Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
mark cowan
Vendor (Veritas Optics)

Reged: 06/03/05

Loc: salem, OR
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Galicapernistein]
      #5476151 - 10/18/12 12:36 AM

Quote:

Seeing the Sombrero Galaxy in a 22" scope was nice, but it wasn't the knock out view I expected.

Galaxies through "Hercules", Dan Bakken's 41.2" scope, the one time I've had the opportunity, were definitely a knockout view. Like having them in your living room. So aperture fever still cooks for me.

Best,
Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: auriga]
      #5476273 - 10/18/12 02:32 AM

Quote:

Actually, objects don't look of very similar brightness to me in a 4" as in a 16" The Double Cluster and the Pleiades for example seem to me much brighter in a 16 inch than in a 4 inch. The individual stars seem much brighter. It's similar to looking at Vega in a 16 inch, it looks much brighter to my eye than in a 4 inch.

Perhaps what you are saying here is meant to apply to extended objects?

Bill:

You are right, I should have qualified that with "extended objects", stars are a different story, they are brighter in a large scope. But extended objects, nebulae, galaxies, planets... these are not.

There are some objects that require a wide field of view to be seen at their best but also, a scope like the NP-101 allows one to view the sky on a different scale, while a 4.5 degree TFoV is about 3.5x the diameter, it represents about 12x the area, it's just a different view, not so much objects as relationships between objects and structures that are generally not identified as objects because they do not fit in the field of view of many telescopes...

My sister is a geologist.... she says that if you take 100 geologists and show them a 300 foot granite wall with a single red rock in the middle, 99 of them will look at the red rock and ignore the granite.

Jon

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5476484 - 10/18/12 07:45 AM

Jon,
I'm the 'geologist' who looks at the red rock AND the granite wall.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5476562 - 10/18/12 09:05 AM

When does aperture fever end? When your back says so!
If your back starts to hurt just thinking about moving a big scope, it's time to downsize!

Darenwh
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/06

Loc: Covington, GA
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5476569 - 10/18/12 09:11 AM

I try not to take things like that for Granite....

Darenwh
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/06

Loc: Covington, GA
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5476573 - 10/18/12 09:14 AM

Quote:

When does aperture fever end? When your back says so!
If your back starts to hurt just thinking about moving a big scope, it's time to downsize!

In this day of automation, when we have so much technology available to us, why would you move something manually if you can create a mechanical or automated way to lift it. If you can afford that 50" scope you can likely afford the 42" scope with the mechanism to load it into and unload it from your vehicle. That way you don't have to do much heavy lifting (beyond todays modern eyepiece case) to view the wonders of the universe in a truly big scope.

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Darenwh]
      #5476633 - 10/18/12 10:07 AM

That's the race I'm in... earn enough of a retirement nest egg... so I can afford to live farther and farther from society, so I no longer have to even bother moving/setting my equipment... I can just flip the switch and open my ceiling to the mag 7+ skies.

ZRX-Steve
sage

Reged: 03/31/08

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5476728 - 10/18/12 11:05 AM

Quote:

That's the race I'm in... earn enough of a retirement nest egg... so I can afford to live farther and farther from society, so I no longer have to even bother moving/setting my equipment... I can just flip the switch and open my ceiling to the mag 7+ skies.

You're in Omaha? Pffft, try the light dome of Phoenix @ 4 million! You'll appreciate Omaha.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: Darenwh]
      #5476735 - 10/18/12 11:07 AM

Quote:

In this day of automation, when we have so much technology available to us, why would you move something manually if you can create a mechanical or automated way to lift it. If you can afford that 50" scope you can likely afford the 42" scope with the mechanism to load it into and unload it from your vehicle. That way you don't have to do much heavy lifting (beyond todays modern eyepiece case) to view the wonders of the universe in a truly big scope.

First you have to have the vehicle that can handle a 50 inch scope. Then you have to want a 50 inch scope... I have neither and want neither. My Nissan Frontier mini-truck barely handles the 25 inch and that's ok with me, I have only moved it one time with no plans to move it again.

Jon

omahaastro
sage

#5476794 - 10/18/12 11:46 AM

Quote:

You're in Omaha? Pffft, try the light dome of Phoenix @ 4 million! You'll appreciate Omaha.

Oh I know... the rest of my family lives down there, so I'm well familiar with the situation (although there's something to be said for clear skies and warmth).

I'm looking forward to retiring to the Land of Enchantment.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5476837 - 10/18/12 12:14 PM

Quote:

and then they tell you you're too old to be living out in the middle of nowhere like that.....doesn't matter, we're always either too young or too old....

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: apolloadama]
      #5476928 - 10/18/12 01:09 PM

Quote:

When does aperture fever end? 15"? 22"? 30"? Empty bank account? Grave? Never?

Mine has ended with my AT 16". It just clears the walls of the observatory by about 6" or so. Plus, I'm absolutely thrilled with the views I get from it, so have no desire to ever go bigger.

omahaastro
sage

Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5477005 - 10/18/12 01:42 PM

Quote:

and then they tell you you're too old to be living out in the middle of nowhere like that.....doesn't matter, we're always either too young or too old....

is that like, "You're going to get killed by a mountain lion, out there alone, like you observe.". Have their been any cases of amateur astronomers getting attacked by wildlife? I suppose there's a thread on here somewhere.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5477017 - 10/18/12 01:49 PM

Have been lots of those threads. Only confirmed attacks were by mosquito.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5477281 - 10/18/12 03:51 PM

Theres a few amateur astronomers missing in Florida that were last seen viewing in the Everglades...oddly enough, the gators are getting fat...coincidence?

rgm40
sage

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5493728 - 10/28/12 09:25 PM

Now with a nice 10 inch Dob, I find myself wishing more for darker skies than a larger scope. IMHO, a 10 or a 12.5 inch scope makes a nice all around compromise between portability and effectiveness on DSOs, especially if one has to travel to get to a dark site. In a different situation where one need not travel to get to a dark site, this theory AFAIAC would go out the window in favor of a larger scope.

wirenut
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/21/06

Loc: m'dale Pa
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: rgm40]
      #5493750 - 10/28/12 09:35 PM

when you live at keck?

Tom Clark
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: North of Deming, NM
Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5496445 - 10/30/12 04:18 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Quote:

Theres a few amateur astronomers missing in Florida that were last seen viewing in the Everglades...oddly enough, the gators are getting fat...coincidence?

And some of those Florida amateurs got tired of the clouds and hazy skies and moved to the desert of New Mexico. For me aperture fever ends here…

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
      #5496556 - 10/30/12 05:28 PM

My aperture fever, if I had it, ended once I bought my 12"solid tube dob. The black waterheater coupled with my 4"f5.4 refractor give me plenty to look at and enjoy. I get to look through bigger scope at star parties and that is nice but, I really enjoy what I have. Now if the sky would just be clear for once I could use said telescopes...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Aperture fever, when does it end? [Re: Tom Clark]
      #5496690 - 10/30/12 06:55 PM

Lived in New Mexico for many years. Had a small ranch outside of Edgewood, NM. The skies there were tremendous! Sadly, I wasn't into astronomy back then besides just going outside and looking up...but I did a lot of that.......New Mexico away from the cities probably have some of the best skies (and weather) in the world. I say, Go for it.....Nice pic, by the way....I hope you plan on doing some AP and posting it....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8967

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics