Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5817399 - 04/23/13 12:52 PM

Quote:

Has anyone else received their XLT 150? Any first lights?

Mike

I first-lighted mine back on 3/3 from my neighborhood (white zone) in poor transparency, poor seeing conditions. There was still a lot of snow on the ground at the time and it reflected a lot of light back up into the sky, worsening the already poor conditions. I observed Jupiter, NGC 2362, M67, M44, Saturn and attempted the Leo Triplet (0/3). Still, images were crisp and enjoyable, though I did not do any critical testing of the scope and was just glad I had a chance to get it out.

Like you said Mike, this will do best as a widefield specialty scope under dark skies. I top out at a ~3* TFOV when coupled with my Pan 35; I cannot wait to try that at a dark site, scanning the Milky Way!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Locoman]
      #5817402 - 04/23/13 12:53 PM

Locoman,

Give us a first light report!

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos (04/24/13 02:44 PM)

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5817721 - 04/23/13 02:56 PM

Quote:

As Moynihan mentioned, the OTA is shorter than it optimally should be. With the 1.25" visual back in the focuser, I needed to edge some eyepieces a little bit out of the focuser in order to come to focus.

that would be good for doing prime focal photography or binoviewing.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5818243 - 04/23/13 06:18 PM

I have absolutely no interest in photography ... but I do like binoviewing. I'll have to check that out! It would be great if I could binoview this 6" Newt without having to use a Barlow or OCA.

Has anyone else binoviewed the XLT 150?

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5818791 - 04/23/13 10:29 PM

Well, I took the XLT 150 out this evening for some Moon viewing. I also brought along my binoviewer kit for experimentation.

No real surprise here: The binoviewer could not come to focus in the XLT 150. No shocker, since I've never owned a Newt that could focus a binoviewer without a Barlow or OCA. Just not gonna happin'. Maybe folks with a truss scope can chop down some struts to get a binoviewer to focus. Forgetabout. I don't need a native focus binoviewer that badly.

In any case, I slipped on a 1.9x OCA and binoviewed the Moon for about an hour. I used the following pairs: TV Plossl 26, Meade 5k SWA 24, TV Plossl 20, Brandon 16, Brandon 8, TV Plossl 11 and TV Plossl 7.4. These pairs gave me powers from 55x to 193x. The higher magnifications were a little much for the seeing, which was only about 2/5.

I ended up removing the binoviewer and just using the TV Plossl 7.4 at 101x. Once again I was pleasantly surprised by the TV Plossls for lunar, something which goes against the usual consensus. I actually liked the view through the TV Plossls better than the Brandons. For whatever reason, at least sometimes I prefer a warm view for lunar rather than a pure white tone.

Mike

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5819934 - 04/24/13 02:35 PM

Quote:

Give us a first light report!

Mike

What I wrote above is my first light report! It's not much, I know. I really do need to get in more time with this scope.

Glad to hear that it can be BV'ed with, even though an OCA is required. The powers are pretty low and fields pretty wide, still, I would imagine, even with a 1.9x OCA.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Starman81]
      #5819957 - 04/24/13 02:44 PM

Starman81,

My post was intended for Locoman. You must have slipped in your post immediately before I answered Locoman. It is a good idea to put the name of the person you're responding to or a quote from the person's post at the top of your post. I need to do that more often!

Mike

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #5820085 - 04/24/13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Starman81,

My post was intended for Locoman. You must have slipped in your post immediately before I answered Locoman. It is a good idea to put the name of the person you're responding to or a quote from the person's
post at the top of your post. I need to do that more often!

I received my 150 xlt yesterday with no damage at all. It sure is a good looking scope and the two inch crayford is a big bonus. First light may be a while though!
Doug

Mike

MikeCatfin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/04

Loc: NJ, USA
Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: Locoman]
      #5822460 - 04/25/13 03:56 PM

Looks like I missed out on this deal. It appears that it is both out of stock and the price listed is now $269.00.
Oh well, he who hesitates....

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: MikeCatfin]
      #5822640 - 04/25/13 05:07 PM

Dude, you have my old avatar. Damn your eyes.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: JimMo]
      #5823696 - 04/26/13 07:15 AM

He must be t.r.'s brother!

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5823754 - 04/26/13 08:12 AM

Last night I made another attempt to come to focus with my binoviewer in the XLT 150. I took the stock 1.25" adapter out of the focuser and inserted the low profile adapter from my Paracorr. I put in the binoviewer and tried to focus on the Moon from a window in my house. I used the same eyepieces as when I binoviewed the Moon a few nights ago.

None of them would come to focus with the binoviewer in native mode. Not even close. Maybe if the 2" focuser were replaced with a low-profile it could be done, but I doubt even that would work. Anyway, I don't think it would be cost-effective. I'm not doing it. As I said, I've never had a Newt that would come to focus with a binoviewer without using a Barlow or OCA.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5830403 - 04/29/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

I also looked at Saturn with the XO 5.1 and Nagler Zoom. The image began to become less sharp than I like below about 4mm (187x, 31x per inch), probably because of the average seeing. I could see Cassini's Division around nearly the entire visible ring. A wide, dusky SEB was easy, and the SPR was nearly as easy to see.

This needs to be corrected. It was the NEB and NPR, not SEB and SPR. My excuse is that I had recently first lighted a 6" SCT, which does not flip the image - a source of confusion between the two scopes. I try to catch these mistakes before the editing time-limit elapses for a post.

Mike

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5843275 - 05/06/13 11:03 AM

Quote:

Last night I made another attempt to come to focus with my binoviewer in the XLT 150. I took the stock 1.25" adapter out of the focuser and inserted the low profile adapter from my Paracorr. I put in the binoviewer and tried to focus on the Moon from a window in my house. I used the same eyepieces as when I binoviewed the Moon a few nights ago.

None of them would come to focus with the binoviewer in native mode. Not even close. Maybe if the 2" focuser were replaced with a low-profile it could be done, but I doubt even that would work. Anyway, I don't think it would be cost-effective. I'm not doing it. As I said, I've never had a Newt that would come to focus with a binoviewer without using a Barlow or OCA.

Mike

Last night I was playing around with my 8"f6 tube dob using the binos with no compensator.

I pointed the scope at zenith and with the primary sitting on a "pedestal"[a paint can] I slid my tube down till I could reach focus.

The primary wound up 4" in from standard position. When I put the numbers in newt for the web, I'll have to change the secondary from 1.5" to a 2.14" to get 100% light.

So if you want to use the binos with no compensator you'll have to use a different cell mounting plate that allows you to move the primary a lot closer to the secondary [4"]. I'm sure your stock secondary is big enough, they tend to oversize them...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5845346 - 05/07/13 11:24 AM

I have a Z8 f/6 which is probably similar to the Dob you're describing. The stock diagonal is somewhat oversized. I actually canabalized a smaller diagonal from a 5" f/5 Newt to replace the one in the Z8, to achieve a smaller CO%.

For myself, I'm not too gung ho about moding any of my Newts so they would be able to binoview without an OC or Barlow. My old model Burgess Binoviewer has a relatively narrow CA in any case, so there wouldn't be much point to it. I use my binoviewer almost exclusively for planet/lunar. I'm not really too interested in binoviewing for low-power wide-field.

I suppose, though, that moding the 6" f/5 for richfield binoviews at a dark site wouldn't be a bad idea. I guess I could raise the mirror cell up somehow. I have an old mirror cell from an ancient 6" f/8 in the attic. For richfield, it might be a good idea to take the diagonal that was in my Z8 and put that in the 6" f/5.

But then I should replace my binoviewer with one that has a wider CA to accommodate the wider field stops in low power eyepieces. Then it starts to cost some money. Otherwise it would be a waste of time, because there would be vignetting in the binoviewer with loss of light and constriction of the effective field of view.

Mike

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
      #5845464 - 05/07/13 12:39 PM

Man, oh, man...

You're making me regret not getting the Portamount back at the Ford Club Swap&Shop Expo!

Chuck

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5845663 - 05/07/13 01:52 PM

Quote:

I suppose, though, that moding the 6" f/5 for richfield binoviews at a dark site wouldn't be a bad idea. I guess I could raise the mirror cell up somehow. I have an old mirror cell from an ancient 6" f/8 in the attic. For richfield, it might be a good idea to take the diagonal that was in my Z8 and put that in the 6" f/5.

I had mine in my 127f5.5 fractor this last weekend at a dark site and some of the views were awesome. I took off the corrector and removed the diagonal, and while looking around aruiga I couldn't keep my mouth shut. and everything was crisp. it was low to the horizon so I could set it up as a straight thru view. later while it wasn't even totally dark yet I had m81&82 in the same view with the diagonal and 1.6 comp. 82 was very distinct.

I spent more time with my 127 and bino's than my truss 8"f6 that has a good figure on it.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5884767 - 05/25/13 10:29 PM

I got a chance to second-light my Omni XLT 150 last weekend at a club observing night... There was a waxing Moon to contend with but splitting doubles in Lyra and views of Saturn were pretty good. Seeing was only average, though and the CD was elusive in all scopes out there that night. Views of M13 were decent as well, I thought a bit faint at 150x. I realized later on that my XW 5 was NOT in the focuser (150x) but instead the XW 7 (107x), so that explains that.

CN'er JimMo let me try his ES100 25mm in the scope--3.3* TFOV, 30x, wow what an immersive view! I didn't even have to rebalance the scope. One thing I must add though, the XLT 150 was very shakey for some reason on the AT Voyager mount. So shakey that when other observers walked around near the scope on the pavement, the scope shaked A LOT and this was with the extension pier on the Voyager mount. I'll have to make it a bit more stable...

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
      #5919732 - 06/13/13 11:01 PM

Anyone sells the new version OTA-only with a 2" focuser? Telescopes.net advertises the model with the 1.25" only, according to the site.

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
Re: Finally--a stock 6" f/5 w/2" focuser--Omni XLT 150 new [Re: belgrade]
      #5926715 - 06/18/13 12:53 AM

It's said that since Lincoln was President. It's been pointed out repeatedly -- the specs say its a helical focuser -- the ninnies won't update it. LAZY. However, if you call them, they will swear on a stack of Bhagvad Gitas that it ships with a 2" single speed Crayford ( la Orion dobs). Don't let their poorly maintained website fool you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7156

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics