Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
maltydog

Reged: 09/13/12

Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: apolloadama]
      #5471074 - 10/15/12 08:11 AM

for me, it ends at 16 inch, unless i win the lottery and can have a permanent observatory with permanently mounted big boy scope.

the 16 (truss) is fairly quick and easy to setup by myself. i do have a small step stool (one step) needed for zenith viewing. i can see a lot with this scope. at this time i have no desire to go bigger. i use the wheel barrow handles and have a little ramp i roll it in and out of my suv.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5471077 - 10/15/12 08:15 AM

I think it really depends on one's situation. I find I'm very comfortable with my 10 inch dob. I don't want a scope that requires a ladder toward zenith...even a small one. Not that I won't look through a scope like this. I just don't want that for myself. A friend of mine had a 12.5 inch obsession which I felt was a really nice setup. I feel 12.5 F5 would probably be my ideal size scope. But I would certainly like to mooch off other folks with larger scopes.

I know I had some crazy good views through a 30 inch dob which didn't even have great coatings. My friend's 16 inch also was quite good. Premium optics can make a big difference. But, those are not for me in my current situation.

I have to admit though...I'm more than happy viewing with my 6 inch dob. I personally find 6 inches (reflector wise) to be the minimum aperture for observing DSOs. And I find 10+ is where things get really fun. Pair that with a small refractor and you are good to go.

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5471162 - 10/15/12 09:45 AM

I've found 14 to 15 is good for me unless something larger is in an observatory. For the field, I love a 14 and am anxious to get my new DobStuff structure. I look forward to pushing the scope and Zambuto mirror to see how much more detail and how faint I can go with what I have. I've spent my discretionary money from our budget and the focus is on saving so my wife and I can retire by 62 and 60. Thus my spending in the hobby is in line with that overall goal. For me, that is the key for curing aperture fever.

RogerRZ
Whatta you lookin' at?

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5471176 - 10/15/12 09:55 AM

For me, it ends when I do an honest assessment of how long it would take for the setup/takedown of a large dob to get old, and I give my head a good shake. I'm lazy.

whirlpoolm51
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Loc: pittsburgh,pa
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: RogerRZ]
      #5471219 - 10/15/12 10:24 AM

You could just replace apeture fever with dark sky fever!!!

If it wasnt for light pollution i do not think apeture fever would be much of a problem to some as it is these days. If i could walk out my back door every night to see the milky way and a a sky full of stars , i would still have my 4" starter refractor!!!!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5471323 - 10/15/12 11:18 AM

In the beginning, we had 60mm refractors on lightweight tripods, because that was all that was available, and we got our first "shakey" view of the heavens above. Later on, we expanded to bigger, faster, monster scopes and observatories'. Late in life, we are back to small refractors on light mounts, as that is all we can physically manage and can't drive any longer...The difference: Later in life, we're gonna know HOW to make that small scope perform to its utmost.

When we are younger, we want to "see it all", later in life, we will have our favorite friends that we always spend a little time with (Mine is the Lagoon Nebula); and still find time to visit "new friends".

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: whirlpoolm51]
      #5471335 - 10/15/12 11:22 AM

Quote:

I did like my 12'' orion xti alot!! it was so much more easier to set up than my 16" now and i didnt need a step ladder darnet!!!!

When i get older though and move to the atacama desert ( dreams do come true ahahaha) i am going to build my own observatory that permanetly houses a 45" starstructure telescope hahaha and i am going to make the whole thing moterized so i can just plop my butt down in a custom chair at the eyepiece and push a buttom to move me and the scope around hahahaha

We are the borgscope, you will be assimillated...Resistence is Futile

Photoner
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/06/06

Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5471352 - 10/15/12 11:31 AM

4" APO (TV102)

8" SCT (C8 Edge HD)

12.5" DOB (Obsession 12.5)

Have to say I'm done...18" components too heavy & cumbersome.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Photoner]
      #5471652 - 10/15/12 02:05 PM

For me it ground to a halt at 16.5", whish is about as large as I want to set up. Maybe if I had an observatory and a wealthy relative who has lived a full life and is in poor health I could ponder larger. In the mean time I've extended my light grasp by using my cameras to observe with. I discovered my first night out with my shiny new CCD camera (a dinky little Meade DSI) that I could easily see more with my 4.5" StarBlast on a marginal DS-2000 mount than I could with my 16.5". Since then my imaging and visual gear has gotten along pretty well.

TechPan6415
sage

Reged: 07/29/12

Loc: Aspen, Co
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: jgraham]
      #5471663 - 10/15/12 02:16 PM

That's easy to answer, the fever never has to start if you pick the right scope out of the gate. For me it is the 16" I have because it is still light enough, short enough at the zenith, compact enough to fit in a trunk, big enough to gobble the light and priced right.

I would love to have a 24"-30" in a dome when I get older and want to retire in my last home, but I don't really need it. I have darker skies than 99% of those on here and plenty of aperture to start with. To me, where I live will always be 1000x more important than what I do or do not own.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5471703 - 10/15/12 02:38 PM

One reason why I never look though scopes bigger than mine at star parties. I'm always happy with what I've got.
Just this last Sat night up at Mt Pinos I was surrounded by 6 and 8 foot stepladders everywhere. Tempting, but I was faithful to my 12" dob. I kept my feet on the ground the entire night.

AlBoning
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/06/11

Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Photoner]
      #5471713 - 10/15/12 02:44 PM

When I think of Aperture Fever I am reminded of George Ellery Hale who apparently found a 40" refractor insufficient to cure the "Fever," and it would seem equally ineffective a 60" reflector, and died before seeing the completion of a 100" reflector. (Someone surely knows this story better than I.)

So I'm inclined to think that Aperture Fever comes to an end while one's largest is on order and ends up not as a telescope but as a monument emblazoned with a brass plaque reading, "Beloved Astronomer."

I like to delude myself by assuming people are well motivated and when it comes to Astronomy that one is motivated to acquire aperture because of a desire for light grasp and resolution. However, it seems humans are more often driven by baser motives that, in this instance, might be more accurately described as ...

Aperture Envy, Aperture Embarrassment (I resemble this remark), or Aperture Competition.

I have to wonder how many, happy with their 130 mm f/5, went to their first star party only to find themselves dwarfed by an 8" XT on one side and a 12" LightBridge on the other; and before going to bed were in the throes of the "Fever."

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: whirlpoolm51]
      #5471807 - 10/15/12 04:03 PM

Quote:

When i get older though and move to the atacama desert ( dreams do come true ahahaha) i am going to build my own observatory that permanetly houses a 45" starstructure telescope hahaha and i am going to make the whole thing moterized so i can just plop my butt down in a custom chair at the eyepiece and push a buttom to move me and the scope around hahahaha

Chase your dreams, and when you get this telescope, invite me over.

Dick Jacobson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/22/06

Loc: Plymouth, Minnesota, USA
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: maltydog]
      #5471868 - 10/15/12 04:46 PM

I will never be satisfied with the size of my scope when looking at galaxies or other faint objects. You can be too rich or too thin, but you can never have too much light coming through your eyepiece unless you're looking at the Sun. (Maybe some day someone will go blind looking at Vega.) Practical difficulties may suppress the fever, but they do not cure it.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Dick Jacobson]
      #5472058 - 10/15/12 06:29 PM

I am fortunate to figure out my limits without draining my bank account. I have hauled around our clubs 20 in F5 Obsession for 3 years. It is a joy to look through but the logistics of packing it up, having room in the car for much else and setting it up for viewing at a dark site has helped me gain wisdom without financial pain. We use the Obsession on a equatorial platform so it takes two people to move the base onto or off of the platform.

My next (last) dob will be between 16 to 18 inches, fast enough to be ladder free, include the Feathertouch SIPS, 10K encoders, Argo Navis and have a tailgate removable mirror so I can pick up the base without the mirror. I want to be able to pick it up and put it in the SUV or RV without ramps. I will skip the goto or tracking for the lower total weight. I want it small enough so I can fit my TEC 140 APO, DM6 and Planet tripod in the back of the same SUV. Currently I need to tow a trailer if I want to use both. Until then I will enjoy the outstanding views of a good 20 inch mirror even though I have to put up with some hassles.

If you live at a dark site with great horizons and can put up a roll away shelter, go as big as you want. If you have to travel to a dark site, consider well where you should to compromise.

Mike Spooner
Vendor (mirrors)

Reged: 08/06/10

#5472095 - 10/15/12 06:50 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Quote:

When does aperture fever end? 15"? 22"? 30"? Empty bank account? Grave? Never?

Perhaps a "graphical" answer will help.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Mike Spooner]
      #5472113 - 10/15/12 06:56 PM

Aperture fever ends for me when either of the following are true:
1) my feet can no longer stay on the ground at zenith; or
2) I cannot pay cash for the larger-aperture telescope without any reliance on credit.

There is an excellent, available (with a six to twelve month wait) solution to problem #1 (specifically, a 20" Starmaster f/3.3). Problem #2 is the sticking point, not sure I'll successfully solve it, but hey...I'm working on it.

Edited by FirstSight (10/15/12 09:55 PM)

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: ThreeD]
      #5472191 - 10/15/12 07:51 PM

That was why I built my 15-inch, but at the same time having looked through much larger telescopes, I decided a 15 or 16-inch will probably be the largest telescope I'd want to lug around, set up and tear down. I am strong enough to lift 100 pounds and carry it, but I am middle aged and not getting any younger. I work on ladders all the time, and I don't want to use a ladder while stargazing. I have also fallen off a ladder, and the stars I saw were not the ones you want to see when you hit concrete, let alone the ground. I live in a cloudy and dank part of the nation too, there just isn't much benefit for me to go bigger unless my fortunes change and I can spend the rest of my years in a higher, drier and dark area where it would be worth considering a larger telescope. Even then, I have seen how a 10-inch at the Okie Tex Star Party can pull incredibly dim objects into view, and put my 15-inch to shame under the typical skies here. Aperture rules, but dark skies rule too. To go bigger for me is probably not worthwhile, even if I could afford to, and right now I cannot.

Taras

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Achernar]
      #5472541 - 10/15/12 11:52 PM

"Aperture rules but dark skies rule too."

+1

Dark skies.

Jack

Aperturefever

Reged: 12/12/10

Loc: Lake Macquarie, Australia
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? [Re: mountain monk]
      #5472589 - 10/16/12 12:22 AM

Aperture fever?? Never heard of it ...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8873

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics