Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: VikingRaider]
      #5471693 - 10/15/12 02:33 PM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tom Andrews]
      #5471750 - 10/15/12 03:11 PM

It seems the degree circle, being mounted to the top board, would move along with the "needle". How did you stabilize the degree circle so it does not move?

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5486003 - 10/23/12 08:35 PM

Great thread!

I have recently upgraded from a Z8 to a Z12, WOW! what a difference. The Z12 weighs a little more than the Z8, which I was able to schlep the tube and mount outside together as a single unit. With the Z12 I need to make 2 trips and I set the tube on the floor of the basement and carry out the mount. The tube sat upright on top of the columation adjustment screws and it made me cringe every time I did it. I am planning on upgrading the springs, secondary screws, milk jug washers, and flocking. While looking at the mirror cell this afternoon I noticed and extra set of 3x M8 holes in the mirror cell. I had just finished upgrading a friends old Coulter Odyssey 8. The gentlemen at Coulter did one thing right, they added rubber feet on the bottom to keep the columation screws out of harms way. Well one thing let to another... Now she can sit in the upright position on the floor without pressure on the columation adjustment screws.

Sorry for the poor picture quality it was an impromptu upgrade, all I had was my phone.

M8 hole in the mirror cell:

Rubber feet from Home Depot:

Milling some wooden feet:

Feet in place with an M8 cap screw:

Rubber feet attached:

Feet in action, notice the clearance for the columation screws:

Enjoy,
Jaimo!

Edited by Jaimo! (10/23/12 11:57 PM)

yonkrz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/16/06

Loc: SW Minnesota
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Jaimo!]
      #5486133 - 10/23/12 10:01 PM

Did the same to my last three z dobs,works great.Besides protecting the collimation screws its just a great way to set the ota when moving your setup around.

gene williams

Reged: 01/17/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: yonkrz]
      #5491958 - 10/27/12 05:22 PM

Excellent idea! I will be doing that to my 10" soon...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: gene williams]
      #5492326 - 10/27/12 10:00 PM

I never set a Dob tube down vertically. I have a a long bench, like a park bench, in front of my house. First I bring out the OTA and rest that horizontally on the bench. Often I'll let it lie out there for an hour to acclimate. Then I'll take out the Dob base separately, position that where I'll be observing. Finally I'll bring the OTA over and set it in the Dob base.

I never saw the necessity of setting the OTA up vertically on the ground, the floor or where ever. That never occurred to me as being necessary or convenient. When I store a Dob, I either have the OTA resting in the Dob base, or the OTA is lieing horizontally on a shelf at the back of my closet along the floor.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5492334 - 10/27/12 10:04 PM

There is no way I'd be able to schlep my Z8 outside on the Dob mount as a unit. That's just not happening. My telescopes are stored upstairs. I'd have to carry the Z8 - as a unit - down a flight of stairs in the house, then out onto my porch, and down another flight of the stairs to the ground. Like I said, that ain't happenin'!

Taking out my Z8 or larger scopes requires at least two trips: one for the OTA, one for the base.

Mike

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

#5492451 - 10/27/12 11:36 PM

Quote:

There is no way I'd be able to schlep my Z8 outside on the Dob mount as a unit. That's just not happening. My telescopes are stored upstairs. I'd have to carry the Z8 - as a unit - down a flight of stairs in the house, then out onto my porch, and down another flight of the stairs to the ground. Like I said, that ain't happenin'!

Taking out my Z8 or larger scopes requires at least two trips: one for the OTA, one for the base.

Mike

When I had the Z8, I had built my own base with substantial handles & a ball bearing lazy susan. It was a nice upgrade from the MDF base that it had originally came with. I was able to carry the scope and mount up a flight of stairs from my basement to my observing site, and the Z8 had become my grab-n-go scope.

The Z12 is a little larger... It may take 2 trips.

Oh, and lift with your legs.

Jaimo!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5492475 - 10/27/12 11:56 PM

I suspect you must be substantially taller and stronger than I. That would be a very awkward schlep for me.

I still have to deal with the base that came with my Z8. It is rather heavy and wide. I don't have the expertise, tools or space to make my own base, so I have to modify or accept what comes with the scope.

Mike

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
      #5492920 - 10/28/12 10:50 AM

A question on your base. Is it identical to the original? Did you modify the sides or bottom parts at all in shape or dimension?

Thanks

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: tag1260]
      #5493035 - 10/28/12 12:10 PM

tag1260,

No, I have not modified my Z8 base in any substantial way. It is the original in form, weight and girth. I doubt that - for most folks -it would be an easy haul with OTA attached. Personally, I wouldn't move it more than a couple feet as one unit.

I have made some minor modifications. I added a metal basket to the opposite side from the observer, and I attached a couple clamps so I could insert a pole for binoculars or an observing stand. But I recently removed all that business.

Also, I lowered the eyepiece rack to get it out of the way of the springs from the altitude bearings. And I replaced those springs. IME, the altitude-bearing springs that came with the base were much too stiff and strong, too difficult to detach and reattach the OTA. A real PITA, IMO. My replacement springs are much easier to use.

Mike

evil16v

Reged: 08/18/12

Loc: N.E. Kansas
      #5493313 - 10/28/12 04:15 PM

wow!... how did i miss this thread?

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: evil16v]
      #5493436 - 10/28/12 05:45 PM

Thanks. It didn't come out any lighter? I would have thought you have to make it from lead to equal the weight of that particle board these mounts are made of!!!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5493546 - 10/28/12 07:02 PM

tag1260,

Please be sure to direct your questions to Jaimo. He is the one that made a replacement Dob base for his Z8, not me. I wouldn't know how to start to do something like that. I lack the expertise, tools and working space to construct a Dob base. I'm strictly DIY, not ATM.

I still have the original Z8 Dob base that mine came with. IME & IMO, the original Z8 Dob base is heavy, wide, awkward and very difficult to move with the OTA attached. I wouldn't do it.

Mike

gene williams

#5493584 - 10/28/12 07:34 PM

Well, I found that I don't have the pre-drilled holes so I guess I will be drilling three holes for the new feet. I really love being able to safely set the Zhumell dob down since it is so stable in that configuration. It's also easier on my back...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5493692 - 10/28/12 08:51 PM

Place a long bench in front of your house. You can't beat that as a place to rest your OTA while you bring out the Dob base. The OTA is much more stable and secure lieing horizontally than standing upright. I really don't get you folks wanting to set that long tube upright. A nice gust of wind, or a rambunctious pet or child, and bye-bye OTA.

Mike

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5493705 - 10/28/12 09:04 PM

With rubber feet you can place your ota anywhere as you set up. I might not do this with slow F ratio solid tubes as they are tall and skinny with a relatively small footprint.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

#5493744 - 10/28/12 09:33 PM

Quote:

A question on your base. Is it identical to the original? Did you modify the sides or bottom parts at all in shape or dimension?

Thanks

Same size as original, it seems the Zhumell's size for the Z8 works very well. I have made modifications to the new base I have built for my Z12... When I get the chance I'll snap a few photos and post. It may take a few days with the up coming Hurricane...

Jaimo!

gene williams

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5493842 - 10/28/12 10:44 PM

Yes I agree Gastrol. It's great to set in the upright position for a minute or so while setting up. I typically set it upright in the kitchen before I take the base out the back door, but I wouldn't want to try it with a slower scope. I don't have kids to worry about, and the thing is just ultra stable in that configuration.

It's not an issue when I transport it to the dark sky site since the OTA is laying sideways on the backseat of the car. However, I almost always take the 14" to the dark sky site rather than the 10".

In the end, it's all a matter of preference, and I really like the idea of the rubber feet. It will be my next project...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5493929 - 10/29/12 12:11 AM

I keep my Z8 secured on its Dob base in a corner of my bedroom upstairs. When I want to take it outside, first I unhook the OTA and rest it lengthwise on my bed. The OTA is always in one of three places: in its base, on the bed, or on the bench outside. I would never chance setting an OTA vertically on its own.

When I take my 10" to the dark site, it's in a large OTA bag. When I remove it from the bag, I immediately place it on the Dob mount. There's a lot of dew in our area, so I bring along a tarp that I can lay the OTA on at the end of the observing session, while I wipe the dew off with towels. Only then do I return the OTA to the bag in my vehicle. The idea never crossed my mind to rest any OTA vertically unless it's in the Dob mount. Not something I'd ever do.

Mike

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45338

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics