Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: bassplayer142]
      #5368282 - 08/14/12 12:44 PM

It's a 3+ hour drive to this site. dark sky site Or 5+ hour drive to Manitoulin Island. At least in Manitoulin I can stay with friends and get multiple nights viewing. There is a dark sky site there also that is very dark.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5368342 - 08/14/12 01:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

25 miles.

I don't understand why people have a hard time finding a job in the mountains. Never had problem and quite frankly had the choice of where I wanted to live in the mountain west.

I do believe that the Forestry degree was a big help.

Don't let everyone know about that, or the mountain west will be ruined too!

Because many of those jobs involve fighting forest fires and trapping bears and cougars and other dangerous things. I'd rather spend my outside time looking thru a telescope.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: City Kid]
      #5368362 - 08/14/12 01:24 PM

Yes, it's nice having to drive ZERO miles to get under dark skies.

But under my circumstances and like many others, family, work, business, & etc pretty much dictate where we live and settle. Sure, it's nice to pack up and leave seeking cleaner air and darker skies.

I need to drive to enjoy many activities. For example:

Dark site: 90 miles
Fishing: 25 miles
Favorite mountain biking trail: 30 miles
Football at the Rose Bowl: 25 miles
Lakers at Staples Center: 5 miles
Dodger Stadium baseball: ZERO MILES
BBQ at my in-laws: 20 miles

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: mantrain]
      #5368621 - 08/14/12 03:53 PM

I drive about 22 miles from home for mag 4.8 skies. My backyard sports mag 3 skies, and trees that are too tall for viewing. I don't like to view from the front yard because I don't want to have drivers and walkers seeing that I have an expensive telescope. I have learned to enjoy the ride to the viewing site, and to make it part of the journey.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: GeneT]
      #5369959 - 08/15/12 11:37 AM

Our home on California's central coast is in a green zone. I observe from the field between our barn and house. About an hour and a half away is a black zone, just west of San Antonio Lake.
Here in the United Kingdom, I have to travel about an hour to get to a comparable green zone, and roughly two hours to get to a dark site in West Wales.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5370981 - 08/16/12 01:29 AM

Quote:

I've driven a few times into the michigan thumb at about 2 hours. This weekend I'll be heading up near Huron Forest in Michigan at about 3 hours for gray skies. Next year I was planning Cherry springs, but it quickly changed to plans for Gordons Park in Ontario. A ~5 hour drive with a hour or so ferry for roughly bortle 1 skies. Probably the closest black skies around....

You've been on a roll this year hitting up all the dark sites within driving distance! Be sure to report back on your findings.

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: Starman81]
      #5371300 - 08/16/12 09:40 AM

I'm curious of the people who have been to Gordon's park in Ontario. Starman81. Didn't you have a go in the thumb? How was it?

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #5371427 - 08/16/12 11:10 AM

Quote:

I've driven a few times into the michigan thumb at about 2 hours. This weekend I'll be heading up near Huron Forest in Michigan at about 3 hours for gray skies. Next year I was planning Cherry springs, but it quickly changed to plans for Gordons Park in Ontario. A ~5 hour drive with a hour or so ferry for roughly bortle 1 skies. Probably the closest black skies around....

I think it's further than 5 hrs. A fellow club member went there and reported over 7 hrs. to get there. Also, watch out for the black flies, they can be vicious.

Cherry Springs is a comparable distance but with much more southern sky due to the latitude difference. You should also try Lake Hudson, the SE Michigan light dome is to the NE and it's fairly dark to the south. If we get any clear weather this weekend I'll be there.

FordGalaxy

Reged: 07/06/11

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: mantrain]
      #5371680 - 08/16/12 02:24 PM

It's two hours to a grey/black sight for me, but I live on the border of a green/blue Bortle 3/4a area, so I generally travel only to get a wider panorama of the sky. My favorite site is actually slightly brighter than at my home, but has almost the entire sky visible at once and is only 4 miles away. I don't think I'd go to a dedicated grey/black site more than once per year.

GaryJCarter
sage

Reged: 06/06/09

Loc: Fairview, Texas
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: FordGalaxy]
      #5371739 - 08/16/12 03:13 PM

Most of our observing is usually done at the house located in Orange/Red zone. Our monthly Outreach activities are typically conducted in town in much worse light pollution.

We'll drive an hour or two (up to 150 miles) to reach a blue/green zone several times a year. (Our property near Lake Texoma or the TAS dark site near Atoka, OK)

Two to three times a year we'll drive four or more hours to reach a black zone (i.e. Commanche Springs Astronomy Campus and the Texas Star Party).

BJS

Reged: 05/23/09

Loc: NW Ohio
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: JimMo]
      #5371758 - 08/16/12 03:23 PM

I have been wanting to go up to Port St Cresent state park. I would like to hear just how dark it is up there. I talked with the ranger over the phone and they seem interested in atracting people with telescopes.

Jim: I have been to Hudson lake. It is a nice site. You do have to buy a state park parking pass however. Our club has an observing site west of Pioneer so that is where I go when seeking "dark skies" in nw ohio.

Brian

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: BJS]
      #5371867 - 08/16/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

I have been wanting to go up to Port St Cresent state park. I would like to hear just how dark it is up there. I talked with the ranger over the phone and they seem interested in atracting people with telescopes.

Jim: I have been to Hudson lake. It is a nice site. You do have to buy a state park parking pass however. Our club has an observing site west of Pioneer so that is where I go when seeking "dark skies" in nw ohio.

Brian

Port St. Cresent has been getting some chatter on our club's yahoo group. I know of at least one member who has observed there and liked what he saw, very dark to the north and east over Lake Huron.

Lake Hudson does charge a fee although residents just add $10 bucks to the price of our license tabs and we're good for the year.

Maybe we'll run into each other someday. I sort of look like my avatar.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5372877 - 08/17/12 10:23 AM

The DAS Denver dark site is about an hour's drive east of Denver. It's acutally closer than a lot of places people have mentioned to me to go to. I'd live there if I could; but my wife likes lights and flushable toilets. I usually try to get there once a month anyways...but with the weather, its been more like every other month.

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
      #5373068 - 08/17/12 12:02 PM

JimMo, I've been to PCSP twice already this year and it is really good for michigan skies. I have posted both accounts at the following links. Let me know if you have any questions.

I must say, I'm rather surprised and happy there is so many michigan people here talking about michigan sites!

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5320821/Main/5318793

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5277530/Main/5274722

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
      #5379875 - 08/21/12 06:50 PM

I guess I am spoiled here in Lubbock, TX. I can reach a gray zone to the east in less than an hour, so my motivation to go further is rather low. I get some help from totally flat land and straight roads with 70 mph speed limits, though. I have not really taken advantage of the black zones and high elevations next door in NM, but I think I will try the 5 hr. drive out there once next summer.

RobbW
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Elgin, IL
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #5381414 - 08/22/12 04:54 PM

Does it have to be how many miles you're willing to DRIVE? Does flying count? I am taking my one and only trip out to truly dark skies in October this year for the Enchanted Skies Star Party in Socorro, NM. So, I will be flying three hours from Chicago to Albuquerque. Then, I will rent a car and drive another two hours to get to the star party in a grey/black zone.

I so can't wait to see the stars under the NM sky!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a D new [Re: RobbW]
      #5381559 - 08/22/12 06:33 PM

Quote:

Does it have to be how many miles you're willing to DRIVE? Does flying count? I am taking my one and only trip out to truly dark skies in October this year for the Enchanted Skies Star Party in Socorro, NM. So, I will be flying three hours from Chicago to Albuquerque. Then, I will rent a car and drive another two hours to get to the star party in a grey/black zone.

I so can't wait to see the stars under the NM sky!

Lived in NM for years. It really IS dark there around Soccoro. When I lived in Edgewood, NM, there was a slight light dome to the west, but not much, because I was on the East side of the mountain where the land gradually rose, the Albq side was like dropping off a cliff. The milky way was fantastic there.

RobbW
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Elgin, IL
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a D new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5381824 - 08/22/12 09:39 PM

Quote:

Lived in NM for years. It really IS dark there around Soccoro. When I lived in Edgewood, NM, there was a slight light dome to the west, but not much, because I was on the East side of the mountain where the land gradually rose, the Albq side was like dropping off a cliff. The milky way was fantastic there.

Thanks for that insight! Now I REALLY can't wait to get out there!

toepick

Reged: 09/26/07

Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: mantrain]
      #5413529 - 09/10/12 03:00 PM

It's an hour and 15 minute drive to my local spot - white to yellow. Two and a half to get to a green sky site. And up to 13 hours to get from Detroit to Deerlick Astronomy Village in Georgia.

Avid Astronomer

Reged: 07/29/11

Loc: Spain
Re: Survey, how many miles will you drive for a Dark new [Re: toepick]
      #5413943 - 09/10/12 07:10 PM

I live in a suburb (5 miles from downtown) of Valencia (Spain), a 750.000 people city.

I have to drive NW 45 minutes for a SQM=21.3 site (3600 ft high) and, also NW, 90 minutes (because of very bad roads) for a SQM=21.6 site (4300 ft high).

I've been also at a SQM>21.6 site, 5 hours driving from here (7500 ft high), but this place is too far and too costly (gas is $9/gallon here).

The 21.6 site is dark enough and the 21.3 site is cheap enough to reach ... I can choose what's more important: money or darkness

Fernando

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9541

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics