement for the lightweight SE model. The older NexStar tripod is lighter than the CPC model but is still quite substantial and if you can find one a cheaper option than the CPC.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #6476628 - 04/20/14 12:47 AM

fwiw I have 6SE, and occasionally swap out the OTA to a C8. Bought a CPC tripod, bought a SE wedge. Tried all 4 combos for a couple of months. I've since sold the tripod and wedge. It's back to the stock 6SE for compactness and weight as it was meant to be, the C8 rides on a NexSXW or manual alt-az (Porta/Voyager) as needed.

As for the new NS-Evo, I hope astronomics has one setup when it's in stock so I can check it out in person - the 9.25 looks tempting if it checks out right.

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: core]
      #6477209 - 04/20/14 11:43 AM

That's actually what i like about the 6SE on the stock tripod -- i can pick the whole thing up in one piece and carry it somewhere (usually out to the sidewalk). With a little Starizona LiIon battery back (or equivalent) hooked up to it, it'd be even better. But i often wish i had an 8" OTA i could put on it too when i need a little more power.

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

#6478931 - 04/21/14 11:44 AM

Quote:

That's actually what i like about the 6SE on the stock tripod -- i can pick the whole thing up in one piece and carry it somewhere (usually out to the sidewalk). With a little Starizona LiIon battery back (or equivalent) hooked up to it, it'd be even better. But i often wish i had an 8" OTA i could put on it too when i need a little more power.

Is this the battery pack yo are referring to?

https://starizona.com/acb/batteries.aspx

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: gaz-in]
      #6478951 - 04/21/14 11:57 AM

I've found that a 3S LiPo battery works fine.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=nexstar&am...

core
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #6479438 - 04/21/14 04:02 PM

I have been using ebay LiPo packs (search "12V LiPo Battery", sold for CCTV application) without any problems as of yet. They run around $25 shipped with charger. Our astro application is low current draw, and I haven't found the need for high discharge packs even though I have them for other purposes.

That said, I still treat these packs with a little more caution and respect compared to NiMH; charge only under supervision and don't physically abuse the pack. I've yet to taken apart the ebay packs (will do soon), but iirc from reading other reports they have on-board low-voltage cut-off and charging circuitry built in.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: core]
      #6479527 - 04/21/14 04:53 PM

The LiPo battery I use came from my hexacopter. It had a broken lead which I repaired but don't trust it in flight. Therefore, it has become my scope battery. I also use all the precautions while charging or handling these batteries. They work great but you have to follow the rules. A voltage monitor can be plugged in during use and when it hits 10.0V, stop and recharge in the balance mode at 1C.

I'm not sure about the eBay batteries but most LiPo have the main discharge wires and the balance cable. This cable is just a wire to each cell in the pack and is necessary for balance charging.

Fimpster
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/09

Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun
Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #6479572 - 04/21/14 05:29 PM

I will be very interested to read actual reviews of these once they have been field tested. Particularly in the 9.25.

I briefly owned an 8se but exchanged it for CPC800. While not the primary reason I exchanged it, the heavier tripod and worm gears ended up being a huge benefit of the CPC800 over the 8se. I would certainly want to use a 2" diagonal, and I currently use one that threads directly to the OTA on my CPC800. If the NS-Evo 9.25 OTA can be moved far enough forward for clearance at zenith, and it as stable as the CPC line, I could see an upgrade (sidegrade?) from CPC800 to NS-Evo9.25.

core
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron NexStar Evolution [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #6479575 - 04/21/14 05:31 PM

The ebay pack, like the Starizona one I've seen, has only a single charging lead in. **my best guess** is that the balance charging board in built into the batter pack (again, I need to remove the shrink-wrap on my ebay LiPo - they should also include short protection along with low voltage cutoff). I also plug the included charger thru a wattmeter to get readings on how much I put back in, and also how much a particular setup I have has drawn in an observing session - so far I've never gone above 4Ah for a whole night's use; have the numbers somewhere.:D

fwiw it was a rather eventful early days for electric R/C LiPo use about a decade ago; quite a few fires on equipment, indoors, garage, vehicles! Still remember ThunderPower's initial claim that their cell-matching assembly didn't require balance charging . Buddy of mine learnt the hard way with 2x 5s packs (10s) powering +1kW outrunners dying an early death.

With LiPo in commercial use like the new Evo mounts, one has to take into account not just the wholesale cost of the batteries, but there's liability issues as well. Hopefully the engineering side of it would have taken care with multiple safety redundancies.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15112

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics