Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: My Research led to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: jeff heck]
      #5380286 - 08/22/12 12:26 AM

Teeterage:

- Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobTeeter
Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rockaway, NJ
Re: My Research led to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5380621 - 08/22/12 08:07 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Great thread! I just wanted to check in and let everyone know that, unfortunately, we were not one of the recipients of the grant. The winners were announced yesterday on www.MissionSmallBusiness.com along with the amazing stat that nearly 70,000 businesses applied. I knew our chances were slim at best, but I didn't realize they were THAT slim. Everyone here on our team, including my wife and my part time help appreciate that everyone voted for us and showed us such great support and desire to see us grow the business. For now we'll have to put many of the ideas back on the shelf that we were going to finally explore had we won the grant, but we didn't come out of this endeavor completely empty-handed. Through a twist of fate we were able to move our operations from two workshops which we were spread across to one, much larger, commercial space. More details to follow in the Vendors forum...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: My Research led to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: RobTeeter]
      #5380734 - 08/22/12 09:41 AM

Sorry about the Grant, but you still have all our support!

To the OP: Lucky You!! The research you did obviously paid off. Teeter is one of the best custom made scope makers in the business.

auriga
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/02/06

#5380890 - 08/22/12 11:10 AM

Hi, Rob,

Sorry you didn't get the grant, but I am sure you will continue to pioneer. Your reputation for top quality is remarkable.

Have you thought of putting the wheels in a different place?

Did you happen to notice ee the threads Dissent on Dob wheels, and Dissent on Dob wheels revisited?

Since you do custom work, this might give you one more option to try.

Bill Meyers

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5381252 - 08/22/12 03:04 PM

A'ight fellas, you heard the man. No grant, so let's move to Plan B...START ORDERING TELESCOPES!

- Jim

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: My Research led to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: Busguy]
      #5381567 - 08/22/12 06:40 PM

I've never seen a complaint on Cloudy Nights about a Teeter telescope.

jeff heck
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: stl,mo.
Re: My Research led to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: GeneT]
      #5381610 - 08/22/12 07:18 PM

Jim, I like that battery holder you have on the rockerbox. Is that custom or can anyone order one?

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: My Research led to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: jeff heck]
      #5381715 - 08/22/12 08:28 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Quote:

Jim, I like that battery holder you have on the rockerbox. Is that custom or can anyone order one?

Scopestuff.com has them.
I also made my own from plexiglass bent around.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: My Research led to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: GeneT]
      #5382564 - 08/23/12 11:16 AM

Quote:

I've never seen a complaint on Cloudy Nights about a Teeter telescope.

I don't have one (that's a complaint). Wish I did.

fnowat

Reged: 06/12/12

Loc: N.E. Illinois (Chicago suburbs...
      #5529296 - 11/20/12 01:51 AM

Quote:

I'm in the middle of the production cycle.

#@$^ My tongue is bleeding! I wanted to be in your shoes! I bit my tongue instead of swearing at your commitment. LOL. Congratulations Joe the “Busguy” on your new purchase! I wish I had your “crib notes” from all of your research. I am going through this process now. I have a target date of the purchase, but hate the wait list that I will be on. The Mrs and I have a purchase to experience prior to the scope so I cannot participate on Rob’s “good faith deposit” program.

I also wanted the low focal (fast) and keep my feet on the ground. Worries of others falling off of a ladder during star parties or at outreach programs really frighten me (even after insuring the bugger)! So that narrows the search down some. I convinced my wife of the “need” to go out to Tucson for the 1st Annual ASAE (Arizona Science and Astronomy Exposition) to meet with Rob Teeter and answer some of my questions.

It was amazing how down to earth Rob and Heather were (are). I was practically willing to write out the check for his scope as other people would come up to his booth and I kept offering Rob to “go get them” as I was almost a sell-out and he should not pass up a chance to have a deal. I tried to be patient as so many others viewed his 18” scope he had present… but WOW what craftsmanship! I thought that I had all of my questions answered there.

The Mrs and I also were reluctant to get an invite (and a ride out there- Thanks Dennis) to the Tucson Amateur Astronomy Associations dark site at TIMPA. And while out there…one of the members brought out his 18” Teeter (Jim O’Connor) and I was honored to view through a Teeter production! So again, I have seen, I have gawked, and I have drooled over the products which so many before have become satisfied with.

Joe I hope that you will keep us all abreast of the progress of your new companion?! Congratulations again,
Frank

Busguy

Reged: 06/14/07

Loc: Kentucky
Re: My Research led to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: fnowat]
      #5530269 - 11/20/12 02:11 PM

Hi Frank,
It's interesting, yet not unexpected, how time changes perspective on all things. I made a financial commitment to purchase this scope based on several factors which included the ability to pay off the deposit going forward and having the ability to quickly pay off the remainder afterwards. Well, I don't have to tell you or anyone that life happens, things break, outlays are made and the next thing you know, you're still attacking the bill that won't die. I'm fortunate I'm employed in such a manner I can even contemplate such a bucket list purchase. We're in good stead, and yet I'm not chomping at the bit to pay the second portion having just paid off the first.

Which brings me to my second point, I have a love-hate relationship with the Scope log on Rob's site because I see my completion date is September 2012. It makes me laugh and want to ask: "When does the September scope get completed?" I really look at it to see where I am in the queue. Yet, I'm fully aware how hard Sandy hit Gordon and Rob as well as the surrounding area. So, it's no big deal for me. I'll sock more money away to have the second payment done and wait patiently. It's just too easy to understand things going on there in Jersey exceed my desire to see my scope's completion date.

Rob made me a tempting offer to put some of the shipping costs to better use by meeting him for a scope tutorial. I intend on getting together with him in some fashion for that purpose. Details yet to be sorted.

If you're interested in my crib notes... The biggest decision that I literally spent years on was what type of scope did I want and did I ever want to get into imaging or even leave that option open. Once I decided I'm a dedicated visual guy, then it became easier. The best bang for the buck traditionally was always reflectors. I didn't think I'd go the truss dobsonian route and was convinced I was going to go with Celestron 14" Edge. But I kept doing a comparison to the light gathering capability of a larger dobsonian to all the light folded in that Cassegrain. I was a reflector guy before, to there I return.

Then it basically came down to Obsession, Starmaster, and Teeter. If you look at the options you desire, shipping, and pricing at the aperture you want... something interesting happened. I was convinced my sweet spot aperture was 18". I could look at the different focal ratios of the scopes Dave, Rick, and Rob were pricing and then I noticed something unique to Rob's 20" faster scope. It priced much lower than Obsession and Starmaster. I had to do the calculations twice and fire off an email to Rob to confirm I had the correct assumptions. It became the deciding factor after familiarizing myself with his build quality.

Ask away if you want to know anything else.

Best and good luck with your decision as well.

Joe

Edited by Busguy (11/20/12 11:22 PM)

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5530741 - 11/20/12 06:11 PM

Bill, as a fellow curmudgeon:
Don't forget their, there, and they're
or
me, myself, I
or
Tweek (an audio product), tweak (adjusting, fine-tuning)
or
my favorite: "All that glitters is not gold" Chances are likely if you can't see what's wrong with that sentence, it won't pay to discuss it.

Last, don't forget a lot of CNers are NOT native speakers of English. I laugh, because many of them make fewer errors writing in English than we do.
When all else fails, as my mother used to say, "Chechez la dictionnaire!"

Enough digression:
to anyone contemplating a Teeter's telescope: you won't be disappointed. Mine is a constant joy to use.

The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #5530772 - 11/20/12 06:31 PM

Joe

PM sent.

About Teeter's scopes, look at the truss ring.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3256

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics