Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Faraway

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: A white zone
Your best magnification on planets
      #5079381 - 02/19/12 12:00 AM

Hey there,

I am curious to know the highest magnifications you all have managed on planets, and the best details you have been able to glean. It would be nice to know what light pollution and seeing were like at the time.

I'm kind of limited here by light pollution & eyepieces personally, and I'm using my imagination to fill in for Mars' polar caps, Venus's clouds, the division in Saturn's rings, etc. Just wondering what you all are seeing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Faraway]
      #5079413 - 02/19/12 12:23 AM

With my SCT, I've used >700x to good advantage on Mars and Mercury, and ~500x on Saturn. Of course the seeing was exceptional at those times (or it wouldn't have worked). Saturn was seen razor sharp through high clouds; Mars was in a clear sky. Mercury was tough (as always!) but took the magnification well and grudgingly showed me some albedo features.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5079496 - 02/19/12 01:49 AM

Far, I have gone way up there on Mars, too. But generally it depends on the planet. Jupiter is best about 200x in a 6", so maybe about 35x per inch is good. Much beyond that, and you begin to loose some contrast. Saturn can take closer to 50x per inch. And as Rick says, Mars can handle powers beyond even that.

It's said that about 30x per inch (or 1.2x per millimeter) shows everything a scope can show on a planet. But, I find higher powers make observing Mars a bit easier. Approaching 50x per inch, though, you are really testing your scope as well as seeing conditions.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
      #5079501 - 02/19/12 01:54 AM

Quote:

Hey there,

I am curious to know the highest magnifications you all have managed on planets, and the best details you have been able to glean. It would be nice to know what light pollution and seeing were like at the time.

I'm kind of limited here by light pollution & eyepieces personally, and I'm using my imagination to fill in for Mars' polar caps, Venus's clouds, the division in Saturn's rings, etc. Just wondering what you all are seeing.

The best Planetary views I have ever had we're not from any dark sky site but from a suburban back yard so light pollution seems to have very little if any effect on the situation and it's really all about the atmospheric conditions being superb .
On the "outstanding observations" list I have logged the following ;
With my 8 inch Scmidt Newtonian :
Saturm at 381x using a Meade 4000 series 6.4mm Super Plossl with a Meade 3x Shorty Barlow .
Simply unreal on two nights back to back on February 8th and 9th of 2008 .
Jupiter at best with this scope so far at 195x .
Mars at 252x .
The Meade SN8 is really a much better deep space scope than it is a Planetary scope but can really be surprising when the conditions are just right .
With my 5 inch Meade AR 5 achromatic refractor :
Mercury at 122x .
Venus at 184x .
Mars at 244x .
Jupiter at 122x .
Saturn at 244x .
With my Tasco 11TE-5 4.5 inch Newt :
Mars at 240x .
Saturn at 150 x .
Jupiter. at 120x .
With my Tasco 7T 60mm refractor (1958 vintage) :
Venus at 73x . (bad night)
Mars at 280x . (great night) Who wooda thunk with 60mm ?
Jupiter at 91x . It can be pushed but I like hard line detail .
Saturn at 146x .
With my Tasco 66TE 50mm refractor with vintage .965 eyepieces .
Mars at 120x .
Jupiter at 120x .
Saturn does indeed take magnification better than Jupiter and on good nights Mars will support even more . And .............
Keeping a good log book is a good thing .

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: starrancher]
      #5079569 - 02/19/12 03:25 AM

I once got Mars up to 719x and still was able to resolve the polar cap and the greenish regions.

Saturn for me topped out at 575x.

Jupiter has been tougher, only permitting me to get it to 313x or 400x at most.

Neptune and Uranus allowed me to enlarge them up to 719x and still see a defined circumference (limb), and Neptune permitted a blow up to 920x, although it was definitely soft-looking.

planet earth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5079640 - 02/19/12 06:39 AM

If I had a 8 f6 with a 1200mm f.l. I would have 3 eyepieces for the planets.
A 5mm, 6mm and a 8mm giving 150X, 200X and X240X.
A perfect set would be 8.5mm,7mm 6mm and 5mm.
With good seeing I use a 6mm, 7.5mm, 9mm and a 10.5mm with my 8 inch f7.6 1530mm f.L.giving X146,X170 X204 and X255.
Clear Skies
Sam

Edited by planet earth (02/19/12 07:09 AM)

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5079688 - 02/19/12 07:51 AM

The highest magnification I've used with my 10" refl was 503x. This magnification has worked well with Mars and Saturn but only under excellent seeing conditions.

Rich (RLTYS)

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5080273 - 02/19/12 01:39 PM

My 180mm Mak-Cass f15 ....
I can see all details and sharp on Mars at 193X (14mm eyepiece) but I like 307X (8.8mm eyepiece) is the best for Mars. 193 and 307 power is great on Juipter. I use 6.7mm eyepiece for 403 power on Mars and Juipter when the night is real good and crystal clear. I dont see Saturn yet that I just got my new 180mm Mak-Cass last December and I cant wait to see Saturn! I believe that 193 and 307 power is good for details in Saturn's rings.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5080318 - 02/19/12 01:59 PM

I generally get the maximum planetary detail while maintaining adequate contrast at between about 27x per inch of aperture and 35x per inch of aperture if the seeing will allow it. I can go a little higher on a high-contrast object like the moon or Saturn, but for objects that have a variety of lower contrast features, much beyond 40x per inch, there is little further increase in detail and the contrast may even start to decline a little (on Jupiter especially, where floaters in my eyes start to get a little more noticeable). The highest power I have used on the moon in my 14 inch Newtonian is 836x (about 60x per inch), but again, there wasn't much visible that wasn't also visible at about half that power. On Jupiter, I have my favorite powers at between 384x (27x per inch of aperture) and 471x (34x per inch of aperture) with the 14 inch. Clear skies to you.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5080368 - 02/19/12 02:31 PM

I don't find light pollution much of a factor for planets. It's pretty much all about seeing for me. I am close to David's estimate -- rarely get much above 200x on Jupiter, perhaps a litrle more on other planets and up to 300x on the moon, unless I want to just ignore the thermal distortion and get right down on the surface.

Light pollution is a big deterrent in my SCT for DSOs, but not much on planets or doubles. Then it's atmospheric stability that comes into play.

Faraway

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: A white zone
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: planet earth]
      #5081151 - 02/19/12 09:56 PM

500-700x...you've been stacking Barlows on end, eh? That's very impressive.

I haven't had much success at 266x; Jupiter's cloud bands start to run in on each other & mars remains featureless. I've read that 200-240 is the most practical magnification for a typical night.

I'm interested to know whether anyone has any advice for achieving those views (other than waiting for a clear night...). And thanks, Sam -- a 6mm is in my near future.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5081323 - 02/20/12 12:03 AM

Typically through my 8" a decent working magnification on any planet is 200x to 250x. Exceptions are frequent however. Poor seeing often drops it down to 140x-173x. Very good seeing on Mars and Saturn make 312x to 364x useful with as high as 412x on Mars. Neptune under good seeing is simply beautiful at 433x to 505x.

The moon in the best seeing even takes 364x to 433x well. In poor seeing, again, about 140x to 173x. By and large 200x to 240x is a happy medium when the seeinf permits it.

Typically my smaller scope the 70mm enjoys high mags like a small toyota enjoys high RPMs. One Hundred power is common on all planets in mediocre to poor seeing . In good to very good Ill get great views anywhere from 133x to 200x. Its astonishing how crisp the image looks at 200x. Though not entirely profitable, for fun it is wild to see the same small scope handle 300x on the moon.

Pete

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5081376 - 02/20/12 01:08 AM

I've had Saturn at 342x and Mars at 480x with my 8" dob one morning of fantastic seeing a few weeks ago. Saturn was very crisp I could trace Cassini Division all the way around and Mars was showing spots of cloud and fog with limb haze aswell, along with subtle surface markings.

Last year on another similarly excellent night, I've used 600x with the same scope on Uranus and Neptune to tease out their moons and the disks themselves were still quite sharp rather than the fuzzy diffuse blob you see in poorer seeing.

Jupiter as many others have said doesn't magnify very well, it seems about 200-250x is the sweet spot, unless seeing is exceptional which I haven't had yet when observing it.

Typically though, I tend to max out at about 200x, maybe 240x regardless before things start going south.

Edited by HellsKitchen (02/20/12 01:10 AM)

stevenp_86
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/30/11

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5081381 - 02/20/12 01:16 AM

it boggles my mind how anyone can get over x200 on jupiter looks blurry at x200 for me, (x150 is best for me)

saturn looks awesome at x45 x85 x135 x200... who ami kidding, saturn is immune to magnification it seems, it always looks good

mars, i dono what i am doing wrong but x150 is the mosti can go on it, then it just gets blurry after that

my vision is ultra perfect, so i guess thats why everything looks blurry to me? its kind of ironic...

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

#5081383 - 02/20/12 01:19 AM

Quote:

I haven't had much success at 266x; Jupiter's cloud bands start to run in on each other & mars remains featureless. I've read that 200-240 is the most practical magnification for a typical night.

I'm interested to know whether anyone has any advice for achieving those views (other than waiting for a clear night...). And thanks, Sam -- a 6mm is in my near future.

Bottom line really is that Mother Nature is in charge when it comes to these views . It's not a matter of it being a clear night but more a matter of it being a stable night . Atmospheric stability is going to dictate the quality of the image no matter what . Not only that but Mars can be a tough nut to crack . It seems that this disc is a little more finicky than the others . Patience and perseverance is needed and with that eventually those nights of great seeing will show up .
This holds true with the DSOs too . I've seen detail in many that I haven't been able to achieve since . On an exceptional night NGC7293 looked photographic as did M33 and M31 . I sometimes wonder if I'll ever see them again the way I've had the chance to see them before . It's just one of those things .

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: stevenp_86]
      #5081396 - 02/20/12 01:33 AM

Quote:

it boggles my mind how anyone can get over x200 on jupiter looks blurry at x200 for me, (x150 is best for me)

saturn looks awesome at x45 x85 x135 x200... who ami kidding, saturn is immune to magnification it seems, it always looks good

mars, i dono what i am doing wrong but x150 is the mosti can go on it, then it just gets blurry after that

my vision is ultra perfect, so i guess thats why everything looks blurry to me? its kind of ironic...

To tell ya the truth , the most reliable magnification I have found for Jupiter to be is at 122x . On an exceptional night I was able to double that to 244x in my 5 inch refractor and then on a lousy night it starts to fall apart before I can get to 100x .
On Mars , I don't think your doing anything wrong other than being at the wrong place at the wrong time . It is what it is and Mars can be a real bugger .

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5081473 - 02/20/12 05:33 AM

If you cannot get a good image at 27x to 35x per inch, as Dave mentions, first place to look is the seeing conditions.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5081705 - 02/20/12 10:07 AM

Seeing is everything when it comes to planets. Light pollution by itself doesn't really have any effect. What does have an effect is the air pollutants and rising heat waves that normally accompany heavy LP.

As for magnification, I would rather have a somewhat smaller image that is sharp and detailed than a larger one that is soft. Here is what I prefer in my XT6:

JUPITER - When it was close to opposition I used around 175x for a sharp and detailed image. Now that it's getting further away I like around 135x-150x. I also use a broadband filter and a yellow filter.

MARS - This one is very close to opposition right now and takes higher mags well. I'm using around 320x most of the time, some nights backing down to 240x. I recently got an Orion Mars filter and use it most of the time - it does what Orion claims. People seem to either love or hate this filter, but I really like mine and no longer use my orange or blue filters.

SATURN - This is another one that I like to observe at around 175x, a bit higher on exceptional nights. Like Jupiter, I use my broadband and yellow filters sometimes.

VENUS - With Venus I use mags around 135x to observe the phase, but I also use up to 320x to try to see detail. The two things I do for better results are to observe as soon as it becomes visible (before it gets dark) and I use my UHC filter to tone down the glare and help bring out white cloud features.

Ed D

Edited by Ed D (02/20/12 10:09 AM)

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Ed D]
      #5082083 - 02/20/12 02:03 PM

Good see at high power is deoends on what kind of telescope you have and good clear night. 3 inch refractor at 300 power is not as good as 180mm Mak-Cass at 300 power. I have no problem at 300 and 400 power on my 7.1" Mak-Cass on good night. Last Night I can see green features and polar cap easily at only 193 power. (14mm eyepiece) My 7.1 inch get more light that I can see details on Mars as low as 193X. It made me wonder what Mars looks like if I have 14 inch f15 Mak-Cass!

E_Look
Post Laureate

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Illinois]
      #5082301 - 02/20/12 04:27 PM

Yes, I got sharp views of Mars, its polar cap and greenish mare last night with a 7 mm EP in my 8" Newt at 143x. But it was *not impressive*; I got a somewhat more noticeably softer view at 400x with the 2.5 mm EP, but that was IMPRESSIVE. I.e., it looked cool! The small-medium dot at 143x was well-focused and tidy; the BIG dot at 400x was only comparatively sloppy. If I didn't see the medium mag view first, I might have considered it a somewhat tight view.

E_Look
Post Laureate

#5082306 - 02/20/12 04:29 PM

Oh, that was me. I only have one Barlow. But I've got those great short f/l TMB Planetaries. When you Barlow one of those on a night of decent to good seeing... it's sublime! Last night was only sublemon; I couldn't get past 400x and had to observe through a cloud layer.

Quote:

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: E_Look]
      #5082438 - 02/20/12 05:53 PM

Quote:

If you cannot get a good image at 27x to 35x per inch, as Dave mentions, first place to look is the seeing conditions.

It's not always seeing conditions. It can also be a bad mirror / lens, bad collimation etc....but generally speaking if your scope is up to the task it will be the seeing conditions.

For me:

Mars = 250x-350x
Jupiter = 180x-250x
Saturn = 200x-350x
Venus = 80x-200x (Depending on the Phase)
Uranus = 300x-450x
Neptune = 350x-500x

Cheers,

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5087541 - 02/23/12 03:54 PM

Saturn this morning was razor sharp at 342x in the 8". Cassini division was easily seen all the way round.

cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: planet earth]
      #5088940 - 02/24/12 01:39 PM

When I had my 8" f/6 (1200mm FL), I loved the views Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon at the lowish power of 180x. With this scope (8" f/6), I had - and still do - 12mm, 15mm, 20mm, 40mm along with 2x and 3x barlows. The 40mm I used by itself for a low-power view of 30x. These gave me magnifications of 30x, 60x, 80x, 100x, 120x, 160x, 180x, 200x, 240x and 300x. Nice evenly-spaced mags, more or less. I still use these with the 12" f/5, but not with these nice round, easy-to-remember magnificaions. I haven't found my favorate magnfication with the 12" yet. Based on what the 8" gave me, this mag would should be 270x (22.5x per inch).Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. These EPs are inexpensive ($30 range) Plossls from Agenaastro.com.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5091079 - 02/25/12 09:33 PM

I tend to use about 200x to 300x for most planetary observing. Seeing rarely allows more than 250x though.

But at 250x, I can see a pretty huge amount of detail.. More than I can easily describe.

For example about 2 months ago, I resolved Galilee Reggio and Osirus ray system on Ganymede at about 260x.

On Jupiter and Mars, at 260x there is almost always a lot of detial present, including barges, festoons multiple thick bands, ovals, garlands, and intensity variation inside the GRS.

Much of this detail is even visible at 200x.

The key to seeing this kind of detail on planets is not magnification. It is starting with conditions (seeing, thermal equilibrium) and using a telescope with good optics and lots of clear aperture.

There is seldom a need to go beyond 300x for planets in my C14. Most of the best observations I personally have made have been at powers between 200X and 300x. I rarely go higher than this.

Edited by Eddgie (02/25/12 09:57 PM)

Richard Low
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/27/05

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5097079 - 02/29/12 08:27 AM

Last Sat. i had a great view of Mars and Saturn sharp at 788x with 15" dob. And i managed to observe Encke Division.

Details are in the 3rd report on 25 Feb 2012 in here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5096974/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Usually i have sharp views of Saturn and Mars at 563x on my 15" f/4.5 dob. That gives about 37.5x per inch.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
      #5097083 - 02/29/12 08:33 AM

"With my Tasco 7T 60mm refractor (1958 vintage) :
Venus at 73x . (bad night)
Mars at 280x . (great night) Who wooda thunk with 60mm ?"

According to what it says on the box, you could have gone even higher!!!

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: BDS316]
      #5097363 - 02/29/12 11:17 AM

Quote:

According to what it says on the box, you could have gone even higher!!!

My box said 900x with a 3x Barlow and a 4mm Ramsden eyepiece. Supplied.

On Mars, about 450x on good nights and 540x on better nights without too much trouble. It's true, as much can be seen at lower magnification, but boosting image scale helps some, IMO. I'll go as high as conditions permit. On Jupiter, though, pretty much limited to 30x maybe 40x per inch.

penguinx64
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Holland
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: E_Look]
      #6233317 - 12/04/13 01:01 PM

Quote:

I once got Mars up to 719x and still was able to resolve the polar cap and the greenish regions.

Neptune and Uranus allowed me to enlarge them up to 719x and still see a defined circumference (limb), and Neptune permitted a blow up to 920x, although it was definitely soft-looking.

So I need a 719x telescope to see Mars or Uranus? No problem. I just need a 4mm eyepiece with 2x and 5x barlows in Celestron Firstscope for 750x.

Ptarmigan
Lagopus lagopus

Reged: 09/23/04

Loc: Arctic
      #6233567 - 12/04/13 03:16 PM

With an 8 inch f/6 telescope, I use 203x and rarely 407x. This is with a 6 mm eyepiece. Light pollution is not a factor for planets.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: penguinx64]
      #6235085 - 12/05/13 10:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So I need a 719x telescope to see Mars or Uranus? No problem. I just need a 4mm eyepiece with 2x and 5x barlows in Celestron Firstscope for 750x.

Lol, sounds like a plan to me.

Pete

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
      #6243004 - 12/09/13 04:03 PM

My absolute best views I have ever seen of Jupiter were in my suburban back yard in 5/5 seeing condition's in the spring time with my TOA-130 using my TV 15mm Panoptic with my 4x Powermate for about 270x, and and at 330x with my 5x Powermate again using my 15mm TV Plossls in my Denkmeier binoviewer. These are extremely rare occurrences, and happen maybe just once or twice a year at best, when the conditions just seem to be ideal. Festoons on jupiter look like waves of water, gaps between the GRS are visible, and there are clearly defined lines separating the bands. Following a night like this, everyone in the forums talk about the exceptional seeing conditions and how they were able to get incredible views out of their gear.
Generally, Jupiter hits the ceiling at around 200x to 250x for me on very good nights of 5/5 seeing conditions with my TOA. Jupiter is also beautiful in my C14, and good for 200x to 250x on ideal seeing conditions, but the best views in my refractor are better than my best views in my C14, though the contras in my C14 and colors on Jupiter are much much greater and colorful in my C14.
Above those magnifications, the razor sharp definition starts to fall off, and loses its High Definition details. Naturally, you can go as high as your scope and eyepiece will let you, but it just becomes a lost number game with no added benefit. I have a friend who's closing in on 60 years old, and he still thinks like a 12 year old in terms of magnification, and always cranks up his scopes to ridiculous high powers so every detail is lost, then brags about how his scope and gear are so great. He even does this on deep space, sometimes where something is just a blob of light, and thinks hes impressing someone. What a joke.

Saturn is usually good for 200x to 300x, because you are basically separating the bands, which have less details than the small details on Jupiter's surface. When Saturn was displaying storms on the surface ( white clouds) a few years back, my C14 was the scope I used because it also gave me more contras than my TOA and the clouds were easier to see with more aperture.

In 2003, when Mars was at opposition, Mars was excellent sometimes as high as 350x, but for now its good for 200x and getting better.

Venus with its thin crescent is beautiful at 150x, and more if you can catch it high enough in the sky when the atmosphere doesn't blur its beautiful crescent. Venus is also fun to find and show others in broad daylight. Give that a try this time of the year when its crescent is very obvious!.

Uranus and Nepture are best for me with a larger scope. Ive had beautiful views of Uranus at 435x in my C14, where its 15th magnitude moons are clearly visible and its sharp round blue disk is clearly seen.

Neptune is more of a struggle but can still be seen at those high magnifications, because all I try to do is get that blue disc as big and sharp as possible.

....Ralph

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6254686 - 12/15/13 03:33 PM

Cool thread! On my 6" I got Saturn up to 320x and with a Lightbridge 16" 609x on Jupiter. I could have put more magnification on but I did not have any more Barlows to do it with.

Nerotheroman

Reged: 03/02/13

Loc: Germany
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6254808 - 12/15/13 04:46 PM

In my area seeing conditions are most of the time pretty good.

When doing planetary observations with my 10" Dobson,
for Jupiter I tend to use magnifications between 120 and
Venus mostly 90-150 and Saturn usually 200-350.

The highest magnification I used so far was 350 on Saturn.
This night Saturn would have taken more than this I think,
but that is all I could offer
Unforgettable views! Details in the clouds, cassini division clearly visible and the whole planet showed a nice color tint.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Nerotheroman]
      #6254919 - 12/15/13 05:47 PM

Justin, it sounds like that 16" is a keeper to be sure.

Pete

contrailmaker
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

#6255052 - 12/15/13 07:18 PM

Conditions in the Arizona desert typically allow 200-260x and occasionally much higher.

My best so far has been about 600x on Jupiter with a 22" Dob in truly excellent seeing. The detail on the planet rivaled some of the processed pictures I have seen.

I topped at 535x on Jupiter and Saturn a few times with my old C8 when the atmosphere allowed with very good results.

One of my best view of Saturn so far has been with the Clark 24" refractor at Lowell observatory also at around 500x. I don't think pictures do Saturn justice, especially on ring detail.

CM

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: contrailmaker]
      #6255106 - 12/15/13 07:52 PM

I'm with Nero on this one, his magnifications seem optimal. Mars can take, and might even benefit from, a bit higher into the 400x range. Jupiter for me, much over 250x becomes dim and looses a lot of contrast. It's best around 25x (best) to 40x per inch (max) depending on conditions.

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6255139 - 12/15/13 08:09 PM

My best look at Jupiter came at 280x. It doesn't need much more than this to see it's features. Mars on the other hand let me throw 416x at it with good success back during it's last closest approach. Saturn I've done 416x in perfect seeing this year 5am on my birthday. The one and only time I've seen Enke division and 6 moons. What a birthday present.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: nirvanix]
      #6259504 - 12/18/13 06:26 AM

Although I am not new at observing DSO's, I am new at planetary observing. When you talk of 27x per aperture or plain 200x, what is the "X" and how do I find it for my 6. Inch refractor? I only do imaging now and would be using a Samsung 2000 camera. I also have a 2x and a 3x Barlow. Thanks.
Jim

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #6259562 - 12/18/13 07:41 AM

Quote:

Although I am not new at observing DSO's, I am new at planetary observing. When you talk of 27x per aperture or plain 200x, what is the "X" and how do I find it for my 6. Inch refractor? I only do imaging now and would be using a Samsung 2000 camera. I also have a 2x and a 3x Barlow. Thanks.
Jim

Magnification - visual - focal length of objective divided by focal length of eyepiece. Magnification - imaging - is essentially just the effective focal length of the scope (after any focal extenders / barlows / teleconverters / powermates are taken into account) though the pixel size also has an impact. Too much focal length, too faint an image so the seeing ruins it. I don't know the pixel size of your camera but you want to be working at somewhere around f/25 - f/30 to get max detail from most cameras. A bit less for Jupiter of Saturn because of the relative surface faintness.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Your best magnification on planets new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6259581 - 12/18/13 07:54 AM

For your 6", magnification of 27x per inch is 27 x 6 = 162 power or an object magnified 162 times. Similarly, 200x is a magnification of 200 times or a little over 30x per inch.

Brian was better able to relate the concept to photography. Determining magnification visually is dividing the eyepiece focal length into the objective focal length.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6482

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics