Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
starman345
Wait, I'm Thinking

Reged: 07/06/10

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: bhuloka]
      #5326349 - 07/20/12 05:31 AM

Sounds good. How did you find the setup and breakdown? Collimation is easy to achieve?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bhuloka

Reged: 03/06/12

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: starman345]
      #5327705 - 07/21/12 12:39 AM

I found setup and breakdown to be very easy. I just put the mirror box/rocker box on a mat on the ground, unfold and tighten the altitude bearings, attach the 8 truss tubes, put the secondary cage on top of that, then collimate. Collimation was easy using Glatter laser and Tublug. It will be easier when I replace the secondary collimation screws with finger-turnable cap screws. This is the first scope I have ever collimated, but it didn't seem difficult.

WhoGoesThere

Reged: 07/26/12

#5340627 - 07/28/12 08:36 PM

I just ordered one. Just a the basics and a shroud. I guess I'll report back in a couple months.

starman345
Wait, I'm Thinking

Reged: 07/06/10

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5341163 - 07/29/12 05:26 AM

Quote:

It will be easier when I replace the secondary collimation screws with finger-turnable cap screws.

I agree, I have the cap screws, much easier than fumbling with an allen key and chancing dropping it on the primary. I don't understand companies cheaping out on such little things that make such a big difference in ease of use of their products.

TechPan6415
sage

Reged: 07/29/12

Loc: Aspen, Co
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: starman345]
      #5349517 - 08/02/12 11:22 PM

Hmmm..I have been looking at an Orion XX14i at 120 pounds...but this might be the ticket, far less room in my apartment too!

bhuloka

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: TechPan6415]
      #5350065 - 08/03/12 11:40 AM

I'm still tweaking mine. Don't have enough free time right now, and weather is still bad. I'm still trying to get the friction right on the azimuth bearing, which is too loose for my taste. I'll probably upgrade to a Moonlight focuser with a filter slide. Not sure how I'll attach the filter slide to the cage, though. Might have to get the Moonliht focuser with the filter swing arm option because of this.
Has anyone tried that?

But, yes, the scope is compact for a 16". I just pick it up and put it in the car, then a second trip for the truss poles and secondary cage and my eyepiece bag. That's it. Pretty easy.

I attach a few small weights to the rear of the mirror box to balance it out. I use some photographer's "super-clamps" from Bogen (costly, but I had them already). Works well.

I ordered a synta shoe, a synta foot telrad mount, and a telrad flip mirror/dew shield from Scopestuff, and this also works really well.

There is some coma, so I think I will be getting a Paracorr.
I want to borrow one to test it out first, though. I'm accustomed to the 8" Edge HD, which is very sharp, so coma bothers me. I wonder if some of the coma I see is due to me not collimating correctly? (I have Catseye sight tube, Glatter laser and tuBlug.)

Also, Tong is very helpful, and always responds promptly to my emails. I'll report back...

bhuloka

#5350069 - 08/03/12 11:42 AM

The synta shoe and foot is for mounting the Telrad, of course.

TechPan6415
sage

#5350090 - 08/03/12 12:03 PM

Are you getting coma with all the eyepieces or just the ES/82 30mm? And in terms of AZ friction, did you try the rubber stopper trick that the guy did on the Astromart review? Love the super clamp trick for weights, I have about 4 of those in my grip drawer....

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5350102 - 08/03/12 12:16 PM

Quote:

I attach a few small weights to the rear of the mirror box to balance it out. I use some photographer's "super-clamps" from Bogen (costly, but I had them already). Works well

pics please...

bhuloka

#5350112 - 08/03/12 12:22 PM

Yeah, I used the 5/8" rubber stoppers. Not enough friction.
Also, amount of friction was not even all the way around the 360 degree rotation. Azimuth ring not perfectly round, maybe? Anyway, I'll try 7/8" rubber stoppers next. I think that will work. I'll have to squeeze them in there, but that is just what I want.
Coma is just in the wide eyepieces, I think. Really, I haven't had a decent night to check these things out in detail.
4 super clamps is exactly the number I use. Sometimes 3.
Before I thought of those clamps, I was using a bottle of ketchup, which I strapped to the rear. Worked great;-)

bhuloka

#5350114 - 08/03/12 12:23 PM

Oh, yeah, pics will be coming in a few days. Maybe this weekend.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5350159 - 08/03/12 12:53 PM

Using clamps for weights is a nice idea and probably effective, but I hope that's just a temporary solution as if it were me I'd like a more elegant and aesthetically pleasing counterweight solution for an otherwise fine looking instrument.

TechPan6415
sage

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5350176 - 08/03/12 01:06 PM

At this point, I want to hear that the optics are fantastic and that collimation is staying put. I can fab the daylights out of metal at my friend's workshop, do it all the time. I would probably drill some attachment points for weights and make a light shield out of black gatorboard, gaffer's tape and velcro all the way around..

For example, my personal solar powered "Space Shuttle", about midway down the page:

http://kodachromeproject.com/blog/

I want to order today, but he seems to be running at 2 months and the price is up $300. All that said, this seems to be a much better bet for my small apartment needs than even a XX12i...

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5350238 - 08/03/12 01:49 PM

nice field camera techpan.

TechPan6415
sage

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5350345 - 08/03/12 02:59 PM

Quote:

nice field camera techpan.

Thanks! It's a killer camera at a great price. My go to kit weighs less than 20 pounds on my back, did a 4 mile hike to 12,000 feet with it last night..

I just put my order in the UL16...and a bunch of ES eyepieces...wonder if I can find a way to write this stuff off, LOL!

bhuloka

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5350453 - 08/03/12 04:19 PM

I just haven't had the scope out enough under decent conditions to say anything definitive about the optics. I did have a super Shapiro view of the moon last week, but haven't tried any more difficult targets (doubles) under good seeing. In fact, seeing has been poor, so no star test yet.

Re collimation, the laser does move a bit when going from 35 degrees to vertical. Is it too much? I dunno. It stays in the donut hole of the center mark (well, almost) but not in the center of it. I'll try to do some pics this weekend.

bhuloka

#5350472 - 08/03/12 04:30 PM

Super "sharp" view of moon. Damn autocorrect.

Gastrol, the "super clamps" are actually pretty nice techie-looking things. You can check them out at B and H Photo online. Black rectangular chunks of metal, they are. Perfect for this use, really, but I think they cost a bit too much.

bhuloka

#5350498 - 08/03/12 04:45 PM

The focuser that came with my scope doesn't seem to work. Bummer. It worked first two times out, then went loose. Knobs spin, but nothing happens unless I push the drawtube with my fingers. I tried tightening the tension set screw, the knob attachment screws, etc., but no luck. Tong says "send it back", but that means no focuser for a month or two. I want to fix it, but he told me not to take it apart. It's a standard GSO focuser, so it should be fixable, no?

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5350549 - 08/03/12 05:26 PM

tell him to send a new one now and you'll send the defective one back when you get the new one. why should you be out of a focuser for so long.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 [Re: Pinbout]
      #5350590 - 08/03/12 05:46 PM

Just in case you weren't aware of, and only if you have two set screws on your focuser, don't tighten the bottom set screw. The top screw sets tension and should be tightened somewhat while bottom screw should be left loose. The bottom screw locks the draw tube when tightened.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22180

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics