Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6205036 - 11/20/13 01:40 AM

Apparently, Comet ISON has experienced another outburst and is now shining at approximately magnitude 4.0.

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=19&month=11&year=2013

Dave Mitsky

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ilovecomets

Reged: 09/21/12

Loc: Western Mass
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6205161 - 11/20/13 06:50 AM

Observed ISON with a few friends from an orange site this morning. Moon was still pretty full, but also far enough to not impact too much. Comet was first visible about 3 degrees off horizon in binoculars. A few of us were able to see it naked eye until twilight kicked in. We estimated 2 degree tail in binoculars and slightly larger in 3-4" scopes.

Last viewing was a week and a half ago. Comet has brightened significantly. We estimated it at around 3.5-4.0 magnitude. I strongly recommend everyone to get out and view before perihelion. There's no guarantee it will be there in a couple weeks.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: t.r.]
      #6205223 - 11/20/13 08:16 AM

Quote:

Tomorrow morning is it! Myself and a buddy are making an attempt for both Ison and Lovejoy for the first time with 12x60 binos, C80SS and TMB92L...I think it will happen!!!

WoW! That was disappointing...a fuzzy star, no tail for Ison and No-Joy for Lovejoy with 12x60's! Of course my neighbors security light and the Moon did me no favors! Don't know how my buddy made out...hopefully better than me!

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: t.r.]
      #6205234 - 11/20/13 08:31 AM

From my light-polluted backyard at 6 AM MST this morning, through a break in horizon-hugging clouds and bright moonlight, I could detect about a 2, maybe 2-1/2 degree long tail on ISON, with a bright, concentrated coma. The tail is pointed back in the general direction of Spica. Using my 40+ year-old 8x40mm Bushnell Wide Angle bino (10 degree true field).

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6205396 - 11/20/13 10:19 AM

This morning I was able to see Lovejoy easily in 10x50 binocs and it was quite nice in my 20x80s. No luck with ISON. There was a swath of cloud in that direction and by the time it really got high enough the sky was too bright.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6205398 - 11/20/13 10:20 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

I set up my 10 inch reflector in my backyard at 4:45 am and in about 20 minutes I was out there with my 7x35 Tasco binocs, (which are lame lol), and I easily found Comet Lovejoy! I then used every eyepiece I had and saw the comet.

I could see a tail with averted vision and did a few sketches. Please excuse my poor drawings, but they are just for record keeping of my observations.

I tried for Ison, but lost it every time I went from my binocs to the scope because there were no guide stars to get me back there and the same happened to me as above: light cloud obscured it and by the time it got high enough, heavy twilight killed it.

Cheers,

Left pic: 34mm ES 68 / 35x. Right pic: 14mm ES 100 / 86x

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6205399 - 11/20/13 10:21 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Sketch #2:

Left pic: 9mm ES 100 / 133x. Right pic: 5.5mm Meade UW / 218x

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6205402 - 11/20/13 10:22 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

Finally, me with my 10 inch reflector in my backyard:

JustinW80

Reged: 09/03/13

Loc: Cherry Hill, NJ
      #6205424 - 11/20/13 10:29 AM

I'm a beginner, and this was my first early morning session out with my telescope, due to all the active comets!

I went out at 5:30am, had everything set up and aligned by 5:45am, and I went on to observe three comets and three planets. A great morning!

When I first got out and took my bearings, I pointed my 15x70 binos at the bright object up high, and it turned out to be Jupiter. I'd gotten it in the binoculars before but never with the scope since I got it over the summer. Now was the chance!

I saw Lovejoy, LINEAR, and ISON. Then it was on to Mars and finally Jupiter. Banding and all 4 Galilean moons, just hanging there in front of my eye.

At 6:15a, about 15 minutes before sunrise, I tried once more to nail Mercury, which was hidden behind my neighbor's house earlier. There she was, just peeking over the rooftop.

It was cold, and I'm dragging now, but it was worth the early rise!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: JustinW80]
      #6205444 - 11/20/13 10:42 AM

Awesome Justin!!! I also saw Mercury as well.

Cheers!

Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: JustinW80]
      #6205448 - 11/20/13 10:43 AM

I had another view of C/2012 S1 ISON this morning from Canton, OH. Strong moonlight, the first vestiges of twilight and local light pollution made for very challenging conditions, but my work shift compelled me to observe the comet from our company's parking lot just prior to clocking in.

I had my 15x70 binoculars at the ready, and picked up the comet at 5:55 a.m. EST (Nov. 20.46 UT). The comet was much easier to see this morning vs. two days ago, even though it was lower. I'd estimate the strongly-condensed (DC ~ 7), 3'-wide coma had a total integrated brightness of about magnitude 4.1, with a 1/2-degree tail pointing almost straight at Spica.

It is interesting to note that the comet's elongation and solar distance right now is similar to where it will be during the peak observing window (Dec. 7-14). Fortunately, this period will have no moon interference, the comet's phase angle will increase, and it will be closer to us at this time. Barring no further surprises, if I were to hazard a guess as to what it'll look like during the second week of December, I'm guessing about 4th magnitude with a 5-10 degree tail under dark skies. Not a "Great Comet", but maybe a similar appearance to C/2004 F4 Bradfield and worth some lost sleep.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Rocky68d

Reged: 11/01/09

Loc: Anacortes, WA USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #6205933 - 11/20/13 03:22 PM

The skies finally cleared here in the upper left corner of the lower 48 to allow some comet viewing. Despite the moon and average transparency Lovejoy and ISON were both visible in my Fuji 7X50 binos with Lovejoy showing a short tail. ISON was faint and the tail was visible only with averted vision. Neither were naked eye objects. The best part of the show was a large meteor, not quite a bolide, that shot from the zenith to the south and burned up 10 degrees above the horizon. It left a long and impressive smoke train illuminated by the moon which lasted for 3 or 4 minutes before the winds aloft broke it up. All in all, well worth getting out of a warm bed to venture out in subfreezing temperatures.

Edited by Rocky68d (11/20/13 07:16 PM)

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Rocky68d]
      #6206060 - 11/20/13 04:48 PM

ISON spotted while still in the trees at about 5:20 a.m. and I was amazed at its intensity as seen with my 15x70B. This morning C/ISON reminded me very much of the way Ikeya-Seki looked during one of my last pre-T sightings in early October of '65.

Once clear of the trees, with twilight already having begun, surprisingly bright with an intensely condensed coma roughly 2.5' in diameter, DC = 8. Total magnitude after accounting for differential extinction was 4.5 , although in my opinion the available comparison stars were less than of first class, most for lack of a choice outside of spectral class K. Comet could be easily followed in binoculars long into twilight..a good sign for things to come!

BrooksObs

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6206141 - 11/20/13 05:39 PM

Thanks for the reports. I havent gotten a clear horizon for about a week now to look again for myself.

Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6206303 - 11/20/13 07:19 PM

Quote:

ISON spotted while still in the trees at about 5:20 a.m. and I was amazed at its intensity as seen with my 15x70B. This morning C/ISON reminded me very much of the way Ikeya-Seki looked during one of my last pre-T sightings in early October of '65.

Once clear of the trees, with twilight already having begun, surprisingly bright with an intensely condensed coma roughly 2.5' in diameter, DC = 8. Total magnitude after accounting for differential extinction was 4.5 , although in my opinion the available comparison stars were less than of first class, most for lack of a choice outside of spectral class K. Comet could be easily followed in binoculars long into twilight..a good sign for things to come!

BrooksObs

John,

Do think there's a chance there could be a sizable post-perihelion "bump" for Comet ISON?

Clear Skies,
Phil

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #6206683 - 11/20/13 11:10 PM

I got some Lovejoy last night and I do mean the comet!

I can't wake up in the middle of the night on a work night so I stayed up and caught it at 1:30am from my backyard and it was a decent 20* high. I couldn't tell that it had such an impressive tail, like Markus captured in his sketches.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Starman81]
      #6207361 - 11/21/13 11:23 AM

I caught ISON at 5:12 am CST on Nov 20. It was low and looked like a greenish fuzzy star with a hint of a tail. It was rather low. I was using 10x50 binoculars.

Wes Stone

Reged: 05/20/03

Loc: Chiloquin, OR
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #6207394 - 11/21/13 11:40 AM

After some days of clouds, I went out on the morning of November 21st. I drove to a park with a decent eastern horizon and got there at around 5:20am. I am currently away from home with only my 10x42 binoculars on hand. Comet Lovejoy was an easy target in the binox, and in fact an easy naked-eye object even in moonlight. Limiting magnitude was 5.7, and I'd estimate Lovejoy's magnitude as around 4.9. The coma was large and fuzzy (10-15' in diameter?), condensed in the center but with no stellar nucleus visible at 10x. 1 degree of rather bright tail was visible, and beyond that another degree faintly visible.

ISON was in low clouds near the horizon to the upper right of Mercury. When I first saw it in the binox, it was quite starlike with a hint of tail. It was strongly reddened at low altitude, but as it rose the still-stellar coma took on an icy-cold green tint. A rather thin, faint tail stretched out for a couple of degrees, and seemed brighter on the SE side. I never was positive that I could see ISON with my naked eye.

Weather was pretty frigid with a biting wind. Conditions look promising (more frigid but less wind) for tomorrow morning, so I may go out again.

Wes Stone
Klamath Falls, OR

Yaar
sage

Reged: 02/18/09

Loc: 24.94N
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Wes Stone]
      #6207627 - 11/21/13 01:54 PM

Thank you everyone for the reports. Keep 'em coming!

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#6208576 - 11/21/13 11:17 PM

John,

Do think there's a chance there could be a sizable post-perihelion "bump" for Comet ISON?

Clear Skies,
Phil

With ISON's photometric behavior being so erratic up to this point, I certainly wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of such an event. However, I would note that according to JPL's comet guru Dr. Z. Sekanina in a recently published paper concerning the considerable similarities between small perihelion, dynamically "new" comets Seki-Lines and ISON, he expressed the opinion that the former object underwent a brief, but quite significant, perihelion dip in brightness. This does seem to account for Seki-Lines not being seen in daylight, as had been hoped for by some. I had previously attributed the odd failure (the comet theoretically should have reached -7) to other causes, but he may be right.

Any post-T enhancement of a comet's brightness is usually associated with a break-up of the nucleus. Once again, that is a possibility, if just a small one.

Anyway, if it is clear out my way on next Thursday, be assured that I'll be out looking for ISON in daylight, utilizing some of my highly specialized equipment and techniques created just for that purpose. And thereafter, I have the feeling many of us are going to be surprised to see what emerges from the morning twilight after perihelion.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/21/13 11:26 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15286

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics