Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
dwitek
sage

Reged: 07/03/08

Loc: White Lake, Michigan
No More Tracking
      #5909099 - 06/08/13 01:12 AM

My previously perfect CPC925 refused to track tonight. I noticed it right away as the finder and eyepiece view was drifting when I started my alignment. The readout of the Alt and Az positions was not incrementing and the drift was the same when I powered off the scope so I know it wasn't moving. The clutches were tight. The regulated power supply showed 13.8 volt with hardly any draw. The hand controller moved the scope in all directions with no issue.

I did a quick SkyAlign alignment before the stars could drift too far and it said Alignment Successful but it still didn't track. I loosened and tightened the clutches and moved the scope by hand. I performed two Factory Resets with no change. I tried different Tracking Modes for grins but no change in behavior.

It was one of those perfect nights that don't come to often in Michigan but at least I got to watch the Milky Way rise.

Anyone have any thoughts or should it just be packaged up and sent to Celestron? What about refreshing the firmware?

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
Re: No More Tracking new [Re: dwitek]
      #5909179 - 06/08/13 03:38 AM

Hi Dave,

I've heard of instances where the tracking mode apparently shut itself off, and other instances where users have inadvertantly turned tracking off.

Double-check that the tracking mode is set to Alt-Az, (or N/S Equatorial as appropriate), an the tracking rate is set to siderial.

Hope you get it sorted out!

Don

dwitek
sage

Re: No More Tracking new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5909335 - 06/08/13 08:16 AM

Every time I go into the Tracking Mode setup it shows OFF, so I change it to Alt-Az and hit ENTER. When I go back to Tracking Mode it says it's OFF again. What I can't remember is if it should normally show the tracking mode the scope is in or if OFF should be shown on the menu. It does show SIDEREAL for tracking rate. Can someone verify that?

dwitek
sage

#5909349 - 06/08/13 08:33 AM

I put the scope in EQ North tracking mode and it does "stick" in the menu. I then checked the Axis information and it is incrementing in one axis only, as it should for an equatorial setting. But, when I try to put it in Alt-Az, it always reverts to OFF when I go back and check the setting. So, it's either the hand controller or something in the scope telling the hand controller that it can't do Alt-Az tracking. Anyone else ever see this?

Monadnock
sage

Reged: 04/24/12

Loc: SW NH
      #5909418 - 06/08/13 09:32 AM

Have you tried updating the firmware version?...or if it's current (4.21, I believe] re-flashing it? You'll likely need an RS232 to USB adapter. Celestron recommends this one.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: No More Tracking new [Re: Monadnock]
      #5909530 - 06/08/13 10:45 AM

Just a FYI, just before I deforked my 9.25 I had upgraded handset and seem to remember that for one mode to stay locked in (alt/az?) the scope has to be aligned. Put it into just a quick or fake align and see if it changes,,
Kasey

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: No More Tracking new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5909533 - 06/08/13 10:47 AM

PS for above listed issue I spent a lot of time with Celestron on the phone and 3 different people before they acknowledged it is just a firmware thing

dwitek
sage

#5909911 - 06/08/13 03:04 PM

So, I've updated the hand controller to 5.21 and re-imaged all of the motor controllers to 5.14 but no joy. It will just not allow me to choose Alt-Az tracking mode. You can choose it in the menu but when you go back to the tracking mode menu it says OFF. If you do the same with EQ North or EQ South the chosen mode is shown when you return the next time. If I put it on a wedge it would probably work fine but that's not why I have this scope. It's purely for visual.

Looks like I'll need to call Celestron and find out how to send it in.

Monadnock
sage

#5909918 - 06/08/13 03:12 PM

So it does in fact track in those modes?

dwitek
sage

#5909978 - 06/08/13 03:45 PM

Yes, I can hear the motor running and I can see the AZ incrementing when I look at Get Alt-Az in the Utilities (?) menu. I did notice that if I put it in EQ North setting and turn the scope off and back on that it does not retain the Tracking Mode EQ North setting. It always says OFF. But, every other setting int he hand controller is retained.

I don't know their software but it seems that there is some kind of error on the board that reports back to the hand controller to turn tracking off. As a computer guy I'm just speculating.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#5910064 - 06/08/13 04:34 PM

Try this and test it
Just a FYI, just before I deforked my 9.25 I had upgraded handset and seem to remember that for one mode to stay locked in (alt/az?) the scope has to be aligned. Put it into just a quick or fake align and see if it changes,,
Kasey

Monadnock
sage

#5910256 - 06/08/13 07:05 PM

Well I'll just say I'm NOT a computer guy, so you may be correct. I was thinking your controller may have gone bad. Replacing that would be MUCH easier than having to ship the scope out, and the shipping cost and down time would likely be a wash. I always assumed the "brains" of the CPC were in the hand controller, and the boards in the base and arms were just for GPS and motor control. Definitely give Celestron tech a call on Mon. Hopefully, they'll have an easy fix for you.

Got a scope shop that sells CPC's nearby? If so, give them a call and see if they'll let you bring yer scope down and swap controllers for a quick sec. If the new one works, there's your answer. At that point, if it were me, I'd order a replacement through them even if its a few bucks more than your favorite E-store.

Edited by Monadnock (06/08/13 07:11 PM)

dwitek
sage

#5910303 - 06/08/13 08:00 PM

Quote:

Try this and test it
Kasey

Sorry, no go on that one. Ya gotta know when to fold 'em.

dwitek
sage

#5910308 - 06/08/13 08:05 PM

Actually I have another Nexstar+ hand controller I got as spare with the previously owned CGE I have downstate. Might need different firmware for the CPC. As long as they're not hardware dependent it should work. I won't be there till next weekend but I'll bring the CPC with me to test before sending. Thanks for jogging my memory, Monadnok!

Monadnock
sage

#5910381 - 06/08/13 08:53 PM

No prob. I THINK they're the same controller, hardware wise. There are 2 different part #'s for the 2 different versions but I believe the fundamental diff is software. A quick flash and you should be all set.

If you can't find your other controller, PM me.

See what Celestron says on Monday. Gotta love how this stuff always happens on weekends. If it needs replacing, and the warranty is expired, who knows, Celestron may still hook you up. If they don't, and you don't want to leave your CGE without a controller, you can get one quickly from that "river" site. The new and improved + version too

btieman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/24/08

#5910971 - 06/09/13 08:22 AM

You may also try a factory reset on the hand controller. Mine has gotten garbled up in the past to the point where it did very odd things until I factory reset it.

Monadnock
sage

Re: No More Tracking new [Re: btieman]
      #5911038 - 06/09/13 09:38 AM

Quote:

You may also try a factory reset on the hand controller. Mine has gotten garbled up in the past to the point where it did very odd things until I factory reset it.

He tried that already. First post
I'm interested to hear what Celestron has to say regarding the issue. Again, I'm not a computer guy but it sure sounds like a software issue the more I think about it. I can't see how the controller being physically bad would cause this issue, though I hope he doesn't have to send the OTA in for service.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#5911118 - 06/09/13 10:38 AM

Am folding, LOL,
Kasey

dwitek
sage

#5911546 - 06/09/13 03:33 PM

I'll post the progress for future generations, LOL.

brucepech

Reged: 04/18/12

Loc: Colorado
      #5914116 - 06/10/13 09:45 PM

I have a similar but not identical problem with a fresh out of the box 11" CPC DeluxeHD. At first light last night, it was immediately apparent that the scope wasn't tracking in ALT-AZ mode during a non-auto, two star alignment. Like the OP, I did an on-the-fly alignment and a goto to Saturn. The goto was successful but Saturn rapidly drifted out of the eyepiece's FOV. To keep the planet in view I had to continually track it manually using the directional arrows. Judging by my Telrad, each subsequent goto was more and more off base -- probably because of my manually tracking the preceding target. Turning the scope off and on again, I noticed that the ALT-AZ tracking mode setting hadn't "stuck" although the tracking rate remained pegged to sidereal. Over the next five hours, turning the scope off and on coupled with successive, on-the-fly two star alignments resulted in acceptable gotos to the first object (M13, M91, M57, Albeiro, etc.) but subsequent failures because the scope wouldn't track without manual intervention.

This morning I did an indoor two star alignment with a planisphere. The scope appeared to track "Altair" for six hours, continually incrementing in both axes according to the Get Axis Positions utility and ending up pointing at the western horizon. However, checking the hand box afterward, it was immediately apparent that, after setting it to ALT-AZ, the mode immediately reverted to "Off" (Menu>Tracking>scroll to ALT-AZ>press Enter>press the Back button until I was at the introductory Alignment display>repeat until reaching Mode>LCD display reads "Off.") However, the North and South Eq modes remained on following the same series of steps.

So I'm well and truly baffled. This morning, the scope appeared to track my faux Altair indoors -- but wouldn't track outdoors yesterday evening. And, while the North and South EQ tracking mode settings remain on when set, the ALT-AZ mode immediately defaults to off. The Handbox is one of the new Nextstar+ models introduced in December which came with firmware version HC:NXS 5.26.2336 loaded. The motor control firmware is MC: 6.16 6.16. I haven't tried to load any other firmware versions -- and don't think newer ones have been issued by Celestron.

Has anyone (other than the OP)with the same Nexstar+ and firmware versions experienced similar issues? Is it possible that the firmware in some handboxes is corrupt while others are OK? Could it be a non-software problem? I've already looked at the other posts in this thread and none of the suggested fixes work -- although I don't have another handbox to try out.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2115

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics