Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Devildadeo

Reged: 08/23/11

Club Facebook page suggestions please
      #5807954 - 04/18/13 11:50 PM

Our club just tonight started a Facebook page. I was hoping that some of you are in clubs with successful Facebook presences and could offer a few suggestions on which way to take this. My idea was the standard PSA type stuff about celestial events and notifications about club outings and public nights at our observatory. Then using those to comment on the pages of local news and educational organizations to get the word out. Any other fun ideas you wouldn't mind sharing? I'd also love links to your club's pages so I could poke around too. I'll "like" them, I promise.

Clear skies,
Rock

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/05/03

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: Devildadeo]
      #5813735 - 04/21/13 06:28 PM

Here's ours: https://www.facebook.com/NCSFAstronomy

BarbMoore
sage

Reged: 05/11/09

Loc: South central New Mexico
Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: Astrosetz]
      #5814504 - 04/22/13 12:58 AM

This is our group's. We haven't had a Facebook presence for very long. https://www.facebook.com/AmateurAstronomersGroup

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5815108 - 04/22/13 12:06 PM

Rock,
Remember some folx don't/won't/can't do FB. I can at home (on my glacially slow connection), I can't at work (Network denied, but a 3T connection)..

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5815537 - 04/22/13 03:32 PM

Yup on the will not use FB personally. There are a few of us out there although I wouldn't let that stop you! I'd guess the percentage of non-users is incredibly small and of no consequence...therefore I had to add it to the mix I guess.

Well, have fun!

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: herrointment]
      #5817528 - 04/23/13 01:46 PM

There are over 1 billion active users of Facebook, and way back in April 2010 an estimated 41% of the entire US population had an account. It's a *huge* audience and very effective at local communication. I posted a picture of our club members at a regional convention and at last check it reached 602 people (we have 191 people who "like" our page). We've had two new members join our group this year after discovering us on Facebook. I'm a huge believer in social media for astronomy outreach.

Devildadeo

#5817765 - 04/23/13 03:16 PM

I agree with you Astrosetz. The potential audience is to large to pass up.

Thanks for posting your pages. Once we've got ours up and running properly I'll add the link to ours.

darthwyll

Reged: 03/29/10

Loc: Southeast Texas
      #5819498 - 04/24/13 10:55 AM

I set up a facebook for the Astronomical Society of South East Texas a while ago and it has been a huge success for our club. We have over 170 "likes" and have had people find us on FB and come join the club, attend our classes etc. We do the typical posting of astro events and such and everyone loves it. We update on star parties, meetings, special events, guest speakers and whatever else we are doing at the time. It's a great way for people to quickly access your clubs info and seek you out. You can also get your webmaster to integrate the facebook feed into your clubs main page so that anyone who finds your web site can see the facebook and twitter feed. You can see what Im talking about on ours: www.asset-astronomer.org

A while back I started doing a trivia question. The prize is something someone donated or that the club had lying around to give away, like calendars, planishperes, star maps, etc. Those who answer the question MUST show up to the meeting to claim their prize. This gets you people in the door and helps boost your online footprint. The way I work it is that the first person to answer correctly (and shows up) gets the prize. I'll go down the list of correct responses until I get to someone who came to the meeting, then we have a winner! It's great fun for the fans and for you too. Coming up with the question is always fun.

I agree that it draws a huge crowd and is extremely effective if used often. Make daily or weekly posts if you can and it keeps you in people's news feeds. That is what you want. Anyway I hope my experience helps! Look us up and like us if you're on FB.

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: darthwyll]
      #5819783 - 04/24/13 01:18 PM

The trivia question is a GREAT idea! You don't mind if I shamelessly steal that for our club up north, do you?

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5822251 - 04/25/13 01:54 PM

Astrosetz,
Don't get me wrong folx, I do have a FB account, & check it ~1x week, but some folx don't/won't/can't do FB. Same thing with Youtube. I can't do that either for the same reasons. Really stinks. I'm also not saying not to do FB, but add the link to it on a homepage if your club has one, which is also a very good idea.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5823254 - 04/25/13 10:11 PM

Startraffic -- good point on needing a general website in addition to social media. Not only for those who aren't on Facebook/Twitter/Google+ but also because you have a lot more flexibility on layout and content.

Side note -- it's really easy to insert a window into a webpage that has the latest "favorite" post from a Twitter account. We use this for "up to the minute" information, go/no go type stuff, on our website. It allows anyone who has access to the club Twitter account to update that little section of the club website from just about anywhere from any device

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5824318 - 04/26/13 12:40 PM

Here's the Astronomical Society of Harriburg's Naylor Observatory FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naylor-Observatory/119936231417958

Dave Mitsky

jmartin

Reged: 08/25/08

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5828870 - 04/28/13 06:22 PM

The Corpus Christi Astronomical Society has recently went to facebook and it does get info out there.

CCAS

Devildadeo

Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: jmartin]
      #5850510 - 05/09/13 05:28 PM

thanks for the posts guys. I've "liked" them both. Keep them coming. BTW, great cover photo on CCAS!

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
      #5866922 - 05/17/13 11:34 AM

I have had an Astronomy Israel Facebook page for over two years. Now with over 2500 "Likes". https://www.facebook.com/AstronomyIsrael

If you want to coordinate a group of people it's great for that. If you want to reach out to the great Unwashed that will cost you advertising dollars. Facebook only shows your page to about 6% of the Likers unless they expicitly choose to follow you. Otherwise you have to pay to reach them.

/Ira

Devildadeo

Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: Ira]
      #5868710 - 05/18/13 03:08 AM

I like what you're doing there Ira. The PSA portion of the page is important to me. I have hit the "promote" button to see the rates before. I have yet to try it with the club page though. We haven't yet worked out a clear vision for our message. Hopefully we can do that at our next member meeting. You now have 2546 likes.

sleepy
9/11 Medic

Reged: 07/10/10

Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR
      #5869255 - 05/18/13 12:34 PM

Cool!
Check out the page we started... We could use a few likes...lool
Feel free to critique.
https://www.facebook.com/ColumbiaGorgeAmateurAstronomers?ref=hl

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
      #5872128 - 05/19/13 06:21 PM

Quote:

I like what you're doing there Ira. The PSA portion of the page is important to me. I have hit the "promote" button to see the rates before. I have yet to try it with the club page though. We haven't yet worked out a clear vision for our message. Hopefully we can do that at our next member meeting. You now have 2546 likes.

Thanks! Now up to 2548!

/Ira

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Club Facebook page suggestions please new [Re: Ira]
      #5872459 - 05/19/13 08:52 PM

Omaha Astronomical Society... http://www.facebook.com/omahaastro

FB page is great for keeping public up to date on last minute cloud outs, posting photos from events as they're happening, etc, etc.

Here's a useful snippet which allows you to embed your FB feed on your website... for those who, for whatever reason, aren't on FB... just do a view source on the page to see the html/javascript.

http://www.omahaastro.com/embedfb.htm

darthwyll

Reged: 03/29/10

Loc: Southeast Texas
      #5878493 - 05/22/13 04:31 PM

Quote:

The trivia question is a GREAT idea! You don't mind if I shamelessly steal that for our club up north, do you?

Not at all! Enjoy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4525

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics