Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Runebane

Reged: 04/07/10

Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: nfll]
      #3731922 - 04/08/10 07:11 AM

I want to thank everyone for this wonderful thread!! I thought the $500 price tag for the JMI case a bit absurd and was actually considering making my own out of 1x4s (heavy I know, but I have a ramp to get it up into the bed of the truck). But the Stanley 50gal ProMobile JobChest is great. I just need to get some foam for it.

A note to others trying to find this online, you can't. It's no longer listed on any of the Stanley websites (Stanley Hardware, Stanley Handtools, etc...). I finally just broke down and went to my local Home Depot and there it was, $60, well $59.95 whatever. My personal guess is that Stanley is no longer making these as they now have a Stanley 50gal Mobile Tool Chest for about double the cost.

Thanks again everyone

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jersey Star Man
sage

Reged: 05/08/10

Loc: Seaville, New Jersey
Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: Runebane]
      #3793547 - 05/08/10 10:36 AM

WOW ! Wish I would have found this post / forum before I bought the JMI! I did already find the $25 aluminum case at Home Depot and converted it into an awesome accessory case. It holds my cables, dew heaters and everything else I have. Bought some egg crate foam online to line the top so everything stays right in place...

reddog15
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/09/09

Loc: Wyoming
Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: Jersey Star Man]
      #3793588 - 05/08/10 10:57 AM

Quote:

WOW ! Wish I would have found this post / forum before I bought the JMI! I did already find the $25 aluminum case at Home Depot and converted it into an awesome accessory case. It holds my cables, dew heaters and everything else I have. Bought some egg crate foam online to line the top so everything stays right in place...

Welcome to Cloudy Nights,it seem these are no longer avilable at HD,it is Amazon now for 124.95

Paul McC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/03/06

Loc: Southern NJ
Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: reddog15]
      #3873347 - 06/19/10 01:26 AM

Does anyone know the Stanley model number of this case?

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: Paul McC]
      #3873365 - 06/19/10 01:33 AM

||I don't find a model number on mine but it measures 36 inches long on the top and 22 wide.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #3873375 - 06/19/10 01:40 AM

By the way this case also makes a perfect accessory table in the field. Close the lid and set your eyepiece case and other doodads on it (it even has a grooved top to keep things from rolling off.) It is a perfect height . . . I just put it behind my obsrving drummer's throne and spin around to get what I need.

Paul McC
Pooh-Bah

#3874950 - 06/20/10 01:11 AM

I see it on Amazon, I think... a "50 gallon" case? This one?
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Consumer-Storage-037025H-Gallon/dp/B000Q5LZT4/ref=dp_cp_ob_hi_title_0

At $120, it's still much cheaper than the one by JMI. Nicer looking too. But how good is it with the considerable weight of the CPC 1100? Also, what's the best way to get it down inside the case? My OTA hasn't been near the ground since I unpacked it back in '06!

Wish I'd taken advantage of it at Home Depot... sigh.

Cheers,
Paul

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#3875271 - 06/20/10 09:34 AM

That is it. If you will look on the first or second page of this thread someone has posted photos of the COC 1100 inside one of these. Mine carries the weight just fine . . . rolls where I want to go. It is a bit of a beast lifting in and out of the back of my Ford Escape, but doable. If it will fit in my Escape it surely will fit in all but the smallest SUVs. I doubt it will fit a car trunk though.

Paul McC
Pooh-Bah

Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: grao]
      #3878588 - 06/21/10 10:27 PM

Good News!

I just checked at my local Home Depot and they had two of these sitting out on the floor with Father's Day balloons on them! Same price as originally posted here- $59.97!!! Of course, I snapped one up!

I am so happy- after reading here that they were no longer available at HD, I thought it was a long shot to go and see if there was one in a stock room or something (I work in retail; there's often one of anything sitting in a stock room!) but lo and behold there it was!

Big case (well, it would have to be to fit our venerable CPC 1100s!) Nice latches, too. And a lock! This box is actually a great buy even if it didn't serve our astronomy purposes! Holy moly... my CPC actually might get to a DARK site for the first time ever this year!

The case seems very sturdy, too. Not sold on the case's handle yet... have any of you others seen the CPC 1100's weight cause problems with this case's handle (I keep wondering if it would bend or something)? There is a nice little grip handle on each side of the case to make it easy for two people to lift it in and out of the car.

As for getting the CPC in and out of this case, I'm thinking of setting the CPC on it's base by lowering it to the ground (using my knees), then sliding it into the case. I would have the case standing on it's side (the side opposite the handle). Then I would lower the entire setup to the ground to move it in it's natural position. To remove it, I'd reverse this procedure. Maybe I could put a small wheeled platform in there to make sliding it in and out easier? I want to avoid lowering the CPC into the case from the top. Does this sound right?

Now, to get some foam for the inside!

Thanks again, Kevin, for this original post!

Cheers,
Paul

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#3878668 - 06/21/10 11:02 PM

Ihave found the handle to be very sturdy. I roll it tipped up some so a lot of the weight rides on the wheels, with the base of the scope at the wheel end.
As for placing it in, I just leave the case level and gently lower the scope and fork assembly into it by the handle, thenlean in and scoot it down by pulling the non-handle side of the fork into the corner. It won't lie perfectly level -- more at about a 30 degree up angle with the handle against the upper side closest to you. That still allows the lid to close and latch. I am always careful to makesure the base of the scope rests firmlyagainst theend above the wheels to avoid rolling the focuser against the other end. But I expect your method would work well too -- I'd just be wary of overbalancing the whole thing and having the scope topple out. I have been able to hoist the loaded case into the back of my SUV by grabbing the end handles and hoisting it onto the edgeof the bed, and then scootingit in.
Got my foam at a fabric store -- comes in several lengths, just cut to size with scissors. I gluessome squares into the bottom and just let the other pieces fall loosely around the assembly, taking care to wedge one large square underthe base against theleft end.

Paul McC
Pooh-Bah

#3878720 - 06/21/10 11:27 PM

I have a four door Lumina. I think this case will be able to go in the back seat, but gotta check that out after work tomorrow. Also want to see if it blocks my rear view... probably not. It was funny getting it home from HD tonight in my wife's two door Monte Carlo! Talk about tight spaces.

I'm not sure if I could handle the CPC 11 by just it's one handle... never tried. Will have to get back to some weight lifting. I always lift my scope the way it was designed. Trying to picture moving it to it's side without me toppling over!

Good point on the focusing knob! Maybe a "sock" could be fashioned out of foam for it?

I think I'd be able to get the case/CPC into the Lumina by angling it in (handle into car) thru one back door and then getting in the car from the opposite side door and pulling it all up and in. The case isn't that heavy actually. I'm guessing with scope's 65 lbs and case at around 25 lbs (?) all about 90 lbs? Bet I drive away and leave my ep case and tripod. (Note to self: pack eps and tripod before scope every time.)

Cheers,
Paul

Fimpster
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/09

Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun
      #3904949 - 07/05/10 10:51 PM

My local Home Depot still has these in stock for $59.95. Has anyone tried them for CPC-800? Too Big?

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: Fimpster]
      #3905142 - 07/06/10 01:07 AM

Hi Gavin,

Check my earlier post on page 2 of this thread. I use the Rubbermaid container pictured there. It works well and was only $20!

Don

Paul McC
Pooh-Bah

Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: nfll]
      #3906479 - 07/06/10 06:14 PM

I think I'm going to buy a foam rubber mattress pad- they are available at Macy's and Boscov's for about $39.99 - and cut it into pieces to line the box. If I buy a queen sized matt pad, it would give me a lot of foam rubber to work with! (but I'm sure the twin size would be enough... they are the same price no matter what.) Now... I wonder how difficult it is to cut foam rubber???

Btw- I know the finder scope has to come off, but does this include the finder's mounting rings as well? I'm guessing it does. How about the hand controller and its mount? Looks like there's enough room for them to be stored inside the case unmounted. (In a covered soft case, I guess)

Cheers,
Paul

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

#3906686 - 07/06/10 09:00 PM

"Now... I wonder how difficult it is to cut foam rubber???"

Hi Paul,

I needed some foam rubber for a project so the bride and I went to Joann Fabrics. I found the thickness I needed and the clerk cut it easliy with an electric carving knife - the same thing you'd carve the turkey with at Thanksgiving! I used the same method at home and it worked perfectly.

Just be sure to cut on a hard surface like a concrete garage or basement floor.

Don

Paul McC
Pooh-Bah

Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: Digital Don]
      #3906782 - 07/06/10 10:22 PM

Hi Don,

I went to (of all places) Walmart tonight because my wife insisted that they had a fabric department that would have foam rubber. Sure enough, they sell it in rolls of 24" x 72" for $14.99 (or there abouts). I bought two rolls, but I think the second will be un-necessary.

I put the foam in loosely and then seated the CPC 1100 in very carefully (note to self: GET BACK TO WEIGHT LIFTING!!!). I think tonight was the first time I used the tiny black handle near the focuser to lift the scope along with the large silver handle on the fork arm!

It was awkward to get it in there from the top. I think I'm still going to look into standing the case up on its wheel side, then sliding the scope in. It's actually easier (I think it will be- still have to test) for me to lower the CPC down to the ground and slide it into the upright case than to lower it from above into the case in the case's natural orientation.

Someone mentioned the danger of the CPC sliding back out... but while this is certainly possible, my CPC stayed put (as in didn't budge at all) when I moved the case to standing on it's wheeled end. The CPC 1100 is kinda the "bear in the woods"... it "stays" where it wants to!

I'm going to try to staple gun (* uh oh... duck everyone!) the foam rubber into a few spots in the case- it tends to try to roll back up as you place the scope into the case.

As for the scope fitting into the case... yes it does. But, you must remove the entire finder scope assembly (which is easy enough- it slides out... but then, I forgot about that!) and the entire right angle ep assembly including the screw in mount for that. (Interestingly enough, I found I LOST the cover that goes over the main opening of the OTA! OUCH! Fortunately, my 6.3 reducer had a similarly sized cover, so I popped that on! (and I used a large and loose cover from something else to cover the reducer and placed it back in it's bag and box!) It's amazing how many ep and scope and finder scope covers we accumulate over the years, isn't it??? I also removed the Hand controller and it's plastic mount as a precaution.

The CPC 1100 must also be swiveled into place to fit on a diagonal (see other's pictures) orientation. Again, this might be easier achieved by standing the case up on it's wheel base and sliding the scope into the case... in fact, you could loosen the AZ clutch and turn it slightly to make it fit. That just occurred to me!

But, for tonight, I proved that the CPC, completely stripped down, fits into the case to my satisfaction. With the foam (which is 1" thick), it's a snug fit. The case's handle does not seem the least bit stressed by the weight of the CPC 1100 inside, and the movement of the case is very smooth!

Thanks again to the OP for this fantastic solution!!!

Cheers,
Paul

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#3907253 - 07/07/10 08:33 AM

I place it in with the case on its bottom, but your upright solution works fine too. And I really like the snug fit -- you know it is not going to be rattling around in there during transport. Yes, it has to be stripped of any jutting accessories, but suspect that is true of most transport cases, even the JMI's. I used some glue to affix foam pads to the bottom and just let the rest of the foam fall loosely, allowing me to tuck them in where needed after the scope assmebly is in the case.

Fimpster
Carpal Tunnel

#3907540 - 07/07/10 11:42 AM

Thanks, Don. I saw your picture, that looks good. Do you know how big it is, i.e. how many gallons/liters?

Gavin

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Great $60 Case for CPC 1100 new [Re: Fimpster]
      #3908603 - 07/07/10 10:47 PM

Hi Gavin,

My unit does not have any markings other than a code number on the bottom. However, I searched and found it to be a 45 gallon container, model number 246300DIM. I purchased mine at Menards for about $20, but I'm not sure if they still carry them.

The least expensive I could find was at Ace Hardware - it's about twice what I paid, but that was a few years ago.

Hope that helps!

Don

Fimpster
Carpal Tunnel

#3912323 - 07/09/10 08:02 PM

Thanks Don. $45 on Ace is still half the price I found it for on Amazon.com. I'm also considering the Pacific Designs softcase, but that's $150!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26882

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics