Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
James Ling
sage

Reged: 09/18/10

Loc: Singapore
Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: James Ling]
      #5877515 - 05/22/13 08:22 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

11. As Saturn is already quite high, in our equatorial region, a chair become handy for some to sit down and watch comfortably....like the following photo....

continue....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James Ling
sage

#5877521 - 05/22/13 08:27 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

12. here are more photos taken.....from the public when they looked through the ep......while I am now more relax, talking to one of my astro friend....Simply the mount is tracking beautifully....So i didn't need to do any cursor adjustment for the 2 hours...

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877527 - 05/22/13 08:31 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

13. The sky condition is so good that just after 20 mins of viewing at Saturn, I already able to power up my scope using the baader zoom with a 2X barlow at 300X.....

14. You need to be there in order to see how nice is Saturn, with a very dark and distinct cassini division.....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877539 - 05/22/13 08:38 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

15. For this side walk, we only have 2 telescopes, and the other one is my astro Friend Gary's 10 inch Dob....

16. The 10" Dob is pointing to the moon, and the people over there, are not just enjoying the view, but also using their hp to take a shot of the moon through the ep.....

17. Below picture shows both scopes in action....

continue....

continue.....

James Ling
sage

#5877553 - 05/22/13 08:48 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

18. Although the side walk session is only until 10pm, but there are still many people waiting for the moment for the 152 APM ED APO to be powered up to higher magnification, in order to use their hp to take some photos through the ep....

19. photo shows my astro friend Dave, using his digital camera to take photos of Saturn, after I powered it up to 500X.....(using 4.8mm nagler with 2x barlow)

20. Saturn visually at 500X is still crisp and clear through the APM ED APO, but in very light tone, but the cassini division is still dark and sharp....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877561 - 05/22/13 08:53 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

21. In fact the best view is using my 9mm nagler with 2x barlow at 267X....

22. This is from 2 young girls using their hp to take the photo from the scope...

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877569 - 05/22/13 08:58 AM

23. Finally we finished and packed up around 11pm, have some snacks at the 24 hrs Macdonalds outlet, and then left the place around 12am....

24. Again is another successful night with more than 75% turn out for the astro talks, even is during school examination period....and also huge crowds of people queuing up to look through our telescopes at the Moon and Saturn......

25. And the next one will be 17th June 2013, and hopefully my 8" Istar will be there again , and this time, with the chromacorr 2.....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6012866 - 08/08/13 02:53 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Hi All....

Is almost 3 months that I did not update in this outreach forum.....

Is not that our outreach members stopped while we are facing with the regional haze from Indonesia fires..., and also followed by heavy rain and cloudy sky....

Our last 3 monthly astro talk still continue at the regional library, and they are all very successful with good turnout , almost taking up most of the seats in the allocated lecture room...

Except the poor weather conditions are affecting all the 3 side walk sessions , after the astro talk....
Due to work load, I only attended one of the July session, and knowing the poor weather, I just brought along my new LCM 114.....

Although there is nothing much to see for that night , but those who stayed behind still enjoy the hazy moon through the LCM 114.....

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6012872 - 08/08/13 03:01 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi All....

Sometimes astronomy outreach may not necessary requires a good and clear weather......
Just look at the turn out from this small group , on that super hazy and cloudy night, the crowds are still enjoying , looking through our 2 simple telescope setup for the night....

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6012883 - 08/08/13 03:18 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi All...

And coming 17 August 2013, Saturday night, we are organizing another important astro talk cum observing session at one of our army club house.....

My plan for this coming side walk will be my most treasured 8" F8.8 Istar.... which I have already pulled back form my friend's roof top observatory....

I just hope the weather on that night will be a good one, as there will be the Moon and Saturn for all to look through my Istar.....

Will keep all of you updated...

REgards

James Ling

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6013207 - 08/08/13 09:26 AM

That is one beautiful scope. Are you ever able to get it out to dark skies? I've seen a lot of pics of your outreach activities, just wondering if you ever get it out where it really will strut it's stuff.....You always seem to have large, nicely behaved crowds there...and everything seems so clean.....I have no doubt your efforts have created many budding astronomers.....Good for You!!

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6016972 - 08/10/13 01:14 AM

Hi Randy Ice...

Thanks for your valuable comments....

Yes... this scope has been to some darker sky outside our heavily light polluted city, but not very dark area, coz the organized oversea trips are mainly for students. so safety is one of the consideration...
And following utube is one of the oversea trip I downloaded into utube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1XZO2fDIk

The coming oversea trips already been planned for month of September and October, and I may participate in one of them...

As for our local side walk, quite a number of our members are very actively involved, whereas I could only participate whenever I have the time available....since I am working oversea...
But for this coming 17th August, I will be there even I am late from my return form oversea trip...

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6030164 - 08/17/13 12:20 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Hi ALL....

Is another 7 more hours, and I am going to participate at my astro friend's organized astro talk and side walk, tonight at one of our army club house....

As of now, the weather looks good and I am making preparation to load up my astro gears for this planned event....

Hope tonight will be like our previous planned event, few months ago ,whereby we held it at the same place, with numerous crowds, although the weather is not very promising....

Tonight is also my first public test out of my 8" ISTAR with chromacorr II, and I will see how well it performs at the 11 days old moon, and of course not forgetting the giant gas planet, Saturn......

Will give an update , after the event.......

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6035907 - 08/20/13 06:55 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi All.....

Following are the update from last weekend astro talk and side walk activities at our army club house....

1. As usual, I do not attend the talk, instead spend the time to setup my 8" ISTAR and G11 losmandy mount.

2. And once the ISTAR scope is mounted onto the losmandy mount, I quickly align it to the 11 days old moon, which like previous setup, the crowds are waiting anxiously to look through this giant refractor...

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035913 - 08/20/13 07:00 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

3. Although initially the weather is very cloudy, but after around 30mins of observing, the weather improves, and the clouds become fast moving, and we can get bright clear view of the 11 days old moon.......

4. And the brightness is so bright and glaring from the 8" ISTAR, that I need to put my polarizer...

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035926 - 08/20/13 07:14 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

5. After an hour into the viewing session, Saturn becomes visible as the clouds have cleared, so I quickly move the scope to point at Saturn. (photo attachment)

6. Although Saturn is setting, is around 40 deg, and seems a bit hazy , but that did not stop me from pushing the power up to 450X with my 4mm eye piece...

7. Saturn may not look great, but the 2 moons beside saturn is very clear, although cassini division is not razor sharp, and the cloud bands are faint....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035928 - 08/20/13 07:21 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

8. We have less than an hour of viewing time at Saturn until the clouds covered it again, and is also blocked by the building....But that did not stop the people from enjoying this viewing session...And my ladder become handy for kids....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035932 - 08/20/13 07:28 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

9. After I switched the view back from Saturn to the moon, many people start to use their hand phone to snap photos of the 11 days old moon....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035933 - 08/20/13 07:31 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

10. This is another man , with his son , taking a photo shot through one of my friend's 8" RC scope....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035935 - 08/20/13 07:33 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

11. And even that night we have a lady , which I met her for the first time, setting up her scope for the public....

continue...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7098

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics