Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: David Gray]
      #6114747 - 10/03/13 09:12 AM

As I recall, Walter in his later years finally had a cornea transplant and upon receiving the new lens, the yellow was gone. It was that or a cataract but at anyrate he noticed that greenish stars turned back to blue.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (10/03/13 12:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6114787 - 10/03/13 09:38 AM

Yes that's right!! Thanks for refreshing my memory.

All sorts keep coming to mind lately from those old S&Ts: keep meaning to get them (100s/jumbled ) back in proper sequence and go through them!

Cheers,
Dave.

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#6114992 - 10/03/13 11:45 AM

Very fine observing reports and sketches Pete, you recorded some nice detail,

Best,

Eric

Jon_Doh
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/16/11

Loc: On a receiver's back
      #6118734 - 10/05/13 10:07 AM

Finally got a good view of Uranus last night. With an ES 6.7 82 deg eyepiece it looked a lot like the picture in David's post, except that it was a bit more gray and less blue. I stayed at the eyepiece for a long time enjoying the view and then trying it with an 11mm, the 11 with a barlow and the 6.7 with a barlow (too dim and fuzzy). Was just simply amazing.

Next, I slewed over to Neptune and there it was too. Much smaller than Uranus even at high magnification, but still a sight to behold - for me since I had never seen it anything more than a pinpoint. It was sitting there as a solid round little disk.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: Jon_Doh]
      #6119003 - 10/05/13 12:49 PM

Hi Jon,

Nice report. You might want to try the Galilean moons next when Jupiter rises to height at an hour you agree with. Even in mediocre seeing every moon subtends a discrete disc at 200x or more and 350x is superb. The latter magnification from my experience needs 7/10 or better seeing. Pretty rare last winter. Titan's another one that subtends a true disc . When the seeing complies 8" can go way down to extremely minute orbs.

I enjoyed your account Jon.

Pete

Jon_Doh
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/16/11

Loc: On a receiver's back
      #6120219 - 10/06/13 09:09 AM

Thanks Pete.

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: Jon_Doh]
      #6125245 - 10/08/13 03:44 PM

Saturday night 10-5-2013, I had a nice view of the Planet Uranus with my C14. The seeing conditions were perfect at 5/5, and transparency also. I was out at a small town near where I live, in Wilton Calif. Its in the Orange zone. At about 435x with my 9mm Nagler, I noticed two small moons above the planet in the 11 o clock and 1 o clock position from Uranus. At 558x, using my 7mm Nagler, a few more very tiny moons were starting to come through, even closer to the planet than these two, but they were in and out and in the glow of Uranus. I don't recall the names of these moons. Later on, I checked and Stellarium was showing the first two moons as Oberon to the right, and Titania to the left. One was at mag 14.93, the other at 14.63. I don't recall the names of the other moons but they were in the 15.6 mag range. I was impressed I was able to see glimpses of these dimmer moons but again, they were in and out and I really had to look at them with a dark cloth over my head to really concentrate on what i was seeing.
The planet itself was spectacular. One of my friends said he had never seen the planet so large and vivid ever.
One of the web sites, i think it was Astrobob, was stating that Oberon and Titania were going to be visible this weekend, because Uranus was at opposition from Earth at this time. It seemed to be a very casual comment. In reality, even these moons were very difficult to see. My other observing friends didn't even attempt to locate Uranus to see if they could see the moons in their C11's, C8's, and one with a large 8" ISTAR refractor.
I wonder what the smallest scopes people use to detect these two moons, and if so, what type of darkness conditions were you observing in to detect such tiny dim objects.
Are these moons about as dim and small in the eyepiece as the Planet Pluto, which is in the 14mag range?
Has anyone ever compared Pluto to these moons and if so, are the views similar?
Ive never recognized Pluto but its in a good part of the sky now for me to look for now.

...Ralph in Sacramento

Edited by aa6ww (10/08/13 07:15 PM)

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6125443 - 10/08/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

I wonder what the smallest scopes people use to detect these two planets, and if so, what type of darkness conditions were you observing in to detect such tiny dim objects.

With mag. 6.2 skies (significant suburban light pollution) Uranus & Neptune are both visible with minimal optical aid, like 4x20 binoculars. (Colourless starlike points, obviously!) With slightly better skies Uranus should be a fairly easy naked eye object. I could probably see it from home if it was at the zenith instead of not even halfway up the sky when on the meridian.

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6125689 - 10/08/13 07:14 PM

Sorry, I had a slight error in what I meant to say. I meant to say "I wonder what the smallest scope people have used to detect these two small moons, on the Planet Uranus, and also how dark are the skies used to see them both. I've corrected that error in my original question.

...Ralph

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder what the smallest scopes people use to detect these two planets, and if so, what type of darkness conditions were you observing in to detect such tiny dim objects.

With mag. 6.2 skies (significant suburban light pollution) Uranus & Neptune are both visible with minimal optical aid, like 4x20 binoculars. (Colourless starlike points, obviously!) With slightly better skies Uranus should be a fairly easy naked eye object. I could probably see it from home if it was at the zenith instead of not even halfway up the sky when on the meridian.

brianb11213
Postmaster

#6126364 - 10/09/13 05:04 AM

Quote:

I meant to say "I wonder what the smallest scope people have used to detect these two small moons, on the Planet Uranus, and also how dark are the skies used to see them both.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I've seen four moons of Uranus with 11" SCT. Titania & Oberon were pretty unmissable, Ariel & Umbriel difficult, Miranda invisible. Transparency is obviously important but a really dark sky isn't as the planet itself contributes sufficient glare to affect dark adaptation. The best power to use is probably around 20x per inch of aperture - enough to dilute the sky brightness but not enough to bloat starlike points into diffraction patterns. With larger apertures, reasonably steady seeing is also required.

As to "how much aperture is necessary" - to quote from T W Webb, "Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes":

"Ward has glimpsed the two outer moons, Oberon and Titania, with a 4.3" Wray achr, as Huggins has with 8" achr, and Sadler with a 6.5" mirror. My less acute eye has caught one with 9.3" speculum. Marth has found their visibility not affected by moonlight."

The 19th century observers were of course blessed with skies which were generally much darker than those we have today but this would be offset to a considerable extent by the extra transmission of modern scopes (multicoated lenses and more efficient mirrors: speculum metal mirrors would be only about 50% efficient even when freshly polished!)

Similarly regarding Neptune's moon Triton:

"... held by Dawes with 8" achr, no common telescope of course would touch: though Ward has glimpsed it with a 4.3" achr".

Pluto is of course omitted from the text (discovery over 70 years after the publication of the first edition). It's harder to find than Uranus's moons but probably easier to see as there's (usually) no distracting bright object in the field. This assumes similar observing conditions, but the issue with Pluto for those of us in the northern hemisphere is that Pluto is lurking fairly deep in the southern hemisphere (and will remain there for several decades) so atmospheric absorbtion and poor seeing interfere significantly.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#6126766 - 10/09/13 11:03 AM

Inspired by this thread, I found Uranus tonight for the first time this season. At around 130x in my 7in. scope, in an area of sky with a ton of light pollution (virtually no stars at all visible to the naked eye) it looked like a pale bluish little disk. No moons were visible at that mag as far as I could tell, I believe a nearby object north of it was a star. I tried to jump it up to around 250x, but the seeing and also the horrible light pollution level just couldn't support the view, I couldn'd find the planete again and that was that. But it was exhilarating while it lasted.

It is said that light pollution doesnt matter for looking at the moon, Jupiter, Mars, the bright objects... but would I be right to say that for the dimmer planets it most definitely does affect the view?

brianb11213
Postmaster

Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: mark8888]
      #6126802 - 10/09/13 11:27 AM

Quote:

It is said that light pollution doesnt matter for looking at the moon, Jupiter, Mars, the bright objects... but would I be right to say that for the dimmer planets it most definitely does affect the view?

I would say that having Uranus in the field of view of my 11" SCT reduces the magnitude limit I am able to reach by around 1.5 ... similar to the moon a couple of days either side of full, for a "dark field" object. Really severe light pollution is of course going to have an effect. But then so does slightly inaccurate focus, poor seeing, ... and most of all the observer's experience in viewing objects close to the visual limit. A couple of years experience observing variable stars improved my threshold by around 1.5 magnitudes.

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

#6127435 - 10/09/13 04:58 PM

Pete, nice post and sketches--and a very nice catch of Triton in an 8-inch. I've seen it in 10 inches, but never tried 8--I'm kind of lazy that way .

-geo

SabiaJD
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: Clarks Summit, PA
      #6128657 - 10/10/13 09:45 AM

Ralph,

A good read of your observations of the moons Oberon and Titania with the C-14.

Had my first chance to look for these moon with a RC20 f/8.1 on October 2, 2013 at 11:15 EDT. Low humidity and dark sky conditions.

With a 12mm (342x) the moon were just visible, very evident with the increase of magnification to 424x and then 857x.

Uranus showed a pale white center with greenish outer rim around the edges. Not expecting to see any surface on that distant planet.

The moons were at 2 and 8 position with respect of the planet Uranus. Identified them later with software Guide V8. Four of my friends were observing that night with their scopes had a chance to see these moons. Titania proved a be the more difficult to see for them. Both of the moons were around 28 arc seconds from the center of the planet on opposite sides according to the software Guide 8.

About 20 minutes later we viewed Neptune at the same magnifications and found Triton a much easier target 15 arc seconds in the 9 o'clock position from Neptune. It's position also verified later with Guide 8.

A thin veil of clouds prevented see these moons again on October 8, 2013.
Will try to show these to some of the college students taking the astronomy course at the next chance. They usually get to view these planets at low magnification.

John D Sabia

yesplease

Reged: 09/28/13

#6129303 - 10/10/13 03:08 PM

I'm almost positive I saw Titania Mag(13.5) on Friday and last night with my 5 inch apo. The conditions were perfect, though. I'm going to keep looking and see if I cant see it on the other side again. Both Oberon and Titania should be on the other side on the 11-12 of oct. Last night Jupiter was crystal clear at 317x, just to give an idea of how good the conditions were here.

Good info
http://www.universetoday.com/105064/uranus-a-guide-to-its-2013-opposition/

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: yesplease]
      #6130297 - 10/11/13 01:17 AM

Pete,
I think your color rendition of Neptune and Uranus is very much what I see. I don't have the experience of some in this thread with these planets, I usually observe them close to opposition and that's about it. But, I have been observing them since the mid 70's with 10" aperture and your drawings are captivatingly close to what I see.

Concerning color perception, I'm curious what you, or David Grey think of this online color test. I found it to be quite challenging, and after taking it I have a better idea of which colors are easier for me to distinguish subtle differences between and which are more difficult. Are tests like this informative, or bogus do you think?

David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: Astrodj]
      #6130477 - 10/11/13 07:19 AM

"David Grey" - Who He

Scored 17/99 (0 perfect): perhaps work on your greys

Have to wonder about monitor fidelity tho' and Internet similarly.

Regards,
David (Gray).

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6130684 - 10/11/13 10:00 AM

The test - lol - it annoyed me and I never completed it. All these nauseating shades of yuck. When I did try it again it was on my iphone and it didn't respond to my touch screen so I left it there.

Dave GrAy makes a good point (I too used the E come to think of it) - my iPhone is different than my laptop or pad - infact all three are slightly different. I think the absolute worst color shifts was back in the days of the fat bulky CRT screens - there was a whole host of issues there and when the even started to smell old age the colors and contrast bellied up. A new one wasn't bad but they varied still and again died early.

I'm glad you like the renderings I did - I know if I observed from a dark site that Neptune would have more teal though Im uncertain if Uranus would have changed. I would like to once and for all get 9/10 seeing or better with these two but with winter on its way the jetstream is starting to sag back down over here and that makes these two particularly vulnerable to its softening effects. Well last year at least I had 7/10 right up to the last week of November so I could luck out but it gets slim as the weeks pass.

Glad you liked my work.

Pete

Astrodj
professor emeritus

#6131236 - 10/11/13 02:15 PM

Quote:

"David Grey" - Who He

Scored 17/99 (0 perfect): perhaps work on your greys

Have to wonder about monitor fidelity tho' and Internet similarly.

Regards,
David (Gray).

David Gray,

Please pardon my gaff, I claim exhaustion as an excuse. I'm usually very cognizant of such matters so you got me this time.

Not bragging or anything since I too wonder about monitor/screen differences, but I had a perfect score on the test (one of the reasons I wondered!). It did try my patience though. I had the most difficulty with subtle shades of the magenta/heliotrope color. I was surprised when I scored perfect as I was pretty certain I had botched some of those.

Thanks for weighing in, I value your input greatly on observing subtle planetary detail and have learned a lot from your many posts in the past.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

#6131292 - 10/11/13 02:42 PM

Pete,

LOL, I almost quit the test a couple of times myself as it seemed monotonous.

I have always been able to "see" very well, but I have zero talent when it comes to drawing or sketching so I admire the talented drawings I see on this forum and yours are always great. I really do appreciate what you and others achieve with various media. It is the next best thing to being able to do it myself.

I need to observe Uranus and Neptune more often. I had a very good night with Neptune last year at opposition. I was testing out a new EQ platform with magnifications of up to 600x. Once I fine tuned it a bit I settled in and observed it for a few hours at 300x and below as that was where the seeing dictated I should be. I thoroughly enjoyed myself that night. I did not discern any detail or limb darkening, nor did I glimpse anything I thought might be Triton, so I still have goals to achieve. I distinctly recall it's coloration as grey (spelling intended ), with a dark, pastel blue undertone. I can still see it clearly in my minds eye. Your drawing catches the color I saw perfectly (red zone/10" dob).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2641

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics