Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Wes Stone

Reged: 05/20/03

Loc: Chiloquin, OR
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Wes Stone]
      #6160814 - 10/27/13 02:08 PM

Finally got my sketches from October 15 posted.

Quote:

I observed these three comets between moonset and twilight on the morning of October 15.

I went for C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) first, as it was in a more transparent area of the sky. It was a quick and easy starhop from Delta Monocerotis, and obvious in my 10" Dob at all powers. Lovejoy seemed a bit less condensed (DC=3 with a very faint stellar nucleus) than it did 10 days ago. There was a parabolic inner coma about 1.5' across, brighter on the edges and spreading into a short, broad fan in PA~300. This was surrounded by a large, diffuse halo that was round and about 5' in diameter as seen through the 10" Dob. I estimated Lovejoy's magnitude at 10.0.

Sketch of Lovejoy: http://skytour.homestead.com/files/C2013R1-131015.jpg

Quote:

Comet 2P/Encke ...
In the 10" Dob at 47x, Encke showed a small central condensation near the western edge of a slightly lopsided coma. Several faint jets curved out to form a fan to the east, including a central spine about 7' long in PA~80. The longer I looked, the more prominent the jets appeared against the faint glow of the coma.

Sketch of Encke: http://skytour.homestead.com/files/2P-131015.jpg

Quote:

C/2012 S1 (ISON) ... After a starhop from Mars, I found the comet in a sparse telescopic star field. The comet was near the center of a misshapen pentagon of 10th-magnitude stars. ISON has grown and brightened in the past 10 days, and this morning I was able to see a stellar nucleus for the first time. At 47x, I estimated the coma diameter as 4' and the tail length as 10' centered in PA 290. Coma magnitude was 10.0. At 165x, the tail was brighter along the central spine and on its southern edge.

Sketch of ISON: http://skytour.homestead.com/files/c2012s1-131015.jpg

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR
http://skytour.homestead.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Wes Stone]
      #6161199 - 10/27/13 06:11 PM

I managed to spot ISON visually with my C8 this morning from my semi-rural observing location. I wasn't sure what to expect, but both Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel showed it being in essentially the same location. I got started a few hours before dawn. Other than the last quarter moon, the sky conditions were fantastic. Still, it took close to an hour and a half of observation before I was able to spot an extremely faint, diffuse patch of light. After my initial observation, it was fairly easy to find again. I assume the reason it took so long to spot was due to my own dark adaption and the time required for the C8 to cool down. Also, the comet was in a better location for observation by the time I spotted it.

Bill

Nick Anderson

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: kansas skies]
      #6161830 - 10/28/13 03:23 AM

I caught both Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) and Comet C/2012 X1 (LINEAR) for the first time two mornings ago (October 26) in my 8-inch Dob, albeit the moonlit skies. I used my local upper 5th magnitude site.

I first sighted Comet ISON when it was about 26 degrees above the horizon. It wasn't nearly as bright as I was expecting, probably due to the last quarter Moon. The comet was a difficult averted vision object (4/5) with a very diffuse appearance. The coma was probably only about 2 arcminutes in diameter. Doubling the power to 96x, with extreme averted vision I could just barely catch glimpses of a small tail relatively to the northwest.

As for Comet LINEAR, I first caught it when it was 12 degrees above the horizon and only 2 minutes before the start of astronomical twilight. However, it proved to be an easier target than Comet ISON. I estimated the coma to be 4-5 arcminutes in diameter, but with no tail. I found it to be a moderately difficult averted vision object (3/5).

I am hoping to try both of these comets again next week without the Moon and possibly from my rural site. It will also be worth giving Comet 2P/Encke and Comet C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) each a first observation.

-Nick Anderson

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Nick Anderson]
      #6162015 - 10/28/13 08:38 AM Attachment (57 downloads)

Comet ISON

28 Oct, 2013 Seeing and Transparency 6 out of 10
16" f/4.5 5:05 AM MST 100 miles from Phoenix, Az.
27mm eyepiece found by sweeping "underneath" Mars in Leo. Pretty low surface brightness.
14mm eyepiece (130X) pretty faint, pretty large, "comet-shaped" with fairly prominent nucleus. Coma and tail are low surface brightness, particularly with a 20% illuminated Moon only about 15 degrees distant. Averted vision shows the tail thicker and more prominent.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Drawing made at 130X with no filter.

Edited by stevecoe (10/28/13 08:39 AM)

RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: MrJones]
      #6164290 - 10/29/13 10:22 AM

Hi everybody, any observations on these comets from LAST night? I plan to observe at 5am this morning, with my 6" achro refractor, under SQM 19.8 skies (with the comets over the sea and relatively low light pollution in their direction). I just wonder what my chances are!

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #6164878 - 10/29/13 04:12 PM

With the new moon coming this week, you may have a good chance to see them them all with your scope. Based on the other scopes you own, I'd say your eyes are experienced at detecting faint objects. I also have a similar scope, a Celestron Omni 150R, its definitely a nice comet hunter, though Ive only seen comet Linear, the newly outburst comet with a 4" refractor, but only after I had it in the eyepiece of my C11, and it was my piggy back scope.
They will all be faint and dim and small. Your 13 Ethos would be a nice one to start panning with, since it would give you enough magnification to help you detect any of them.
Sometimes, when I'm not sure if a scope I'm using can detect a comet, I look for an edge on galaxy of about the same brightness and see how that looks first, and see if i can detect anything. They are all I think just under Mag 10 now, any 6" scope should be able to see 10 mag objects, but then again, these aren't very obvious.
Id be interested in how you do. I'm planning on piggy backing my 150R on top of my C11 this weekend for my comet hunting. And I'm in the orange zone, so I should be in similar skies.
Good luck, report back what you find if anything at all.

....Ralph

Quote:

Hi everybody, any observations on these comets from LAST night? I plan to observe at 5am this morning, with my 6" achro refractor, under SQM 19.8 skies (with the comets over the sea and relatively low light pollution in their direction). I just wonder what my chances are!

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6165045 - 10/29/13 05:51 PM

I saw ISON Sunday morning around 5:15 am. The comet was found with a 100* 14mm ep. It was an easy direct vision object. Guessing the magnitude to be about 8.5. Best view was through a 9mm 100* ep giving 171x mag. With this ep the coma was visible with a halo surrounding the brighter coma. The comet appeared streak like with the coma showing an oval shape. The comet was much brighter than 2 weeks earlier when I first saw it.

Good Comet Hunting Everyone.

Dean

Edited by Dean Norris (10/31/13 02:54 PM)

guangtou
sage

Reged: 03/27/10

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6168100 - 10/31/13 10:04 AM

From Gila, NM (Bortle 2)Comet Lovejoy was quite easy in the Canon 15x50IS- couldn't really make out Ison.

RolandosCY

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: guangtou]
      #6168391 - 10/31/13 12:28 PM

My first attempt on these comets was unsuccesful due to thin high cirrus clouds. It will be great for all who report if they add whether they are at a very dark, rural, suburban sky etc so that we get an idea of the visibility of the comets under all conditions...

dgg99

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Northern Spain
      #6168492 - 10/31/13 01:19 PM

I was able to see ISON and Lovejoy today with my 120mm, from a NELM ~5.3-5.5 site (zenith). ISON was a small and very faint smudge, with maybe a faint central condensation and a slightly elongated, asymmetric coma. It was quite small, maybe around 2'. A challenging comet! My best view was at 77x and 111x.

On the other hand, Lovejoy was a fine sight. It has a round coma that gradually fades away and a well visible central condensatiuon. I guess magnitude 7 and around 5' in diameter.

Regards

janehoustonjones
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/21/07

Loc: 34 N 118 W, 652.0 feet
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: dgg99]
      #6172099 - 11/02/13 02:58 PM

I'm heading out to Amboy Crater http://cleardarksky.com/c/AmbyCtCAkey.html?1 Nice and dark, and good Clear Sky Chart conditions. Bringing 7x50 and 9x63 binos, 12.5 inch reflector and 70mm Televue Ranger. Hope to sketch the three comets, and compare ISON in the small refractor and medium reflector. Hubby has imaging gear & AP Refractor. We're covered!

Edited by janehoustonjones (11/02/13 02:59 PM)

Jim T

Reged: 12/15/10

Loc: MO
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: janehoustonjones]
      #6172596 - 11/02/13 08:57 PM

I drove out to a green zone on Friday morning, armed just with my 10x50's and 25x100's (hand-held only). Within a minute, Lovejoy was found easily. Nice in the 10 byes, and very nice in the 25's.

I failed to find ISON or Encke. I think they might need more than 25x? Perhaps the hand-holding cost me there, due to their smaller size.

Lovejoy was greenish-gray at 25x. Transparency was about as good as it gets in MO in November, which was needed due to its' low position in the sky. Humid conditions bordering on the dew point, but a nice (cold) breeze to keep it barely at-bay.

Great thread! I hope to go out again later tonight, when the clouds clear off here.

Edited by Jim T (11/03/13 08:42 AM)

Jim T

Reged: 12/15/10

Loc: MO
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Jim T]
      #6173345 - 11/03/13 09:26 AM

Drove out to another green zone this morning. C/2013 R1 Lovejoy was easy in 10x50's and 25x100's, and I drew the FOV in my 16" scope at 61x. Slightly green with a bright coma and a hint of tail.

I managed to find Comet ISON with quite a bit of difficulty. Dew was falling and would soon turn to frost, my maps ended Oct 31 ('extend the line'), and - perhaps most importantly - the Zodiacal Light. The "ZL" was brighter than the Milky Way, no doubt blending into the cometary light, brightening the sky background. I found Comet ISON 2 FOV's south of Sigma Leonis at 203x in my 16" (about one degree). I managed to then see it at 61x, but barely. Not seen in either of my binos.

I was not able to observe 2P/Encke, despite a good try.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Jim T]
      #6174926 - 11/04/13 06:52 AM

I think that ISON may have brightened considerably since your report. This morning it was easy to see with my 10" scope under mediocre sky conditions--est. mag about 8.0. Very encouraging!

JimC

RolandosCY

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Mirzam]
      #6175049 - 11/04/13 09:18 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Well, finally I was able to get a shot for some cometary observations - though only barely, as a band of desert dust from the eastern shores of Mediterranean produced reduced transparencies below about 30 degrees altitude. Thankfully, C/2013R1 Lovejoy was able to penetrate the murkiness.

On Saturday night, I was able to observe Lovejoy through both my 18" but also through an 80mm APO from a good dark site (albeit with reduced contrast due to the desert sand). Obviously it did appear much brighter in the 18", at low magnification it appeared quite concentrated. at medium magnification it appeared much fuzzier, with a brighter concentration slightly offset from the center of the broad halo. In the 80mm refractor it appeared bright but rather small, it was stronly reminescent of how many NGC globulars in the Ophiuchus region appeared through my old 12"! The comet was readily visible direct vision as a fuzzy star in 10x50 binoculars and through 15x70 binoculars it again reminded me of distant unresolved globulars! Later in the same night, I managed to observe the comet with my 15x70 binos from a city of 250,000. It was quite faint, but still dtectable with direct vision!

On Sunday evening I set up to photograph the comet. From my home in the outskirts of a seaside city, again looking through airborne dust (and this time with high humidity), I managed to detect it with my 15x70s as an ilkl-defined faint roundish glow with no hint of a nucleus or tail. Through my 22x60 Takahashi binoculars it appeared as a roundish glow almost touching a 7.7 magnitude star. Again, no hint of central structure was visible. Through my Takahashi FS102 at 41X though it appeared to have a bright nucleus well offset from the center of the coma. On checking later the photos I took it seems that at the time the comet was passing very close to a 12-th magnitude star, hence the appearance of a bright nucleus!

The other comets were not attempted as transparency was detoriating at the time...

Edited by RolandosCY (11/04/13 09:21 AM)

RolandosCY

#6175055 - 11/04/13 09:24 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Quote:

Obviously it did appear much brighter in the 18", at low magnification it appeared quite concentrated. at medium magnification it appeared much fuzzier, with a brighter concentration slightly offset from the center of the broad halo.

Here is my drawing of Lovejoy through my 18"....

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#6175173 - 11/04/13 10:34 AM

This morning (November 4.4UT) I observed both C/ISON and 2P/Encke.

C/ISON appeared as a rather odd but fairly impressive object of total magnitude 9.1 showing a moderate degree of condenation within its coma using a 41cmL, 70x, and sporting a very distinct, if faint, long tail of seemingly almost even surface brightness over most of its length (an unusual situation in my experience). Shortly thereafter 15x70B also showed the comet, this time as magnitude 8.8 and around 5.5' in diameter, but no tail. My site had Bortle class 4 skies with a limiting magnitude approaching 6.0 this morning.

2P/Encke was less easily visible with just the binoculars, much lower in the sky (only 13 degrees up) and in the brightest portion of the ZL. I made it to be magnitude 7.6 and perhaps 3' in diameter, but it could not be considered a particularly obvious object with the binoculars.

BrooksObs

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/08

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6175749 - 11/04/13 03:41 PM

Finally got to see C/2013 R1 Lovejoy on Sunday morning, after a long run of cloudy nights. Even so, I had to keep taking the telescope inside and covering the mount during the frequent showers. There were even several flashes of lightning towards the south as I viewed the comet. Sky transparency between the clouds was excellent, though, and I'm in a yellow/green boundary area light-pollution-wise.

I was pleased, though not surprised having read the other observations, to find the comet easily visible in a 9 x 60mm finder. In the 8" SCT the coma was bright, diffuse, rather than strongly concentrated around the pseudo-nucleus, and with a couple of faint stars visible through it. Indications of a short tail were obvious from the shape of the coma.

I did attempt some imaging, but was quickly driven indoors by a torrential shower. I had hoped to view ISON, Encke and Linear 2012 X1, and had checked their locations for that morning. However, after some sleep I looked out at 5:30am to find the comets' locations only just clearing my rather high eastern horizon (I live in a valley), the sky starting to lighten AND more cloud moving in . Another day perhaps!

Thanks for reading. Regards,

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! [Re: Mike C]
      #6175907 - 11/04/13 05:09 PM

Saw Comet ISON Sunday morning 11/3/13 at 4:30 am PST. Even though the Moon was absent the comets' magnitude hadn't changed much if at all since a week earlier. It did appear a little bigger in the coma region.

Sky conditions were decent the Flame nebulae easily seen in my 10" newt.
The seeing was fair with Jupiter showing some detail with moments of steady views.

Dean

Edited by Dean Norris (11/04/13 05:11 PM)

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6176697 - 11/05/13 01:26 AM

I managed to see all 4 comets on Friday night. being out by myself from late Friday evening to Saturday morning. I had a perfect flat view to the East from the Orange zone just east of Sacramento in Rancho Cordova, and one by one, started observing our 4 comets as they all came over the eastern horizon. C/2013R1 Lovejoy was the first one to see, it was up just after 11pm and an easy one to spot, exactly halfway between Procyon and M44. It was fairly easy to find in 15x70mm binoculars, also easy to see in a 4" F/6 Orion Astroview refractor at ~40x, and very detailed in my C11 at about 130x.

ISON was much more difficult to detect, I could not see it in my 15x70 binoculars until it was spotted in my C11 first, then my 4" refractor. It was very dim and oblong in shaped and once it got high enough in the sky, it finally began to take on the classic wispy shape comets are known for. It was 8 degrees below Mars and just 40 arc minutes from 77 Leo, a 4th magnitude naked eye visible star in the sky. it also looked best at about 130x in my C11, and was just barely noticible in my 4" refractor. It became detectable after 3am.

2P/ Encke, came up just before 5am, and looked like a tight Globular cluster in my binoculars and 4" scope, but was relatively bright in my C11. It seemed to take magnification well, and was its best at about 165 degrees in my C11. 2P/ Encke was 15 degrees below Denebola, which was 15 degrees from Mars but also, relatively easy to spot in my 15x70 binoculars.

Comet C/2012 X1 Linear. our recently outburst comet, was exactly 20 degrees to the left of Comet 2p/Encke, This was the largest of the group of comets to detect, even just 5 degrees off the horizon. In my 15x70's, the comet resembled M13. The 4" refractor also was easy to observe the comet with, and with my C11, was it looked like a big poof of round light. This comet was visible just after 5:30am, still dark enough, but definitely getting brighter.

Overall, a pretty nice accomplishment for one night of comet hunting and only about 19 miles from my home in Sacramento.

For the record, the seeing and transparency were nearly perfect, 4/5, which is pretty nice for this time of the year, and one of the rare times left before the end of the new year.

Overall, a pretty awesome night to see all 4 comets in one night.

...Ralph A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16064

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics