Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
GregB

Reged: 07/17/05

Loc: Turlock, Ca
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5556160 - 12/05/12 06:36 PM

The cost of shipping is prohibitive. Right now I have an AD10 for sale. If I break down the base and repack everything in the original boxes (which I still have) it would run about $175 to $200 dollars to ship from west to east coast. When you can buy the same scope new for $500 shipped to your door I would have to sell for $300 or less just to match what Apertura can do for a new scope - probably have to be down around $200 to make it worth while for someone to even consider. Someone else here on the forum just parted out a dob because they couldn't sell it intact.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: GregB]
      #5556320 - 12/05/12 08:02 PM

Yep, that would be me. Take a deep breath and post a "Parting it Out" ad. You can MAKE money. I had the whole thing sold in one day except for the cheapo EPs.

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5556594 - 12/05/12 10:41 PM

Rick charged me $1,200 to personally drive the 24"er out here to my door on the California coast from Kansas (1,800 mi.) in 2008. He doesn't box and ship this size scope or larger -- he personally delivers them and charges you for his expense and then some (mini-vacation?). The buyer of this 24"er two years later paid me the $1,000 cost of packing, crating (4x4x4 ft. pallet/crate package), and insurance to truck the 500 lb. load 3,000 mi. to the east coast in five days over the winter, with Yellow Truck Lines. It arrived in perfect condition. The pallet method is the way to ship longer distances. Aboard a truck, no other loads are touching what's on your pallet. I spent none of my personal or work time in delivering that large Dob and got a sales price for the Dob that probably would have matched what a more local buyer would have paid, but without my having to drive and rendezvous somewhere at my own expense and loss of time.

Quote:

Quote:

I've had seven Starmaster's shipped to my door 2,000 miles from Kansas via UPS. Rick does a great job with packing and shipping and he *ships* all his scopes via UPS under 24" in size. I've also crated and shipped a 24" Starmaster clear across to US from CA to NJ and it worked great with no problems. Get a shipper to do the proper packing and trucking.

How much did it cost for Starmaster to ship that 24 inch to you, how did it cost you to pack and ship it from CA to NJ?

Me, that's too much like work...

Jon

Edited by Peter Natscher (12/05/12 10:45 PM)

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#5556603 - 12/05/12 10:46 PM

This has been an interesting discussion. I've been thinking about a big DOB but I'm not so sure now. I could be stuck with a white elephant (like a 16" lightbridge ) I guess good follow up questions would be does it really matter? Is it a real a problem to sell locally? Am I going to be basically stuck with the scope once I buy it unless I get lucky enough to find a local buyer?

I live in the mid west and from my perspective as a buyer, it IS a problem as most of the interesting stuff is somewhere on a coast line, many hundreds of miles away so my selection is really limited.

It's never really bothered me to crate and ship large (8"+) refractors and associated mountings in multiple crates. Why would big DOBs be different? A big scope is a big scope.

Jeff

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5556658 - 12/05/12 11:24 PM

I think that we have gone from big to HUGE. The pallet method sounds like the way to go for whoppers but not for deals in the few hundred dollar range. I really like the sound of having a scope on a pallet with nothing else being stacked on it. Using regular shipping like Fed, Brown, or Snail means conveyor belts, drops, and other unpleasantness.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5556696 - 12/06/12 12:04 AM

Quote:

I live in the mid west and from my perspective as a buyer, it IS a problem as most of the interesting stuff is somewhere on a coast line, many hundreds of miles away so my selection is really limited.

Funny you should say that. I'm located on the left coast, and when i was "shopping" for a used Dob (the one in my sig! ), they all seemed to be in Texas! No way was i driving that far!

Kept waiting & watching... within about 3 months of starting, the 15" Starsplitter showed up close enough to drive & meet half-way (~2 hour trip e/w). Was a simply wonderful way to buy a scope! No guessing, no worries, see the gear & handle it, pop in at a nearby bank & transfer funds- easy on all concerned!

Kept in perspective, as i alluded to earlier- if buying "new", the same scope would've been AT LEAST 50% more cost, and probably a 6-month to year wait for delivery.

Still, it ain't a Lightbridge. You can get something like a LB, new, shipped immediately from a certified vendor for half what i paid for a *used* custom-built Dob with "premium" USA-polished optics. So there's probably two separate metrics for used Dobs- stock asian or premium. Maybe a third, too- Peter's "pallet" scenario for the really large & costly monsters.

No one would pallet-ship a LightBridge... and using terms like "drop-ship" & "premium 24-inch Dob" in the same sentence gives me a twitch.

Tom Andrews
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/25/07

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
      #5556698 - 12/06/12 12:05 AM

I sold 2 dobs this past August and September.

The first was a Z8 which I disassembled and packed in its original boxes. It shipped from Albuquerque to southern Illinois via FedEx and cost $120.00. I sold the scope for $300.00 and split the shipping evenly. I would not have paid almost half the price of the sale on shipping so splitting the cost made that sale possible.

The second was a Discovery 12.5" split-tube. I bought it new in 2007 and it shipped in 5 boxes. I priced shipping via FedEx from Albuquerque to New York: 4 boxes = $800.00. I was selling it for $1000.00. How much sense does that make? Freight lines would almost certainly have been less expensive but not enough to make it worth it to me or the seller to ship...lost that sale. I ended up selling it to a guy in Denver and we both traveled 3 hours each way to meet half-way.

What I learned during this process was that if you have an "ACCOUNT" with these companies, the price is significantly less and if you have a commercial account the price is greatly reduced. That's how these astronomy companies can afford to ship at all. For the individual without an account, you pay ridiculous (dare I say "ludicrous") prices to ship.

Depending on the size of the dob, the distance and the arrangement for shipping between buyer and seller, shipping may be workable or not.

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

#5557255 - 12/06/12 10:43 AM

Don't let your fears about eventually needing to sell your big scope keep you from having and enjoying one. I enjoy observing with scopes larger than eyepieces I've owned seven Dobs between 14.5" and 24" and had no problem selling them, even from out here on the west coast. If you price the scope right, someone will buy it. Get one and enjoy!! I think you being located in the mid-west have an advantage to my location. There are more big Dob sales emanating from your region than from the east or west coasts. Plus, your never more than 1,500 mi. from any buyer. It's never taken me longer than 30 days to sell at fair used price any of my past big Dobs. All Dobs will lose 25%-45% of their new price after a few years of use. Thats' the most difficult issue in my mind.

Quote:

This has been an interesting discussion. I've been thinking about a big DOB but I'm not so sure now. I could be stuck with a white elephant (like a 16" lightbridge ) I guess good follow up questions would be does it really matter? Is it a real a problem to sell locally? Am I going to be basically stuck with the scope once I buy it unless I get lucky enough to find a local buyer?

It's never really bothered me to crate and ship large (8"+) refractors and associated mountings in multiple crates. Why would big DOBs be different? A big scope is a big scope.

Jeff

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5557273 - 12/06/12 10:54 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

My current 24" StarStructure was shipped via air from Florida to California and then trucked 100 mi. to me on the coast for $1,000. It was packed very well on a pallet by Mike Zammit of SS. Entire load was 500 lbs. Photo shows two plywood sides removed to expose packing. The 55 lbs. Kennedy primary and cell are in there too. This is an expensive delivery, but not for a $20,000 scope. Any good local shipper (not UPS) an do this for you.

-----------
No one would pallet-ship a LightBridge... and using terms like "drop-ship" & "premium 24-inch Dob" in the same sentence gives me a twitch.

Edited by Peter Natscher (12/06/12 10:56 AM)

ckwastro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5557290 - 12/06/12 11:11 AM

I do understand the OP's point of view & frustration. I've found several scopes on that other site I was interested in buying, but they were all on the east coast and pickup only. That's the way it goes, so I keep looking until I find something local, or put up a wanted ad for my area.

Having said that, I'm still firmly in the *will not ship* camp as well. Back in 2001, I think my 14.5" Starmaster from Rick was around $400 or so in shipping costs. I certainly did not have the extra room to store the boxes. When I sold it, I listed it as a local pickup only. No problem selling it. The scope was in excellent condition after 7 years, and we both got a great deal, and both of us were very happy. It was a win-win, and it took maybe two hours of my time to put it in the car and drive it over to his house, unpack it and come home. Far less time than arranging for packing & shipping (or trying to do it myself), and far less cost to both of us.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: ckwastro]
      #5557297 - 12/06/12 11:16 AM

"I ended up selling it to a guy in Denver and we both traveled 3 hours each way to meet half-way."

That would be around Raton, NM......hope you both had time to try it out in THOSE dark skies....Nice black area all over down there...

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5557301 - 12/06/12 11:17 AM

Quote:

Exactly what the title says. Almost NOBODY is willing to ship a DOB to make a sale on the used market. "Pickup only".

I know DOB owners are a lazy bunch to begin with but man, what's up with that? I mean, they came in a box didn't they? So why is it so hard to put it back in the box?

Jeff

Many may not save the original shipping box to ship in; if homemade, trying to find suitable boxes may be a problem. I think COST is the major factor, certainly not "lazy bunch". I just had a Tupperware container shipped UPS to me, from 100 miles away, and the shipping came to $18!!!!!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5557323 - 12/06/12 11:32 AM

not to mention, those of us lucky enough to live near a bricknmorter store don't keep the boxes...If you add the cost of boxes big enough, the time and materials for packing, and the time and shipping costs; the sellor wouldn't hardly have anything left from the sale.....

bsim
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Miskatonic
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5557335 - 12/06/12 11:38 AM

Quote:

All Dobs will lose 25%-45% of their new price after a few years of use. Thats' the most difficult issue in my mind.

If depreciation is an issue, then buy used. It's already discounted and you can recover your cost if you sell it later. I've seen some fabulous sales on Astromart.

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: bsim]
      #5557420 - 12/06/12 12:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

All Dobs will lose 25%-45% of their new price after a few years of use. Thats' the most difficult issue in my mind.

If depreciation is an issue, then buy used. It's already discounted and you can recover your cost if you sell it later. I've seen some fabulous sales on Astromart.

That. When I was getting back into the hobby after a break for a couple of years, I was on the verge of buying an Orion 14" goto dob when I was alerted to a 14.5" Starmaster with CZ mirror and goto for not a whole lot more than the Orion telescope. Having owned a couple of Starmasters previously it was a no-brainer. I met the seller halfway between my place and Tampa and we had a pleasant chat for about an hour while we moved the telescope from his car to mine. If I ever sell this one, it will be pickup or delivery only, and I doubt that I will lose any money on it.

ckwastro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: bsim]
      #5557447 - 12/06/12 12:28 PM

Yep, the deals are out there. Just have to look around and will yourself to be patient for the right one.

whirlpoolm51
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Loc: pittsburgh,pa
      #5557479 - 12/06/12 12:46 PM

When i sold my last two dobs i parted them out so it would be easier to ship but i still am nervouse about shipping primary mirrors!!! I shipped a 12" primary to canada and it cost me 87.00!!!!!

Also when dennis at dob stuff was redoing my scope for me i had to send him my primary and it cost a whopping 115.00!!!

Shipping a dob is definitly a problem you just neeed to forget unless its anything under 8" in size then you could possibly get away with it

I would however consider shipping if i part the dob out but yet again you sort of lose a couple bucks

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: whirlpoolm51]
      #5557582 - 12/06/12 01:47 PM

I drove about 800 miles round trip to pick up my starmaster. Was worth every minute on the road to insure it would be home safely.

Perhaps post a wanted ad within the area you are willing to drive in a day. Someone might be willing to meet you part of the way as well.

Dean

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: DeanS]
      #5557608 - 12/06/12 02:03 PM

I once drove 6500 miles to retrieve a like-new 20" f/4.3 Zambuto/Starmaster and took it to a star party in Northern California and then on to Sierra Vista to get a drive installed. Was pulling a tear-drop trailer behind me and stayed in lovely State parks along the way. Also stayed off the superslabs for 2/3 of the trip.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5557879 - 12/06/12 05:01 PM

I picked up my Teeter from Rob on my way to the WSP so there are no boxes at all. I had it for sale for a while and would have been willing to meet someone or drop it of on my way to a US Star Party such as TSP, WSP and OKIE. Packing for third party shipping and the actual shipping itself would have added 25% to the price..
Plus, I wouldn't trust ANY shipper with it.

There were no takers (not so much as one inquiry) so I pulled the ad and am thinking of a way to keep it now.

Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4574

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics