Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
RocketScientist

Reged: 08/28/08

Loc: California (East Bay area)
Re: Obsession 15" in the red zone? new [Re: Achernar]
      #5667811 - 02/07/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

For *me*, a big part of the "solution" has become a "Telegizmos" cover- i can keep the 15" Dob set up on the rear patio for days at a stretch, which opens up the opportunities notably.

That's a great idea and something I should consider.

My thanks to everyone for the suggestions and support. I won't be moving on this right away, but you've all convinced me that I should give the 15" very serious consideration even under my current constraints.

Clear skies,
Cathy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Obsession 15" in the red zone? new [Re: RocketScientist]
      #5668014 - 02/07/13 10:43 PM

You want a 15 incher, you can afford a 15 incher, you can use a 15 incher either at home (Mag 4.5 skies aren't great, but they aren't horrible either, like my Mag 3 skies here in San Antonio)or you could haul it to a dark site. I think you have answered all the important questions--go for one!

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Obsession 15" in the red zone? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5668904 - 02/08/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

You want a 15 incher, you can afford a 15 incher, you can use a 15 incher either at home (Mag 4.5 skies aren't great, but they aren't horrible either, like my Mag 3 skies here in San Antonio)or you could haul it to a dark site. I think you have answered all the important questions--go for one!

+1 What Gene said!

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Obsession 15" in the red zone? new [Re: turtle86]
      #5669182 - 02/08/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

I won't be moving on this right away...

Ahh, but galaxy season is fast approaching! All the Spring-sky fuzzies, milling about in huge hoards, just waiting to be gawked at thru 15-inches of optical horsepower <<insert Tim Allen emoticon here>>

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Obsession 15" in the red zone? new [Re: Achernar]
      #5670346 - 02/09/13 09:23 AM

The 15" reflector is going to exhibit a higher contrast threshold on faunter objects than any scope you have now. Regardless of sky limiting magnitude you will see more with the 15". It would be wasteful if by some twist of physics you couldn't see more with it than a 10" but that's simy not the case. So the answer is an emphatic yes it's worth it but its also worth it to get that under some dark sky's too. I'm assuming you have a full set of deepsky filters, broadband, UHC and OIII. You may very well find an Hbeta while profitable under mag 6 sky's is pointless under 4.5v sky's as the objects tend to run quite faint. Under a magnitude 6.3sky though I had a view of the California NEB through an 18" that was jaw dropping., you knew what it was without being told. The Horsehead was nice too but again - nice rural sky's only or better.

Get it if you can - you'll see the difference - you have to. But get it some dark sky time. Ill bet you increase hour frequency to over 5%!

Pete

RocketScientist

Reged: 08/28/08

Loc: California (East Bay area)
Re: Obsession 15" in the red zone? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5671374 - 02/09/13 08:21 PM

"I'm assuming you have a full set of deepsky filters, broadband, UHC and OIII."

Yes. Not premium filters, but I have them. The broadband is almost worthless; the UHC and OIII get used frequently in the 10".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1441

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics