Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Discovery telescopes-nervous
      #5452694 - 10/02/12 09:29 PM

I am, or was, about to buy a Discovery telescope. I had the misfortune, or good fortune, to read the BBB rating. One person asserted that they took his money and never delivered.For obvious reasons, along with the reputed flakiness and alleged dishonesty of the owner, I am having serious second thoughts about going through with this. Before I put my very hard earned and scarce cash into what I hope is a great value, I would appreciate hearing about peoples' experiences, particularly recent purchases, with this company. Thanks!javascript:void(0)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wavelandscott

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: aatt]
      #5452785 - 10/02/12 10:27 PM

The scopes are nice, I have a second hand one. Maybe you should consider buying through a retailer...I think OPT might handle their scopes. This would five you a buffer and advocate...

okieav8rModerator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: wavelandscott]
      #5452822 - 10/02/12 10:56 PM

Quote:

The scopes are nice, I have a second hand one. Maybe you should consider buying through a retailer...I think OPT might handle their scopes. This would five you a buffer and advocate...

Or, consider buying second hand as Wavelandscott has done.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5452861 - 10/02/12 11:19 PM

OPT does carry Discovery. I talked to them several times last winter. They seem to have a pretty good channel of communication with Discovery, and as I understand, you won't be billed until shipment.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5453298 - 10/03/12 10:00 AM

I purchased a set of mirrors from Discovery about a year ago and received a good product with good customer service and support. I'm a satisfied customer, for what one experience is worth. Keep in mind that very few (if any) companies have 100% customer satisfaction.

In addition to the suggestion of dealing through Discovery's vendors, I also suggest using a credit card for the purchase. I went through a recent nightmare with an unscrupulous R/C vendor. I called my credit card company and explained the problem, and they promptly investigated and recovered my money, including the shipping fees. Check to see if your credit card offers similar fraud protection.

Ed D

Al Miller
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/25/08

Loc: South, Texas
      #5453343 - 10/03/12 10:39 AM

I've heard the delivery times can vary greatly however, I ordered a 15" PDHQ earlier this year and received it in less than a month. I ordered through OPT, and had no issues, albeit, the optics for the scope were in stock (at Discovery) at the time so they were pretty much ready to go. I would ask OPT to check on that for you before ordering. As for the scope, I really like mine. It's BIG though, and the mirror weighs a ton. Optically it is very good. The build quality is OK but has room for refinement so they are "work in progress" scopes. That's OK with me since I don't mind doing some modification. I used to own Coulter Odyssey scopes, and those really needed help! The owner of Discovery (can't recall his name) even called me on the phone when I submitted a question (through OPT) about the spider assembly. My only disappointment is that he didn't send me the replacement he said he would. I thought the placement of the stock spider was too far down the tube and interfered with collimation adjustment. We were going to go with a narrower-vaned spider that would allow the secondary stalk to have more forward-backward movement. Although I would have liked to have that replacement, I have been able to make due without it. My scope provides very nice views so I can't complain about that.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Ed D]
      #5453598 - 10/03/12 02:03 PM

Quote:

Before I put my very hard earned and scarce cash into what I hope is a great value...

Hi aatt- i know precisely what you mean!

Quote:

They <OPT> seem to have a pretty good channel of communication with Discovery, and as I understand, you won't be billed until shipment.

This would be an excellent avenue of approach! Is what i'd do, were i to go at a Discovery Dob.

Quote:

Check to see if your credit card offers similar fraud protection.

I suspect most do. I know American Express is top-tier in this regard. Also an excellent suggestion- even better taken with the above (going with OPT)!

My own biggest astro-blunder was to send a deposit *cheque* to a custom scope builder ("Tscope", by Taychert telescopes)... that was down-the-tubes, now five years & running.

Ended up buying a "used" Dob (the one in my sigline), and couldn't be happier! For sheer bang-fer-buck, this option may be the optimum.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5453845 - 10/03/12 04:48 PM

I bought a 10" f/6 Split Tube Dob directly from Discovery about 4 years ago. The scope puts out really good images but I'm not sure if it was worth the angst of actually working with Discovery to get them to deliver it. The main thing that really irritated me was that they would make promises they knowingly couldn't keep and several times flat out lied to me. On top of that they are notoriously difficult to contact once they have your money. I did a test one time when trying to contact them regarding a shipping date. After attempting to call them using my regular phone with no success, I called them from a different phone to ask about ordering a scope. I got right through. If you decide to go the Discovery route, by all means go through OPT. You will always get someone to answer the phone who honestly cares about your business.

Having said that, the finished product is very functional with very good optics. The only negative 'product wise' is that the sonotube material they use is pretty heavy. Splitting the tube in half helps, but then you have three pretty heavy and bulky components to load in the car for transport...the rocker box, and the two tube halves. The only other complaint is the somewhat spartan mirror cell which uses silicon to hold the mirror to the cell (and that's all). The one nice thing about Discovery is that they will do some custom work. For example I sent them a Protostar curved secondary support and a Moonlite focuser and they installed them at no extra charge.

Here's A PICTURE OF THE SCOPE before I converted it to a truss tube.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick (10/04/12 12:43 AM)

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Patrick]
      #5454334 - 10/03/12 11:08 PM

I would do a bit of reading here on Cloudy Nights about Discovery before purchasing.

Mr. Marbles
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/23/05

Loc: Saratoga Springs, NY
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5454455 - 10/04/12 01:19 AM

I second everything that Patrick said. He and I commiserated over Discovery's dishonest lead times all those years ago. Well, perhaps, I went through it before he did: in 2006. As others have said, Discovery offers a quality product but their customer service needs work. When I did finally get the scope, it was missing the dust caps, telrad, and eyepieces that came with it (although I could careless about those). I brought this to Discovery's attention -- but, to this day, I haven't gotten those things. If you go Discovery, do so through OPT.

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Mr. Marbles]
      #5454548 - 10/04/12 03:29 AM

If you have a good mirror another option is Dennis Steele at DobStuff. I am getting regular updates on my new scope he is building and his communication is great. He includes me on all the decesions for the scope while providing his opinion. I'm a long way from being done but so far A1 customer service and I'm so happy and thrilled. Just another option.

drollere
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/02/10

Loc: sebastopol, california
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5454579 - 10/04/12 04:58 AM

wow, well there are good and bad customer experiences, but if what patrick and marbles say is true (and i don't doubt them), then that's a full stop.

i'd second the advice that you start with resale. if you can't find the scope you want that way, it would be a sign that most users are happy with theirs. (or that few people own them.) otherwise, go through a third party.

and ... grain of salt ... whatever an astronomical *manufacturer* tells you for lead time -- double it. if they promise you a scope in one year, expect two. they lie because they need the business. they deliver late because they are doing the best they can. the other stuff about filtering phone calls and not delivering parts, that's just trash business. otherwise, these guys are working on narrow margins; they are not petrochemical companies.

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: drollere]
      #5454914 - 10/04/12 11:10 AM

Quote:

and ... grain of salt ... whatever an astronomical *manufacturer* tells you for lead time -- double it. if they promise you a scope in one year, expect two. they lie because they need the business. they deliver late because they are doing the best they can.

This is too generalized. Some mirror makers and scope builders are very upfront about lead times and generally deliver as promised. Many or most do not "lie".

Mike B
Starstruck

#5454925 - 10/04/12 11:20 AM

Quote:

....they are not petrochemical companies.

... even tho there apparently are some that behave like the byproducts therefrom.

As a buyer, do your homework as best you can, then purchase wisely with the proper precautions. This is just prudence.

My own example of buying my Dob "used", after seeing no action from my deposit $$ for nearly a year - i waited & watched until an ad popped up from a seller near enough to me where i could drive to see the scope & meet the seller in-person. I drove home with it that afternoon!

Mr. Marbles
professor emeritus

Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Mike B]
      #5455049 - 10/04/12 12:50 PM

Not every telescope maker provides inaccurate lead times -- in fact, so far as I know, most do their best to provide as accurate a lead time as possible. A few months ago, I purchased a Teeter S.T.S. and everything was delivered at the time it was promised. Not to mention Rob was very upfront and responsive during the process.

drollere
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/02/10

Loc: sebastopol, california
      #5455289 - 10/04/12 03:40 PM

i'm appropriately rebuked for stating an eternal truth. but i still recommend putting little weight on delivery times.

these are mostly small businesses, and personal vagaries loom large. a health crisis, a supplier shortfall, a financial need, late receivables, there are a lot of reasons why a small business can't meet a projection.

i'll rephrase for close parsing. a delivery quote, if not met, is not a "lie" per se. but it is often optimistically massaged. missing a delivery quote by quite a lot is also not a "lie", it's just how government work gets done.

i *am* saying that if delivery is delayed beyond double the quoted time, then you finally do have good reason to get moral on the topic.

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
      #5455309 - 10/04/12 04:06 PM

I have a 17.5 Discovery split tube. It is coming up on two years old. It took Six months to the day after ordering which does'nt sound all that long. But it was promised in two months at ordering. It came missing the dust cover and EP. When I complained to discovery, I requested two dust covers instead and both were shipped promptly. When I wanted DSC's for the scope they were shipped promptly. I ordered mine through OPT. If you can deal with being missled on expected delivery and minor details like the EP thing Discovery is a good buy. Large quality aperture's at very little over mass produced expense. Just don't sweat the small stuff. And order through OPT just in case.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #5456295 - 10/05/12 10:06 AM

Well if it was me I would (and did)go with Dennis at DobStuff, also the other option of buying used is worth considering, around my way(Ont: Canada) their have been several used truss dobs for sale at very reasonable prices the selection in th US has to be better,sorry, to much negative has been said in the past about Discovery,DA.

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5456695 - 10/05/12 02:47 PM

I haven't bought a scope from Dennis, but I have bought parts and I second that he is the greatest to work with. Very responsive, always ready to help.

hoof
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Redmond, WA
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: careysub]
      #5457021 - 10/05/12 07:23 PM

I've had two Discovery 'scopes so far in the last 8 years. One was a 12.5" mirror set from a solid-tube 'scope that was re-built into a truss tube. The age of the mirrors was probably 2001 or earlier. Excellent optics. Sold the 'scope (ironically to the person who sold it to me), because I was moving and needed the money.

In '07, I ordered my current 15" truss dob from Discovery, and got it 4 months later. Again, phenomenal optics, and the rest of the 'scope is very nicely put together. When I went to pick up the 'scope in January '08, I got to see the facility that Discovery makes their 'scopes in. Very nice, lots of equipment and 'scope parts in various stages of being built.

So (at least as of '08) the product that Discovery provides is very good. As others have said, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. But I'd rather have *BLEEP* customer service and good products than good customer service with mediocre products, IMO!

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: hoof]
      #5457028 - 10/05/12 07:29 PM

Quote:

But I'd rather have *BLEEP* customer service and good products than good customer service with mediocre products, IMO!

Yeah but accounts of *BLEEP* customer service keep many people from ordering scopes from them in the first place.

aatt
sage

#5457689 - 10/06/12 10:04 AM

Thanks to all of you who responded. Evidently, they have a 15" F/5 mirror ready to go. I went ahead and dropped the financial hammer.Scope should be ready to ship in two weeks.After having a 6"Dob for 14 years (ironically with a Discovery mirror) the 15" should be a real game changer. Hope things go smoothly . Thanks again.

Al Miller
Pooh-Bah

#5457766 - 10/06/12 11:02 AM

The 15", f/5 is a nice scope. I have one as I mentioned before. It's BIG however, and it's a good thing the tube is split. Upper half isn't heavy but, the lower is... particularly when the mirror is in it. Since the mirrors are in stock, you should not have a long wait.

I think you will like it once you get everything working, and I'm looking forward to your first impressions, and first-light reports.

Mr. Marbles
professor emeritus

#5458405 - 10/06/12 08:25 PM

Quote:

I've had two Discovery 'scopes so far in the last 8 years. One was a 12.5" mirror set from a solid-tube 'scope that was re-built into a truss tube. The age of the mirrors was probably 2001 or earlier. Excellent optics. Sold the 'scope (ironically to the person who sold it to me), because I was moving and needed the money.

In '07, I ordered my current 15" truss dob from Discovery, and got it 4 months later. Again, phenomenal optics, and the rest of the 'scope is very nicely put together. When I went to pick up the 'scope in January '08, I got to see the facility that Discovery makes their 'scopes in. Very nice, lots of equipment and 'scope parts in various stages of being built.

So (at least as of '08) the product that Discovery provides is very good. As others have said, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. But I'd rather have *BLEEP* customer service and good products than good customer service with mediocre products, IMO!

Valid point. Good to see the optics were excellent in both scopes, as the mirrors likely came from different sources.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5458471 - 10/06/12 09:28 PM

I bought the 17.5 inch this year, it took 6 months. It's the split tube model. Bought it direct from Discovery. No problems!

Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5459002 - 10/07/12 09:37 AM

I bought two mirrors from discovery last year. Both were in stock though. They shipped very fast and I'm happy with the quality. Even so, after reading this it would make me leery of ordering again. They really need to take some steps to improve their image. Their products seem to be good quality and reasonably priced while being made in the USA to boot so the bad vibes are really a shame.

LateViewer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Manhattan
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Tim C]
      #5459583 - 10/07/12 05:04 PM

I bought my 12.5" f/6 from Discovery a few years back and had no trouble at all. Great mirror. It was in stock and got sent right out. But I have been reading horror stories about the delays in getting their telescopes for as long as I have been reading the forums section on CloudyNights.

That said, everyone seems to really like their scope when they finally get it.

Al

whirlpoolm51
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Loc: pittsburgh,pa
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: LateViewer]
      #5459977 - 10/08/12 12:52 AM

Yes i second DOB STUFF!!! dennis will build you a scope that you will love and cherish for many years to come!! and he is an amazing person that talks you through every step

I got my 16" custom built from him and i still talk to him to this day

I am not trying to bash on anyone or anything but dennis over at dob stuff definetly has the edge over discovery scopes and to be honest they need to step it up or there going to get left in the dust by all the other manufacturers

They are big, bulky and heavy!! not to mention the sono tube is a very very weak structure that doesnt handle moisture well at all

Dennis on the other hand will build you a very light weight , rigid and just plain amazing scope!! and the best part is.....you get to pick the optics!!! or dennis will supply them for you at very very reasonable prices

Okay well thats my 2 ceents hahahahah didnt mean to get off topic from what the OP wanted but i just felt like he should know there are way better options out there that he can feel 100 percent safer goign with

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5460365 - 10/08/12 10:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks to all of you who responded. Evidently, they have a 15" F/5 mirror ready to go. I went ahead and dropped the financial hammer.Scope should be ready to ship in two weeks.After having a 6"Dob for 14 years (ironically with a Discovery mirror) the 15" should be a real game changer. Hope things go smoothly . Thanks again.

Congratulations on your new scope!

Yes, you will get a shock with the first view thru your 15"! I went from an 8" dob to my 16", and the first night, all I did was "Ooooo, Ahaaaaa" with everything I looked at!

We'll be anxious to read your First Light report with your 15" scope!

Scott Watson
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/26/06

Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5460516 - 10/08/12 12:12 PM

To be frank, Discovery sucks. You have far better options.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Scott Watson]
      #5460530 - 10/08/12 12:17 PM

Since he's already purchased; let's be supportive of his decision & his new scope!

HoundDog
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/04

Loc: Louisiana
      #5461102 - 10/08/12 06:56 PM

Quote:

Congratulations on your new scope. I have an 8 inch Discovery dob and have really enjoyed the views it has given me. You have purchased a scope that I'm sure will keep your eyes very happy for many years to come. Please be sure to give us reports as to it's assembly once received and of course, a first light report.
Once again, congrats!

Al Miller
Pooh-Bah

Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Scott Watson]
      #5461748 - 10/09/12 08:44 AM

Quote:

To be frank, Discovery sucks. You have far better options.

Absolutely better options... and at far greater $$$.

AATT has decided to purchase a decent scope. Discovery optics aren't bad, in fact they are pretty good. If desired, a better structure can be built around them at a later time but, the existing one is pretty good as is. We're talking about a Dob here... for visual use. Optics costing hundreds or thousands more just ain't going to make that much of a difference IMHO.

AATT... enjoy the view with your 15" scope. I think you will.

Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Ohio
Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Al Miller]
      #5461865 - 10/09/12 10:26 AM

I bought a used one and am very happy with it, excellent optics.
Used or thru a dealer would be my choice. Don t.

aatt
sage

Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: Don Trinko]
      #5523352 - 11/16/12 07:31 PM

Well-I was nervous about Discovery telescopes as I had seen the company’s atrocious BBB ratings and numerous threads bashing the company and their “lies” regarding delivery times. I found my experience to be completely pleasant and Bill Larsen to be congenial, responsive and never failed to pick up the phone or return my call within an hour of leaving a message. E-mail was also less than twenty-four hours in turn-around. Where does the truth “lie”? As in most cases the truth probably is found somewhere in the middle. Not to diminish the frustrations of those who had to wait almost a year for a scope-that is bad, but fortunately my experience has so far been a very good one.
My mirror was in stock and I went ahead and dropped the $ a little prematurely just so I could avoid a long-term wait situation. The scope was ready in less than three weeks after down payment. One thing-I knew it was going to be big, but wow! This thing is huge and heavy-wheelbarrow handles are going to be in the near future. The scope is manageable in three pieces and the lower mirror/tube is not a bad carry if you grasp the bottom of the tube and a side handle. The grasp -the -handles –at-the -waist and waddle technique is physically taxing and is horrendous for collimation.

This scope is already a keeper, which from my first light experience seems to have outstanding optics-star test looked textbook perfect and the scope has crisp, clear images that pop into focus with little slop-JMI focuser is nice. The day was clear as a bell and when I went out after collimating and waiting for thermal equilibrium it was a solid cloud deck in direct contrast to the weather channels’ hourly forecast. #%#@%$$#! Waited until midnight went out again and sat and waited and by 1 it cleared! Seeing was not ideal, but it was not horrible. Light pollution here is an orange zone –bad enough. Having never looked into anything over 8 inches and having a 6 being my scope for 14 years, the images were much much brighter and a lot of fun, but not jaw dropping in contrast to my experience. The Amazing Grace of aperture-was blind and now I see….Double cluster in a 32mm- the different colors of the stars were obvious-intermittent clouds made it impossible with my tree line to delve into that areas’ rich array of clusters and Andromeda. Crab nebula-no more faint green blob-it was bright and had hints of ropey structure in the center with the edges subtly suggesting faint green flames frozen in time .M81 and M82 –dust lane was obvious with direct vision and showed mottling. Both objects were almost as bright as Andromeda in my 6 inch. Castor split easily and cleanly at low power. All star images were pinpoint in the middle without great distortion at the periphery-no paracorr needed here for this F/5-whew! I did a side by side on the Orion nebula with my 6” and there was not a GIGANTIC difference between the 6 and 15, but there was a BIG difference. Trapezium was distinct and the back part of the nebula had varied texture and obvious 3D smoky structure to it. Whole nebula was like an outstretched astral hand cupping the trapezium-E and F stars were right there. It is obvious that this scope has a very good mirror –great contrast and clarity. Owl nebula was mottled and bright but indistinct.-no eyes this time around. Pleiades had definite nebulosity around the main stars with some structure evident. Jupiter had hints of salmon coloration-serious detail was apparent with several cloud belts continuously present and others popping in and out and a festoon or two in the equatorial bands. Seeing kept me to about 200X -which was a stretch. Moons were round rather than points. M35 and the Auriga clusters were very bright and had good color contrast between some of the stars and were simply hard to ignore with direct vision. Scanning the bowl of Ursa major I found random puffs of galaxies. Moon came up before dawn-detail was way more than I am used to and the entire surface had a topographic map/3D quality to it not unlike the texture of bread crust. Motions of the scope need some work. but are not bad. It is a smoother move than my six, which is going into, mothballs for a while. I did not think ahead and get some lubricant so sticktion was a larger problem below 45 degrees and at the zenith. Mount is pretty stable, but flexes a little bit when you pull and the sticktion digs in its’ heels. A couple of brackets will probably take care of that. The only disappointment of the night, beside dodging clouds and having to turn the scope to a clear patch before I was ready-no globs to bust. I see great potential in this scope and as far as I can tell, the mirror is outstanding. Overall clarity and contrast are comparable or better than my 6” (which has an excellent mirror, that when seeing permits, allows me to get to theoretical speed limit of that scope without any loss of resolution).
Discovery seems to make premium optics and a sturdy functional structure without all of the fuss. I have to say my anxiety about this purchase was ill founded and that I now have a lifetime scope that will perform, with a little tweaking, to a very high standard.

Mike B
Starstruck

#5523453 - 11/16/12 08:54 PM

Very pleased to hear this has turned out so well for ya!

Quote:

...no globs to bust. I see great potential in this scope

Wait 'til you get an eyeful of M13 or 15 or 22... you will gasp, and your jaw will bounce off the pavement!

Wish i could be there to watch it happen...

Major congrats!

Al Miller
Pooh-Bah

#5523514 - 11/16/12 09:51 PM

Congrats on the scope. I had a feeling you would like it. As the other poster said, just wait until you see those globs with it. You will be pleasingly amazed. Congrats again and have a great time observing!

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
      #5523906 - 11/17/12 07:25 AM

"They (OPT) seem(s) to have a pretty good channel of communication with Discovery"

"On top of that they (Discovery) are notoriously difficult to contact once they have your money. I did a test one time when trying to contact them regarding a shipping date. After attempting to call them using my regular phone with no success, I called them from a different phone to ask about ordering a scope. I got right through. "

So it seems that for whatever reason, OPT has the power and ability to communicate with Discovery that is 'far beyound those of ordinary mortals'.

This seems pretty fishy all around.

Scott Watson
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/26/06

Re: Discovery telescopes-nervous new [Re: BDS316]
      #5525671 - 11/18/12 08:28 AM

Some folks have time to waste dealing with 2nd rate businesses. Others, not so much.

Labguy

Reged: 11/18/12

Loc: Iowa, USA
      #5528453 - 11/19/12 05:38 PM

In the late 1990's a friend of mine got a very nice 8". f/6 Discovery scope. I don't know what happened since then, but I bought a Discovery 8". f/6 mirror just about 2 years ago and it was the most pitiful piece of junk I have ever bought. I sold it for 1/2 price right away.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5528536 - 11/19/12 06:31 PM

Quote:

i still recommend putting little weight on delivery times.

Obsession most often makes their estimated delivery times, and often beats them. Twice, Obsession bettered their estimated delivery time--by 30 days.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3845

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics