Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tim L]
      #5893602 - 05/31/13 03:01 AM Attachment (55 downloads)

I haven't done to much to our Z8 yet, (new) but really love it. It is a very nice and smooth light bucket

Just done a few things, I have a big list so it's a start I really didn't want to add weight unless I have to. So I had this small pouch laying around, that was perfect. It holds my batteries and has a 2nd zip pocket for weights "if needed" it has a magnet on the bottom so I can remove it, or put it where it is needed.

I really like this scope, it's our first Dob.. I always wanted one.. but just never picked one up. like it so much when we move "not soon enough" we will be living in a green zone area and will be picking up a 12"

Edited by AstroTatDad (05/31/13 03:06 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5898350 - 06/02/13 06:51 PM

I'm making a foam dew shield and a detachable extendable handle for the slide. I went with the built-in slide for financial and weight reasons. Having to add more lenses into the light path is also a drawback of the exterior filter holders.

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5898387 - 06/02/13 07:28 PM

I have a few lights that are bugging me when I'm out front viewing, there not bad but I know there going in the tube. So I need to make a Dew shield too and get it flocked. I'm going to do all this at once... also going to add new hardware and a baffle just have a mod day

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5898409 - 06/02/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

I'm making a foam dew shield and a detachable extendable handle for the slide. I went with the built-in slide for financial and weight reasons. Having to add more lenses into the light path is also a drawback of the exterior filter holders.

I consider a dew/light shield a must-have for Newts/Dobs.

And yes, a Barlow or OCA is a drawback for any filter wheel, turret, binoviewer or the like that is stacked into the optical train. But it is inevitable unless the owner cuts down the truss struts (if a truss scope), moves the primary up (in a solid tube), or replaces the focuser with a low-profile. In all those cases, you might also have to replace the diagonal with a larger one - producing a larger CO and degrading contrast - or risk vignetting the image. Not a good thing.

Mike

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5903011 - 06/05/13 12:21 AM

I realized Sunday night that I have my dream rig now. Very little left to do- everything was working great. Got to use my new DGM NPB filter in the filter slide. It keeps my Orion Skyglow and Lumicon O-III company. My mega-modded Z12 (see signature) was cooled, the sky was clear, steady, and dark. Galaxies, globs, Veil, Crescent, Swan, the night was a keeper. Pink Floyd sound track and no mosquitoes!

My new resolution is to find something to post on this thread often enough to keep it on the front page until we get it turned into a tacky. If you love this thread too, help me out...

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

#5903020 - 06/05/13 12:26 AM

cool Ken,

How did you like the DGM? thinking about getting it.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5903034 - 06/05/13 12:34 AM

I liked it better for the Omega and Crescent. I've not begun anything systematic like David Knisely but kept clicking back and forth between my much-loved O-III and the NPB. I bought the NPB new for $130 shipped. It's a cosmetic 2nd. It has some flaw somewhere (nothing optical) that I didn't find. Saved me $20. You hardly ever see these filters for sale used. To me, that means people like and hold onto 'em.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

#5903155 - 06/05/13 02:23 AM

Quote:

The easiest way I've found to add counterweights to a Dob, is with a fanny pack / sports pack filled with sealed plastic baggies of lead shot. Strap it below the OTA, close to the bottom end. If necessary to make sure the pack won't slip down the tube, place opposing Velcro strips on the back of the pack and on the OTA. I doubt very much if there is any easier, simpler, more compact and more logical way to add a counterweight to a Dob OTA.

Yes there is actually. I have a round magnet opposite my focuser, but on the mirror end of my OTA. I used duct tape to keep it on the lower OTA and it has been there for three years now. Simple, but effective!

Oscar56
sage

Reged: 01/25/13

Loc: Summerland, BC
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5903201 - 06/05/13 03:44 AM

Yes there is actually. I have a round magnet opposite my focuser, but on the mirror end of my OTA. I used duct tape to keep it on the lower OTA and it has been there for three years now. Simple, but effective!

What is the weight of your magnet?

KGoodwin
Vendor (AstroLive Software)

Loc: North Georgia, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Oscar56]
      #5906152 - 06/06/13 02:25 PM

Anyone else have their spider tightened way too much from the factory torquing and deforming the spider vanes? I took everything apart and straightened and switched vanes around to get the best possible match between all 4 vanes which is enough to put the secondary tilt within the range of adjustment of the collimation screws, but it's still not really right.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5906207 - 06/06/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The easiest way I've found to add counterweights to a Dob, is with a fanny pack / sports pack filled with sealed plastic baggies of lead shot. Strap it below the OTA, close to the bottom end. If necessary to make sure the pack won't slip down the tube, place opposing Velcro strips on the back of the pack and on the OTA. I doubt very much if there is any easier, simpler, more compact and more logical way to add a counterweight to a Dob OTA.

Very good. That's the equivalent of the primary counterweight I have toward the bottom of my OTA. That's where it should go.

The weight shouldn't go on the back of the OTA to be shifted up and down the tube every time you reposition. I stopped doing that many years ago and haven't gone back.

But try just that one weight if you have a 70mm finder, Telrad, dew shield and maybe a binoviewer or filter wheel or heavy ES eyepiece in the focuser. Then you might also need a counterweight directly opposite the finder, etc. to compensate for that cluster of stuff. Otherwise when you point the OTA toward zenith, the scope might move in the direction of the finder, etc. And then if you take your big heavy ES eyepiece or etc. out of the focuser, you'll have to compensate for the loss of that weight. That's where the magnetic weight right by the focuser comes into play.

Well, all this works and gives me smooth, fluid motion of the Dob mount without altitude detention springs or other gizmos.

Mike

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: KGoodwin]
      #5907235 - 06/07/13 12:44 AM

I rotated my spider 45 degrees to accommodate my Astrocrumb (original style) filter slide. I tightened each of the vanes until it looked like the tube would start to pucker. Several of the Z12s I've bought had the vanes WAY tight and had 4 dimples to prove it.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5912043 - 06/09/13 09:01 PM

Practically instant response from the proprietor and equally fast shipping at payment.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tim L]
      #5917839 - 06/12/13 10:10 PM

Yabbut...31,000 hits and going on 400 posts. Can't get no moderator love! Compare these numbers to the other threads.

Herr General

Reged: 06/20/13

Loc: Ohio
      #5948880 - 06/30/13 11:24 PM

Just bought a Z12 used yesterday (thanks Nick, if you're reading this!) and had fun reading through this thread. I have a few questions though, as someone who's new to big dobs.

1) What's the best way to move it around? Someone suggested a hand cart of some sort, but I'm not sure where to find one- hardware store maybe? I have practically nonexistent muscles as a skinny college kid so it's extremely difficult to move the OTA around alone.

2) Mine didn't come with a collimation laser, but I have a little collimation cap that came with my Orion 6". I did some preliminary collimation when I got it, but is it worth it to invest in a laser?

3) I haven't used a finder scope before, so I suppose I should ask this as well- does it make enough of a difference when it's not "correct" orientation that I should invest in a right-angle finder? I'm already looking into getting a Telrad- I've used those before and they're very useful.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Herr General]
      #5949096 - 07/01/13 04:16 AM

Welcome to one of the best threads on one of the best forums on CN. I have a Z12.
1) I use a Strap-A-Handle (gotten at Staples) to help maneuver the OTA. I take the dust cover off the front and have one hand there while the other holds the Strap-A-Handle. It takes some practice to get it right. I don't use a 2-wheeler. They can be quite bumpy with their solid tires.
2) You'll be okay using the collimation cap as you get started. Lots of people HATE the laser collimators that come with dob kits. Read up on the various popular collimation tools and put out feelers for other scope owners near you that might let you try their tools out. I've just bought the very popular TuBlug and am awaiting its arrival later this week.
3) There are many opinions on the correct suite of finders. I firmly believe in using a straight 9x50 and a Telrad in combo. Hearing you say that you've used a Telrad and liked it tells me that you have it together. Many like the convenient angle of a Right Angle Correct Image (RACI) finder. I can't stand 'em. I use the both-eyes-open method with my finders to know where I'm pointing.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

#5954818 - 07/04/13 02:02 PM

I'd run out of ideas for posts to keep this thread active, and then...
My astrobuddy and I were out with my Z12 having a grand ol' time when my focuser suddenly got a hitch in its giddyup. I couldn't turn the main focus shaft while the fine focus seemed okay.
Here's what happened. The small "grub" screw (hex key set screw) right by the fine focus knob had worked itself inward until it fell into the tiny void inside the shaft housing. It was happy there until I'd turn the knob and a straight pin in the shaft would come by and lock up or grind past the offending wanderer. I got everything apart, inspected, and back together. I put a microdrop of superglue on the hole's threads before returning the screw to its home. I'd recommend that you check your focuser and do the same. The hole in the housing may be too loose. Good luck.

plaidmelon

Reged: 09/28/12

Loc: Manchester, Michigan
      #5981794 - 07/20/13 06:19 PM

Great ideas here.
Bought my Z10 used with no mods. So far I've disassembled and adjusted, flocked, added a knob and installed setting circle w/ digital inclinometer. All of these have made a noticeable difference in viewing ease and pleasure. Seems like I need some counterweights, so that will be next.

Is there anything else the more experienced Z-owners deem to be a must-do?

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: plaidmelon]
      #5982888 - 07/21/13 12:02 PM

I have an XT6 and am considering either buying a new Z8 (can't afford the Z10) or a used XT8. I know with the XT8 I would want/need to upgrade a lot on the scope just to get it at stock Z8.
I know the best jump up would be the Z10 from a 6" but as I said, don't have the extra funds unless I get one used. How big a difference is it from a 6" to an 8" dob? I really love those Z dobs and now with all the mods posted here a Z will/would be a killer scope to last a life time.

St Pete Keith

Reged: 10/09/10

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5983268 - 07/21/13 04:28 PM Attachment (66 downloads)

I guess you could call this a fully modded Zhumell...

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43121

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics