Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
NeilR

Reged: 02/18/08

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: Mike E.]
      #6249253 - 12/12/13 02:39 PM

Mike- I just want to be very clear that I am not advocating using that "feature" (for Jack's benefit). It is clear that the feature was abandoned at some point, certainly by the time screw in legs were introduced, but I don't recall any discussion of why. Not that my memory is the final arbiter of 15 years of forum threads.

(1981 is the last year, on that 100 scope inventory, where push-in legs were reported. The first screw-in leg was reported in 1980. And one odd-ball in 1978 bought from Questar used, and may have been a bit of a Frankenstein. There are often transition years for features where old stock was partially used up, or whatever reason)

I do think it is helpful to understand the historical implications of these things. Caveat Emptor.

That probably just illustrates my intuitive grasp of the obvious, but just in case

Your observation is very interesting. However, I have to ask- was it that way when you bought the scope, and were you the original owner and/or certain you were the first to get it serviced?

I ask because it is not clear to me how that could be changed without replacing the plate. The two "window mount holes", and the various base attachment holes, and the AC plug hole all have to align just so and could not be changed without drilling new holes and leaving others uncovered. And that brings up the issue... are bottom plates ever replaced with the same identical serial# re-inscribed to the new one? I ony vaguely recall this issue coming up a long time ago.

What I am saying is that it is *possible* that the scope came that way from the factory, and by 1971 the factory might have decided not to support that feature. Perhaps in response to receiving too many dropped Q's? But in any event raises the question of why the "useless" holes would even be put into any plate if the intent was to eliminate window mounting. IOW I am confused

If would be interesting to hear from others that have later push fit legs to see if their holes line up. Especially any scopes that are known never to have been back for a service (which may indeed be rare 40+ years later).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Question and Advice new [Re: NeilR]
      #6249390 - 12/12/13 03:58 PM

Hi Neil,

I would not advocate using "that" feature either. I understand we are the third owner of our Questar. It came with the old style 40x-80x and 80x-160x marked eyepieces, so I contacted Mr. Reichert to order a new diopter adjustable eyepiece holder. He told me that the scope had been serviced in November of 2010. The base plate was in its present position when we acquired it.

The four screws holding the base plate on are equidistant, so in our case, rotating the baseplate 90* would line the holes with the leg openings; of course, I have no intention to do so.

NeilR

#6249396 - 12/12/13 04:01 PM

Quote:

Hi Neil,

The four screws holding the base plate on are equidistant, so in our case, rotating the baseplate 90* would line the holes with the leg openings; of course, I have no intention to do so.

But would that not place the oval shaped hole over the AC adapter in the wrong place? As I mentioned, that is why I thought it was not just an "assembly option" that a user could change by reorienting the plate, or an assembly mistake.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#6249400 - 12/12/13 04:05 PM

Quote:

But would that not place the oval shaped hole over the AC adapter in the wrong place? As I mentioned, that is why I thought it was not just an "assembly option" that a user could change by reorienting the plate, or an assembly mistake.

Not sure, as I have never taken the base off .

NeilR

#6249410 - 12/12/13 04:13 PM

Quote:

You don't have to do it. Just think about what happens if you rotate the plate 90 degrees. The AC adapter is now sitting under solid metal and unusable, and the oval AC adapter hole is over top of some useless place

It's what makes this strange, and why I was asking if anyone else with a similar era Q has the same alignment. The only thing that makes sense is that the holes were drilled in the wrong place and the assembler missed it since "window mounting" may not be something they are thinking about.

With a sample size of 1 we can only speculate...

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#6249436 - 12/12/13 04:28 PM

I see there is a photo on page 22 of the Questar instruction book, showing that the AC adapter hole is located between the legs, the same location as in the photo of the Questar belonging to Jack.

NeilR

#6249446 - 12/12/13 04:34 PM

That suggests that your drive motor is misaligned by 90 degrees, because your bottom plate and Jack's bottom plate appear to me to have the same alignment of all the holes.

Never having disassembled a Q, or even taken the bottom off mine, and not even having the same setup (I have PGII) I can ony assume that the internal parts can be aligned anywhere inside, more or less? Maybe someone who has can answer that question.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#6249476 - 12/12/13 04:48 PM

I'll check this out when I have the proper size screw driver.
With all the rain here in the UK I have plenty of time on my hands. Lol.

Les
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/22/06

Loc: Maryland
      #6249552 - 12/12/13 05:23 PM

Is that really a solar filter in the wood solar filter box? It is labeled "variable aperture" and "use at less than 25 ft" and looks to be in a state of decay.

ralphfoss

Reged: 03/25/05

Loc: Bangor, Maine
      #6249701 - 12/12/13 06:48 PM

I Have both # 198 and #7-349 and the early Questar had no year indicator. If fact at least # 198 does not have a way to attach a tripod easily. I bought a separate plate to mount on the bottom of the base of the Questar so I could attach the Questar to the tripod. The early off-axis sun filters did not screw in I am told.

Ralph Foss

munirocks

Reged: 10/21/13

Loc: Bourne End, UK
Re: Question and Advice new [Re: Les]
      #6250286 - 12/13/13 04:50 AM

Quote:

Is that really a solar filter in the wood solar filter box? It is labeled "variable aperture" and "use at less than 25 ft" and looks to be in a state of decay.

We've covered this already, and decided that it's a close-focusing diaphragm currently in the process of scratching the full-aperture solar filter behind it. Read the bit of paper in the box.

State of decay? The solar filter has a reflective coating. I see a state of decay when I look in the mirror in the morning, too, but it's not the mirror!

munirocks

#6250293 - 12/13/13 05:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You don't have to do it. Just think about what happens if you rotate the plate 90 degrees. The AC adapter is now sitting under solid metal and unusable, and the oval AC adapter hole is over top of some useless place [snip]

The screws visible on either side of the AC connector indicate to me that is attached to the bottom plate, so will rotate with the bottom plate. To find out if the other innards (wires, motor, etc.) will allow you to do this, you'll have to talk to a man with a screwdriver.

munirocks

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: munirocks]
      #6250320 - 12/13/13 05:58 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

...you'll have to talk to a man with a screwdriver.

...or a hacksaw. Here's a pic from the cutaway thread.(Thank you Darren Drake.) The motor is bolted to the ceiling of the base. The power connector (missing from the cutaway but you can see the holes) is bolted to the floor of the base. Looks to me like you can put the base plate in 2 or 3 positions without the electrical connector interfering with the motor.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#6250337 - 12/13/13 06:27 AM

Quote:

...you'll have to talk to a man with a screwdriver.

NeilR

#6250354 - 12/13/13 06:49 AM

Yea, brain lock. Wasn't thinking about the AC socket being on the end of a wire.

Copernicus1473

Reged: 07/06/12

#6250382 - 12/13/13 07:25 AM

NeilR,

The two "thumb screws" have O-rings around the wide end and do fit into the two leg holes. The silver cylinder coupler and black adapter have the same thread size and thread into the optical tube rear port. I still have to take the pictures of the 3 legs and hope to post the pictures later today. I contacted the "Mother Ship" again about the service records and Jim stated that "I do not have any way to excess the old files." Also I asked about the serial number and Jim said that the number should have always been the same except of the "R" was added later.

NeilR

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: Copernicus1473]
      #6250390 - 12/13/13 07:32 AM

Quote:

NeilR,
...I contacted the "Mother Ship" again about the service records and Jim stated that "I do not have any way to excess the old files."

Hmmm... the end of an era?

Quote:

NeilR,
Also I asked about the serial number and Jim said that the number should have always been the same except of the "R" was added later.

Strange, that is at odds with the image I have of #114 and what I have read otherwise over the years.

munirocks

#6250466 - 12/13/13 08:52 AM

I don't think a single negative result from an enquiry marks the end of an era. In the single instance that I've dealt with Jim R. at Questar he was very helpful. The posts in this forum imply that he has been so helpful for so long that it is almost taken for granted that he will do the running around, gratis, when asked to do so. However, the Q records go back 60 years, and some of those for the older models might be archived offsite or otherwise require extra time to dig up. It is a great courtesy of Jim to supply the information he does, but I don't think he should be expected to automatically research the service records of every used Q that gets sold. Can you imagine what your local car dealer would say if you asked him to find and give you, for free, the service records of a car that you just bought from someone else?

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#6250476 - 12/13/13 09:01 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

The socket head screws on our O-ring plugs looked unfinished, so it was simple enough squeeze on some plastic caps such as bobs knobs uses to make the plugs easier to grip, and add a nicer appearance.

Copernicus1473

Reged: 07/06/12

#6250581 - 12/13/13 10:05 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Picture 1 of legs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4990

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics