Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: bhuloka]
      #5395277 - 08/30/12 04:58 PM

In my case there is plenty of space between the end of the drawtube and the light path. The annular baffle also can be completely inside the drawtube if you like. The point is to make sure that it restricts the view angle properly when the drawtube is positioned at the point of focus. As Alexis comments, another benefit is to reduce the size of the large baffle screen opposite the focuser. If you have a bright sky background this baffle can itself reflect considerable light into the fov.

I've also wondered about the Hubble scopes if they have any sort of baffle behind the primary, and any sort of dew control for the secondary?

JimC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5395482 - 08/30/12 07:21 PM

Hey jim did you make that self supporting spider?

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5395605 - 08/30/12 08:46 PM

Yep! Used my new welding rig.

JimC

kroum
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/28/08

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5420378 - 09/14/12 03:24 AM

So, any news regarding these scopes? What do the owners have to say after some more time under the stars?

It seems too good to be true even with the challenges of ultra light designs. For some, this design is the only feasible way to own 16 inches of aperture.

zipthelipp

Reged: 09/10/12

Loc: Bayside NY
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: kroum]
      #5420912 - 09/14/12 12:57 PM

I like the scope but I have don't understand why at NEAF they wouldn't let anybody touch and move around the scope???? (I seen this in the ONLY YouTube video on this scope) I wish there were more reviews and more feedback from actual owners. Plus where are they located?

hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: zipthelipp]
      #5421191 - 09/14/12 04:08 PM

Hubble Optics is located in Hong Kong.

bhuloka

Reged: 03/06/12

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: hbanich]
      #5451995 - 10/02/12 01:47 PM

I had the 16" scope out again last week, for about the 7th time so far. I feel that I have not got the scope properly collimated. Optically, it's nice and bright; a good light bucket for dim objects. For example, globs resolve very well at 207x) But planetary views are not as good as other scopes. I hope this will improve as I collimate more accurately. (My center spot was off by 2mm, and my secondary centering is not correct.)

Mechanically;
altitude has a bit too much stiction, and so is a little jerky. Also there's a pronounced bump as the folding altitude bearing joint passes over its support. Annoying.
Azimuth is too loose, but has a sticky spot at one point in rotation, using a rubber stopper to add friction. I need a better idea to add friction evenly to azimuth motion.
At very low altitude, there is vibration which does not settle down; this makes high magnification difficult at low altitude. Not a problem above, say, 35 degrees, though.
Balance; this part is quite good. Big eyepieces don't pose a problem, with only 3 small ballast weights attached to the mirror box. (about 1 lb. total)

So far, the views are bright, and the scope is portable.
But more attention is needed to collimation (spot centering, focuser squaring, secondary placement, etc.), as well as to movement improvements.

TechPan6415
sage

Reged: 07/29/12

Loc: Aspen, Co
      #5456920 - 10/05/12 05:52 PM

I'm about ready to give up on the whole idea of a scope. After several delays in shipping the structure, both boxes arrived at customs in SF on the 27th. The big box left customs and arrived at my doorstep on the 1st. But the truss tubes still show inbound to customs, so I have no scope. I finally had to call customs because if it does not get here today, there will be no one to sign for it for nearly a month. So to this day, there is not ONE positive review of this scope that includes the optics....

Should have sucked it up & spent another 3-5 grand for an effing Obsession UC...

zipthelipp

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 new [Re: TechPan6415]
      #5457010 - 10/05/12 07:10 PM

TechPan, I was going to buy the Hubble Optics 16 but I couldn't get any positive feedback so I went with the Obsession 15UC. I hope your dilemma works out and good luck with your toy.
Mark

TechPan6415
sage

#5457140 - 10/05/12 09:44 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

I know this is not Hubble's fault, I just can't believe my luck on this in terms of timing. I am hoping I can get ahold of the post office tomorrow and make other arrangements for delivery if nothing kooky has happened in customs.

People seem to like their mirrors, it can't be any worse than a Lightbridge which just weighs far too much for my needs.

Here it sits for the weekend, with no truss, a case of brand new 82 and 100 degree eyepieces and a bino viewer...damn....

bhuloka

#5457604 - 10/06/12 08:54 AM

Here's a link to a thread about an ATM-er in NZ who used a lazy susan azimuth bearing on his 25" dob. It was too loose.
He added a teflon bearing to his baseboard to solve the problem. Of course, the HO UL16 has no baseboard. But I do bring a plywood groundboard with me to place on the grass at local dark sites. So I'm thinking of adding something similar to that groundboard.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5161640/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

bhuloka

#5457612 - 10/06/12 08:58 AM

BTW, Techpan, that light shield you made looks great. But how much does it weigh? What is the solid material and where do you get it?

TechPan6415
sage

#5457883 - 10/06/12 12:26 PM

It's a 1/8th thick, 20" x 30" sheet of black core gatorboard, weighs maybe an ounce at most. You can get it from any arts and craft store. I assembled it with aluminum tape and covered that with black gaffer's tape. It's pretty stiff and easy to work with, should be fine.

zipthelipp

#5457900 - 10/06/12 12:39 PM

looks great, any setting circles?

TechPan6415
sage

#5460035 - 10/08/12 02:39 AM

So I upgraded the springs, re-did all my collimation and decided to take it for a real spin tonight. My wife loaded up dinner fixings in our little pop-up camper fridge, I loaded the scope and we headed for the place I got the inspiration to get back into astronomy after a 25 year hiatus, Independence Pass.

The skies were perfectly cloudless, the forecast was for 3/5 transparency and 3/5 for seeing, good enough for DSOs. When we got to the top of the 12,100 foot pass, it was a bit breezy and cold, 29 degrees. As my wife made dinner, I set up the scope, everything was fairly close after a 21 mile windy mountain drive. After the scope was set up, it was still fairly windy which blew the scope around like a wind sock....I am definitely going to have to come up with some Nina tensioner for the azimuth bearing.

I arrived at a near-perfect collimation after about 3 minutes, set at around 55 degrees since I was going to be favoring the zenith. After zeroing my Telrad in on Polaris, I went and had dinner until it got dark. 40 minutes later, I put the ES 30mm in and went work. The views of star fields looked pretty good in the 30, crisp, sure, could use a Parracor for the edges, but overall, looking good. I then used the ES 14mm 100 on M13, M57 and M27 and was blown away, just amazing contrast, sharp stars and beautiful images overall. I then used an 8.8mm 82 by it self, then the Siebert 25mm Black Knight binoviewers and OCA with the three sets of ES eyepieces.

As the night wore on, the wind died down and the seeing got pretty stable. We looked at a few NGC objects, M31 in the 30mm and played with all the eyepieces. At about two hours in, I checked collimation and it had drifted a tiny bit so I re-did since the wind died down.

Overall, I think I got a good scope, certainly some of the best views of DSO's I have seen with very good stars. I am both excited to have this scope and relieved that even though I have a few more minor tweaks to do, everything works well. Of course, having a night of cold, dry and still air at 12,100 feet does not hurt either. My wife had never seen any of these objects and loved it.

Hopefully this will help others decide if it is the scope for them.

bhuloka

#5460047 - 10/08/12 03:03 AM

How were the Jupiter views, Techpan?
Did you do the Epsilon Lyrae (double double) test?
(For these targets, my Edge 8" was superior in sharpness,
but it could not mach the 16" for resolving globular clusters; the 16" was much brighter, thus easier to see resolved detail on the faint stars of globs. M57 was also lots better in my UL16".)
What was your impression of the alt and az movements?
Did you find tracking to be jerky, or smooth?
Notice any bump in the alt when you come to the folding bearing joint?

TechPan6415
sage

#5460333 - 10/08/12 10:13 AM

Hi, we had to come home before Jupiter was in a good position, above the 20 degree mark. I did not really do any tests as much as just a general session of objects I know well.

As far as the movements, like I said, too smooth on the azimuth and the little bump on the alt, but I think I can do mods to overcome those for the most part.

I am at the airport right now, have a super busy schedule for nearly a month. So hopefully when I get back, I can do some more observing sessions and check out the planets better. I'm not really going to be able to compare this scope to another since it is the only one I plan on getting and have no immediate plans for any star party gatherings, the Denver club is too far and needlessly close to the city for me...

I just think from what I am seeing at the moment and how utterly compact this scope is, I can overcome the issues in mechanics and really enjoy it. I sure did last night...

zipthelipp

#5460504 - 10/08/12 12:08 PM

TechPan sounds like it was a success! Good luck. Post pics of your scope.

TechPan6415
sage

#5460590 - 10/08/12 12:46 PM

Waiting on my connecting flight. Yes, I think so far it is looking good. I wish I would have remembered to look at double/double last night, I have a feeling it would have done well. The stars in the center of the dumbbell looked pretty crisp in the 14 & 8.8mm EP's. M13 was about the best I had ever seen it, looked great in the bino viewers with ES 16 / 68's.

Overall, once the air calmed down, things really starting looking good, I even saw the spiral arms in M-51 when it was riding pretty low in the sky so it certainly pulls in more light than I have ever been used to.

I think the way a few of us have looked at this scope is that it is a much more compact and lightweight version of a Lightbridge or Orion 16, so I was not expecting optics on par with an obsession and I am still not. It really is super portable, I had no problems with carrying the mirror box and rocker/base down a flight of stairs to load in the car, very grip able and not too heavy. The rest of it is cake too, tubes, upper ring, etc.

But it is relatively untested, so I think most would be a little nervous about what a brave few have just laid out a couple grand on. It's built solid and for the most part, sensible. So all this in the price range of a Lightbridge looked good to me and thankfully, turned out good thus far...

I just wish I could be at home tonight to take it for a late night spin around Jupiter...

bhuloka

Re: Let's talk about the Hubble Optics UL16 [Re: TechPan6415]
      #5460629 - 10/08/12 01:09 PM

Well, I think I'll just throw my Ultra-portable UL16 in a suitcase, and head out West, then. Here in Maryland, it's been a cloudy summer. I've only seen the spirals in M51 once, back in June. After getting the scope working, that's the next thing; getting an air travel-ready case(s), for going to some good locations. Anyone have experience or ideas for travelling with this type of scope? Case suggestions? Perhaps someone with an Obsession UC15" knows what will fit?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22312

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics