Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: TexasRed]
      #5525965 - 11/18/12 11:54 AM

Any first light this weekend?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5526105 - 11/18/12 01:05 PM

I agree, 200lbs is acceptable if you are talking about a 25-inch, but that is ridiculously heavy for a 16-inch. My 15-inch assembled weighs 120lbs, and that is because I have a heavy battery in the base. Just the telescope alone is about 100 lbs. That is much more reasonable for a 16-inch.

Taras

kharrison

Reged: 10/16/12

Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: Achernar]
      #5526976 - 11/18/12 10:28 PM

I finally had first light! I have a park near my condo with only one light which is blocked by trees. However, surrounding stadium lights upped the light pollution quite a bit (I couldnít make out all the starts in Cassiopeia). It didnít matter that much because I was mainly interested in the mechanics of the setup. It is heavy and I wouldnít recommend it for anyone with back problems. Assembling the base went quickly. After lifting the base piece out of my car I rolled to the setup location, so that wasnít so bad from a weight standpoint. Putting the lower tube into place was a little more difficult because I leave the counterweights attached. Still was able to line up the fittings between the base and tube on my first try. The only non-captive bolt on the whole scope which locks the tube to the base took about five minutes to install. I had to shift the tube around a little before the holes lined up. The struts went on without any trouble. The upper tube is what took the longest. I suppose the main problem was trying to get the bolts and the holes to line up. It was twilight by this time and was mainly trying to do it by touch. I finally wised up, held a flashlight in my mouth and visually lined things up. That process took half the setup time, which was one hour. Iím sure Iíll get faster with practice.

Aligning the scope went quickly and the go-to was dead on for the rest of the evening. Using the 28mm wide field eyepiece that came with the scope I could see M32 for the first time. Went over to the Ring and it was quite visible in the eyepiece, even though it was close to the moon. Went to the blue snowball and could tell it was really blue. I went to the Pleiades with my 41mm Panoptic and they were exceptionally bright and distinct. I could see the Saturn nebula clearly with an 8mm Ethos. With the Ethos again I went to M15 and could clearly make out individual stars, no grey fuzzies. Overall, considering how bad the skies were, I was pretty impressed. I canít wait to get it to some really dark skies!

Take down also took about an hour, including packing all the peripherals. I had trouble with a bolt on one of the struts. It didnít want to turn. I got it out eventually but the retaining washer snapped off. I havenít tried to reattach it yet.

Overall, it went pretty smoothly for a first time out. It was quite a workout for a couch potato like me. Iím a little sore today. Weather permitting Iíll be out again on Tuesday. Iíll see if Iím any faster then.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: kharrison]
      #5529604 - 11/20/12 08:48 AM

That's what I was waiting for - thanks so much for the post! Nice to hear good word about the initial align and goto. Nice variety of objects and ep's - Appreciate caution about 'those with back issues'.

One thing I own that's been a big help is a head light / helmet light that is popular with bicycle riders, mine has 4 settings one being red LED, pivots in the up-down. Great for light where you want it with use of both hands and mouth..

Again, thankls for the informative post!

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
      #5530488 - 11/20/12 03:49 PM

Sounds about like what I was expecting. I'm sure setup gets easier with practice.

I'd recommend one of these headlamps. It makes my setup so much easier:
http://www.amazon.com/FRED-White-Red-LED-Black/dp/B005I6M3W4/ref=sr_1_55?ie=U...

It always defaults to turning on to red. You have to hold it down to get to white light so you never accidentally blind yourself!

The views also sound very good. I had a decent night out camping the other night with my 8" SCT. But a lot of the galaxies were just faint smudges and despite good seeing I was still wanting MORE for Jupiter.

We will see. Money it tight right now and not sure I could convince the wife to take the beast camping! :P

Still drool worthy though!

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: Kevdog]
      #5548767 - 12/01/12 01:04 PM

Any subsequent or second light report on this scope? Operation, setup and of course visual impressions . . .

sniperpride

Reged: 01/04/12

Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5549605 - 12/01/12 11:51 PM

uhh, that thing is massive, 200lbs are you kidding me. And for that price Id much rather get a used premium dob of similar aperture.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: sniperpride]
      #5549724 - 12/02/12 01:25 AM

Quote:

I agree, 200lbs is acceptable if you are talking about a 25-inch, but that is ridiculously heavy for a 16-inch. My 15-inch assembled weighs 120lbs, and that is because I have a heavy battery in the base. Just the telescope alone is about 100 lbs. That is much more reasonable for a 16-inch.

Taras

Quote:

uhh, that thing is massive, 200lbs are you kidding me. And for that price Id much rather get a used premium dob of similar aperture.

OK... so there's two at least that do not have one on the way.... (maybe start another thread along the lines of "orion 16G too heavy for me or anyone", or "why i'm not ordering the orion 16G...")

Hopefully we can continue to hear from those that do have one on the way and if arrived how they like it? How they feel about the weight, if they feel it such a gross negative to justify going to another vendor or buying something else on used market?, or if the 'convex-back' mirror/cell construction, collimation, and cooling is better or worse or non-issue, or if the weight / drive system any difference in performance in a windy night of viewing...

I'd much prefer to hear more about what these scopes are from folks that have them... instead of what they are not by folks who have never used them.

kharrison

Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5554821 - 12/04/12 11:08 PM

Well Iíve had it out 4 more times since first light. Over Thanksgiving I took it out to my folks place out in the country near Huntsville, TX. I managed to put it together in about 30 minutes. The alignment did not hold well this time. Within 2 hours the go-to was quite a bit off. I suspect I didnít have the base level. I was sitting out in an overgrown field and the only level I had was an app on my old iPhone (has a curved back). A bright moon washed out some of the fainter objects, but planetary nebulae were easy to spot. I got Jupiter up to 450x with my Ethos on a Barlow and it still looked sharp. Take down took about 20 minutes this time. The other 3 times I had it out were at public observing events in the city so there was lots of light pollution. This past Saturday was the most recent one and I had a friend who had just bought a gently used 16Ē Lightbridge. We both went to the blue snowball and tried to get close to the same magnification so we could compare. Both images looked pretty good. I think mine was a little brighter than his. We are working out a plan to go to a good dark site and do a serious comparison test. The alignment held well at all the public observing events, which tends to support my ďbase not levelĒ theory.

OK, now the weight issue. It is heavy, thereís no disputing that. But it does break down into manageable pieces. And the weight has a benefit: in a gusty wind last Saturday there was little shake in the image. The only wind effect I noticed was that I had to tighten the clutch as it tried to turn into the wind.

The conical mirror is great. Without fans it is fully equalized by the time I get everything assembled. It holds collimation very well for a truss tube. I keep the trusses in the same position each time and I really havenít had to collimate it. I just started to notice it was a little off by the end of the night Saturday.

The closed-loop electronics work as advertised. I loosened the clutch and pushed it all over the place and it was still accurate when I used the go-to.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

#5558918 - 12/07/12 09:46 AM

good information -

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#5559168 - 12/07/12 11:57 AM

How are you finding the eyepiece height? At what altitude are you needing to use a step stool?

kharrison

Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5560037 - 12/07/12 10:05 PM

I haven't actually measured it but I'd guess about 20 degrees from zenith. And I'm 6' tall.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5560062 - 12/07/12 10:18 PM

Glad you are happy with the telescope.

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Anyone have an XX16g on the way? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5571906 - 12/15/12 01:21 AM

Thanks for the follow-up reports!

I still really like the idea of the scope, but my purchase of one has been greatly put off as I recently picked up a used C11 for a good price. Couldn't quite swing the $4k for the XX16g yet. Maybe in a few more years now!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3354

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics