Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
James Ling
sage

Reged: 09/18/10

Loc: Singapore
2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore
      #5686361 - 02/18/13 02:20 AM Attachment (51 downloads)

Hi All.....

For 2013, my astronomy friend, Gary is doing his monthly astro talk, in one of our usual local library...

Unfortunately, this is not conducted over the weekend, but during one of the weekday evening time...
And this is followed by a night side walk event , if weather permits....

I did not attend Gary's successful January astro talk and side walk event as I am working oversea....

But for tonight's February astro talk and side walk event, I managed to take my annual leave, to support my friend Gary's astro talk....

And as of now which is just couples of hours away from the astro talk and side walk event, it seems that the weather is still cooperating well, as the past 2 weeks, in our South East Asia regions have been facing with daily heavy downpour..., and one of our member is going to setup a solar scope for the side walk shortly.....

I am getting myself prepared in another hour or two, before setting off , to the local library area.....
And hope this evening is going to another success side walk, although is being carried out on a Monday evening.....

Regards

James Ling

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: James Ling]
      #5687547 - 02/18/13 06:55 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

Hi All....

As I just returned from the 4 hrs session of astro talk and side walk event...., and after unpack, took a few hours of sleep, before I get back to work again, just glad to put down last night another successful event...............

3 hours prior to this planned event, heavy downpour is all over our small island city...

Like previous occasion, I decided to load my astro equipment , while the rain has not stopped...

And when I reached the public library, the astro talk already started....

In this astro talk, Gary touched mainly on selection of the different types of telescopes...and binocular....
And our team even have displayed their telescopes and mounts , in the astro talk, so that those who are attending can physically see the astro equipment.....

After the one and a half hour of talk , we stepped out of the library, and the rain has stopped , and the sky also cleared up , with Jupiter very closely chasing the 9 days old moon....

Two of our team members quickly assist me to the public car park, which is 200M away from our observing site...to unload my astro equipment, and I spend less than half an hour just to setup my 152 APM ED APM onto my G11 losmandy mount....

This time we faced a problem with the observing site ,as there are contractors dismantling the tents and structures, as such we can only use a sector which allow us an hour or more of observing Jupiter and the 9 days old moon, before they disappear behind the building....

Photo shows the crowds queuing behind my telescope.....and we are doing our side walk beside the structures while the contractors are busy dismantling them....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5687553 - 02/18/13 06:58 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

This is another photo showing the crowds behind the scope....

James Ling
sage

#5687564 - 02/18/13 07:01 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

As the crowds is not big this time, already many of them starts to snap photos with their hand phone, on the 9 days old moon....

James Ling
sage

#5687571 - 02/18/13 07:03 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

After around one and a half hour, when Jupiter disappeared behind the building, we moved to another spot, to continue our side walk session.....

James Ling
sage

#5687577 - 02/18/13 07:06 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

Over this side, I am fortunate this time, one of the astro member, even assisting me to explain to the crowds that continue to queue behind my scope...

James Ling
sage

#5687592 - 02/18/13 07:11 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

And lastly with myself posting behind my scope towards the end of the session, before I dismantled my astro equipment, and loaded them into my car, go for my late supper, and then heading home....

Thank you.....

Regards

James Ling

Edited by James Ling (02/18/13 07:14 PM)

James Ling
sage

#5740117 - 03/18/13 05:15 AM

Hi ALL...

One month already past, and tonight is again my friend, Gary's monthly astro talk at the local library, and this will be followed by a side walk....

This month topic, is what everyone watching in this month of March.....Panstarrs comet arrival...

Yes Gary's free public talk is :- COMET HUNTING IN SINGAPORE

As usual, I will support his outreach event by participating in the side walk activities after his talk...

And with 2 to 3 hours to go, weather looks promising, and tonight I will bring along my 10" Mewlon...and hopefully Jupiter with its great red spot transiting at 8pm , our local time, will give everyone another memorable night....
Also this week is the beginning of our school 1st term holiday, we expect many school students be there to join in this side walk event....

Will give everyone an update after tonight's event....

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5742234 - 03/19/13 03:09 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Hi ALL....

Following is a brief report on our last night, monthly astro talk cum side walk event......

1. Weather is really very unpredictable.....
When is 5pm evening time, heavy downpour hit my area, which is 20km away form the event site....

2. And I could only start to load my equipments when is around 7pm......

3. By the time I reached the place, is already around 8pm.... And I missed my friend Gary's astro talk....

4. The photo taken by my other astro friend, Alfred ( The man with a roof top observatory ) shows this time the lecture room is packed.....with more than 50 participants comprising mainly parents and their children, since this is the beginning of our one week school holiday...

Regards

James

James Ling
sage

#5742292 - 03/19/13 05:04 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

5. Gary's talk lasted for one and a half hour, and when I started to setup my 10" Mewlon with my losmandy G11 G2 mount, the people from the talk are just nice, finished the talk, and out to join the side walk.....

6. By the time I have setup the scope, the queue is very long, so i just slew the Mewlon to Jupiter......without any star alignment,,,,,,, And surprisingly the losmandy G11 G2 tracks beautifully.........., and I never need to use the hand controller to adjust the drifted view .

7. Jupiter is already setting , and at around an elevation of 60 deg, we have only less than one and a half hour to enjoy the view before it vanished behind the tall building.....

8. Last night view of Jupiter and its 4 moons are really nicely framed in my eye piece at 150X, to show to the public.....

9. Below is a photo, again from Alfred, showing the big crowds of people, circling our 4 scopes.....

Regards

James Ling

Edited by James Ling (03/19/13 05:06 AM)

James Ling
sage

#5742293 - 03/19/13 05:08 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

10. And this photo shows me explaining to the public , on what to look into the eye piece , at Jupiter and its 4 moons.....

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5742294 - 03/19/13 05:16 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

11. last night, although we started late, but we have around one over hours at Jupiter, and by the time around 10.13pm, it disappears behind the tall building, I point the scope at the 7 days old moon.....

12. And the view form the moon through the 10" mewlon is so terrific, that the last 45mins, till 11pm, the public are using their hand phones to snap the pictures through this scope....

13. Following is a photo shot by Gary using his HTC hand phone....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5742307 - 03/19/13 05:36 AM

14. By the time is 11pm, there are still around 10 person beside my scope, I tried to see whether I can use the G2 GOTO to show them some DSO objects...

15. Surprisingly, after my 2nd alignment (1st one is the moon) to Sirius, I am able to use goto to following DSO within the 55mm TV ep, at 55X...But I end up using the 30mm meade 2" ep from my friend, to get a darker background....

15.1 M42, trapezium and the nebula clouds is very distinct under a highly polluted sky....

15.2 M50, heart shape cluster is also very clear...

15.3 M59, butterfly cluster really showing the 2 triangles which looks like the wings of a butterfly...

15.4 There a few more, but I could not remember the NGC number....

16. After showing some of the DSO, I packed up my equipment , and rush back home as it is already near to midnight time....as well as the next morning , I need to wake up at 6am, and rush to work....

17. Lastly I want to say I really enjoyed last night side walk, and as this is a monthly affair, as such i will be looking forward to the April one, and by then Saturn will be near to opposition..

18. Thank You.....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5810057 - 04/20/13 04:11 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

Hi All....

I would like to update our monthly astro talk cum side walk activities......

This month of April, on last Monday night, we have our astro talk and side walk conducted, and following are some updates from me....

1. This time , I brought along my C14, as it will be great to show the giant gas planet saturn to the public....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5810060 - 04/20/13 04:17 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

2. As usual I setup my Losmandy G11 with the light weight tripod at this bright hosing estate......

James Ling
sage

#5810063 - 04/20/13 04:21 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

3. This is my complete setup for the night observation....
And the crescent moon is just at the background.....of this photo....

James Ling
sage

#5810066 - 04/20/13 04:24 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

4. And you can see how the public enjoyed looking through the eye piece of the C14......

James Ling
sage

#5810069 - 04/20/13 04:26 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

5. This is another shot.....
My ladder proves to be handy for smaller kids.....

James Ling
sage

#5810071 - 04/20/13 04:30 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

6. This photo shows the public queuing behind the telescope.....

James Ling
sage

#5810072 - 04/20/13 04:35 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

7. And towards the end of the session, when Saturn is high up in the sky, one of my astro friend , using his camera and taking both photo and video shot of the giant gas planet Saturn at 450X.....You can see the planet Saturn in his lCD screen.....

James Ling
sage

#5810077 - 04/20/13 04:43 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

Last Monday night, we really have a wonderful session, and tonight , we have another astro talk and night observation session at one of our reserve army club...
As for the latest update, the seats for tonight's astro talk already being signed up....and with 3 more hours to go, the weather is still a blazing hot day ..... so tonight should be another successful event....

REgards

James Ling

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5810673 - 04/20/13 11:44 AM

James, Congratulations for the wonderful things that you and Gary are doing. Opening the sky for so many people, in such a challenging environment, are tremendous examples for the rest of us.

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5811692 - 04/20/13 08:23 PM

Hi Jim...

Thanks for your comments and encouragement.....

We started only doing side walk, and then Gary is able to get the local library to allow us to promote astronomy through monthly talk, and now another venue, which is one of the clubs for national reserve personnel like myself....

Hi ALL....

Although last night weather turns horrible during the viewing session, but the public still manage to get some views of the moon and Saturn when visibility is possible...

I even have a friend who calls me up whether to come down, since the weather is bad...And I told him to wait until near to midnight, and surprisingly, by that time, when Saturn is high up, is shinning bright, and he and a few of those who stayed behind are able to view the giant gas planet at 450X.....

And last night started off with a very good turn out for the astro talk...
And many of our local astronomy club members also came and support this planned event...

Most of them, I only knew through their names in the local astronomy forum, but is my first time I met them....And they are younger than when I started off 15 years ago...

Once I have those photos for last night event sent from my astro friends, I will posted it here..., as I usually spent all the time manning my own telescope. for the whole duration....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5831483 - 04/30/13 01:47 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Hi All...

Following are the highlights on the astro talk and night gazing, done two weekends ago at one of our club house....

And the photos are from one of our astro member, Yuan Huan....

1. This is the first time Gary conducted numerous astro talk, not only the seats are fully occupied, some late comers need to stand and listen to his interesting and participative presentation...

continue...

James Ling
sage

#5831512 - 04/30/13 02:37 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

2. While the talk is on-going, a few of us , who brought along our telescopes , quickly setup for the public, at a nearby big court, the size of two basketball court....
You can see the queue of people from the middle of the basketball court, all the way to the building door way....in this photo...

continue....

Edited by James Ling (04/30/13 09:59 PM)

James Ling
sage

#5831513 - 04/30/13 02:40 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

3. This is another shot taken by another astro member, Guang Wei....showing kid can just use the ladder to see through the C14.....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5831516 - 04/30/13 02:43 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

4. This is another group of astro members setting up the C6R F5 ...... And surprisingly, the moon through the ep is very sharp and crisp , although can see the CA.....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5831517 - 04/30/13 02:48 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

5. This photo shows the young man and his kid looking through the ep of my astro friend Alfred's 5" triplet, at the moon...
And he is the one that I am using his roof top observatory for those recent scopes shootout.....

continue...

Edited by James Ling (04/30/13 09:58 PM)

James Ling
sage

#5831519 - 04/30/13 02:51 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

6. And over another corner, another non tracking scope is also setup for the public to view at Saturn..., which is very low .....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5831592 - 04/30/13 05:24 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

7. This is another photo showing the two kids at the scope....
and is pointing at Saturn.....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5831595 - 04/30/13 05:32 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

8. This one showing me explaining and showing the small little girl to get her eye into the ep onto the planet Saturn...and I think the man behind is his father...

continue.....

James Ling
sage

#5831612 - 04/30/13 05:57 AM

Although the weather for this side walk is very bad, and heavy clouds covered the whole sky.....

We still manage to do some visual on both the moon and Saturn.....

The crowd attendance is much higher than the last few side walk we did at the local library....
But as this is within a club compound, the event only last until around 10.30pm....and the public went back...

But a few of us stay until 12midnight, just to get the best view from Saturn, and again my, astro friend Gary's 10" dob gives a very nice view that even rivals my C14......

As this event come to an end....
Another one , which is just 2 weeks away, we will have another astro talk and side walk event at the local library again.......

Regards

James Ling

The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #5832839 - 04/30/13 05:35 PM

Its nice that you are doing outreach. We need more astronomers with your motivation.

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5833341 - 04/30/13 10:26 PM

Hi Ray.....

Thanks for your comments....
And I am sure my friend Gary and the team will continue to promote side walk astronomy in our small country and light polluted city....

And I really envy both you and Jim , which have big 18" teeter dob...., which is also my dream to acquire similar aperture in the near future, but perhaps can only go for smaller aperture, coz of transportation issue.....

Regards

James Ling

Classic8
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/12/06

Loc: Naperville, IL, USA
      #5834484 - 05/01/13 01:59 PM

Yep, nice of you to get your scopes out for people, they probably don't even notice the sky otherwise, with that much light pollution. And they don't know what they're missing.

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: Classic8]
      #5841372 - 05/05/13 09:57 AM

Hi George.

You are right...many people thought that in such a heavily light polluted city, whereby they could hardly notice stars in the night sky, yet when we can show them the planets, they are very surprised...

And after we have been there for more than 2 years, there are still people who don't believe our equipments are able to see these objects that they only seen in TV and books or magazines....

And I am looking forward another side walk in one week....time....

Regards

James Ling

bluesteel
sage

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: KILM
      #5854389 - 05/11/13 09:03 PM

James,
You are doing a fantastic service to the human race! I applaud you for sharing the views of the cosmos, and wish you luck on your future viewings!

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: bluesteel]
      #5856742 - 05/13/13 01:23 AM

Hi Bro...

Thanks for you comments...

Our next monthly astro talk and side walk will be next week, 20th Monday...and hopefully the weather will not be affecting this event....

And as I am quite busy now with some house renovation works, I may only either just attend to support my astro friends, or bring a small scope , like the 152 APM ED APO, instead of the C14....on this coming 20th planned event..

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5877499 - 05/22/13 08:13 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Hi ALL....

1.This is an update on our last Monday night astro talk and side walk event held at the local Library and the open area......

2. Surprisingly, after a terrible morning thunderstorm, the sky starts to clear up, and the evening sky is great for another night event....

3. I reached the place around 7pm, and started to do my equipment setup while waiting for the astro talk to finish....

4. Everything is as usual, as I did so many times, and this time I brought along my 152 APM ED APO....
And when the talk is over, I power up my losmandy G11 G2, then I realized something is wrong with my controller.....

5. Coz all my previous setting are gone, and the quick start menu is missing....

6. I redo the manual input data all over again....but the G2 couldn't slew to the object i used to do so previously.....It keep slewing round and round, while all the people queuing behind my scope are anxiously waiting to look at Saturn....through this 6" refractor....

7. I powered it down, and re-powered the controller, but all my previous input data is gone....and I need to do it all over again....
And when I know the Goto is not responding.....during my 2nd test.....OMG...

8. So as I am desperate to get the scope going, after I input the data the 3rd time, I manually move the scope to the moon for the finder alignment, then I move it to Saturn, and at 150X with the baader zoom, and at last I managed to let the long queue of people to look through the eye piece , the beautiful giant gas planet....

9. Below is a photo taken by my astro friend, Dave, while I am setting up the scope... and people watching me...

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877506 - 05/22/13 08:17 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

10. This is another photo shot showing the queue to my APM ED APO...The actual queue is about 20M....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877515 - 05/22/13 08:22 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

11. As Saturn is already quite high, in our equatorial region, a chair become handy for some to sit down and watch comfortably....like the following photo....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877521 - 05/22/13 08:27 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

12. here are more photos taken.....from the public when they looked through the ep......while I am now more relax, talking to one of my astro friend....Simply the mount is tracking beautifully....So i didn't need to do any cursor adjustment for the 2 hours...

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877527 - 05/22/13 08:31 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

13. The sky condition is so good that just after 20 mins of viewing at Saturn, I already able to power up my scope using the baader zoom with a 2X barlow at 300X.....

14. You need to be there in order to see how nice is Saturn, with a very dark and distinct cassini division.....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877539 - 05/22/13 08:38 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

15. For this side walk, we only have 2 telescopes, and the other one is my astro Friend Gary's 10 inch Dob....

16. The 10" Dob is pointing to the moon, and the people over there, are not just enjoying the view, but also using their hp to take a shot of the moon through the ep.....

17. Below picture shows both scopes in action....

continue....

continue.....

James Ling
sage

#5877553 - 05/22/13 08:48 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

18. Although the side walk session is only until 10pm, but there are still many people waiting for the moment for the 152 APM ED APO to be powered up to higher magnification, in order to use their hp to take some photos through the ep....

19. photo shows my astro friend Dave, using his digital camera to take photos of Saturn, after I powered it up to 500X.....(using 4.8mm nagler with 2x barlow)

20. Saturn visually at 500X is still crisp and clear through the APM ED APO, but in very light tone, but the cassini division is still dark and sharp....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877561 - 05/22/13 08:53 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

21. In fact the best view is using my 9mm nagler with 2x barlow at 267X....

22. This is from 2 young girls using their hp to take the photo from the scope...

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877569 - 05/22/13 08:58 AM

23. Finally we finished and packed up around 11pm, have some snacks at the 24 hrs Macdonalds outlet, and then left the place around 12am....

24. Again is another successful night with more than 75% turn out for the astro talks, even is during school examination period....and also huge crowds of people queuing up to look through our telescopes at the Moon and Saturn......

25. And the next one will be 17th June 2013, and hopefully my 8" Istar will be there again , and this time, with the chromacorr 2.....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6012866 - 08/08/13 02:53 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Hi All....

Is almost 3 months that I did not update in this outreach forum.....

Is not that our outreach members stopped while we are facing with the regional haze from Indonesia fires..., and also followed by heavy rain and cloudy sky....

Our last 3 monthly astro talk still continue at the regional library, and they are all very successful with good turnout , almost taking up most of the seats in the allocated lecture room...

Except the poor weather conditions are affecting all the 3 side walk sessions , after the astro talk....
Due to work load, I only attended one of the July session, and knowing the poor weather, I just brought along my new LCM 114.....

Although there is nothing much to see for that night , but those who stayed behind still enjoy the hazy moon through the LCM 114.....

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6012872 - 08/08/13 03:01 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi All....

Sometimes astronomy outreach may not necessary requires a good and clear weather......
Just look at the turn out from this small group , on that super hazy and cloudy night, the crowds are still enjoying , looking through our 2 simple telescope setup for the night....

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6012883 - 08/08/13 03:18 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi All...

And coming 17 August 2013, Saturday night, we are organizing another important astro talk cum observing session at one of our army club house.....

My plan for this coming side walk will be my most treasured 8" F8.8 Istar.... which I have already pulled back form my friend's roof top observatory....

I just hope the weather on that night will be a good one, as there will be the Moon and Saturn for all to look through my Istar.....

Will keep all of you updated...

REgards

James Ling

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6013207 - 08/08/13 09:26 AM

That is one beautiful scope. Are you ever able to get it out to dark skies? I've seen a lot of pics of your outreach activities, just wondering if you ever get it out where it really will strut it's stuff.....You always seem to have large, nicely behaved crowds there...and everything seems so clean.....I have no doubt your efforts have created many budding astronomers.....Good for You!!

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6016972 - 08/10/13 01:14 AM

Hi Randy Ice...

Thanks for your valuable comments....

Yes... this scope has been to some darker sky outside our heavily light polluted city, but not very dark area, coz the organized oversea trips are mainly for students. so safety is one of the consideration...
And following utube is one of the oversea trip I downloaded into utube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1XZO2fDIk

The coming oversea trips already been planned for month of September and October, and I may participate in one of them...

As for our local side walk, quite a number of our members are very actively involved, whereas I could only participate whenever I have the time available....since I am working oversea...
But for this coming 17th August, I will be there even I am late from my return form oversea trip...

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6030164 - 08/17/13 12:20 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Hi ALL....

Is another 7 more hours, and I am going to participate at my astro friend's organized astro talk and side walk, tonight at one of our army club house....

As of now, the weather looks good and I am making preparation to load up my astro gears for this planned event....

Hope tonight will be like our previous planned event, few months ago ,whereby we held it at the same place, with numerous crowds, although the weather is not very promising....

Tonight is also my first public test out of my 8" ISTAR with chromacorr II, and I will see how well it performs at the 11 days old moon, and of course not forgetting the giant gas planet, Saturn......

Will give an update , after the event.......

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6035907 - 08/20/13 06:55 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi All.....

Following are the update from last weekend astro talk and side walk activities at our army club house....

1. As usual, I do not attend the talk, instead spend the time to setup my 8" ISTAR and G11 losmandy mount.

2. And once the ISTAR scope is mounted onto the losmandy mount, I quickly align it to the 11 days old moon, which like previous setup, the crowds are waiting anxiously to look through this giant refractor...

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035913 - 08/20/13 07:00 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

3. Although initially the weather is very cloudy, but after around 30mins of observing, the weather improves, and the clouds become fast moving, and we can get bright clear view of the 11 days old moon.......

4. And the brightness is so bright and glaring from the 8" ISTAR, that I need to put my polarizer...

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035926 - 08/20/13 07:14 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

5. After an hour into the viewing session, Saturn becomes visible as the clouds have cleared, so I quickly move the scope to point at Saturn. (photo attachment)

6. Although Saturn is setting, is around 40 deg, and seems a bit hazy , but that did not stop me from pushing the power up to 450X with my 4mm eye piece...

7. Saturn may not look great, but the 2 moons beside saturn is very clear, although cassini division is not razor sharp, and the cloud bands are faint....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035928 - 08/20/13 07:21 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

8. We have less than an hour of viewing time at Saturn until the clouds covered it again, and is also blocked by the building....But that did not stop the people from enjoying this viewing session...And my ladder become handy for kids....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035932 - 08/20/13 07:28 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

9. After I switched the view back from Saturn to the moon, many people start to use their hand phone to snap photos of the 11 days old moon....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035933 - 08/20/13 07:31 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

10. This is another man , with his son , taking a photo shot through one of my friend's 8" RC scope....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035935 - 08/20/13 07:33 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

11. And even that night we have a lady , which I met her for the first time, setting up her scope for the public....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035937 - 08/20/13 07:36 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

12. And we even have an old man, setting up this little 40mm refractor scope....

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035940 - 08/20/13 07:39 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

13. And another of my astro friend standing beside his 4" triplet....while the people is sitting down enjoying the views...

continue...

James Ling
sage

#6035942 - 08/20/13 07:43 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

14. And see how enjoyable my astro friends, with their 80mm refractor scope....

15. of course there are 3 more scopes for the night, that I did not took the photo, one is the ultima C8 and two dobs, 8" and 10"....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#6035946 - 08/20/13 07:49 AM

16. That night although is only 3 hours of viewing session, I feel so enjoyable , even I spent so much time for preparation....

17. But side walk astronomy is always fun and if you like it, you will not mind the inconvenient... and always looking forward for the next one....

18. Thank you .....And hopefully I can take part the next month Chinese lunar festival....

Regards

james Ling

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #6041185 - 08/23/13 03:03 AM

James, your posts are always very uplifting. Right now we are in our local monsoon season; I haven't been able to get out to the public in almost seven weeks. It is always enjoyable to live through your experiences at these times. Many thanks to you, Gary, and the rest of your group for the joy and enlightenment you bring to your community.

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: Skylook123]
      #6271464 - 12/24/13 10:32 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Hi ALL...

It has been 4 months since my last update in this outreach section.....and even the last mid September outreach at our local park celebrating the Chinese lunar festival, I have not been able to post any details until today i am able to have free time to do some update....

Work commitment has resulted the past 3 months, without participating all local planned astro talk and side walk activities by Gary....

The following are the last outreach done in mid September , at our local park......whereby I brought along my 152 APM ED APO, as it is easy for setup.....

1. People queuing up for their turn to look through from the telescope's eye-piece, at the moon....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#6271469 - 12/24/13 10:35 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi ALL...

2. This is another photo showing the people while queuing up for their turn to look through the telescope's eye-piece, are also carrying lanterns, as part of the celebration of our oriental lunar month moon cake festival...
The telescope is pointing at Venus, while it is setting in the West.....

REgards

James Ling....

James Ling
sage

#6271471 - 12/24/13 10:38 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Hi ALL...

3. Here is another telescope with people waiting for their turn to view at Venus......

REgards

James Ling...

James Ling
sage

#6271476 - 12/24/13 10:45 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi ALL...

4. While in this outreach night, the clouds kept rolling in and moving away, which causes a lot of stoppages...I used my hand phone to show and explain to the people that they can also uses some of the free astronomy software to find and identify the objects in the sky that we are showing them....

Regards

James Ling...

James Ling
sage

#6271484 - 12/24/13 10:51 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Hi ALL...

As this is near to end of December 2013, I wish everyone here in the forum, a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY 2014 NEW YEAR....

And the next astro talk and side walk organize by Gary will be coming 4th January 2014, and I hope to attend and bring along my 8" ISTAR, which now equipped with Chromacorr II, to show Jupiter, which is one day away from opposition....

Photo shows the ISTAR during end 2012 at the same side walk venue..

REgards

James Ling

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7100

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics