Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: PeterR280]
      #6002112 - 08/01/13 08:56 PM

I checked the Barska with a laser pointer. There are definitely 3 sets of double reflections. It was hard to see because the anti-reflective coating. I took a picture of the lens.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Derek Wong
sage

Reged: 04/27/08

Loc: Glendale, CA
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: stevethatsmyname]
      #6002396 - 08/02/13 12:12 AM

My uncle brought both of these scopes over on a day of mediocre seeing. I was very surprised at their build quality. The focusers on these particular scopes were not as bad as the ones described elsewhere in the thread. The 65 was OK but the 80 was really sharp. The color correction and sharpness was not as good as an AP Stowaway, but it was not that far off. My only hesitation with buying one would be unit to unit consistency.

Derek

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Derek Wong]
      #6002410 - 08/02/13 12:29 AM

I am seeing similar performance from my 80mm.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6002982 - 08/02/13 10:47 AM

AP130-GT = "One scope to rule them all, one scope to find them, one scope to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

- Jim

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6002991 - 08/02/13 10:53 AM

Nice poem Jim Except I have been waiting for 9 years for the 130 and it still hasn't come. AP is supposed to ship it in August. I think some people have gotten them already. When I spoke to AP last month they said they would notify me when the lens goes out for coating. I may be the last one for the current production run.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#6003196 - 08/02/13 01:09 PM

Quote:

Hmm...seems to me like that's not such a great deal while Astronomers without Borders is selling Celestron C80 EDs for $349.

Regards,Jim.

A terrific deal Jim, mine was shipped to Canada with no shipping charges or brokerage or taxes claimed by Canada revenue, made a nice deal very nice indeed,DA.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6004847 - 08/03/13 01:38 PM

The AP 130 EDFGT will change your life. But keep in mind you're preparing to mount something with the mass of a C11. Scope with rings, AP dovetail, digonal, finder, and an eyepiece is 25.4 lbs. Be prepared. It's quite a surprise when it shows up. It is very dense feeling and extremely front-heavy compared to what you've been using (And you'll have trouble comprehending this until you pick it up the first time).

The images are in a class by themselves. If you go out with a list of things you want to look at and notice the crescent moon is up, you may want to take a look. That will blow your observing plans for the rest of the evening as it puts up an image so good its like never having seen the moon with a telescope before.

It was 9 years and 15 days for mine; it's just the way it is. Luckily, you have been doing what I did and not trying to put ringers for this scope in your inventory- it will have its own spot and things will make sense. Mine has already won more than one shootout with C14s on planets- this is going to be different.

Prepare for fun.

-Rich

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6004984 - 08/03/13 03:14 PM

Hi Rich

I will be using a G11 for the AP130GT. I use the G11 for my
C11 and it handles it fine. I also Have a CG-5. I'm going to see how it works for visual. The G11 is a bit much to transport.

Lew Zealand
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #6005632 - 08/04/13 12:07 AM

Quote:

Hmm...seems to me like that's not such a great deal while Astronomers without Borders is selling Celestron C80 EDs for $349.

Regards,

Jim

Ohhhhh I reeeeally shouldn't have read that. And gone to their website. And looked up if they have any left.

This would be the purchase that gets me in hot water with the CFO. Never mind that I bought $1800 in other optics (Sigma F1.8 18-35 zoom lens) and computer equipment in the last 48 hours. That's all OK.

I need another refractor like I need a hole in the head. Well, an additional head hole. But I don't have an Apo, even just an ED doublet. A li'l tiny thing.

Maybe I can put it off until this month's credit card window closes and I'll have a month of fun until _things_ happen. There are still a few unopened boxes of curtains and curtain rods in the living room. She'll not notice another box being delivered, it'll even be kinda the same shape!
What to do, what to do...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6006108 - 08/04/13 01:17 PM

Please post the Serial Number for your scope when it ships. I've taken to keeping track of how fast these are coming into being. Mine is #315 from March, 2011. So, this makes it possible to get some idea of how fast the list is being consumed. This is the first time it sounds like the list is being consumed with approximately the rate it was generated. I just about completely despaired when the first run only consumed about 6 months of the list. But then they were suddenly much further along it.

-Rich

Quote:

Hi Rich

I will be using a G11 for the AP130GT. I use the G11 for my
C11 and it handles it fine. I also Have a CG-5. I'm going to see how it works for visual. The G11 is a bit much to transport.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) [Re: Starhawk]
      #6008657 - 08/06/13 12:26 AM

FYI. I took apart the Crayford style focuser on the Barska. I had replaced it with a GSO which is much smoother. (I don't think I'll be able to put thr Barska back together again.) There isn't one piece of plastic in the Barska focuser. All the parts including the knobs are machined aluminum or steel.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) [Re: PeterR280]
      #6009177 - 08/06/13 11:00 AM

The focuser knobs on the unit I got from Amazon were *definitely* plastic and not metal. No doubt about it. Maybe Barska is specing focusers from different suppliers for different manufacturing runs.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) [Re: dpippel]
      #6009224 - 08/06/13 11:29 AM

They look like plastic but they are aluminum. I thought they were plastic too.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) [Re: PeterR280]
      #6009240 - 08/06/13 11:39 AM

Well I'm going from memory here since I returned the scope, but if they ARE aluminum then it's the cheapest feeling aluminum I've ever encountered.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) [Re: dpippel]
      #6009283 - 08/06/13 11:58 AM

So I guess you didn't like the focuser?

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6009410 - 08/06/13 12:50 PM

Not at all. The focuser was why I didn't keep the OTA. For me it was almost unusable and crippled an otherwise good little instrument. The additional expense of adding a decent Crayford wasn't worth it, so back it went.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: dpippel]
      #6009427 - 08/06/13 12:58 PM

I used a GSO I had. Love the scope now. i was going to put the GSO 2 speed on the C80ED, but I have it on the Barska. makes a nice compact package for travel. they really messed up with the focuser. It is much more complicated in design than a rack and pinion but works very coarsely. i wonder if Barska decided to make it themselves. they certainly did not skimp on the material.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#6009737 - 08/06/13 03:38 PM

Just a point about unscrewing the stock focuser on the Celestron C80 ED, some owners had a devil of a time shifting it due to soft paint getting on the threads when it was assembled.
One owner crushed the tube trying to clamp it to unscrew the stock unit, several others reported damage to the finish, just so you know,DA.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6009792 - 08/06/13 04:03 PM

Thanks. Mine screwed off fairly easily just using my hands. The tube is fairly thin on the C80ED.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

#6009814 - 08/06/13 04:12 PM

Cannot see any spec for the Barska lens, i.e. Cemented or air-spaced.
I have a Chinese 80mm f/7 Triplet that uses some strange type of glass, not the standard ED type or Chinese version.
The lens is cemented, and out of all the scopes I've owned this one has got the most superb contrast.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
38 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18940

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics