Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: Robert Cook]
      #6043101 - 08/24/13 07:39 AM

So its fairly safe to say Galilleo was the first telescopic observer of Neptune? Even if he didn't kno it was what it was.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #6043287 - 08/24/13 10:18 AM

Quote:

By the way, Galileo did take note of Neptune while observing Jupiter (there was a close conjunction at the time)

Galileo constructed (100?) and used (10?) a number of telescopes during his lifetime ... so, I'm not sure if anyone really knows which one he used for this observation. However, he usually observed the night sky using a magnification of 10X-20X with an objective lens stopped-down to a diameter of one-half to 1 inch.

I've observed Neptune using my 8x25 Canon IS binoculars on several occasions and it was very easily seen. Even considering the poor optical quality of Galileo's telescopes, his observation of Neptune should have presented no difficulties for him.

Robert Cook
sage

Reged: 07/23/09

Loc: San Diego County, California
Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6043747 - 08/24/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

So its fairly safe to say Galilleo was the first telescopic observer of Neptune? Even if he didn't kno it was what it was.

Galileo is currently the earliest known observer of Neptune (as a "star"), as opposed to discoverer, based on his records. It is possible that others had also observed Neptune during those early years, particularly while it was in conjunction with Jupiter, but we'll probably never know. So yes, I suppose it's fairly safe to make the claim.

By the way, I wonder how many people had observed Uranus prior to its discovery as a planet. The earliest known recorded observation was in 1690 by John Flamsteed, who cataloged it as a star in Taurus--this was well after Galileo first recorded his observation of far dimmer Neptune in late 1612. Undoubtedly many people had observed Uranus earlier, probably even in antiquity, since it is visible to the naked eye under a half-decent sky. The "ice giants" proved to be pretty stealthy as planets.

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #6045801 - 08/25/13 07:34 PM

Interesting enough the night of jan 4th, 1613 Jupiter actually occulted Neptune. it would have been interesting if Galileo observed that event.

Lentini

Reged: 06/18/12

Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6090118 - 09/19/13 02:56 PM

I found Neptune the other night, star-hopping all the way from the square of Pegasus. I was at about 90X using my 12.5" Obsession, so it was very star-like. I found I was unable to identify it using Sky Atlas 2000... Too many unplotted candidates in the area. Using the Great Atlas of the Sky, I could really narrow down the zone, but again - Not enough detail to really confirm which "star" was Neptune.

So I ended up using Sky Safari Pro on my iPhone. I was able to zoom in and match patterns of much dimmer stars to what I was seeing in the eyepiece. One nice feature of Sky Safari Pro is how the dimmer stars appear/disappear according to how zoomed in you are. That allowed me to use it to do rough star-hopping, but then also to narrow in and really be sure.

Another obvious advantage over the printed maps is the fact that Sky Safari plots the current location of Neptune (and positions of moons, if that's pertinent).

Gil V
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: Lentini]
      #6090137 - 09/19/13 03:09 PM

Using Nexus and Sky Safari, I found Neptune in about a minute. Just a wee disk, is all.

Edited by Gil V (09/19/13 03:10 PM)

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6090388 - 09/19/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

Interesting enough the night of jan 4th, 1613 Jupiter actually occulted Neptune. it would have been interesting if Galileo observed that event.

He might have. Seems to me I read that he actually recorded Neptune several times in drawings of star fields. Or was that Uranus? Or some other guy?...
Well, someone did something sometime, and Neptune was involved; I know that much for sure.

Now it's time for my nap.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6107902 - 09/29/13 05:22 PM

I couldn't find Neptune last night, I may have had it in the field of view but I didn't pick it out of the star field. Uranus was easier to find.
Barry

SporQ

Reged: 09/03/13

Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: bherv]
      #6108396 - 09/29/13 10:59 PM

Hello,

I just came in from a viewing session with Neptune with my CPC 1100. Conditions were very good but not ideal and I was able to do some fine collimation at 560x at the beginning of the session. GoTo found it right away and I was able to view at 280x with my 10mm Ethos. Disk shape with some color change and I swear I caught ghosts of Triton in averted glances at times. I can't confirm it, though Sky Safari did have it in a similar spot. This was the longest I've ever observed him and I enjoyed it very much.

caheaton
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: SporQ]
      #6118935 - 10/05/13 12:13 PM

On the morning of 9/29 I observed Neptune using the 4" F/6. At 96x Neptune presents a clear (albeit very tiny) disk that is clearly not a star. With the 25mm Plossl (24x), it looked very starlike, except for the beautiful blue color that set it apart from typical stars...the blue is a bit richer than I've ever observed in any star and it helped the planet stand out from the other stars in the field of view.
(Though I did cheat a bit getting there...I used a goto mount ).

Uranus is my favorite of the two outer planets...beautiful greenish tint.

yesplease

Reged: 09/28/13

Re: Where's Neptune??!! new [Re: Alein 1630]
      #6130046 - 10/10/13 10:27 PM

Quote:

This morning I attempted to find Neptune I used the article in astronomy to help me along with my pocket sky atlas. I got the triangle of 42, 38 Aquarii & Iota Aquarii in my finder, than went to sigma Aquarii. Using astronomy's finder chart I looked between those two 7th magnitude stars at 33x and 67x in my 8" Dobsonian. I know it's small so I looked for a unfocused "star". Couldn't find it......help, tips

If you can find Deneb algiedi and nashire, they basically point to it. It is dead left of them in a cubby of medium stars, with Ancha inclosing it at the top. A cool trick to find planets is to use a 120-160x eyepiece and purposely put your telescope out of focus, because the planets are always brighter and bigger out of focus than a star.

dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1936

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics