Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Is a goto scope nescessary new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5918867 - 06/13/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

I'm now coming full circle and enjoying purely star hopping using no GoTo as I started back in 1995. With star hoppng to find objects, it's the manual hunt for the illusive objects that is satisfying than automatically letting the scope find it. GoTo throws everything in your face and after a while, the procedure gets boring. There's no brain work pushing buttons. Planning beforehand and locating an object on star atlas, star hopping using the atlas-finder-eyepiece routine is all part of the exhilarating experience of observing. Its the anticipation of finding what you have planned for. It's using your equipment more directly. It creates more of a connection with you, your telescope, and the sky. By the end of the evening, this is more satisfying than having used GoTo to find 30 objects on a list.

What really matters is what each of us enjoys. Peter enjoys starhopping and finds GOTO boring. When I started out, I used manual setting circles to find my way around the sky. But I realized that while I was finding the objects, it was a mechanical process and I really didn't know where in the sky I was looking.. It wasn't satisfying.

I found a Cometron Jr 125 at a yard sale... $40... Optically not much of a scope compared to orange tube C-8 but I discovered the joys of starhopping and since then, I haven't looked back...

The point here though is not that Starhopping is better than GOTO or Visa versa but rather what is important is doing it the way I like to do it.

Bill finds starhopping in his urban environment a severe limitation, from my urban backyard, probably clearer and darker than Bill's it's a challenge.. Spotting the Helix Nebulae with an 80mm in the muck.. it's not much to look at but it sure is a thrill to see it.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: Is a goto scope nescessary new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5926021 - 06/17/13 05:44 PM

Quote:

I'd guess that the ones really interested in the objects would like the simple scope, while the ones that are captivated by gadgets and gizmos would gravitate toward gotos.

I don't think that has to be the case. The reason I have a goto scope is because I don't like the equipment getting in between me and observing. Once your goto scope is setup, it pretty much disappears into the background and lets you concentrate on observing without thinking about pointing, tracking, etc.

I *would* agree with the corollary though: If you *don't* like gadgets and gizmos and/or find them confusing, then goto is NOT the thing for you.

Edited by Jarrod (06/17/13 05:46 PM)

TL2101
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Concord, Ca
Re: Is a goto scope necessary new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5926075 - 06/17/13 06:19 PM

I can understand that starhopping requires more skill and talent than goto but for me goto has some serious advantages. One is I view from my home and may only view for a couple hours at a time. With goto I can get more objects in and search for objects on the edge of my scopes capability without spending a lot of extra time.

Goto enables me to search out neo's and comets without wondering if I am actually looking in the right place.

I can see starhopping for the easy to see objects but for the difficult ones give me my goto.

Edited by TL2101 (06/17/13 06:25 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Is a goto scope nescessary new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5926298 - 06/17/13 08:34 PM

Quote:

I don't think that has to be the case. The reason I have a goto scope is because I don't like the equipment getting in between me and observing. Once your goto scope is setup, it pretty much disappears into the background and lets you concentrate on observing without thinking about pointing, tracking, etc.

It really all depends on what we enjoy doing and how we enjoy doing it. For me, GOTO gets in the way of observing the night sky, it gets between me and the telescope. It represents time and effort, it represents taking my mind away from the eyepiece, from the night sky.

For me, observing includes more than just looking at a named object. Looking at a star field, I am observing it in much the same way I observe "objects", I am carefully looking at what I am seeing, inspecting it with care, learning and comparing it with what I remember. I "discover things" DSOs I had not known, even recognize variable stars because of changes to the field.

Herschel, Messier, those whom we follow, they discovered and they observed. It is possible for the modern amateur to enjoy those same thrills, there is no need to rush about, going from one object to the next without pausing to enjoy what is there, in between, what may be unseen.

Jon

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Is a goto scope nescessary new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5926722 - 06/18/13 01:02 AM

As stated, the real question goes back to the OP now. What is it you want and why do you want it? Answer that question and you'll have your answer and you'll know what to do What I want, what I do is right for me and what I enjoy and where I am at in my journey in the hobby. Lots of views and opinions, but again its up to the OP to determine what they want. In the posts members have listed the advantages of having or not having. so good luck in your decision.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1318

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics