Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
The "Add positive comment to this article" thread
      #4939033 - 11/28/11 12:00 PM

Here's an idea: Whenever we see an article about light pollution or outdoor lighting and there is a comments section, let's all add a positive comment to it, so that we are showing people in a given area that there are a lot of people who care about outdoor lighting. So when you find such an article, post it here, and everyone who reads this please post a positive comment to the article about reducing light pollution.

Here's one we can start with:

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20111128%2FNEWS%2F111280322%2F-1%2FNEWSMAP

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: magic612]
      #4939450 - 11/28/11 04:33 PM

I think that this is a splendid idea! How would you propose the subject be approached? In my estimation, using the term "light pollution" may not come off well with the majority of people who are not amateur astronomers or environmentalists... perhaps it might be wiser to address this issue in term of "unwanted (or undesired) light", "light trespass" or "disability glare" (a term used by many state DOT's to signify light that interferes with the act of driving).

It might also be beneficial to mention (with references and links) those studies done that indicate 24-hour bright lighting disturbs the circadian rhythms in both man and animals.

Perhaps a pinned thread could be established here on this forum that could alert us to articles that need our, shall we say, "input"?

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #4939532 - 11/28/11 05:20 PM

I left a comment at the bottom of that article; I didn't even mention the term "light pollution." I just made some arguments against one of the "This is stupid" comments by pointing out good things about better lighting, and indicating this action taken was a positive development. Never hurts to add links to studies, if the comments section will allow links (some sites don't).

Just adding our our positive, constructive thoughts to put the "good" ideas out there to help combat some of the (and I use this term in the nicest possible way, seriously) ignorance surrounding outdoor, nighttime lighting issues should help others know that "darkness isn't bad or scary" or something that people fear. And if we can add more comments "for" than those "against," that can help sway public opinion.

May not be much, but if it takes us 2 minutes to add a short comment, at least it is some of us doing something.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #4939629 - 11/28/11 06:16 PM

Great idea!

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: GeneT]
      #4944107 - 12/01/11 11:05 AM

Here's another article - please take 90 seconds to add a quick positive comment, or take a few minutes and read the article and post. But please post something good about better outdoor lighting - thanks!

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2011/12/dark-city-bright-stars/613/

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
      #4944335 - 12/01/11 01:09 PM

Posted!

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #4944358 - 12/01/11 01:22 PM

Thanks Helder!

barasits
sage

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Chicago
      #4944889 - 12/01/11 06:49 PM

Excellent idea! I've added comments to both of the articles you cited. It's seems to be a better way to spend time than endlessly rehashing the relative merits/defects of SCTs, refractors, and reflectors which, of course, we all do for fun but doesn't improve viewing. Providing a few words of support to people and communities that are making an effort is a very positive step.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: barasits]
      #4944915 - 12/01/11 07:08 PM

Geoff, those were both great comments - thanks for taking a few minutes to add those!

magic612
Post Laureate

#4951419 - 12/05/11 12:51 PM

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Burglars-afraid-dark-Crime-falls-Bristol-street/story-13952633-detail/story.html

Great article about how turning lights off lowers crime. Many comments are emotionally based there now - please add some comments about positive "lights off" experiences so we can counter the non-factual, emotional comments there.

EDIT: Hmmm.. even when I make an account, for some reason I can't add a comment. Hopefully others will try and have better luck.

Edited by magic612 (12/05/11 01:03 PM)

RobbW
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Elgin, IL
      #4951954 - 12/05/11 05:51 PM

I have left positive comments on all articles linked in this thread so far. Thanks for the idea, David!

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: RobbW]
      #4951962 - 12/05/11 05:56 PM

Thanks for adding your thoughts, Robb! Nice to see you around again too.

RobbW
sage

#4951974 - 12/05/11 06:01 PM

I know. I've been out of the loop for awhile. I have things brewing that are taking my time, but I hope to jump into the action here and there as I can. Hopefully more so in the near future!

barasits
sage

#4954275 - 12/07/11 12:51 AM

That was a good piece from Bristol, but the lead made me wince. Of course, reporters often try to hook readers with a clever or amusing opening, but doing so encourages some people to treat the story as a joke. I wish the editor had asked the writer to come up with something that didn't detract from the seriousness of the piece.

Chalk up another comment.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#4954957 - 12/07/11 01:11 PM

Here's a fairly recent article - and one with no information at all about good lighting practices, only emotionally-based "I feel safer with lights" arguments - that is worth commenting on. You'll need to register, but given that this is a recent issue for Rockford, there will likely be more articles there in the future. We'll need to keep an eye on that paper and keep adding positive comments to these kinds of articles:

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x433229272/Rockford-crews-finish-removing-designated-streetlights

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread *DELETED* new [Re: magic612]
      #4955010 - 12/07/11 01:32 PM

Post deleted by Mr. Bill....

Edited by Mr. Bill (12/07/11 04:57 PM)

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #4955043 - 12/07/11 01:48 PM

The point of the thread is not about passively reading positive stories; rather it is to actively post relevant, factual, positive information to news stories online where there are a LOT of comments that are negative about light pollution, night-time lighting, and other outdoor lighting issues. If we can counter a lot of the negative comments at the end of such articles, we can positively influence other readers with statistically accurate information about the benefits of dark skies and better lighting.

And that's part of the problem - IDA doesn't have in place the tools needed TO counter the emotionally-based comments (or sometimes even articles themselves). So that's why I set up this thread - for others to post the stories when they appear, and for ALL of us to take a couple minutes and add a positive comment about better lighting practices.

magic612
Post Laureate

#4955173 - 12/07/11 02:53 PM

Here's a great article to which we should add positive comments. Please take 60 seconds to add something positive to this.

http://www.r3magazine.co.uk/2011/08/soapbox-to-light-or-not-to-light/#comment-172

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
      #4955374 - 12/07/11 04:55 PM

This is a great idea. Having just trawled around some of the articles the first sense you get is the positive comments and educational material thats been linked in.

This approach is well worth keeping up. I'm going to collect some factual info from the UK relighting programs and link this in to these threads too

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: Tonk]
      #4955583 - 12/07/11 07:11 PM

Tonk, that would be most helpful, that way we can all access those in one spot for these article quickly.

barasits
sage

#4960307 - 12/10/11 06:41 PM

RobbW, I liked your comment on the article in the Rockford Register Star. Excellent job of countering the crime issue with facts and references delivered in a friendly dispassionate style. Bravo!

A city that premium refractor enthusiasts probably consider sacred, Rockford certainly ought be a leader in the reduction of light pollution.

Geoff

barasits
sage

#4971935 - 12/18/11 01:26 AM

Have a look at the excellent set of responses to a report on The Energy Saving Trust's (an independent energy conservation organization in the UK) blog:

http://energysavingtrust.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/a-brighter-future-for-social-housing/

Many of these comments appear to be coming from Stargazer's Lounge members. Bravo!

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#4972198 - 12/18/11 09:35 AM

Geoff, I added a comment - I wonder if this is the same article Tonk linked to in another thread, as I was unable to see comments from that link, but it appears to be the identical article.

barasits
sage

#4972486 - 12/18/11 12:32 PM

Quote:

Geoff, I added a comment - I wonder if this is the same article Tonk linked to in another thread, as I was unable to see comments from that link, but it appears to be the identical article.

Sorry for the redundancy, it is the same article. I should have checked other threads first.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#4972539 - 12/18/11 01:04 PM

No, it's okay - I didn't see a comments section in the other one. Maybe my browser doesn't display them...???

Tonk
Postmaster

#4972710 - 12/18/11 02:52 PM

I;'ve added a lengthy comment to the blog dealing with 3 issues. Light spill. Enviromental impacts of wildlife and humans. Crime deterent effectiveness

http://energysavingtrust.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/a-brighter-future-for-social-housing/

magic612
Post Laureate

#4981028 - 12/23/11 10:32 AM

Please add some short, positive comments to this article:

http://www.chicoer.com/lifestyle/ci_19503914

magic612
Post Laureate

#4981589 - 12/23/11 03:44 PM

This one doesn't have a comments section, but I'd say it makes a nice template for anyone looking to write their local newspaper about poor lighting in their municipality:

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/opinion/mailbag/fancy-lights-rob-us-of-night-sky-s-beauty/article_367322de-2c23-11e1-99a7-0019bb2963f4.html

(And Tom, if you're here at Cloudy Nights, nice job!!)

barasits
sage

#4982068 - 12/23/11 09:31 PM

Dave, I think there is a comments section (with 26 entries at this time).

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#4982608 - 12/24/11 09:58 AM

Hmmm... seriously, I even did a "Ctrl-F" search for comments, and nothing came up the first time. Now it's there. Okay, well - please add positive ones!

EDIT:

By the way, I'm glad to see so many GOOD comments in that article that are FOR smarter lighting practices. We need to keep this up anytime we see articles like this, and counter the emotionally-based, "Wah! We need MORE lights!" type arguments with factual information. Educating people about this issue is key, and whenever and wherever we can do it, we need to do so.

Thanks for everyone chipping in and writing! It DOES matter. You may not convince the arguers, but lots of people read those comments who never write anything. We need to persuade the persuadable, and that will take repetition, and time.

Edited by magic612 (12/24/11 10:17 AM)

barasits
sage

#4982653 - 12/24/11 10:25 AM

Quote:

I posted a comment but it disappeared.

By the way, ChicoER.com is a subscription news site that limits non-subscribers to a total of 5 free full article views per month. I ran through my 5 free views trying to figure out what happened to my comment, so I can no longer see the article.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#4982673 - 12/24/11 10:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I posted a comment but it disappeared.

By the way, ChicoER.com is a subscription news site that limits non-subscribers to a total of 5 free full article views per month. I ran through my 5 free views trying to figure out what happened to my comment, so I can no longer see the article.

Geoff

Same happened with mine there. I posted one, as they did have a comments section when I first found that, and I do not see any comments at all now - yours or mine. It is possible they disabled comments for that article.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #4982933 - 12/24/11 12:54 PM

I’m not sure how many people even read “comments” on news paper websites. I know I gave up on doing it a while ago after I realized that most of the posts came from the same cranks who just want to disagree with anything that is said.

However, “positive” does work! I heard a discussion on enviro advertizing on a NPR program specifically discussing radio and TV adds aimed at increasing recycling rates. Adds showing why recycling is needed, how to do it, etc, had no impact on the recycling rate. Adds showing local people recycling did result in an increased recycle rate. The commentators seemed to thing that seeing others “doing good” has a motivating impact on peoples’ behavior.

Perhaps “anti-LP education” should feature the current efforts that are working? If people can see that reducing LP does not really impact them (other than reducing cost) they might be more supportive.

barasits
sage

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: George N]
      #4982972 - 12/24/11 01:21 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure how many people even read “comments” on news paper websites. I know I gave up on doing it a while ago after I realized that most of the posts came from the same cranks who just want to disagree with anything that is said....

There's no way for us to know how many people read the comments. I usually quickly scan through the comments on stories that I'm interested in and you're quite right that there are always some crank comments no matter what the topic happens to be. But if we abandon comments sections to the cranks then people who do look at the comments may come away with the impression that the cranks represent some sort of consensus.

At the very least, I want the authors of informative pieces on lighting and light pollution to know that there is an appreciative audience out here.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: George N]
      #4983166 - 12/24/11 03:08 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure how many people even read “comments” on news paper websites. I know I gave up on doing it a while ago after I realized that most of the posts came from the same cranks who just want to disagree with anything that is said.

I tend to ignore the cranks, but they can have a deleterious effect on people who are easily swayed, if the only ones posted are negative. Therefore I think it is important to counter the negative/emotional comments with positive (if even forceful) arguments to the contrary, using facts to bolster our position. I think what's important to note is that politicians DO still read newspapers, and take cues from some of that stuff. If we offer opposing viewpoints, we can have a beneficial impact.

Quote:

Perhaps “anti-LP education” should feature the current efforts that are working? If people can see that reducing LP does not really impact them (other than reducing cost) they might be more supportive.

George, that is an interesting and useful point. I've been working on ways to incorporate that into the videos I make, and hope to make a few that are specifically about light pollution. Some of the threads here recently are proof-positive that we do have success stories to tell, too.

magic612
Post Laureate

#4986743 - 12/27/11 10:47 AM

First, let me say that I appreciate everyone who is posting in these article comments. I think for as much time as we spend perusing in CN and talking about gear and equipment, it's worth a minute or two of our time to do something positive about light pollution issues. So on that note, here's another one:

http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/2011/12/27/14268-hawaii-astronomers-and-animals-vexed-by-oahus-blazing-lights/

Don't forget, this affects astronomy research being done in Hawaii, given the large telescopes nearby.

magic612
Post Laureate

#4991639 - 12/30/11 09:03 AM

VERY PROMINENT ARTICLE! This was top of the page / almost headline type article for msnbc.com this morning:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45823794/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/#.Tv3DzzUV12A

Please register and add some positive thoughts to the discussion there in the comment section. Thanks!

magic612
Post Laureate

#5028532 - 01/20/12 12:16 PM

Ian Cheney's (film-maker of "The City Dark") letter to the editor of the NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/give-back-milky-article-1.1008889

Please add some positive comments to this! NYC could use a LOT less light pollution.

Dark Sky Scott

Reged: 01/06/12

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5028936 - 01/20/12 03:50 PM

Is this the standard spot for posting articles on LP?

If so, you might enjoy this one too:
http://thespacewriter.com/wp/2012/01/20/occupy-the-milky-way/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheSpacewriter+%28TheSpacewriter%27s+Ramblings%29

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: Dark Sky Scott]
      #5029319 - 01/20/12 07:36 PM

Scott, yes, it sure is, and thanks for that! I encourage people to post positive comments in articles that have to do with lighting and/or light pollution to help combat the inevitable comments that pop up at the end of those articles like, "Oh great - lights out, crime up!" - which, of course, we know is not true. Feel free to post encouraging blog posts and articles too!

Dark Sky Scott

#5045653 - 01/30/12 10:50 AM

The City of Vista, Calif. wants to turn off streetlights to save money, but the local power company owns them and isn't playing ball.

"San Diego Gas & Electric Co. would charge Vista $180,000 to de-energize and re-energize selected streetlights, then charge the city each month for upkeep of the lights and poles."

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/vista/vista-officials-nix-streetlight-shutoff-idea/article_f50ba655-9894-5cc4-9369-6e071039592a.html

magic612
Post Laureate

#5045839 - 01/30/12 12:24 PM

I saw that yesterday, Scott. Unbelieveable. Of course, reading the article, it states that they were looking to save as much as 230,000, and the company was going to charge them 180,000. Isn't $50,000 still a decent savings?

Of course, I'd have just said, "Take the poles down altogether" (but that's just me ). Pretty sad the way that one turned out though. This may be a bad sign for light pollution reduction efforts in the future too, and one of which we should all take note.

RobbW
sage

#5046113 - 01/30/12 03:07 PM

Yes, $50K is still a decent savings. However, I think the difference is $180K up-front costs to de-energize the utility-owned lights vs. $230K savings spread over the whole year. The municipal board has to justify cutting a check for $180K right away. Then there's the question of how much the utility is going to charge the city for upkeep of the lights and poles that the utility owns. The article doesn't mention how much that is going to cost.

I think it is quite ridiculous that the utility can get away with charging the city for upkeep on light poles that are owned by the utility and the city would no longer use. That would be the equivalent of me cancelling my DirecTV subscription, and having DirecTV turn around and say they are still going to charge me a monthly fee for upkeep of their satellites! For crying out loud, those aren't my satellites, and I'm not using them anymore. How the heck could they have any reason to charge me anything?

What bothers me almost as much is reading the user comments. It's a classic example of taxpayers crying for governments to reduce spending... until it actually affects them! Then it's all, "How dare you do something as stupid as turn off the street lights in my neighborhood! You're giving the boogieman free reign to roam the streets of my neighborhood bringing rampant destruction!"

Tell you what, turn off all the street lights except those at intersections. If it is so important that the road and sidewalk directly in front of your home is illuminated, then you can personally pay for the installation and ongoing operation of an appropriate street light that does not pollute the skies or trespass onto your neighbors' properties. Why should the government (and all taxpayers) have to pay for you to "feel" safe in your home?!?!

magic612
Post Laureate

#5046271 - 01/30/12 04:26 PM

Quote:

Why should the government (and all taxpayers) have to pay for you to "feel" safe in your home?!?!

Robb, I think you hit the nail on the head right there. Why are we paying taxes for the illusory "feeling" of safety, vs. the proven "most lights off in most places actually makes you safer" alternative? And the perfect-pitch point of the whole "pay upkeep for something we don't own" thing in this particular article... yeah, wow.

I may just have to make a video on that exact thing. That's the whole point in a neat little package right there. In fact, when it's warmer, if you want to get together and work on that one, we should both work on that - if you want.

RobbW
sage

#5046339 - 01/30/12 05:09 PM

I'm all in, Dave. Keep me posted!

magic612
Post Laureate

#5049696 - 02/01/12 11:49 AM

Robb's article made the FRONT PAGE!

http://couriernews.suntimes.com/news/10274507-418/astronomer-cutting-light-pollution-key-to-seeing-stars.html

Nice going, Robb!

TOM O
sage

Reged: 03/30/06

Loc: Joshua Tree CA.
      #5052554 - 02/02/12 10:19 PM

I added a note and enjoyed the article!

RobbW
sage

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: TOM O]
      #5052592 - 02/02/12 10:41 PM

Saw your note, Tom. Thanks for that! So far, nothing negative!

barasits
sage

#5052694 - 02/03/12 12:08 AM

Well done, Robb! Just now added a comment.

Geoff

RobbW
sage

#5053092 - 02/03/12 09:35 AM

I saw that, Geoff. Thanks!

RobbW
sage

#5053620 - 02/03/12 02:49 PM

If I may be so bold as to make a special request to all who read the LP article in The Courier-news. Even if you do not leave a comment, could I please ask that you at least use the social networking buttons at the top of the article to "Like", "Tweet", "+1", and "Share" this article. The more we can get positive articles about night sky preservation (such as this one) to spread around the cyber world, the more awareness we can bring to the subject.

This article was published in coordination with the vote on the Cook County Lighting Ordinance that day, which passed unanimously. Getting positive articles like this to spread or even possibly go viral would send a huge message to the powers-that-be that starlight preservation is a worthy cause that MANY people support.

Thank you for your help!

magic612
Post Laureate

#5053669 - 02/03/12 03:25 PM

Robb, as you know I already did this, but I just want to encourage everyone else to do the same.

It's a really simple way to take a small message and spread it far and wide, and it only takes a few seconds.

Dark Sky Scott

#5058994 - 02/06/12 06:04 PM

Big Bend National Park in Texas is now an International Dark Sky Park.

See:
http://alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com/alpine-daily-planet/2012/02/big-bend-national-park-earns-international-dark-sky-association-gold-tier-desigation.html

or http://docs.darksky.org/PR/BigBendNPPR.pdf

TOM O
sage

#5059651 - 02/07/12 01:58 AM

I tried to post a comment, but can't see that it worked? Sure wish Joshua Tree could do the same!
Bravo! Big Bend!!!!

magic612
Post Laureate

#5060021 - 02/07/12 10:10 AM

I can't seem to get the comments area to work for me either...?

TOM O
sage

#5060333 - 02/07/12 01:14 PM

If it is, I left 3 trying.....

barasits
sage

#5060433 - 02/07/12 01:59 PM

Tom, your comment is there. My comment appeared after the second attempt--and there was a delay of a few minutes.

Geoff

TOM O
sage

#5061242 - 02/07/12 10:29 PM

Ahhh.. Thanks, Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#5120348 - 03/13/12 02:41 PM

Of course, it's important to comment where the skies are still dark too:

http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/opinion/article_05050ab0-6c91-11e1-821f-0019bb2963f4.html

magic612
Post Laureate

#5220893 - 05/13/12 08:32 PM

I've been rather busy this weekend, so I just saw this one now, but "The World at Night" got a nice article on MSNBC from science editor Alan Boyle, here:

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/11/11662164-the-world-at-night-finds-beauty-in-darkness-and-light?chromedomain=cosmiclog&lite

A couple of the pictures in the slideshow utilize light pollution as part of the artistry of their pictures, but overall, the photos are fantastic, and if nothing else, this effort does a nice job to highlight the problem so more people are aware of it.

All the comments I saw at the end of the article were positive, but it never hurts to add more.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5227235 - 05/17/12 06:39 PM

Great idea. Positive is better than negative reinforcement.

Dark Sky Scott

#5260629 - 06/07/12 06:45 PM

PBS NewsHour's story on light pollution.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2012/06/where-did-all-the-stars-go.html

barasits
sage

#5260687 - 06/07/12 07:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I just added a comment.

Nope, it didn't take. I'll try again later. Wait a minute, it has to be approved by the mod before being posted.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#5283993 - 06/22/12 02:41 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/hillcrest/index.ssf/2012/06/lighting_to_be_reduced_along_f.html

I added a comment - please take a few moments and add one too. Let's spread the good word about less light at night. Thanks!

gax63

Reged: 05/01/10

Loc: Ellenwood,ga
      #5284236 - 06/22/12 05:56 PM

Here is a story I got on my IDA facebook feed for the owlpath.
http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=37064

And their facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/OWLPATH

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: gax63]
      #5284321 - 06/22/12 06:57 PM

Thanks for adding that one, gax63. I added a comment to that article too, though I was encouraged that the article largely was on the side of keeping the lights off, and even those who used the path at night seemed to like keeping them dark too.

Dark Sky Scott

#5291981 - 06/27/12 05:53 PM

Here is an interesting case of light trespass that is going to court - a drive-in movie theater is suing a business. They claim that lights from a neighboring convenience store is interfering with their business.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bs-ae-bengies-20120624,0,7068826.story

magic612
Post Laureate

#5312774 - 07/11/12 12:33 PM

Here's another one - as if the light in Chicago isn't bad enough!

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/2012/07/todays-sign-of-the-apocalypse-ordinance-would-allow-giant-flashing-signs-on-mag-mile-malls.html

barasits
sage

#5313205 - 07/11/12 07:06 PM

It's a double whammy because every wasteful watt in Chicago comes with the added cost of worsening air pollution from Chicago's coal fired power plants. I tried to make that point in my comment.

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#5313576 - 07/11/12 11:27 PM

Thanks for adding your thoughts, Geoff!

TOM O
sage

#5390223 - 08/27/12 06:34 PM

Hi Everyone, I added a comment to this article. Scott has posted info in this discussion forum. Look for his post. Here's the link that I posted a comment to.. and, thanks to Dave Fuller for making this thread...

http://www.knightarts.org/community/philadelphia/preparing-for-open-air-in-philadelphia#comment-8404

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5391560 - 08/28/12 01:58 PM

Maybe instead of viewing what others are doing, we should act in unison. Maybe we should get signatures from amateur astronomers all over the world (CN could set this up in this forum)and give to the UN or send to various governments promoting an "Global Dark Sky Night" where exterior lighting is turned off and people are asked to keep their house lighting to a minimum. We should also encourage people to go outside and look up...

barasits
sage

#5391571 - 08/28/12 02:01 PM

I just submitted my comment regarding the Open Air project. This project makes me livid. The motto of Knight Arts, "witnessing the transformational power of the arts" couldn't be more ironic since Open Air celebrates waste and distain for the environment. What on earth is transformational about that? If Open Air represents the sort of artistic statement of which they approve, then perhaps their motto should be "the power of the arts to reinforce the status quo".

Geoff

Dark Sky Scott

#5392035 - 08/28/12 06:28 PM

By the way, the artist for the project has been posting over at the IDA Facebook site. You can see & join the conversation here: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152034971675401&id=142158105400

TOM O
sage

#5392045 - 08/28/12 06:33 PM

Here is the fb page related to some of this. Interesting feedback and postings....

https://www.facebook.com/assocforPublicArt?ref=search&sid=677131930.2896771940..1&v=wall

Dark Sky Scott

#5392129 - 08/28/12 07:38 PM

Tom, thanks for sharing that one too. The comments are very negative towards this.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5392137 - 08/28/12 07:43 PM

Quote:

I just submitted my comment regarding the Open Air project. This project makes me livid. The motto of Knight Arts, "witnessing the transformational power of the arts" couldn't be more ironic since Open Air celebrates waste and distain for the environment. What on earth is transformational about that? If Open Air represents the sort of artistic statement of which they approve, then perhaps their motto should be "the power of the arts to reinforce the status quo".

Geoff

Just gave them my 2 cents worth about their "art".

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5440067 - 09/25/12 03:07 PM

Here's an article desperately in need of some facts and positive reinforcement comments:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/st-john/st-john-hopes-to-shed-light-on-new-ordinance/article_533fd66a-ac99-5d11-8075-86b50697ab2b.html

Need to register, but it's easy and takes about 30 seconds.

TOM O
sage

#5440997 - 09/26/12 02:22 AM

Thanks, Dave. I posted....

TOM O
sage

#5446554 - 09/29/12 10:32 AM

from my other post...

Forgive me if I am purposing something already suggested, but I didn't do a lot of research to see if this was already ongoing. If it is, I'd like to see a little about it.

Since the formation of this light pollution activist group, and excluding being involved myself, the others involved continue to dedicate themselves to the cause of changing the course of bad light use and the waste of energy and money that goes with it. I have encouraged them to join IDA, but do not know if they have, as I am only an advisory participant. They run the show. I know money is a big issue in what they do and suspect most of these small groups have money troubles. They certainly do put in the time, however.

I wanted to take a moment and share a bit about these fellow caring folk, who are not astronomers. They like astronomy and a couple have a scope, but they are regular community members and neighbors of mine who just love the night sky as it is supposed to be.

As Dave Fuller points out in his thread about leaving a positive comment, I felt like there is good sense to his idea! So, here is a link to the website this group produced. Though our astronomy group is listed, we had nothing to do with creating or maintaining this site. I see that continues to grow and improve every time I visit it.

Perhaps, there are other groups doing similar efforts, and perhaps a kind note of appreciation would encourage them to keep up the great work they do?
With that, I wonder if anyone can add to this and help build a list that creates a larger "alliance"? Maybe it will be a small way to thank those who are doing what they can to bring dark skies?

Respectfully, Tom

http://www.mbdarkskiesalliance.org/index.html

magic612
Post Laureate

#5582262 - 12/21/12 10:46 AM

LA Times - that's a big deal. Please add your positive contributions to this OpEd piece:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-bogard-night-sky-20121221,0,4632467.story

Thanks!

barasits
sage

#5583041 - 12/21/12 07:06 PM

Here's the repaired link to the LA Times oped that Dave referred to:

LA Times article link

Geoff

magic612
Post Laureate

#5583365 - 12/21/12 11:12 PM

Oops! Thanks Geoff - I didn't see the link was broken after I posted.

Dark Sky Scott

#5700324 - 02/25/13 05:57 PM

From Bloomberg:
"Turn Down the City Lights and Make Streets Safer"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-24/turn-down-the-city-lights-and-make-s...

magic612
Post Laureate

#5700430 - 02/25/13 07:16 PM

Scott, I couldn't figure out how to add a comment to that particular oped. I registered with the site and everything, and when I'd click on the "comments" link, it just took me to the bottom of the page. I didn't see a "post a comment" button though.

Tonk
Postmaster

#5700969 - 02/26/13 03:16 AM

From Paris pioneers light pollution reduction

Quote:

“Lighting has a social role, it serves as a reference point,” said Elise Bourmeau, vice-president of the Lighting Union. “We will adapt. But truly, there are solutions that would allow us to keep [lights] on in an energy efficient way.”

This is someone who has totally missed the ecological point or has too much of a vested interest to care

magic612
Post Laureate

Re: The "Add positive comment to this article" thread new [Re: Tonk]
      #5753539 - 03/24/13 10:08 AM

http://sagharboronline.com/sagharborexpress/suffolk-close-up/under-dark-skies...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8183

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics