Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
djeber2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/02/04

Loc: Cloudy Midwest
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #6223601 - 11/29/13 03:05 PM

This morning I observed Comet Lovejoy again using 15x70 binocs. This was my first clear opportunity in about a week or so. Observed for 25-30 minutes until the wind and cold sent me back inside.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
djeber2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/02/04

Loc: Cloudy Midwest
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: djeber2]
      #6226536 - 12/01/13 08:44 AM

I observed Comet C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) again this morning from my suburban backyard at approximately 5:50 a.m. EST (10:50 UT) using 15x70 binoculars hand held. This was my 7th or 8th observation of this comet.

Jim T

Reged: 12/15/10

Loc: MO
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: djeber2]
      #6226569 - 12/01/13 09:15 AM Attachment (34 downloads)

Lovejoy is still putting on a very nice show, as my sketch from this morning shows. The departure of the Moon from AM skies will make it sweeter.

Aquarellia
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Provence, France
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Jim T]
      #6226836 - 12/01/13 11:40 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Oh yes Jim, a very nice show !
I like the atmosphere of you small sketch.
It was the 8th observation I made of Lovejoy, it's always a gift!
Here join my last sketch, this morning it was the first time that I can detect some (very light) difference in color between the tail and the coma and also the first time that I can see details in the coma, around the nucleus.
- Left the binocular view (10x50) a tail of around 3
- Right a refractor 102/1000 view with 10, 26 and 40mm EP
Clear sky to you all !

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Aquarellia]
      #6227185 - 12/01/13 02:09 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Jim T and Michel--very nice observational sketches.

I too got up early this morning to catch this view of Comet Lovejoy. Skies were dark and clear with no moonlight so I was able to see the comet with the unaided eye directly once the comet cleared the trees to my NE. It was an easy find ~1.5 NW of Beta Bootis with binoculars. I was glad it wasn't further south near Spica because the zodiacal light was very bright around there.

I looked at Lovejoy with my 12x36 binoculars and at 15x with the 108mm reflector before I made the sketch. I did a quick and dirty mag estimate with the 12x36's using the defocused star method and nearby 40 Bootis (mag 5.6) as the comp star. Lovejoy was significantly brighter than 40 Bootis.

The coma was well condensed and the tail was visible at low power for over 3 flowing to the NW. It appeared to have a greenish hue at 12x and 15x which went away at 29x. The tail was much brighter closer to the coma and dropped of in an uneven manner with the eastern side persisting a little farther.

This is a pleasing comet to view because of its "classic" appearance with head and tail rather than a fuzzy blob.

Lovejoy appeared to travel ~10 arcmins to the NE during the half hour I was sketching it. While I was observing, 4 different satellites went through the FOV of the binoculars or the reflector including a pair in the binocular FOV that actually crossed paths. Good thing they were at different altitudes.

Conditions were cold--20F/-7C--which added a level of difficulty to the exercise since I needed to work fast. As soon as twilight and the thin crescent Moon began to arrive, detail immediately started to wash out but I was done with the sketch by then.

This is my second view and first sketch of Comet Lovejoy--hope I get to see it some more.

Edited by Special Ed (12/02/13 10:38 AM)

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6228258 - 12/02/13 12:45 AM

I caught a view of Lovejoy in my 10in SCT on Saturday morning. Beautiful, very bright. I didn't do a sketch however This comet is sure putting on a show.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #6228359 - 12/02/13 03:17 AM

I saw Comet Lovejoy again on Saturday morning. Since I can no longer observe it from my backyard, I had to walk a few hundred feet down the street armed with Celestron Ultima 10x50s. The transparency was poor. I could discern the comet's coma but just barely.

Dave Mitsky

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6228551 - 12/02/13 08:17 AM

I agree with Special Ed that the classic comet appearance was nice to see. This was with an ED 80 and a 20mm eyepiece, the tail just made it across the entire field of view. Nice green color in and around the coma. It was just naked eye near Beta Bootis. This is from a dark location about 100 miles from Phoenix.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

strdst
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: Oregon Territory
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6239430 - 12/07/13 04:36 PM

Is there a star chart with the Lovejoy path available through December? I finally have a shot with a clear morning predicted (0 f.) and I am hoping to find the comet fast as I'm not real big on, nor well prepared for cold temps. I'll be much more inclined to set up a telescope if I have a pretty good idea of where to look. Last I heard it was in Bootes and bookin' fast. The charts I've seen were for Oct. and Nov. A link to something more current would be much appreciated!

Thank you

other keith

goodricke1

Reged: 05/18/13

Loc: Ireland
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: strdst]
      #6239705 - 12/07/13 06:59 PM

Quote:

Is there a star chart with the Lovejoy path available through December?

Well here's one for the next few days...

http://freestarcharts.com/index.php/latest-bright-comets/19-news-and-current-...

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: goodricke1]
      #6239809 - 12/07/13 08:27 PM

Here's a chart for Lovejoy through December:

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2013_R1.pdf

strdst
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: Oregon Territory
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6240051 - 12/07/13 11:36 PM

goodricke 1 and Special Ed...

Thank you both!

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #6240379 - 12/08/13 08:29 AM

I caught Lovejoy this morning 90-60 mins before sunrise in 7x50 binos and 108mm f/4 Newt at 22x. Head is well formed, and the tail extends at least 1 degree. I sensed a bluish-green color. I was fussing too much with gear to see if I could catch it with the naked eye. Lovejoy is a lovely sight, and nice to compare with nearby M13.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: hottr6]
      #6240432 - 12/08/13 09:27 AM

Up here at 54 north I've been able to observe Lovejoy for 3 hours after sunset and then again for 3 hours in the morning before twlight - its still get fairly high up. Technically it was circumpolar until few dayas ago but it skirts very very low to the horizon when directly north.

Just nice to have two big bites per night.

Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: Tonk]
      #6248402 - 12/12/13 07:12 AM

**FINALLY** saw C/2013 R1 Lovejoy after weeks and weeks of cold, never-ending cloudiness rolling off of Lake Erie, all the while seeing all the pictures on Spaceweather.com, not...that...I'm...**BITTER** or anything.

I didn't have access to the darker skies I would have preferred to have off to my south. So the best I could do was find a spot that didn't have much towards the ENE:

Dec. 12.45 UTC, m1 = 5.3, Dia = 8', DC = 7, Tail = 1.2-deg in PA 345 w/15x70 binoculars.

Location: Deer Creek Resevoir, about 5 miles north of Alliance, OH.

First 30' of the tail has high-surface brightness, and would probably have been visible under suburban skies.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #6250483 - 12/13/13 09:05 AM

Glad you got to see Lovejoy, Phillip.

I made my third observation of the comet this morning using my 12x36 image stabilized binoculars. I had planned to use the scope, too, but the lock on the door to my observatory was frozen and with the start of twilight not far off I didn't want to take the time it would require to thaw it out.

Conditions were clear and cold--seeing 4/10 Pickering; transparency 5/6; no moon; temperature 17F (-8C). The comet's altitude was 26 at the time of my observation.

Lovejoy was an easy find with the binoculars ~6 south of M13 and ~2 SW of Zeta Herc. The tail extended ~2.5 at a PA of ~345 and I had a hint of more tail trailing out another degree or so.

I compared the comet's brightness to M13 (mag 5.7), Xi Coronae Borealis (mag 4.8), and Upsilon Coronae Borealis (mag 5.8) using the defocused star method. It appeared a little brighter than M13 to me and the coma appeared close to the size of M13. Lovejoy has dimmed since my last observation a couple of weeks ago. I could not detect it with the unaided eye (but I don't have very good eyes).

13 Dec. 2013 1105 UT m1= 5.4 DC= 7 Dia= ~15-20 arcmins

Forgot to mention I saw two Geminids in the area of the Keystone and watched a northbound satellite pass right by Lovejoy--all inside of 10 minutes.

Edited by Special Ed (12/13/13 01:02 PM)

krp
Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

Reged: 11/10/10

Loc: Central Illinois
      #6258965 - 12/17/13 09:01 PM

According to Spaceweather.com the tail is now 20 degrees long and will grow even longer after perihelion. What are the chances of the brightness increasing as well? Are there any updated light curve predictions?

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: krp]
      #6259006 - 12/17/13 09:27 PM

Brighteness is now beginning to decreasing as the comet's distance from earth grows

Scroll to bottom for mag trend graph

http://aerith.net/comet/catalog/2013R1/2013R1.html

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations O new [Re: Tonk]
      #6259222 - 12/17/13 11:24 PM

Has anybody noticed that the Minor Planet Center is still listing C/2012 S1 (ISON) as being at mag 6.1? I think they programmed the ephemeris into their system long ago and all the updates are automatic.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15260

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics