Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Canít blame them new [Re: Eric63]
      #5967651 - 07/12/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

Now, another good option, which I think is why our cottage has never been broken into in 45 years, is hire locals to maintain it! WE have a local elderly fella who cuts the grass for us once and week and he drives by everyday to check on the place. Another local does renovation work for us when we need it and yet another does snow removal in the winter. I think the words get around that either this place is closely monitored, or that we are OK because we hire locally.. so back off

If I were to build an observatory in the country, I would find a local person to help maintain it. These guys know everyone around! Best security money can buy.

Lived in the country, and it boils down to being neighborly. When my neighbor (about 1/2 mile away) was gone, I'd stop by his place occasionally to check it out, and he'd do the same for me. If you own dogs, and most people living in the country do, it's always neighborly to ask someone to drop by and feed them while you are gone (depends on the dog and if it knows you or not). I had horses, so somebody had to come in every day anyways to feed/water them. I don't believe I was ever gone more than 2-3 days tops.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Canít blame them new [Re: Eric63]
      #5967783 - 07/12/13 04:50 PM

Quote:

Now, another good option, which I think is why our cottage has never been broken into in 45 years, is hire locals to maintain it! ! Best security money can buy.

Our beach cottage at Sunset Beach is 180 miles and 3 hours away from our primary residence in Raleigh, and it's sometimes weeks (especially in winter) beween times when we or a guest is at the house. HOW-EVER we have the fortunate benefit of having had an eccentric couple living immediately next-door who are long-time permanent year-round residents who are well known in the local area, and are frequently visibly active around their house. Over the years, I've been careful to cultivate friendship with them. I've never suffered any break-ins, and the couple of instances when something notable has gone nefariously missing from the house were 99%+ certain to have occurred during rare instances of misplaced trust in allowing someone to use the house while I was not there, and in neither case were the items of substantial financial value. In one case, I suspect that the son of an adult friend whom I'd let have a key may have borrowed or cloned dad's key without permission and made surreptitous day-use of the house, and it was the pals they brought with them who did it. (This friend's kids have been guests at the house a few times while I was there, which is why my neighbors probably thought nothing of it). I changed the locks, and haven't had that particular problem again.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1054

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics