Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: Achernar]
      #5877149 - 05/21/13 11:22 PM

Some of you guys are getting terrific seeing!! Glad to read these reports.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: leviathan]
      #5877494 - 05/22/13 08:02 AM

I was using my 8" SCT. I have this one for 2 yrs. Last year when the rings were closed up more I could not make it out. Also I think my scope was a tad out of collimation too.

I have been observing Saturn on and off for 30 yrs. Mostly my sky is not that great and seeing is only good once in a while. I just got through obeserving Jupiter the last 6 mos. and was always trying to see the Red spot.

Going forward I'm going to tweak the scope as best I can and take it out at least an hour before I start. I'm looking forward to many more good nights on Saturn. My neighbors really get a kick out of seeing it.

Clear skies,

Bob

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: REC]
      #5877512 - 05/22/13 08:19 AM

So were you able to see GRS on Jupiter with that scope ? Have you checked collimation on a star ?

REC
Post Laureate

#5878129 - 05/22/13 02:04 PM

Just once in awhile. I was able to see some of those bars in some of the belts when they were available. Yes I have collimated it on a star and I'd say it's about 90% on. I get really sharp views on the moon and can resolve M13 on a good night...I think a lot of it is because of my location and not having very steady skies. My Clear Sky Chart rarely is better than 4/5 and most nights is 3/5. Thank goodness I do get 4/5 on transparency a lot.

leviathan
sage

#5879422 - 05/23/13 12:45 AM

I had a nice seeing about 9/10 yesterday. With my 8" I was able to resolve 2 and 3 km craters inside of Gassendi crater on Moon, which was close to Saturn on sky, and easily Nu Scorpii double, which is 1,3" if I'm not wrong. As a result Saturn was very sharp even on 444x. Encke's minimum was obvious from a first look on 307x, 4 moons were visible, shadow of rings on planet and of planet on rings, several color belts and dark polar cap on disk.

Not my best "Saturn night" this season, but definitely 2'nd or 3'rd. As a result in the morning Caspian Sea was looking like a lake finally, which in fact it is - not even a single wave.

REC
Post Laureate

#5879824 - 05/23/13 09:26 AM

Wow 444x from your 8" ? You must have some night to resolve all that!

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5881344 - 05/23/13 11:24 PM

Yesterday the seeing got to about a 6/10 and Saturn showed Cassini 2/3 of the way around, Encke minimum at times, crepe ring and Four moons. I was using my D&G 5" F12 achro. My 6" Jaegers is in my scope room awaiting paint outgassing and a couple other odds and ends. It does show more detail than the D&G 5". Love the refractors right now, no real problems with tube currents.

leviathan
sage

#5881654 - 05/24/13 06:10 AM

Quote:

Wow 444x from your 8" ? You must have some night to resolve all that!

Yeah: good seeing, good optics of telescope, equatorial mount, decent eyepiece, dielectric diagonal, thermal equilibrium, perfect collimation and Saturn at 38 degrees.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #5884986 - 05/26/13 01:15 AM

Highest magnification 5/25/13 was 275 power. The relative humidity was at 90%.

I did spy the disk's shadow cast on the ring. A thin sliver. Wow.

So what might be the typical relative humidity in Azerbaijan. I figure your altitude is quite high.

leviathan
sage

Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: Kraus]
      #5885630 - 05/26/13 01:35 PM

I live and observe mostly from Baku, altitude here is even lower that the level of the ocean (-27 m). Humidity is high, quite often 80-90% - makes me sweat in summer and my SCT's corrector plate almost half of observations.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5886751 - 05/27/13 10:00 AM

I won't drone on anymore about the bad seeing where I live but Ill add a few Saturn notes.

Seeing 4/10 Pickering
Transp: slight high altitude haze
Wind: calm

At 4/10 Seeing the image is quite simple but a few things stood out at times:

-My Televue Plossls definately lend Saturn a warmer tone than my Baader Classic Orthos though both a quite sharp.
- a yellow Wratten 15 did a very nice job with Cassinis while W80a reduced irradiation to a degree but clearly wasn't as beneficial as yellow.
- bi tone aspect of rings clear while the Crepe was difficult at best. Better seeing has it obvious.
- Cassinis only at the ansae - again the seeing.
-Shadow cast by rings was often invisible due to image softening of 4/10

The Baader Orthos are doing very well and Im pleased even if the sky was poor.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (05/27/13 10:01 AM)

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5886973 - 05/27/13 12:02 PM

Last night turned out to be pretty good. At first Saturn was just ok, but was a little jittery. I thought that maybe is was the drive motors causing it? I went and checked out M13 and it was resolving stars and not jumping. Check out a few more DSO's and went back to Saturn about 10 pm. It had calmed down better and was seeing CD at 160x. That is about all I can push it on most nights. Well I then inserted my 11mm ES and bang, there it was at 200x. The CD was fading in and out, but I still could see it. Also could make out some banding on the planet.

I must say, Saturn at 200x is really a nice size to observe with. Maybe some night I can use my 9mm EP for 240x which I have read is the sweet spot for this scope:)

Bob

leviathan
sage

#5887000 - 05/27/13 12:21 PM

Yes, Saturn "likes" high magnification. I found myself watching disk of the planet on 140-200x and rings on as high as 444x.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5887078 - 05/27/13 01:04 PM

Bob,

Yes it was jittery wasnt it. I could see how you might think it was a drive issue. Hopefully the great seeing you had down in NC will make it up here to night?

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5888222 - 05/28/13 12:46 AM

Much better Saturn tonight...

Transparency was lousy but seeing averaged to 6/10 though began at 4/10 and my threshold for at least a fair view is Pickering 6 so I had a good time. Ill be providing a finished sketch tomorrow, but Ill hit a few highlights...

1. The boundary layer fan yielded a tighter Titan than Id ever seen at this seeing level ever. It was still soft edged but it wasn't wildly flairing which was the non-fanned typical view. I've never seen it so clean for such blah seeing. Its these little micro orbs like Titan and the Galilean moons that show the effect best of boundary layer fan application.

2. Enceladus wavered in and out of view and in lesser transparency - not bad. I half heartedly looked for Mimas to no avail of course.

3. A night like this brings home how extraudinarily seeing Enckes would be.
I have doubts even in 9-10 seeing. That high res CCD images through CN 8" can't reveal Enckes Division either doesn't bode well for my future attempts.

4. My binoviewers were great but since *low power* is 350x I stuck with mono at 200x-250x. Wratten15 again was excellent on the rings.

Oddly the 6/10 seeing came about over the course of 15 minutes and then held until I called it quits. Not the best view of Satutn Ive ever had to be sure but it was rewarding and profitable.

Sketch posted tomorrow.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (05/28/13 12:47 AM)

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

#5888243 - 05/28/13 01:13 AM

Yes, even semi-decent seeing is better than nothing--I'll spend up to an hour on Saturn in those conditions, hoping for that one brief moment that might or might not come, and taking in what I can in the meantime. I had a similar outing last night with my 8-inch f/6.

-geo

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: george golitzin]
      #5888448 - 05/28/13 07:37 AM

Hi Geo,

Six Pickering for me while not great and it doesn't allow really high mags does though allow an acceptable level of detail coming through. At 4/10 it would r been the most bland Saturn and Cassinis only at the far ansae. These are the good seeing months now do I shouldn't have posted my *garbage seeing* post but after a long winter of that with the jetstream - argh already.

Pete

REC
Post Laureate

#5888543 - 05/28/13 09:13 AM

Had another great view of it last night! I even called my neighbor up to come see. Views at 160-200x were pretty steady. Even some of the globs I looked at were fun at this magnification.

Still can't see *BLEEP* of M51, just two blobs of light and it was straight up! Oh well, the moon cycle is over for now and maybe I'll get a 4/5 on transparency one night. In the mean time I'll just keep looking at Saturn. It is in a prime spot in my backyard after 9pm.

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
      #5889927 - 05/28/13 10:49 PM

Bob

You are very lucky to be ale to see 6 moons. From my red zone backyard I cannot. Hopefully I'll be able from a green zone in june.

Andre

leviathan
sage

Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: Andrev]
      #5890105 - 05/29/13 01:10 AM

Quote:

Bob

You are very lucky to be ale to see 6 moons. From my red zone backyard I cannot. Hopefully I'll be able from a green zone in june.

Andre

Me too. From heavily polluted city I can see only 4 moons in my 8".

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3742

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics