Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Yaar]
      #5721537 - 03/09/13 02:46 AM

fizzle?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Yaar]
      #5721624 - 03/09/13 04:28 AM

Its not really supprising that no-one is seeing anything - a case of pulling trigger far too early. E.g. last night Pan-STARRS would have been 1/2 degree above horizon at start of nautical twilight at 40 N

Tonight its 2 degrees at start of NT, day after is 4 degrees at NT, then 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 degrees on 15th March

Quote:

fizzle?

Certainly not - just everyone looking when its improbable to see.

I recon first observation below 40 N *might* be tonight - low probability. Better chance the day after - otherwise 12/13th will be much easier as very very thin moon is nearby

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Tonk]
      #5721636 - 03/09/13 04:49 AM

We are all jumping the gun but that's what we like to do. Since it only takes a few hrs of our time from start to finish, its pretty fun. Im going out tonight and tomorrow also, tonight because its going to be a clear new moon weekend, and Sunday night because I can still get home by 8pm. after that, we are getting a full week of cloudy weather so its now or never, or at least now till the following week when everything clears up again! Tonight its just across from Mars, so if you can find Mars, PannStarr should be right there.

...Ralph

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Tonk]
      #5721683 - 03/09/13 06:46 AM

Quote:

Its not really supprising that no-one is seeing anything - a case of pulling trigger far too early. E.g. last night Pan-STARRS would have been 1/2 degree above horizon at start of nautical twilight at 40 N

Tonight its 2 degrees at start of NT, day after is 4 degrees at NT, then 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 degrees on 15th March...

Tony, thanks for the info. I guess you meant the end of nautical twilight (when the center of the Sun is 12 below the western horizon), not the start?

By those calculations, for me the comet would have been 2.5 above the horizon at the end of NT and behind a mountain.

Bragging rights are a powerful motivator.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5721737 - 03/09/13 07:51 AM

Quote:

I guess you meant the end of nautical twilight

No - start - end of civil twilight if you like

pogrzex

Reged: 01/25/13

#5721738 - 03/09/13 07:51 AM

The comet is now visible to STEREO probe.

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: pogrzex]
      #5721740 - 03/09/13 07:57 AM

I was going to head back over to my good-western-horizon location last night, but enough cirrus clouds had settled in over the western horizon I knew there wasn't any point. The only really frustrating thing? There were no clouds on the horizon to the north, east and south.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: magic612]
      #5721846 - 03/09/13 09:17 AM

The local club is hosting a public/members event Tuesday evening when the comet will be beside the thin crescent moon. Location is beside a city reservoir with a nice flat western horizon. While I join in hopes that PANSTARRS will be a decent naked eye object, so far it's not looking that way. However, it should remain as a better than nothing at all telescopic target into April as it climbs out of the sun's gravity well and becomes circumpolar, with projected encounters with M31 and Polaris. It will be nice to have a fuzzball comet on those nights even though it will have probably shed most or all of its tail and be down into mag 4-6 range. That's still better than most comets.

PrestonE
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/29/05

Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5722268 - 03/09/13 12:49 PM

A friend and I looked from 6:45 till 7:20 with a couple of small clouds...nothing

Will be trying yet again tonight...guess what I saw last Monday was not the comet but a contrail.

Best Regards,

Preston

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: PrestonE]
      #5722317 - 03/09/13 01:15 PM

Someone on the Southern Stars Yahoo Group saw it last night using a C-11 scope. He found Mercury, and then did a short GoTo to the comet. He said he just saw the inner coma, maybe 20 arcsec across. Estimated brightness about 1.2. He said it was not an easy target.

He was in West Texas.

Edited by btschumy (03/09/13 01:17 PM)

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: btschumy]
      #5722502 - 03/09/13 03:38 PM

Quote:

Someone on the Southern Stars Yahoo Group saw it last night using a C-11 scope. He found Mercury, and then did a short GoTo to the comet...

Do you mean Mars?

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Tonk]
      #5722528 - 03/09/13 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess you meant the end of nautical twilight

No - start - end of civil twilight if you like

OK, that would put the Sun 6 below the horizon at 6:50 PM local and the comet far down behind the mountain 10 minutes before I even started looking.

According to your numbers, PanSTARRS will be 4 above the horizon at my location (38N) at the start of NT (6:48PM local this evening). Local sunset is 6:23PM so that tells me I'd better get out there and look much earlier than I anticipated.

I'm going to try and spot Mars and then key off of the Red Planet for PanSTARRS. The sky will be bright so I am not optimistic but it's clear today and that won't last.

Thanks again for the info.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5722574 - 03/09/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

Do you mean Mars?

Oops. Yes, Mars.

Special Ed
Postmaster

#5723083 - 03/09/13 10:18 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Thanks, Bill.

I struck out again tonight (Saturday). Our clear forecast went south and was replaced with plenty of high clouds. I tried anyway beginning 5 minutes after local sunset looking for a half hour with the 12x36's but could not see Mars or the comet. Saw plenty of contrails, though. Here's an example:

RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
      #5723085 - 03/09/13 10:21 PM

Tried this evening in as close to perfect conditions (40N, 75W) as I've ever had near the very low western horizon. Sun set around 6:02pm EST. Scanned appropriate area for nearly an hour - nothing but jet contrails (LOTS of them). Another guy pulled into the parking lot I was using and immediately assumed the brightest contrail was "that starry comet". I tried to explain about extinction due to altitude, likely appearance, etc - he just wasn't buying it.

So a big negative with naked eye and 7x50s this evening in NJ.

Grant

wfj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/10/08

Loc: California, Santa Cruz County
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: RedLionNJ]
      #5723093 - 03/09/13 10:27 PM

No luck for me either (37N 122W), but I arrived after sunset so didn't have a reference from the sun/moon to base a reference on. Perhaps tomorrow(sun).

aa6ww
professor emeritus

#5723113 - 03/09/13 10:44 PM

I'm still out with my 6" F5 Celestron observing in a straight thru configuration with my 26 nagler and again with my bogen tripod. At 6:50 pm I found PannStarr. It was very small, I would say maybe 20 arc minutes long with a very bright coma. It was maybe 3 deg above the horizon and the skies were not completely dark. I held my cell phone up to my eyepiece and took a very grainy off center photo of it through my eyepiece. It was barely visible in the photo but definately there. I'll edit this message later with the photo attached. I tried but could not.detect it with my 10x42 nikons, but I was.definitely running out of time because it quickly dipped behind some very low clouds. Mars was visible.to the right of PannStarr. The skies are to perfect to call it a night right now, but I do have a laptop with me and will try and edit the cheesy photo in a bit. Despite all of this, it was very cool to observe. I really don't think small.binos could detect it tonight.
This is being sent from my smartphone.

...Ralph in Sacramento (38 deg latitude)

RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: wfj]
      #5723114 - 03/09/13 10:47 PM

I had a western horizon almost as good as an ocean this evening, cloudless, hazeless skies - watched the sun set, Mars was just visible in the binos. Comet should have been about 7 degrees south and 2 degrees higher up - nothing astronomical visible in that area. Maybe tomorrow or Monday...

Grant

aa6ww
professor emeritus

#5723115 - 03/09/13 10:49 PM

I'm still out with my 6" F5 Celestron observing in a straight thru configuration with my 26 Nagler and again with my Bogen tripod. At 6:50 pm I found PannStarr. It was very small, I would say maybe 20 arc minutes long with a very bright coma. It was maybe 3 deg above the horizon and the skies were not completely dark. I held my cell phone up to my eyepiece and took a very grainy off center photo of it through my eyepiece. It was barely visible in the photo but definitely there. I'll edit this message later with the photo attached if its worth showing. I tried but could not detect it with my 10x42 Nikons, but I was.definitely running out of time because it quickly dipped behind some very low clouds. Mars was visible.to the right of PannStarr and not nearly as bright as PannStarr was, at least through a 6" refractor. The skies to are too perfect to call it a night right now, but I do have a laptop with me and will try and edit the cheesy photo in a bit. Despite all of this, it was very cool to observe. I really don't think small binos could detect it tonight.
This is being sent from my smartphone.

...Ralph in Sacramento (38 deg latitude)

Zebra24601
Postmaster

Reged: 10/09/05

Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA 91770
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5723198 - 03/09/13 11:47 PM

I thought I saw it, but am somewhat less confident now that all the negative reports have come in. It was about where it should have been, a short, very well-defined stub, sort of like I saw McNaught a few years back, but pointing hard to the south, a little before 10 o'clock on a clock face, relative to the horizon. Also, unlike a contrail, it set behind a hill rather than simply dissipating, fading, or blowing toward us with the wind.

Hard for me to judge size or brightness, because I couldn't see it with the naked eye and didn't have time to measure it relative to objects on the horizon. Saw it for only a few moments, within about fifteen minutes of the sun dropping behind the distant hills.

Anyway, I'll be trying again from the same spot tomorrow, so if it's clear, I'll know for sure then.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41492

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics