Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
barasits
sage

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Chicago
Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: RobbW]
      #4960307 - 12/10/11 06:41 PM

RobbW, I liked your comment on the article in the Rockford Register Star. Excellent job of countering the crime issue with facts and references delivered in a friendly dispassionate style. Bravo!

A city that premium refractor enthusiasts probably consider sacred, Rockford certainly ought be a leader in the reduction of light pollution.

Geoff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
barasits
sage

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: magic612]
      #4971935 - 12/18/11 01:26 AM

Have a look at the excellent set of responses to a report on The Energy Saving Trust's (an independent energy conservation organization in the UK) blog:

http://energysavingtrust.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/a-brighter-future-for-social-housing/

Many of these comments appear to be coming from Stargazer's Lounge members. Bravo!

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: barasits]
      #4972198 - 12/18/11 09:35 AM

Geoff, I added a comment - I wonder if this is the same article Tonk linked to in another thread, as I was unable to see comments from that link, but it appears to be the identical article.

barasits
sage

#4972486 - 12/18/11 12:32 PM

Quote:

Geoff, I added a comment - I wonder if this is the same article Tonk linked to in another thread, as I was unable to see comments from that link, but it appears to be the identical article.

Sorry for the redundancy, it is the same article. I should have checked other threads first.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#4972539 - 12/18/11 01:04 PM

No, it's okay - I didn't see a comments section in the other one. Maybe my browser doesn't display them...???

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
      #4972710 - 12/18/11 02:52 PM

I;'ve added a lengthy comment to the blog dealing with 3 issues. Light spill. Enviromental impacts of wildlife and humans. Crime deterent effectiveness

http://energysavingtrust.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/a-brighter-future-for-social-housing/

magic612
Post Laureate

#4981028 - 12/23/11 10:32 AM

Please add some short, positive comments to this article:

http://www.chicoer.com/lifestyle/ci_19503914

magic612
Post Laureate

#4981589 - 12/23/11 03:44 PM

This one doesn't have a comments section, but I'd say it makes a nice template for anyone looking to write their local newspaper about poor lighting in their municipality:

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/opinion/mailbag/fancy-lights-rob-us-of-night-sky-s-beauty/article_367322de-2c23-11e1-99a7-0019bb2963f4.html

(And Tom, if you're here at Cloudy Nights, nice job!!)

barasits
sage

#4982068 - 12/23/11 09:31 PM

Dave, I think there is a comments section (with 26 entries at this time).

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#4982608 - 12/24/11 09:58 AM

Hmmm... seriously, I even did a "Ctrl-F" search for comments, and nothing came up the first time. Now it's there. Okay, well - please add positive ones!

EDIT:

By the way, I'm glad to see so many GOOD comments in that article that are FOR smarter lighting practices. We need to keep this up anytime we see articles like this, and counter the emotionally-based, "Wah! We need MORE lights!" type arguments with factual information. Educating people about this issue is key, and whenever and wherever we can do it, we need to do so.

Thanks for everyone chipping in and writing! It DOES matter. You may not convince the arguers, but lots of people read those comments who never write anything. We need to persuade the persuadable, and that will take repetition, and time.

Edited by magic612 (12/24/11 10:17 AM)

barasits
sage

#4982653 - 12/24/11 10:25 AM

Quote:

I posted a comment but it disappeared.

By the way, ChicoER.com is a subscription news site that limits non-subscribers to a total of 5 free full article views per month. I ran through my 5 free views trying to figure out what happened to my comment, so I can no longer see the article.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#4982673 - 12/24/11 10:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I posted a comment but it disappeared.

By the way, ChicoER.com is a subscription news site that limits non-subscribers to a total of 5 free full article views per month. I ran through my 5 free views trying to figure out what happened to my comment, so I can no longer see the article.

Geoff

Same happened with mine there. I posted one, as they did have a comments section when I first found that, and I do not see any comments at all now - yours or mine. It is possible they disabled comments for that article.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #4982933 - 12/24/11 12:54 PM

I’m not sure how many people even read “comments” on news paper websites. I know I gave up on doing it a while ago after I realized that most of the posts came from the same cranks who just want to disagree with anything that is said.

However, “positive” does work! I heard a discussion on enviro advertizing on a NPR program specifically discussing radio and TV adds aimed at increasing recycling rates. Adds showing why recycling is needed, how to do it, etc, had no impact on the recycling rate. Adds showing local people recycling did result in an increased recycle rate. The commentators seemed to thing that seeing others “doing good” has a motivating impact on peoples’ behavior.

Perhaps “anti-LP education” should feature the current efforts that are working? If people can see that reducing LP does not really impact them (other than reducing cost) they might be more supportive.

barasits
sage

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: George N]
      #4982972 - 12/24/11 01:21 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure how many people even read “comments” on news paper websites. I know I gave up on doing it a while ago after I realized that most of the posts came from the same cranks who just want to disagree with anything that is said....

There's no way for us to know how many people read the comments. I usually quickly scan through the comments on stories that I'm interested in and you're quite right that there are always some crank comments no matter what the topic happens to be. But if we abandon comments sections to the cranks then people who do look at the comments may come away with the impression that the cranks represent some sort of consensus.

At the very least, I want the authors of informative pieces on lighting and light pollution to know that there is an appreciative audience out here.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: George N]
      #4983166 - 12/24/11 03:08 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure how many people even read “comments” on news paper websites. I know I gave up on doing it a while ago after I realized that most of the posts came from the same cranks who just want to disagree with anything that is said.

I tend to ignore the cranks, but they can have a deleterious effect on people who are easily swayed, if the only ones posted are negative. Therefore I think it is important to counter the negative/emotional comments with positive (if even forceful) arguments to the contrary, using facts to bolster our position. I think what's important to note is that politicians DO still read newspapers, and take cues from some of that stuff. If we offer opposing viewpoints, we can have a beneficial impact.

Quote:

Perhaps “anti-LP education” should feature the current efforts that are working? If people can see that reducing LP does not really impact them (other than reducing cost) they might be more supportive.

George, that is an interesting and useful point. I've been working on ways to incorporate that into the videos I make, and hope to make a few that are specifically about light pollution. Some of the threads here recently are proof-positive that we do have success stories to tell, too.

magic612
Post Laureate

#4986743 - 12/27/11 10:47 AM

First, let me say that I appreciate everyone who is posting in these article comments. I think for as much time as we spend perusing in CN and talking about gear and equipment, it's worth a minute or two of our time to do something positive about light pollution issues. So on that note, here's another one:

http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/2011/12/27/14268-hawaii-astronomers-and-animals-vexed-by-oahus-blazing-lights/

Don't forget, this affects astronomy research being done in Hawaii, given the large telescopes nearby.

magic612
Post Laureate

#4991639 - 12/30/11 09:03 AM

VERY PROMINENT ARTICLE! This was top of the page / almost headline type article for msnbc.com this morning:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45823794/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/#.Tv3DzzUV12A

Please register and add some positive thoughts to the discussion there in the comment section. Thanks!

magic612
Post Laureate

#5028532 - 01/20/12 12:16 PM

Ian Cheney's (film-maker of "The City Dark") letter to the editor of the NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/give-back-milky-article-1.1008889

Please add some positive comments to this! NYC could use a LOT less light pollution.

Dark Sky Scott

Reged: 01/06/12

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5028936 - 01/20/12 03:50 PM

Is this the standard spot for posting articles on LP?

If so, you might enjoy this one too:
http://thespacewriter.com/wp/2012/01/20/occupy-the-milky-way/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheSpacewriter+%28TheSpacewriter%27s+Ramblings%29

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread [Re: Dark Sky Scott]
      #5029319 - 01/20/12 07:36 PM

Scott, yes, it sure is, and thanks for that! I encourage people to post positive comments in articles that have to do with lighting and/or light pollution to help combat the inevitable comments that pop up at the end of those articles like, "Oh great - lights out, crime up!" - which, of course, we know is not true. Feel free to post encouraging blog posts and articles too!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8173

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics