Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
TOM O
sage

Reged: 03/30/06

Loc: Joshua Tree CA.
Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia new [Re: barasits]
      #5401881 - 09/03/12 09:24 PM

Here's a quote from the organizers of Association for Public Art....

"Rafael Lozano-Hemmer’s projects with interactive lights have been safely and successfully staged in cities all over the world, including Dublin, Hong Kong, Lisbon, Liverpool, Lyon, Montreal, Rotterdam, Toronto, and Vitoria- Gasteiz Spain. The lateral light pollution of the beams is smaller than any street light, advertisement or corporate logo found on Philadelphia’s buildings. Also, the lights are tightly focused and are never pointed towards nearby buildings, flight paths or sensitive ecological areas.

"Open Air" coincides with the peak period of bird migration over Philadelphia. The artist is working with Audubon Pennsylvania and partner organizations in a collaborative effort to minimize and mitigate any effect of the project on migratory birds."

This is on their fb page. https://www.facebook.com/assocforPublicArt?ref=search&sid=677131930.2896771940..1&v=wall

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia new [Re: TOM O]
      #5402389 - 09/04/12 05:42 AM

Quote:

effort to minimize and mitigate any effect of the project on migratory birds

This is a lttle bit insincere - the best way to mitage this is NOT to do it in the migratory season. I.e. they don't actually care!

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia new [Re: Tonk]
      #5402820 - 09/04/12 11:41 AM

Just a reminder to new and returning visitors to this thread. Please, see my post (it's 3rd on the first page) and consider sending your opinion to the Knight Foundation. A written letter is always better. Emails tend to get lost in all the noise. Thanks for your help.

TOM O
sage

Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia new [Re: Fred1]
      #5403031 - 09/04/12 01:42 PM

Carol,
Is there a way to include news about this thread in a way more CNer's can be brought into the loop? Seems like a timely and important issue that should be getting a higher profile. There are astronomy clubs in the region who don't have a clue about this project? Just a thought...
Thanks, Tom

barasits
sage

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Chicago
      #5403383 - 09/04/12 04:23 PM

Quote:

Just a reminder to new and returning visitors to this thread. Please, see my post (it's 3rd on the first page) and consider sending your opinion to the Knight Foundation. A written letter is always better. Emails tend to get lost in all the noise. Thanks for your help.

Fred is probably right about written letters. Another option is to post comments to the KnightArts web site which has the advantage of reaching a wide audience.

Knight Arts: Preparing for "Open Air" in Philadelphia

The conversation at the Knight Arts site continues. Alas, there is an amateur astronomer defending the "Open Air" project.

Geoff

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5403634 - 09/04/12 07:02 PM

Quote:

Carol,
Is there a way to include news about this thread in a way more CNer's can be brought into the loop? Seems like a timely and important issue that should be getting a higher profile. There are astronomy clubs in the region who don't have a clue about this project? Just a thought...
Thanks, Tom

Tom; if anyone knows of the astronomy clubs in the region, perhaps they can be contacted with a link to this thread, or the link to the Open Air site. We don't allow duplicate threads in the forums.

TOM O
sage

Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5403746 - 09/04/12 07:51 PM

Thanks, Carol. I kind of figured. I wondered if there was a directing link to hot subjects that would guide folks to this thread as a lead in for more info, but, oh well. I have left questions for the Lehigh Valley Amateur Astronomy Society and the Rittenhouse Science Center, as well as the Franklin Institute. The fb pages made it easy to leave a post. The Franklin Institute took my posted question down.
Thanks, Tom

https://www.facebook.com/RittenhouseAstronomy

https://www.facebook.com/TheFranklinInstitute?ref=search&sid=671735097.2243181252..1

https://www.facebook.com/lvaas.astro

and, finally, the main group of Audubon for the area is

http://www.wyncoteaudubon.org/
this is the group working with the artist.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

#5403908 - 09/04/12 09:22 PM

At the September 9 meeting of my club, The Chesmont Astronomical Society, we are hosting a science writer from a major Philly newspaper who will be speaking about a number of topics including advice on how to get our voice heard in the media and how to raise awareness about light pollution.

The Delaware Astronomical Society plans to run an article about the Open Air Project in their upcoming newsletter.

The Chester County Astronomical Society has Dr. Derrick Pitts of the Franklin Institute speaking at their upcoming meeting on September 11 and I hope to attend that to speak with Dr. Pitts about the project.

I've also provided information to the Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers about my position on the project and I hope to involve them further.

With the project having been "successfully staged in cities all over the world, including Dublin, Hong Kong, Lisbon, Liverpool, Lyon, Montreal, Rotterdam, Toronto, and Vitoria- Gasteiz Spain" I don't expect this to go away. I see this as a blow, a severe blow, to the battle for light abatement as more and more people are getting on board with enthusiasm for this Project, many of them see light abatement as an invitation to increasing crime. As one of my esteemed club members said, "This is a teachable moment." We can't stop it but we can make our voices heard to help bring to "light" a new direction for similar intended projects.

How long before such "art" comes to municipalities smaller than the major cities listed above? The lights of the Open Air Project in Philadelphia reportedly can be seen for up to 10 miles!!! I live 22 miles outside of Philly and I'm still appalled at the idea.

Everyone who visits the CN forums should be equally affronted and I again implore all to write to the Knight Foundation, not just in cyber space but with real paper and a stamp and suggest to them how better $250,000 should be spent.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5404138 - 09/04/12 11:35 PM

Tom, Thanks! Great job of contacting them, and posting the links here!

TOM O
sage

Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5404242 - 09/05/12 01:30 AM

All for one and one for all. Just taking a moment to spend time doing worthwhile stuff! Thanks, csa/montana, fred1, barasits, Tonk, and everyone else! Dark Sky Scott, IDA, BRAVO!
Best, Tom

TOM O
sage

#5404257 - 09/05/12 01:54 AM

Fred1, I see my post on the Rittenhouse fb page is now gone, as well. I'm wondering if a letter simply goes into the waste basket as easily as posts to the open forum are discarded? seems like high level censorship is active? Glad you are a home boy carrying the flag and torch! Thanks, Tom
ps..Great gibbous Moon tonight!

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5404680 - 09/05/12 11:05 AM

Hey, I actually got 2 e-mail replies from the artist himself. In the 2nd e-mail, he remarkably stated, "Mark, I never said I was not contributing to the (light pollution) problem. I am fully aware that this project pollutes and all I am saying is that I am doing my very best to mitigate those effects."

He dropped the bird issue after I pointed out that his site states that they are using his project to study the effects of such projects on migrating birds. I stated that the fact that they're conducting a study indicates that they don't know what the effects will be.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5405146 - 09/05/12 03:49 PM

Quote:

... I am doing my very best to mitigate those effects."

If this is an example, then he needs to try much harder.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5405178 - 09/05/12 04:08 PM

It'd be a great night for all of you out there in your basements building your EM Pulse guns to go out and give them a try....

TOM O
sage

Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5405303 - 09/05/12 05:30 PM

Rittenhouse responded with a note that they have disabled the public comment section on their fb page pending official club review. They are all talking about the impact of uproar over this project. Their club is right in the heart of the Franklin Institute. For some interesting insight, an old post from the Danver Tricities Museum show regarding Benjamin Franklin brings a bitter taste to Philadelphia in realizing that Ben is coined as being one of "America's first environmentalists."
http://www.tchd.org/benfranklin.htm
Interesting! Ben was an amateur astronomer and he surly loved the night sky...

barasits
sage

#5405336 - 09/05/12 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... I am doing my very best to mitigate those effects."

If this is an example, then he needs to try much harder.

The latest defender of Open Air on the Knight Arts web site makes the same argument, i.e., that the artist is taking steps to reduce the environmental impact of the project. It's a classic dodge. The "mitigating" actions are mere window dressing.

Geoff

TOM O
sage

Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia [Re: barasits]
      #5405349 - 09/05/12 06:01 PM

I hate the word "mitigation" It simply means to trade one bad idea for another... As if waste is acceptable under the clause of saving another idea? Here is what Ben says about the waste of energy vs, a simple change of attitude and adjusting the clock to bring thrift in something simple as a "candle"
By the way, he and Thomas Jefferson shared a great passion for star gazing!

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/astronomy/2008/03/03/ben-franklins-letter-to-the-editor-re-saving-daylight/

Folks in Franklin's adopted "home town" need to read their own history....

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia [Re: barasits]
      #5405352 - 09/05/12 06:05 PM

and we have the right to "mitigate" our actions such as blasting it and the idea behind it all over the intranet and other social networks.....

barasits
sage

Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia [Re: TOM O]
      #5405426 - 09/05/12 06:49 PM

A thousand thanks, Tom, for posting the link to Franklin's letter to the editor. I hadn't run across this letter before. Great wisdom delivered with great wit!

Geoff

barasits
sage

Re: Open Air art project in Philadelphia [Re: csrlice12]
      #5405468 - 09/05/12 07:15 PM

I don't suppose Lozano-Hemmer would consider the off switch. Seriously though, if he could arrange for a light pollution offset in the same way that he proposes to offset the carbon footprint of the project, I might be willing to cut him some slack.

For instance, Lozano-Hemmer might attempt to persuade the city of Philadelphia (both public and private sector lighting users) to turn off all non-essential lighting for 3 hours per night for the length of his show. A truly formidable task, but it would demonstrate that he is serious about environmental impact.

Geoff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11902

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics