Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Locoman]
      #5776003 - 04/03/13 05:11 PM

A great deal on a used OTA popped up on the other site today...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Starman81]
      #5794045 - 04/12/13 09:50 AM

Good news! I received an email yesterday saying my XLT 150 has shipped.

Mike

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5795438 - 04/12/13 09:38 PM

Quote:

Good news! I received an email yesterday saying my XLT 150 has shipped.

Mike

What was the date of your order? Mine was Feb 22nd. I called them yesterday and was told they expected a shippment next week!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Locoman]
      #5795681 - 04/13/13 12:06 AM

I ordered mine on March 2nd.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5806291 - 04/18/13 09:05 AM

My XLT 150 arrived yesterday via UPS. They always deliver at about 11:30AM when no one is home. Woodland Hills set up the shipping for signature confirmation, although I had sent them two emails requesting no signature. I had to go on the UPS website and waive the requirement for signature, otherwise I'd have to take off a day of work. Not a good thing, but not out of the ordinary for vendors.

So far the scope looks fine. No obvious dents or other problems. Of course, the Curse is in full force. There will be rain and clouds through the weekend. But I intend to star test the scope on the first clear evening. I can just set it up on the porch and aim at Polaris.

In the meantime I can mount it on my AT Voyager alt-az. The OTA is pretty long, longer than I had expected for an f/5. I might have to attach the extension to the top of the Voyager so the bottom of the OTA won't strike the mount or tripod legs.

I have a CG4, but I won't bother putting the scope on that mount. I really don't like GEMs, especially for a Newt. The XLT 150 will max out at about 300x, 50x per inch. I have no problem nudging a Newt at that power. The Voyager has slo-mo controls, so all the better.

Mike

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5806324 - 04/18/13 09:37 AM

Quote:

In the meantime I can mount it on my AT Voyager alt-az. The OTA is pretty long, longer than I had expected for an f/5. ...

Actually, i think it is a little shorter than it normally would be (hence that included extension adaptor). I have had mine on the AT Voyager a could times, just to check it out as to alignment, contrast etc. I was surprised how well it balances on that mount. Have not tried to point it straight up though. Fair amount of shake at the eyepiece though.
Intend to use it on my still to be delivered DSV-3 mount.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: moynihan]
      #5806345 - 04/18/13 10:00 AM

It was longer than I expected, but then I've never had a 6" f/5 Newt. I do have a 5" f/5, which might be for sale soon depending on how well this 6" turns out.

Did you have the extension on the Voyager? I'd rather not have that on the mount, because it adds to the weight and cumbersomeness of the setup. But an extension might be necessary so the OTA won't strike the mount or legs. I don't like having to keep turning the tripod to clear the OTA.

If I use heavy 2" eyepieces - such as my ES 82 30mm - on the XLT 150, I'll have to either move the OTA way down in the rings or add a counterweight to the bottom end. Actually, I've done both for my 5" f/5. I have a small sports-pack filled with lead shot strapped to the lower end of the OTA.

What is a DSV-3? I'm full up with mounts now, but I'm curious.

Mike

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5806353 - 04/18/13 10:08 AM

Quote:

...Did you have the extension on the Voyager? ...
What is a DSV-3?

Nope, do not have an extension for that one. I am not getting the DSV-3 just for the scope we are discussing, but it should nicely over-mounted on it:
DSV-3

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5806358 - 04/18/13 10:09 AM

Here you go:

DSV-3 ALTITUDE-AZIMUTH MOUNT

$740 for the mount head. Too much for me at this time. I'll make do with the Voyager for now.

It might make sense if the observer had several scopes they could mount on the DSV-3. Yes, I have several scopes that would fit, but still ... maybe sometime.

Mike

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5806359 - 04/18/13 10:14 AM

Yeah (re the DSV-3) spendy for me also, most expensive mount i have purchased. Hope to use it with different OTA's.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5806368 - 04/18/13 10:17 AM

Is that Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) in your avatar? The "Tears in Rain" scene from Blade Runner?

Mike

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5806464 - 04/18/13 11:44 AM

Quote:

Is that Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) in your avatar? The "Tears in Rain" scene from Blade Runner?

Mike

Yes it is

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5806465 - 04/18/13 11:46 AM

Best scene in the best science fiction movie ever made.

Mike

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5806939 - 04/18/13 03:30 PM

New review of the Sky-Watcher version

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5812808 - 04/21/13 11:18 AM

I tested my XLT 150 last night on my porch. I mounted the scope on my Voyager alt-az. First I let it acclimate for about an hour. The test star was Polaris. Seeing was about 3/5. According to CSC, the seeing was poor, 2/5, but I don't think it was that bad. In fact, I know it wasn't.

I put in my Brandon 6mm for 125x, 20.8x per inch, 1.2mm exit pupil. At about 10 wavelengths, the diffraction pattern looked virtually identical on both sides of focus. I could see no appreciable difference. At about 5 wavelengths, inside focus showed a darker separation between the outermost ring and the next ring in, than appeared outside focus. But this difference wasn't always as prominent as I switched quickly between the 5 wavelength in and out of focus settings. I also tested with my XO 5.1 for 147x, 24.5x per inch, and 1mm exit pupil. The results were the same.

I'd like to test the scope again during better seeing.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5813043 - 04/21/13 01:15 PM

Later I took the XLT 150 out for its first light. It was easy to carry the mounted scope down the five steps of my porch and around to the side of my building. I observed the Moon and Saturn. The Moon was gibbous, 10 days old and at 75% illumination. I used my Brandon 6, XO 5.1, and TV 3-6 Nagler Zoom. In all these eyepieces, the Moon showed good contrast and good surface detail toward the terminator. The three major Rimae Hippalus were easy, with suggestions of a fourth. I also saw the network of Rimae Ramsden. Volcanic dome Kies Pi was visible. I could use the Nagler Zoom down to 3mm for 250x, 42x per inch, and still see a good image. The only problem was the 0.6mm exit pupil, which made my eye floaters very obvious over the bright lunar surface.

I could not see any definite craterlets in Plato, which surprised me. Maybe Plato was too far away from the terminator for adequate contrast or the seeing needed to be better? I'll have to try that again at another time.

I also looked at Saturn with the XO 5.1 and Nagler Zoom. The image began to become less sharp than I like below about 4mm (187x, 31x per inch), probably because of the average seeing. I could see Cassini's Division around nearly the entire visible ring. A wide, dusky SEB was easy, and the SPR was nearly as easy to see.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5813045 - 04/21/13 01:15 PM

Due to competition from the bright gibbous Moon, I did not bother to look at any DSO. I planned to use this 6" f/5 Newt mostly for wide field DSO at a dark site when I go there with my family, and don't feel like stuffing the vehicle with my 10" Dob. But judging from the results with the Moon and Saturn, it should do well with deep sky, also.

I really should fully flock the OTA and the focuser. A fan for the primary mirror would be nice but not an absolute necessity, especially for DSO.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5813055 - 04/21/13 01:24 PM

As Moynihan mentioned, the OTA is shorter than it optimally should be. With the 1.25" visual back in the focuser, I needed to edge some eyepieces a little bit out of the focuser in order to come to focus. These were the Brandon 8mm and 6mm, and the TV 3-6mm Nagler Zoom.

The OTA should have been made longer. This would have allowed a smaller diagonal and a lower profile focuser. I intend to take measurements of the scope, plug them into NewtWin, and generate the specs, especially the CO %.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5817326 - 04/23/13 12:10 PM

Has anyone else received their XLT 150? Any first lights?

Mike

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #5817366 - 04/23/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

Has anyone else received their XLT 150? Any first lights?

Mike

Finally received shipment notice that mine will arrive this afternoon sometime. First light may be a few days!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6923

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics