Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Pinbout]
      #4895243 - 11/03/11 07:45 AM

All very valid points.

Well, 6063 T3 aluminium shouldn't be making a big difference, though. I'd worry more about the length of trusses, diameter (for the dynamic rather than static behaviour) and how narrow they make the attachments at top and bottom to make the triangles as stubby as possible. That looks right, and even though I don't like those spider attachments (shared by the Obsession UC) as far as collimation stability is concerned (I'd rather see one lower ring to keep trusses short and an upper ring to support the spider vanes), it helps to keep the trusses short.

A 6 point cell can be sufficient for a 16" mirror, especially a sandwich mirror (which is both thick and light). It's not a problem even for my monolithic 33.5mm thick mirror.

The edge support needs to be good, but the sandwich mirrors are both a blessing and a curse there (a blessing because they are, again, thick and light, a curse because the COG plane doesn't have a "proper" edge to support).

I'm not fond of Lazy Susan bearings either, but they can usually be made to work more or less well with some felt (unless the scope's heavy enough to press the rollers into the surface beneath).

Mind you, I wouldn't design the scope this way. But then, I would certainly not design a Meade LightBridge the way it is designed either .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Mary B]
      #4895708 - 11/03/11 01:46 PM

Quote:

Until someone actually uses one you can't make comments about performance. It is an unknown.

I've pointed out my concerns, and see no need to rehash them. If I gave some people something to think about, then I did my duty.We can all now sit back and wait until someone buys this telescope and gives us a review.

roverich

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: East coaster
      #4896390 - 11/03/11 08:39 PM

I went to there site on ebay and asked a question about the location of there store ..According to another astro site they are located in Falls Church Va....But i asked them if we could take a look at one before we bought it ..The guy replied that they dont have a shop , Or display to check out and the scope would ship from London England ... but the ebay store says it ships from Hong Kong ...They wont get any of my money ...I think i am going to buy a light bridge and either buy a base for it or make my own ...

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: roverich]
      #4913429 - 11/13/11 10:07 AM

All of the issues pointed out for this scope are valid, but they apply equally well to EVERY ultra-light/ultra-compact dob. The thing about this one is that it's under $2K! I'd like to know how THIS scope deals with those issues, but I guess no one has one, so it remains an unknown.

/Ira

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Reged: 05/02/07

Loc: Hong Kong, US
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Ira]
      #5134668 - 03/21/12 11:02 PM

http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=856

Thank you,
Tong

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: hubble-optics]
      #5135146 - 03/22/12 09:54 AM

See everyones comments. You need someone taking this scope around to stAr parties and exhibits like NEAF. And being located in hong kong is no excuse. The internet should be your only marketing tool. Wasn't there an article? If you want to sell you have to beat the pavement.

CAVEMASTER
sage

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Southern Indiana
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: 94bamf]
      #5135638 - 03/22/12 02:38 PM

Hubble Optics Lightweight Sandwich Key Features:
Thermal and Structural optimized open core, and dynamically stable closed
back design

Rapid Thermal Response: cools down about 10 times faster for mirrors up to
24", and about 20 times faster for mirrors between 25"-36",f than a solid mirror
of equal thickness.

Outperform both conventional solid and closed cell lightweight mirrors in term
of image quality in the real world observation

Simple Flotation Mounting

Lighter than the solid mirrors (with weight saving about 20% for mirrors up to
20", and about 40% for mirror larger than 20" comparing with the solid
mirrors of equal thickness)

Cost competitive and unprecedented price/performance ratio

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Reged: 05/02/07

Loc: Hong Kong, US
      #5136490 - 03/23/12 12:09 AM

Hi Danny,

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes we see all the comments. Yes, we are most likely going to NEAF (still working with Alan at it now), with some very exciting new products (will be announced in the Vendor forum soon).

See You at NEAF 2012!

Thank you,
Tong

alexvh
sage

Reged: 07/29/07

Loc: South Africa
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: hubble-optics]
      #5137641 - 03/23/12 06:49 PM

Tong

I'd just like to say I'm extremely excited about this product. Thank you for bringing out another option in the dob Market. Im looking forward to seeing user reviews for this one!
All the best!

kotlavaibhav

Reged: 03/04/12

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: alexvh]
      #5204973 - 05/04/12 03:17 AM

i just bought an 18 inch f 4.08 sand wich mirror from HO .. will test it soon claimed 1/18.4 lambda 1/88 rms 0.995 strehl

bhuloka

Reged: 03/06/12

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: kotlavaibhav]
      #5205304 - 05/04/12 10:17 AM

OK I'm new to observing. I have an 8" SCT, and want a big scope, too. But it has to be portable, or I'm not interested. This Hubble 16" seems like the only ticket. Is there anything else that is at all similar in portability, 12" to 16"?

bhuloka

Reged: 03/06/12

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: bhuloka]
      #5205306 - 05/04/12 10:20 AM

And is this unit supplied with a plate glass mirror, or a pyrex one? Does it really matter?

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: bhuloka]
      #5205638 - 05/04/12 01:34 PM

They use the Hubble Optics sandwich plate glass mirror. It is somewhat lighter and cools faster than a solid mirror.

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: kotlavaibhav]
      #5205657 - 05/04/12 01:47 PM

Quote:

i just bought an 18 inch f 4.08 sand wich mirror from HO .. will test it soon claimed 1/18.4 lambda 1/88 rms 0.995 strehl

The HO figuring and testing procedures are not capable of turning out a true 0.97-0.995 Strehl mirror (i.e. one in which it correctly characterizes the overall mirror performance). I have never seen an independent test result on an HO mirror giving a Strehl ratio this high.

I don't accuse them of lying exactly, just of converting a more limited test result that does not adequately characterize the whole mirror, and converting it to a "S-Ratio" as if it did, and not stating this.

I note in passing that in a recent issue of Amateur Astronomer that a new premium large fast scope - Teeter perhaps? - had its mirror quoted with a similarly fictitious Strehl ratio based on a limited test value, but there they took pains to state that this was the case.

HO mirrors can test at 0.92-0.93 however, but some also test at 0.453, and that one probably shipped with a ~0.98 label also:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EAukTx1FsUv5w9k68TGVeW-dNIUQ2yriwqQMNaEf7mxgYZ2gYD9baNZsDaYLOm9TWdIH8X6luGj6C-iv248c6c_b7DkCOQ/dale%20eason/Hubble16.pdf

I just bought an 18 inch F/4 HO mirror by the way, knowing this. I'll give a shot and maybe refigure if necessary.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: sixela]
      #5206230 - 05/04/12 07:42 PM

Quote:

You just have to make your own light shield; it's hardly rocket science.

My comments/concerns were hardly limited to the light shield. The whole design looks shaky to me. There is a place for these ultra light/compact telescopes. My main point is that after owning several different telescope designs, I believe the traditional Dob provides better stability and viewing characteristics than the other designs. There are some ultra lites being made in Europe that intrigue me. The design in this post does not. Maybe some will buy the new Hubble UL 16 and write a review here on Cloudy Nights. Personal use or a review based on personal uses is the only way we will ever know.

andrew0414

Reged: 02/11/12

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Traveler]
      #5206348 - 05/04/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

I saw that just the structure of a 14 inch is just 1.1K!
How do they do that?

Guys. I think it's because its made in China. Actually they send everything from honkong! (Hongkong is China... I am not sure because I am not Chinese...)
hope this helps!!!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: GeneT]
      #5206422 - 05/04/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Maybe some will buy the new Hubble UL 16 and write a review here on Cloudy Nights. Personal use or a review based on personal uses is the only way we will ever know.

Didn't you see the Hubble Review?

sniperpride

Reged: 01/04/12

#5206434 - 05/04/12 10:07 PM

Its more of a review of the modifications he had to do to it...

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5207558 - 05/05/12 05:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe some will buy the new Hubble UL 16 and write a review here on Cloudy Nights. Personal use or a review based on personal uses is the only way we will ever know.

Didn't you see the Hubble Review?

I am looking forward to hearing from some others who purchase and use this telescope. We need as many vendors making good products as possible. Hopefully, this telescope will be another good one.

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 [Re: andrew0414]
      #5208185 - 05/06/12 01:04 AM

Hong Kong is a Special Adminstrative Region of the PRC (Mainland China), since the expiration of the treaty with the UK in the 1990s.

Hubble Optics is based in Taiwan which is also China. Both Taiwan and the PRC agree there is only one China, Taiwan has traditionally claimed that it is the legitimate government of all of China, the PRC claims the same. Taiwan has never asserted independence from the mainland. (This is why Taiwan is not represented in the UN.)

My Hubble Optics mirror is labelled "made in China", I believe it is manufactured in Taiwan.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21630

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics