Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
stevethatsmyname
sage

Reged: 12/10/09

Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus)
      #3558394 - 01/13/10 02:30 PM

I just noticed these floating around on ebay, and decided to try and find a review... doesn't exist.

The brand name is Barska, I believe it is a chinese company that makes all kinds of sporting optics (scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars, laser sights, etc). They appear to only recently have made an 'ED APO'. A 65 and an 80. They claim it's a triplet, and they are selling the 80 for $484 (with tube, diagonal, focuser, and a 20mm plossl). I havent been around forever, but this is definitely cheaper than any of the ED Doublets i've seen around.

However, considering until now this company has only been known for selling hundreds of different varieties of low-mid end hunting scopes and binos, I'm really not one to trust that it's really on par with the other ED scopes in the same price range.

Anyone heard anything about them?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Takman
sage

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Maple, ON - Canada
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: stevethatsmyname]
      #3558706 - 01/13/10 04:45 PM

I'll spare you the "you get what you pay for" diatribe and say this... For not much more money you can get a reputable refractor telescope, use or even new. Best to avoid potential headaches for the sake of saving a few dollars. Oh wait, didn't I just say I'd spare you the diatribe?

darkbobb
journeyman

Reged: 07/08/10

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Takman]
      #4525059 - 04/17/11 08:48 PM

don't be afraid to pay too little; I bought one of these at $400- it came with a nice case-eyepieces were *BLEEP* but I expected that-optics are sharp with NO color-get one you won't regret it

calypsob
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/13

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: darkbobb]
      #5980739 - 07/20/13 12:25 AM

I have one and it is the most under rated triplet on the market, they run 383 right not and that is cheaper than some doublets. People complain about the focuser but all you need to do is use an eyeglass screwdriver to tighten the screws down which clamp the focusing axle. the focuser does not pull a dslr very well at zenith but I compensate by pushing the drawtube in and allowing the focuser to gently lower the camera into focus. I have to disagree with darkbobb on the eyepieces, Mine came with a 10-24mm ep and a 6mm plossl. The zoom ep is fully multicoated green and the plossl seems ok, I have never used another so I couldn't tell you. This scope is a true apochromatic triplet. The cell can be removed via a silicone filter wrench and there are indeed 3 elements that make up the objective. The same green coating on the ep is found on the front objective. the aluminum dewshield is built in and very nice. It has a W.O. style foot for mounting the scope but I bought some 90mm clamp rings to mount mine. Color correction is great, when used with a 5x apo barlow you can easily make out the cassini division of saturn with each color in very good focus. I use a hotech field flattener with this scope for imaging, and highly recommend this setup.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: calypsob]
      #6001438 - 08/01/13 02:38 PM

The optical performance is great. I bought one from Amazon for $368. they have since raised the price. I had a decent quality Crayford focuser with a Celestron C80ED adapter. The focuser on the Barska unscrews from the main tube. There is a 1 inch collar in front of the focuser assembly. The collar holds the small Vixen style mounting plate. The collar unscrews from the main tube (note that the rotation tightening ring unscrews as well, the collar sits in front of the tightening ring). The threads on the main tube are exactly the same as the C80ED. I put on the new 2 speed focuser and it works much better than the stock focuser. it also shortened the OTA by about an inch or so to make it even more compact. There is enough travel. Except for the focuser, the telescope is built very well. It's quite solid.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: PeterR280]
      #6001488 - 08/01/13 03:01 PM

I found the focuser on this telescope to be so poor that I returned it to Amazon for a refund. The OTA appears to be well made and it performs well optically, but IMO it's worthless unless the stock focuser is replaced with something usable. Suddenly it's not such a good deal any more. YMMV.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: dpippel]
      #6001495 - 08/01/13 03:03 PM

Works and looks and performs like a $1,000 scope with the new focuser.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6001499 - 08/01/13 03:05 PM

By the way comparison with the C 80ED was very telling. the image control is much better than the C80ED. It's probably the 3 lens design.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6001505 - 08/01/13 03:10 PM

What do you mean by "image control"? I also compared the two instruments side-by-side and saw very little difference between them. If there had been I would have kept the Barska, upgraded the focuser, and sold the C80.

KWB
Postmaster

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet
      #6001529 - 08/01/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

By the way comparison with the C 80ED was very telling. the image control is much better than the C80ED. It's probably the 3 lens design.

What exactly do you mean by image control? Is it the visable reduction of observable chromatic abberation?

The C80ED is very well corrected for the visable reduction of observable chromatic abberation IMO and IME. In my viewing of the Moon with the C80ED,it produces a clean,white image,contrasted with deep blacks in the craters. When the sky is stable,Venus shows a very nice white image as well. Jupiter shows none of it to my eye,either.

For this telescope to show "much better" correction in terms of CA,I'd truely be surprised. I've never viewed through an NP-101 or a Tak-78 but those telescopes may well do a more easily noticeable job in controlling this visual abberation if a sharp,highly experienced eye was really looking for it. That wouldn't surprise me. For this Barska telescope to do it,that truely does.

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: KWB]
      #6001592 - 08/01/13 04:10 PM

I'm with Kenny on this the 80ed is excellent in controlling chromatic Aberration.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: KWB]
      #6001594 - 08/01/13 04:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What exactly do you mean by image control? Is it the visable reduction of observable chromatic abberation?

The C80ED is very well corrected for the visable reduction of observable chromatic abberation IMO and IME. In my viewing of the Moon with the C80ED,it produces a clean,white image,contrasted with deep blacks in the craters. When the sky is stable,Venus shows a very nice white image as well. Jupiter shows none of it to my eye,either.

For this telescope to show "much better" correction in terms of CA,I'd truely be surprised. I've never viewed through an NP-101 or a Tak-78 but those telescopes may well do a more easily noticeable job in controlling this visual abberation if a sharp,highly experienced eye was really looking for it. That wouldn't surprise me. For this Barska telescope to do it,that truely does.

Kenny:

I have not had a chance to look through the Barska ED scope, I did own an ED-80 and currently own a WO 80mm F/7 FD Doublet, both of which use the good FPL-53 glass, as well as an NP-101. To my eye, the ED-80 and the WO 80mm F/7 FD have very good color correction with no visible fringing around Venus, I find Venus the most revealing when it comes to chromatic aberration.

The Barska Magnus 80ED appears to be one of the scopes manufactured in Asia, probably by Kunming United. I know the web pages state it is a triplet, I would be interested in knowing if anyone has actually tested the objective with a laser to count the number of reflections?

From I have seen over the years, the Asian 80mm ED with the 560mm focal length are almost always a doublet based on HFK-61, a Chinese glass similar to FPL-51, this would be consistent at this price point. If it were a triplet, it would almost certainly have to be an HFK-61 triplet rather than an FPL-53 triplet, the HFK-61 could provide color correction similar to the C80ED.

Jon

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6001613 - 08/01/13 04:22 PM

The color control in my C80ED is very good. I may have some problem in the optics, perhaps misalignment or pinched optics. At high magnification on a bright star, the image through the Barska was sharper and cleaner than the C80ED..

pdxmoon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
      #6001629 - 08/01/13 04:27 PM

I only have observed La Luna and Saturn with my ED80. Color excellent.

Edited by pdxmoon (08/01/13 04:28 PM)

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #6001713 - 08/01/13 05:07 PM

Love my C80 ED, for the price its a steal, worth mentioning that a scope touted as a triplet will not mean that its better than a doublet, my Meade 5000 ED 80 triplet was a major let down optics wise,great mechanics but the image went soft above 100x, however my lowly Orion ED80 doublet has a great piece of glass in the front end, the Celestron C80 ED that arrived last week is still being evaluated but it looks just as good,DA.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6001722 - 08/01/13 05:12 PM

i am just basing it on what i saw through the C80ED and the Barska.

I had a question. Using a 3mm eyepiece and looking at a bright star with the barska, at focus the star showed a fine diffraction ring fairly close to the star. i had not noticed that in other telescopes. is that normal?

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6001743 - 08/01/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

i am just basing it on what i saw through the C80ED and the Barska.

I had a question. Using a 3mm eyepiece and looking at a bright star with the barska, at focus the star showed a fine diffraction ring fairly close to the star. i had not noticed that in other telescopes. is that normal?

The Airy disk and diffraction ring(s) are normal if the seeing is sufficiently stable. They are easier to see in smaller scope since they are larger. The size of the Airy disk and diffraction rings is inversely proportional to the aperture as well as to the exit pupil. With the 3mm, the magnification is 187x with an exit pupil of 0.43mm.

If that were a 10 inch, it would have required about 600x to see the ring structure in the same way, that takes some good seeing.

I would be interested in the laser test, shine a laser through the objective and see how many bright spots you see, those are glass surfaces.

Jon

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6001900 - 08/01/13 06:53 PM

Hmm...seems to me like that's not such a great deal while Astronomers without Borders is selling Celestron C80 EDs for $349.

Regards,

Jim

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6001918 - 08/01/13 07:00 PM

I bought the C80ED also

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6001945 - 08/01/13 07:11 PM

I went on a bargain shopping spree. I bought the C102 GT for $59. (great scope regardless of money), the C80ED for $349 and the Barska 80ED for $368. I'm keeping the C102 and the Barska. I may give the C80ED as a gift to a nephew. image are very good in all of them. All of these purchases were some sort of a rebellious move in anticipation of the AP130GT that's supposed to come this month. AP hasn't sent shipping notice yet. I've been waiting 9+ years.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6002112 - 08/01/13 08:56 PM

I checked the Barska with a laser pointer. There are definitely 3 sets of double reflections. It was hard to see because the anti-reflective coating. I took a picture of the lens.

Derek Wong
sage

Reged: 04/27/08

Loc: Glendale, CA
      #6002396 - 08/02/13 12:12 AM

My uncle brought both of these scopes over on a day of mediocre seeing. I was very surprised at their build quality. The focusers on these particular scopes were not as bad as the ones described elsewhere in the thread. The 65 was OK but the 80 was really sharp. The color correction and sharpness was not as good as an AP Stowaway, but it was not that far off. My only hesitation with buying one would be unit to unit consistency.

Derek

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Derek Wong]
      #6002410 - 08/02/13 12:29 AM

I am seeing similar performance from my 80mm.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6002982 - 08/02/13 10:47 AM

AP130-GT = "One scope to rule them all, one scope to find them, one scope to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

- Jim

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6002991 - 08/02/13 10:53 AM

Nice poem Jim Except I have been waiting for 9 years for the 130 and it still hasn't come. AP is supposed to ship it in August. I think some people have gotten them already. When I spoke to AP last month they said they would notify me when the lens goes out for coating. I may be the last one for the current production run.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#6003196 - 08/02/13 01:09 PM

Quote:

Hmm...seems to me like that's not such a great deal while Astronomers without Borders is selling Celestron C80 EDs for $349.

Regards,Jim.

A terrific deal Jim, mine was shipped to Canada with no shipping charges or brokerage or taxes claimed by Canada revenue, made a nice deal very nice indeed,DA.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6004847 - 08/03/13 01:38 PM

The AP 130 EDFGT will change your life. But keep in mind you're preparing to mount something with the mass of a C11. Scope with rings, AP dovetail, digonal, finder, and an eyepiece is 25.4 lbs. Be prepared. It's quite a surprise when it shows up. It is very dense feeling and extremely front-heavy compared to what you've been using (And you'll have trouble comprehending this until you pick it up the first time).

The images are in a class by themselves. If you go out with a list of things you want to look at and notice the crescent moon is up, you may want to take a look. That will blow your observing plans for the rest of the evening as it puts up an image so good its like never having seen the moon with a telescope before.

It was 9 years and 15 days for mine; it's just the way it is. Luckily, you have been doing what I did and not trying to put ringers for this scope in your inventory- it will have its own spot and things will make sense. Mine has already won more than one shootout with C14s on planets- this is going to be different.

Prepare for fun.

-Rich

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6004984 - 08/03/13 03:14 PM

Hi Rich

I will be using a G11 for the AP130GT. I use the G11 for my
C11 and it handles it fine. I also Have a CG-5. I'm going to see how it works for visual. The G11 is a bit much to transport.

Lew Zealand
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #6005632 - 08/04/13 12:07 AM

Quote:

Regards,

Jim

Ohhhhh I reeeeally shouldn't have read that. And gone to their website. And looked up if they have any left.

This would be the purchase that gets me in hot water with the CFO. Never mind that I bought $1800 in other optics (Sigma F1.8 18-35 zoom lens) and computer equipment in the last 48 hours. That's all OK.

I need another refractor like I need a hole in the head. Well, an additional head hole. But I don't have an Apo, even just an ED doublet. A li'l tiny thing.

Maybe I can put it off until this month's credit card window closes and I'll have a month of fun until _things_ happen. There are still a few unopened boxes of curtains and curtain rods in the living room. She'll not notice another box being delivered, it'll even be kinda the same shape!
What to do, what to do...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6006108 - 08/04/13 01:17 PM

Please post the Serial Number for your scope when it ships. I've taken to keeping track of how fast these are coming into being. Mine is #315 from March, 2011. So, this makes it possible to get some idea of how fast the list is being consumed. This is the first time it sounds like the list is being consumed with approximately the rate it was generated. I just about completely despaired when the first run only consumed about 6 months of the list. But then they were suddenly much further along it.

-Rich

Quote:

Hi Rich

I will be using a G11 for the AP130GT. I use the G11 for my
C11 and it handles it fine. I also Have a CG-5. I'm going to see how it works for visual. The G11 is a bit much to transport.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6008657 - 08/06/13 12:26 AM

FYI. I took apart the Crayford style focuser on the Barska. I had replaced it with a GSO which is much smoother. (I don't think I'll be able to put thr Barska back together again.) There isn't one piece of plastic in the Barska focuser. All the parts including the knobs are machined aluminum or steel.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6009177 - 08/06/13 11:00 AM

The focuser knobs on the unit I got from Amazon were *definitely* plastic and not metal. No doubt about it. Maybe Barska is specing focusers from different suppliers for different manufacturing runs.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6009224 - 08/06/13 11:29 AM

They look like plastic but they are aluminum. I thought they were plastic too.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6009240 - 08/06/13 11:39 AM

Well I'm going from memory here since I returned the scope, but if they ARE aluminum then it's the cheapest feeling aluminum I've ever encountered.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6009283 - 08/06/13 11:58 AM

So I guess you didn't like the focuser?

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6009410 - 08/06/13 12:50 PM

Not at all. The focuser was why I didn't keep the OTA. For me it was almost unusable and crippled an otherwise good little instrument. The additional expense of adding a decent Crayford wasn't worth it, so back it went.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6009427 - 08/06/13 12:58 PM

I used a GSO I had. Love the scope now. i was going to put the GSO 2 speed on the C80ED, but I have it on the Barska. makes a nice compact package for travel. they really messed up with the focuser. It is much more complicated in design than a rack and pinion but works very coarsely. i wonder if Barska decided to make it themselves. they certainly did not skimp on the material.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#6009737 - 08/06/13 03:38 PM

Just a point about unscrewing the stock focuser on the Celestron C80 ED, some owners had a devil of a time shifting it due to soft paint getting on the threads when it was assembled.
One owner crushed the tube trying to clamp it to unscrew the stock unit, several others reported damage to the finish, just so you know,DA.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6009792 - 08/06/13 04:03 PM

Thanks. Mine screwed off fairly easily just using my hands. The tube is fairly thin on the C80ED.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

#6009814 - 08/06/13 04:12 PM

Cannot see any spec for the Barska lens, i.e. Cemented or air-spaced.
I have a Chinese 80mm f/7 Triplet that uses some strange type of glass, not the standard ED type or Chinese version.
The lens is cemented, and out of all the scopes I've owned this one has got the most superb contrast.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Rutilus]
      #6009822 - 08/06/13 04:18 PM Attachment (201 downloads)

Here is a picture of my Triplet. I should have mentioned that if it is a Triplet, you should easily know by how heavy the nose end is on the scope.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6009832 - 08/06/13 04:25 PM

it could be the same lens. Barska doesn't provide any details. They mostly manufacture hunting gear. This is a departure for them. From what I could see they manufactured the OTA and focuser in house. There isn't anything else like it. The lens could be the same as the one you have. The color correction and contrast are superb on the 80mm triplet I have. When I shined a laser pointer at the lens, I could see 3 sets of double reflections. I don't know if a cemented lens would show that.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6009883 - 08/06/13 04:47 PM

it's a heavy telescope. The tube and dew shield are heavy tubing as well.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

#6011752 - 08/07/13 03:55 PM

I was amazed when viewing on the night of a Full moon with bino-viewers in my scope, the Contrast was stunning.
I had Two Takahashi Apo's and the Chinese Triplet won.
I've just done a laser pointer on mine and I only see one set of double reflections, so I guess that the Barska may very well be air spaced.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6019276 - 08/11/13 03:50 PM

Meade has relatively low cost air spaced triplet APOs in their 6000 series. the 80mm is f/7. I wonder if it could be the same lens.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

#6019459 - 08/11/13 06:20 PM

Yes, I did forget about the excellent Meade.

rmel66

Reged: 08/01/08

Loc: Canada
      #6031000 - 08/17/13 01:44 PM

There is a VisionKing 65mm triplet APO (Visionking 65390) available for less than $500 free shipping.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: rmel66]
      #6031281 - 08/17/13 04:04 PM

the Barska cost me $377 for the 80mm. I did spend about 150 for a focuser. I had mountings that fit.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #6032009 - 08/17/13 11:57 PM

I have owned several Barska products, I have never been unhappy with their goods.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6042038 - 08/23/13 03:06 PM

!!!! THANKYOU for sharing this. I was just about to mail the focuser to moonlight and pay an extra 100 to have them custom fit a dual speed, now I have many more options! I owe you one.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6042043 - 08/23/13 03:09 PM

The barska uses FPL-51 glass, vision king makes a similar scope and the glass comes from ohara after confirming with customer service.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6043045 - 08/24/13 06:46 AM

Quote:

the Barska cost me $377 for the 80mm. I did spend about 150 for a focuser. I had mountings that fit.

Which base size did you choose from GSO? there is an option for 86mm, 96, and 112mm on ebay.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6043358 - 08/24/13 10:52 AM

The 86mm is a perfect fit. The focuser on the Barska unscrews from the main tube and the thread size is identical to the C80ED. You need the c80ed adapter also. The Barska focuser has two threads. One for the rotating collar and the ring behind the rotation collar that screws into the main tube. You have to unscrew the part that goes to the main tube.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6043363 - 08/24/13 10:55 AM Attachment (159 downloads)

this is the picture with the GSO focuser

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6043382 - 08/24/13 11:09 AM Attachment (133 downloads)

Here is another picture with the tube extended. The focuser makes a smaller package. It is 18 inches with the tube and focuser collapsed.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6050768 - 08/28/13 02:05 PM

Wow that looks great. Do you think the fine focus is mandatory for astrophotography? I find that i rarely use fine focus on the existing crayford.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6050787 - 08/28/13 02:13 PM

I don't do photography but i do use the fine focus at times. I don't think it's absolutely mandatory. it just makes focus easier sometimes.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6052813 - 08/29/13 03:36 PM

fantastic, is that a CG5 mount? I just ordered a GSO setup off of ebay so thanks for being the first one on the internet to figure out the focuser on the magnus! This is really going to help people out with this scope, I think the number one reason people return it is because it wont support the weight of a camera or eyepiece/diagonal very well.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6052873 - 08/29/13 04:03 PM

It's an older CG-4 mount but i think it's equivalent to the newer CG-5. I was scratching my head as to how to adapt the GSO Crayford and while playing with the Barsa focuser the part that screws on to the main tube came loose. i had the C80ED adapter and amazingly it fit. It does shorten the tube so you may need extension tube for certain eyepieces.

Terry Fowler

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Apple Valley, CA
      #6055724 - 08/31/13 09:43 AM

Well jrbarnett - you just cost me $369. I was planning to get one of the 80mm Orion short tube refractors I've been seeing for about $100, but now I have a C80ED on the way and it should arrive on Tuesday. Oh, since I was going to spend $100 anyway I guess you only cost me $269! Now to find a mount worthy of it.

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Terry Fowler]
      #6055914 - 08/31/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Well jrbarnett - you just cost me $369. I was planning to get one of the 80mm Orion short tube refractors I've been seeing for about $100, but now I have a C80ED on the way and it should arrive on Tuesday. Oh, since I was going to spend $100 anyway I guess you only cost me $269! Now to find a mount worthy of it.

I, OTOH, already have a ST80 (picked up for $80 as a second from Orion) and the 102GT that has been much discussed recently (both great deals), and a 90mm Meade OTA (800mm FL, which I guess is a DS2090) which I picked up for $25 at RTMC two years ago.

The 102GT has a chromatic aberration index of 2.70 (seeing has how it is really a 97mm scope as another poster has revealed), which suggests only a little would be visible (I'll have to take it out with the Moon to see), and it has larger aperture.

As attractive as the C80ED deal is, it feels like gilding the lily to add yet another refractor in the same aperture range. If compactness matters the ST80 has that covered, if low CA is called for the 102GT should do pretty well there, and people are liking its optical quality, and the Meade 90mm fills the gap in size between them with a compromise CA (much better than the ST80, a little worse than the 102GT).

Has anyone compared the CA in the C80ED and 102GT directly?

Can anyone make a case for getting this in addition? I am inclined not, but the scopes won't be available for long so would I get "non-buyers remorse" later?

Edited by careysub (08/31/13 12:24 PM)

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: careysub]
      #6055953 - 08/31/13 12:13 PM

I have the C102GT (2 of them, I have no idea why I bought 2,) the C80ED and the Barska 80mm triplet. They were all bought based on comments on this site. My favorites are the C102GT and the Barska, although I did replace the focuser with a GSO 2 speed Crayford style. I had originally bought the focuser for the C80ED.

To answer your question, the C102GT is close to the C80ED as far as CA. I may have a very good copy of the C102GT. The Barska shows no color. I used all 3 on Venus. You can see a gradient of color very much like a prism with the C102GT and the C80ED. The C80 was better corrected but not by much. Venus looked white with the Barska. On Saturn, C102GT beats both scopes but that would be expected based on the size, the image is brighter and you can go to higher magnification. Saturn looks the same on the C80ED and the Barska. Both the 80mm scopes began to give out beyond 170-180 magnification. The C102 could go to over 200 magnification and as I said the planet was definitely brighter. I was using a TeleVue 3-6mm zoom for Saturn.

On Star tests, I got similar patterns to the above pictures for the C102GT. I showed less violet than the picture above. The Barska also does well. When focused at 200x, the star is bright white in the center and a clearly defined white airy disc is visible on the Barska. The C80ED had a more poorly defined star test. I know the star test is not always accurate with refractors. I may have a poorer copy of the C80ED. I know some people show better results.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6061580 - 09/03/13 08:07 PM

Ok the GSO arrived today with the c80ed adapter. I have no idea how you were able to remove the huge threaded ring though, the focuser part is easy but the big ring is really on there.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6061602 - 09/03/13 08:29 PM

It should screw off

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6061626 - 09/03/13 08:42 PM

Keep the mounting dovetail on the ring. It will give you something to hold on to. I attached a picture to show the threads that screw on to the tube.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6061635 - 09/03/13 08:45 PM Attachment (101 downloads)

The picture didn't post.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6061660 - 09/03/13 09:03 PM

ok yea that is the C80 adapter right? I have been doing battle with this piece for over an hour now. It is really on there. I assume this piece is threaded to the thread that will adopt to the c80ed adapter. http://www.flickr.com/photos/70374000@N08/9669503356/

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6061664 - 09/03/13 09:05 PM

the picture is the Barska ring that you are trying to remove. the small dovetail screws onto it.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6061667 - 09/03/13 09:07 PM

Ok thanks. So is the large knurled thread and the dovetail piece on solid ring? Or are they 2 separate rings?

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6061670 - 09/03/13 09:07 PM

you have the wrench on the wrong thing. unscrew the ring with the screw hole tht hold the dovetail

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6061675 - 09/03/13 09:08 PM

WOOO! I got that bad boy off, thanks again! LOL

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6061676 - 09/03/13 09:09 PM

You were right though, I backed up the second wrench onto the dovetail area and held the tube with the first wrench.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6061677 - 09/03/13 09:09 PM

take off the knurled ring. you want to unscrew the one inch ring behind it. it screws onto the main tube. you want to remove the ring with the 4 holes for the dovetail

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6061750 - 09/03/13 09:56 PM

Peter, are you using a GSO guidescope or an orion on the focuser mount? Im trying to figure out if I can mount my orion guide scope on the focuser now. I got everything hooked up thanks to your advice.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6061755 - 09/03/13 10:01 PM

i am uisng the C80 finder and mount. i dont have a guidescope on it. did you get the Agena finder bracket? any standard finder mount should work.

The scope looks much nicer with the new focuser, doesn't it? It makes a nice compact package.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6062152 - 09/04/13 05:38 AM

No, no agena adapter. I think I am going to drill a hole in the center of my orion adapter and mount it on the focuser with an m4 screw. It looks a million times better now, here is a quick video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeWZcUNtmb0

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6062379 - 09/04/13 09:52 AM

I was going to drill a hole in my generic adapter too but got lazy. Look at the instruction for the finder mount adapter on the Agena web site. It shows what hole to use on the focuser.

The telescope looks great. Congratulations.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6062841 - 09/04/13 02:53 PM

Thanks it works great. In regards to the gt102 c80 and barska 80 i believe 2 achromats are being compared to a triplet. If this is the case the triplet will always win in color accuracy against any doublet, especially at f7. Each element in the triplrt brings RGB to focus on a separate element while a doublet usually focuses red and attempts to combine green and blue on the second element, the blue that falls out of the spectral capabilities of the second element go out of focus on the image plane thus creating blue chromatic abberations. The c80ed may be a great deal but its expensive for a doublet. The barska magnus 66 ed and 80mm ed are the cheapest apochromatic triplets on the market.

Scottxray

Reged: 08/06/10

#6064451 - 09/05/13 01:28 PM

Peter,

I also picked up a Barska 80 and was wondering about the total change in distance of focuser travel after mounting the GSO and C80 adapter?

The original Barska focuser looks to have 3.1 inches of travel ( just like the GSO ) but the adapter rings and two focusers have somewhat different lengths? I would assume
that there is somewhat more IN focus travel, but less out?

I don't want to get in a position of having to use a 2" diagonal with a camera or have the focuser racked nearly all the way out to achieve focus. Have you found any problem achieving proper focus with a camera?

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Scottxray]
      #6065110 - 09/05/13 07:58 PM

I am not using a camera yet. Only visual so for. I will probably set up a camera at some point.

It looks like you lose about .75 inches on the focuser itself. It is sitting closer to the tube. Travel on the GSO is 2.8 inches.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6065150 - 09/05/13 08:24 PM

Scott, I will let you know if the camera has issues. It should not have issues however because with the magnus focuser I could focus on stars when the tube was about 2.5" out of the focuser, the GSO goes out at least 5" so there should be plenty of room.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6065360 - 09/05/13 10:53 PM

i'm using a 1" extension for my Nikon. it gives plenty of room without diagonal.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6067268 - 09/07/13 06:00 AM

Scott, The barska will bring stars to focus at the 6 cm mark on the focuser scale when in use with the 80mm magnus, I confirmed this tonight with my t2i.

Scottxray

Reged: 08/06/10

#6077775 - 09/12/13 09:29 PM

Thanks. After a careful cleaning of the Barska focuser it is working well for astrophotos. It is holding focus perfectly, even at straight up views. Although it feels a little rough it is perfectly functional, especially since photos are set with a Bahtinov mask. I have not had any focus changes on any of many sets I've taken, even over hours.

What I DO need is a good field flattener, slight reducer.
My outer edge stars are showing nice little oblong donuts at all four corners, (just as they should without correction). I tried a meade F6.3 but it overcorrects the flat field and I get ovals that are at 90 degrees to the donuts angles ( when no flattener is used) at the field edges. It also vignettes too much.

Anyone know of a great flattener for the Barska?

jag767
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/13

Loc: Massapequa, NY
      #6079057 - 09/13/13 04:39 PM

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone try the 65mm Version of this scope?

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: jag767]
      #6080008 - 09/14/13 09:12 AM

I just got the first look at Jupiter this morning with the 80mm Barska. Highest magnification was with a 4.7mm ES. I have to say seeing is amazing that early in the morning. The atmosphere is very calm. You could see the banding quite sharply. The telescope shows no color fringing on Jupiter.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6129248 - 10/10/13 02:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks. After a careful cleaning of the Barska focuser it is working well for astrophotos. It is holding focus perfectly, even at straight up views. Although it feels a little rough it is perfectly functional, especially since photos are set with a Bahtinov mask. I have not had any focus changes on any of many sets I've taken, even over hours.

What I DO need is a good field flattener, slight reducer.
My outer edge stars are showing nice little oblong donuts at all four corners, (just as they should without correction). I tried a meade F6.3 but it overcorrects the flat field and I get ovals that are at 90 degrees to the donuts angles ( when no flattener is used) at the field edges. It also vignettes too much.

Anyone know of a great flattener for the Barska?

Hey sorry I missed this, the Hotech SCA field flattener works great for the magnus, you just need to get one that is designed for an F7, the Hotech fits the bill. Also, how did you get the barska focuser to work so well? I could back the image into focus but I was never able to get it to pull the weight of the camera back into the tube. It really is a nice focuser build wise, internally baffled and very tight tolerances which prevent any shift from locking it up whatsoever, but I hated that I could not get it to focus smoothly. I get a little bit of shift with the new GSO focuser but it is silky smooth.

Edited by calypsob (10/10/13 02:41 PM)

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6129250 - 10/10/13 02:38 PM

Quote:

No but I have been curious about it. The AT65 ed would be its biggest competitor, and for a $150 field flattener I would probably roll with the At65 instead

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6129260 - 10/10/13 02:42 PM

Oh and here is a short video of the GSO focuser on the magnus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeWZcUNtmb0

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6129265 - 10/10/13 02:47 PM

As for chromatic abberations, My astrophotography skills are not that great, and my mount does not guide perfect, but the scope delivers fringe free images
veil 2 by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr

jag767
professor emeritus

#6129278 - 10/10/13 02:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No but I have been curious about it. The AT65 ed would be its biggest competitor, and for a $150 field flattener I would probably roll with the At65 instead

best buy has it for 349, and I have a friend who works there can probably get at least $50 off of that. So for 299 I'm thinking super finder/travel scope?

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6129301 - 10/10/13 03:07 PM

Great photo Calypsob

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6130019 - 10/10/13 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

best buy has it for 349, and I have a friend who works there can probably get at least $50 off of that. So for 299 I'm thinking super finder/travel scope?

Yea it would be crazy to pass up.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6130021 - 10/10/13 10:14 PM

Quote:

Great photo Calypsob

Thanks man, more to come if skies permit.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6130592 - 10/11/13 09:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yea it would be crazy to pass up.

You guys are a bad influence! Got the 65mm for 296 no tax free shipping with 2 eps, diagonal, and case.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6131154 - 10/11/13 01:32 PM

I got my Barska 80mm for $349. earlier this year. There was a few weeks where Amazon dropped the price, then they increased it.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6132542 - 10/12/13 07:18 AM

Alright 65mm is on its way. Only problem I potentially see is if I decide it's a keeper but hate the focuser what I can do in terms of replacing it. I have a feeling my only option will be a custom flange from moonlite, and oh yea, doubling my cost by having to buy a moonlite

I didnt realize how butt ugly the finish on these are until it already shipped, so if the lens fit what I want for a super finder and travel scope, its getting fully dismantled and redone. Perhaps a pearl cream or metallic blue.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6132627 - 10/12/13 09:09 AM

I put the GSO focuser on my 80mm.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6132636 - 10/12/13 09:15 AM

Quote:

I put the GSO focuser on my 80mm.

I had hopes to do the same, but I'm thinking there's a good chance there's no flange small enough....

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6143125 - 10/17/13 02:57 PM

GSO makes an 86mm flange, you will have to measure it when it arrives. Moonlight will make you a custom adapter, as would most any machine shop. It is just going to be a threaded step up adapter, one side threade, the otherside would be a male flange fitting for the female flange coupling on the GSO, or whatever you decide to go with.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6143128 - 10/17/13 02:58 PM

Its not that bad, anodized black aluminum. You could also wrap it in dinoc carbon fiber, chrome, or matt vinyl. That way its not a permanent change.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6143177 - 10/17/13 03:26 PM

Alright just got it. Well...

1. Gso wont work without a custom flange.

2. The construction of this thing has had every corner cut: baffles are cheap plastic, all inside surfaces are shiny as can be, but the silver lining as its very easy to take apart. The dew shield is giving me trouble being taken apart, guessing the paint was tacky when it was assembled.

3. If, and I mean if, the lens really impresses me, I will be flocking fthe entire tube, making new baffles, and repainting this bad boy. I just completed custom painting my onyx 80edf, something I actually enjoyed, so once that ota is finish assembled this one would be next.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6143219 - 10/17/13 03:50 PM

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions on how to get the trim ring on the back of the dew shield to let go of its 'death grip' and unscrew it would be most welcome! I tried putting it in the fridge for a few minutes to cool the metal down, then using 2 90mm tube rings (they are actually the exact right size) with a dovetail attached to each one, and use them as wrenches to twist it apart. all I got were cold hands and frustration for my efforts

jag767
professor emeritus

#6144684 - 10/18/13 11:31 AM

Alright, so finally got it all apart and flocked as well as rebaffled. Put it all back together and am looking forward to giving it a go tonight. As for the focuser, I kinda rigged it by taking the back half off a gso focuser and cranking the set screws on the threads from the front of the barska focuser. Looks alright and will work til I find a better solution. Sky is supposed to be clear tonight so I plan on giving it a real workout. I gotta say portability will be a 10/10 using this on a photo tripod for any trips I take, so I am really hoping the lens was made with higher quality than the rest of it. Based on everyones comments I think this will hold true.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6144839 - 10/18/13 12:56 PM

The Hoteh field flattener has an adjustment collar but I haven't found anything that expalins what it does.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6144994 - 10/18/13 02:26 PM

Quote:

Alright, so finally got it all apart and flocked as well as rebaffled. Put it all back together and am looking forward to giving it a go tonight. As for the focuser, I kinda rigged it by taking the back half off a gso focuser and cranking the set screws on the threads from the front of the barska focuser. Looks alright and will work til I find a better solution. Sky is supposed to be clear tonight so I plan on giving it a real workout. I gotta say portability will be a 10/10 using this on a photo tripod for any trips I take, so I am really hoping the lens was made with higher quality than the rest of it. Based on everyones comments I think this will hold true.

LOL! You are my hero right now, I was just literally getting on here to ask if anyone knew how to take off the dew shield and objective! I have flocked half of my tube, as far as I can reach inside of it from the back. I have found that black adhesive velvet sold at wallmart works fantastically for this. When you pulled out the lenses were they fixed within a cell? I am really hoping so. I need to find a cup or something so I can coat the cup rim with rubber and use it to remove the ring holding the objective inside of it's shell. I have tried to pop off the dew shield to no avail, please provide more info on that. What did you replace the baffles with? I think Im just going to cut out velvet rings for mine and use flat black model paint on the knife edges of the baffles.

Also for those interested, you can remove the baffles from the barska focuser tube by coating a cue-tip with acetone and brushing coatings around the baffles from the front and rear of the focuser tube and the adhesive holding in the rings will completely dissolve. After letting the acetone soak in for a few minutes use a flat head screw driver to gently tap out the rings. these rings will fit perfectly inside of the GSO focuser shaft, which is not baffled and kind of shiny. I also happened to line the shaft of the GSO focuser with black velvet, increases contrast very dramatically, and does not introduce any vignetting whatsoever.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6145009 - 10/18/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

The Hoteh field flattener has an adjustment collar but I haven't found anything that expalins what it does.

The hotech flattener will not work with EP's, it is made for cameras. You need a T-thread adapter for your camera, in my case I use a Zhummell t-thread adapter with an EOS mount. The t-thread will thread onto the hotech sca FF, and allow you to mount your camera to the focuser tube. The rubber rings you are talking about surround the shaft of the hotech FF which slides into the focuser shaft. When you twist the metal ring closest to the hotech FF, the rubber rings actually expand outward inside of the drawtube shaft. This allows you to seat you camera inside of the focuser shaft perfectly centered, you still need to use the tension screws slightly, but they will not uncenter the camera from the imaging path, where as normally with another field flattener you would be subject to a slight bit of shift when tightening the rings on the drawtube shaft.

Edited by calypsob (10/18/13 02:37 PM)

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6145025 - 10/18/13 02:43 PM

I got it for imaging. Thank you for the expalanation.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6145034 - 10/18/13 02:48 PM

For those interested, the reason you need to flock the front most baffles in the Barska Magnus series for CCD/DSLR imaging is because the brightest stars will create uneven diffraction spike reflections off of the front elements creating uneven star shapes. If you are using this scope for visual, you will never be able to see this problem. here is what I mean, if you look at NGC 1980, which is the brightest star next to orion, just a to the right of the nebula, you can see that the reflection off of the forward baffle makes the star unrounded. I plan to fix this today, after I can figure out how to remove the dew shield and objective cell. This scope is a DIY'ers dream lol.

orion by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr

Edited by calypsob (10/18/13 02:52 PM)

jag767
professor emeritus

#6145061 - 10/18/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! You are my hero right now, I was just literally getting on here to ask if anyone knew how to take off the dew shield and objective! I have flocked half of my tube, as far as I can reach inside of it from the back. I have found that black adhesive velvet sold at wallmart works fantastically for this. When you pulled out the lenses were they fixed within a cell? I am really hoping so. I need to find a cup or something so I can coat the cup rim with rubber and use it to remove the ring holding the objective inside of it's shell. I have tried to pop off the dew shield to no avail, please provide more info on that. What did you replace the baffles with? I think Im just going to cut out velvet rings for mine and use flat black model paint on the knife edges of the baffles.

Also for those interested, you can remove the baffles from the barska focuser tube by coating a cue-tip with acetone and brushing coatings around the baffles from the front and rear of the focuser tube and the adhesive holding in the rings will completely dissolve. After letting the acetone soak in for a few minutes use a flat head screw driver to gently tap out the rings. these rings will fit perfectly inside of the GSO focuser shaft, which is not baffled and kind of shiny. I also happened to line the shaft of the GSO focuser with black velvet, increases contrast very dramatically, and does not introduce any vignetting whatsoever.

Alright so:

Easiest way to get at it is take the threads for the cap off and slip the dew shield back. It is in a cell very simple. to take out the baffles I literally just pushed on them and they popped right out. Then, I used the flocking off of scopestuff, cut the baffles a little, flocked them as well, and put them back in.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6145069 - 10/18/13 03:06 PM

Are there any alignment adjustments for the lens cell?

jag767
professor emeritus

#6145144 - 10/18/13 03:57 PM

Quote:

Are there any alignment adjustments for the lens cell?

I think so. I will take picture of it for you later. I've been performing surgery on the factory focuser, and think I have it working quite well as a single speed. Very Smooth. I'm really trying to get as much as possible out of this little guy before I invest anything more than time into it. and I even found a way to get it to use a 2 inch diagonal. the threads on the end of the draw tube are standard t threads and I have a t thread to sct thread adapter with a televue short compression visual back. the inside diameter of the draw tube is 1 3/8 inches, so I dont think it'll vignette.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6145152 - 10/18/13 04:05 PM

I took the focuser apart and couldn't get it back together.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6145210 - 10/18/13 04:42 PM

Quote:

I took the focuser apart and couldn't get it back together.

Its a kinda strange design. I can walk you through it if you'd like. basically they are impossible to make decent as a dual speed, but if you bring it to a single speed it is pretty acceptable.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6145298 - 10/18/13 05:37 PM

I love the GSO. it also makes the scope more compact.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6145334 - 10/18/13 06:06 PM

Quote:

I love the GSO. it also makes the scope more compact.

I want to use mine but I need to have a flange made for it. i rigged it to work at present but its not a long term setup

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6145857 - 10/18/13 11:46 PM

Yea it took me forever to get the fine focus knob back into the focuser shaft because I didnt know how to properly seat the bearings. I have the old barska focuser on my desk and mess with it alot, trying to get it to lift itself off of my desk. If I were to make a guess based on the GSO focuser, which I also took apart when I first got it and relubed everything according to Pollux Chung, the axle on the GSO presses against the draw tube much harder than the barska. Also the barska seems to have less surface area which is compunded by the fact that the smooth surface of the barska is a bit convex. check out pollux chungs link on GSO focusers and it will help out with the barska focuser. http://polluxchung.com/gso_crayford_fix/

If you tapped and threaded a hold beneath the axle of the barska and used a nylon tension screw or a metal screw with some sort of plastic separator to push the axle tighter against the draw tube, I think the focuser could pull alot more weight.

Edited by calypsob (10/18/13 11:49 PM)

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6145864 - 10/18/13 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Alright so:

Easiest way to get at it is take the threads for the cap off and slip the dew shield back. It is in a cell very simple. to take out the baffles I literally just pushed on them and they popped right out. Then, I used the flocking off of scopestuff, cut the baffles a little, flocked them as well, and put them back in.

How did you get the threads off of the dew shield? It makes sense now how they put on the dew shield now, from behind the scope.. I'm going to go try and figure out how to remove those front threads.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6145872 - 10/19/13 12:01 AM

the threads for the dew shield cap look like the screw in to the dew shield but they are very tight. i cant unscrew it.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6146093 - 10/19/13 05:42 AM

Well oddly enough I was trying to take the rear ring off and instead I loosened the threads and just went with it. I put the frontvhalf of the scope in the freezer, then put it lens facing down on a piece of sticky yoga matt, put a 90mm tube ring tightly on the middle of the dew shield with a dovetail to make something that looked like a wrench, then while pushing down a little just smacked the dovetail with the palm of my hand to jar it loose.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6146148 - 10/19/13 07:46 AM

so the front filter unscrews if you get it cold?

jag767
professor emeritus

#6146239 - 10/19/13 08:57 AM

Well general properties of metal are, cold= metal contracts, ergo increases the space between the threads ever so slightly, which at least in my case was enough to get it to budge. BTW it wasnt sitting well with me that I couldnt get the dual speed to work right so i was back at it this morning. after a solid hour of frustration I think I have it all figured out. I'm at work til 3 after that I will finish it up, and confirm it works well with the way I modified it. I'll put up a tutorial once I have definitive results.

One thing is for certain, The spring inside it is a waste- I threw it in the garbage and used a piece of dense foam instead.. It is already dramatically better, but I think if I sand the hell out of the inside components all the way up to 3000 grit to make it butter smooth, then use a proper grease, in theory at least I 'should' wind up with something comparable to GSO's feel. If I had heavier knobs then it would be even better.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6146456 - 10/19/13 11:16 AM

I flocked the back end of the tube and the inside of the draw tube. Looking through the tube with the lens facing daylight, the inside is completely black except for the baffle edges. I don't think the draw tube needs baffles with th flocking in place. Before the flocking, you could see the reflections on the inside of the main tube when the draw tube was all the way back. The front of the dew shield is not coming off easily so I am not going to try that one for now. Now, when I look at the diagonal, the inside reflects light. I am going to wind up flocking everything.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6146965 - 10/19/13 04:06 PM

Quote:

Well general properties of metal are, cold= metal contracts, ergo increases the space between the threads ever so slightly, which at least in my case was enough to get it to budge. BTW it wasnt sitting well with me that I couldnt get the dual speed to work right so i was back at it this morning. after a solid hour of frustration I think I have it all figured out. I'm at work til 3 after that I will finish it up, and confirm it works well with the way I modified it. I'll put up a tutorial once I have definitive results.

One thing is for certain, The spring inside it is a waste- I threw it in the garbage and used a piece of dense foam instead.. It is already dramatically better, but I think if I sand the hell out of the inside components all the way up to 3000 grit to make it butter smooth, then use a proper grease, in theory at least I 'should' wind up with something comparable to GSO's feel. If I had heavier knobs then it would be even better.

FAscinating, honestly the spring popped out of mine when I took it apart and I was never sure if I put it back into the right hole LOL, I figured it out with the GSO. Try a lube called Corossion X, I have been using it alot lately, you have to get it off the internet, and it is amazing, literally bonds to metal and lubes better than teflon. Anyways I am glad you found out how to fix the focuser, I was sure that there was a way to make it work better, the components are all metal so it should be able to hold up to some modifications quite well.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6146968 - 10/19/13 04:08 PM

Just so you guys know, anodized aluminum is completely transparent to Infrared Light. Here is a shot of my scope with a 1,000nm infrared filter on my camera lens. In visual light my scope is black, just like your Barskas, but at infrared the anodized finish is completely transparent as you can see. I have wrapped my dew shield with dinoc carbon fiber to prevent it from getting scratched up.

ir-scope by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr

Edited by calypsob (10/19/13 04:23 PM)

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6147298 - 10/19/13 07:13 PM

Calypsob, The Hotech field flattener requires a distance of 50mm to the focal plane. I think my Nikon dslr is 46.5mm from the flange. Ar you using any spacers with you Canon DSLR?

jag767
professor emeritus

#6148178 - 10/20/13 10:37 AM

Alright so focuser is now it good working order. Its not quite the same as a gso but to me it is acceptable. My new challenge is the 65 lacks enough back focus to use a 2 inch diagonal with a 32mm ep. So after all that I might be having a custom flange made for an aftermarket focuser anyway

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6148337 - 10/20/13 12:28 PM

No, no spacers needed with mine. I did not know it was 50mm though, mine is at 53mm. I might do a focus test later on today and see if there is a sharpness difference between the field flattener and no flattener.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6148345 - 10/20/13 12:31 PM

well you could get an extension tube. if it will focus thats all that really matters I suppose.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6148566 - 10/20/13 03:09 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Well I've gotten as far as I can for now. Painted it today heres what it looks like now

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) *DELETED* new [Re: jag767]
      #6149073 - 10/20/13 08:55 PM

Post deleted by jag767

Edited by jag767 (10/21/13 12:33 AM)

jag767
professor emeritus

#6149373 - 10/21/13 08:02 AM

After a night of viewing I've come to 3 conclusions:

1. Good things can come in small packages. For comparision purposes I used my orion ed100 to gauge color correction and to the best I could tell the 65 was significantly better on venus. It was a very pleasurable experience, and made me want to see how far I can push such a small aperture.

2. I need 'better' ep's. With the faster ratio and increased curvature that the 65 has, my current line-up of ep's doesnt cut it. Kind of a bummer that to make this scope perform admirably for wide low power viewing the ep's needed will cost more than the scope. There was noticeable astimatism in the outer 25-33% of the field depending on the ep I used. Thinking about getting a 27mm panoptic while they're on sale since it seems that eliminates the problem, and the 4.5mm exit pupil with a 4.7 degree fov is just what the doctor ordered.

3. The 65 just wasnt built to use 2 inch accessories. In order to use it with them, i had to strip the rotatable ring and threaded flange off the factory focuser, and use the set screws on my gso to clamp down on it. I guess it does the job, although it gives me an uneasy feeling about not being done right. The proper fix would be to shorten the length of the optical tube by having a flange made to fit directly it, removing the ring the mounting foot is on as well. With a moonlight that should increase the backfocus by about 2.5 inches, enough to use anything in the 2 inch domain.

To sum it all up, in order for the 65 to perform the way Id like it to, what started off as a small investment will wind up costing more than my f9 ed100, which far surpasses it. I think I will go with a 'middle of the road' solution, by dimple drilling the flange for the gso set screws (much more secure) and only getting the 27mm panoptic to keep this as a travel/super finder for which it was originally intended. Its very easy to get sucked up into the 'lets make everything work perfect' world, but that just doesnt make sense for this scope.

With the modifications I listed, I'd be very interested to see this scope go up against others in the category, including the televue and tak 60mm models. I have a strong feeling it would keep right up!

jag767
professor emeritus

#6149380 - 10/21/13 08:06 AM Attachment (63 downloads)

Heres a shot of the final setup

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6149653 - 10/21/13 11:04 AM

I was looking at Venus with the Barska 80 mm triplet last night. Color control is excellent.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150811 - 10/21/13 11:05 PM

I have heard really good things about these konig eyepieces http://www.ebay.com/bhp/konig-eyepiece, almost bought a research grade a while back but my astrophotography buddies seem to have so many nice ep's I never bothered to pick any up. Your paint job looks fantastic BTW!

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150812 - 10/21/13 11:06 PM

did you put some GSO knobs on the barska?

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150813 - 10/21/13 11:07 PM

I have always wanted to try mine out with a 5X APO barlow.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150825 - 10/21/13 11:15 PM

So the front of the dew shield is the part that unthreads or the back of the dew shield? Odd that the 65 will not do 2" ep's, the 80mm definitely has that covered.

Edited by calypsob (10/21/13 11:28 PM)

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6150844 - 10/21/13 11:27 PM

I am going to put the dew shield cover in the freezer this weekend and screw it on with gloves. The front ring should get cold enough to release. The part that unscrews is a ring in the front that screws onto the dew shield. I think the main body of the dew shield also unscrews from the back ring but i am not going to try to unscrew it.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6150848 - 10/21/13 11:32 PM

Make sure the dew shield is extended when you work on it so you don't get close to the glass.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6150855 - 10/21/13 11:36 PM

I am currently going ep crazy trying to find some answers. Have it down to the 24/27mm panoptics, or the 22/26mm naglers but am having a hard time getting past that.

I actually took the back right off the gso and put it on the 65. It gave me 1.5 inches of back focus, enough to use 2 inch gear. Yes the back of the dew shield unscrews but I couldnt get it to budge. The front once cooled came off.

Thanks! The paint took about 5 hours including all the baking and wet sanding time.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150863 - 10/21/13 11:43 PM

The cover? Wouldn't you have to put the entire scope in the freezer?

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6150864 - 10/21/13 11:43 PM

I like the ES 6.7mm and 4.7mm 82 degree for higher powers. I also bought a 2" SWA 38mm 70degree for wide angle. The SWA is almost as big as the telescope. I have a lot of other eye pieces. i just got the Baader 8-26mm zoom. Great eyepiece.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150870 - 10/21/13 11:47 PM

Oh wow baking? You did a really serious paint job on that thing. Looks kind of like an orion paint job now, very nice.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150873 - 10/21/13 11:48 PM

Well I can say that if you guys are putting the glass in the freezer, make sure you let it cool down in the fridge before exposing it to room temp so that the flint element does not shift between the crown and rear element.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6150879 - 10/21/13 11:54 PM

Quote:

Unscrew the tube and dew shield before pitting it in. Literally just grab the actual tube and twist it comesp right off. Dont leave it in too long only 20 mins.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6150884 - 10/21/13 11:57 PM

The cover will get the front ring cold. You want to keep the rest of the dew shield warm. The front ring will shrink and the rest of the dew shield will not.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6150887 - 10/21/13 11:59 PM

Quote:

Oh wow baking? You did a really serious paint job on that thing. Looks kind of like an orion paint job now, very nice.

Haha i was going for that since it will be a super finder for an ed100. Only problem is the paint on the 65 now looks way nicer that the orion! The metallic adds a lot, and I wet sanded it all the way to 3000 grit so its also way smoother now.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150890 - 10/22/13 12:01 AM

hmm my dew shield does not twist off. I am going to pipe clamp the dew shield and counter pipe clam the front thread. i hope its not epoxied. Man if I can get this off it will be a milestone!

jag767
professor emeritus

#6150894 - 10/22/13 12:02 AM

Quote:

hmm my dew shield does not twist off. I am going to pipe clamp the dew shield and counter pipe clam the front thread. i hope its not epoxied. Man if I can get this off it will be a milestone!

Be careful!

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150895 - 10/22/13 12:02 AM

Nicely done, a crayford is much better than the focuser on my magnificent mini lol.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6150915 - 10/22/13 12:14 AM

Dont damage the scope

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150944 - 10/22/13 12:45 AM

peter if you get the dewshield off could you post some shots?

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6150947 - 10/22/13 12:46 AM

yea i cant get it off so far, tried the front and rear thread of the dew shield. there must be another way on the 80mm...
and i meant i was using 2 rubber strap pipe wrenches not clamps.

Edited by calypsob (10/22/13 12:59 AM)

jag767
professor emeritus

#6150961 - 10/22/13 01:10 AM

Like I said I wasnt even trying to get the thread off it was a complete accident. Btw you guys try your scope with a 4 element barlow? Holy *BLEEP*! I threw a 42mm gso superview in a luminos 2.5x barlow and boom! 2.8 degrees of insane flat field

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6151428 - 10/22/13 10:35 AM

yea I was going to say that the zoom EP seems pretty flat at the zoom end, haven't tried any type of barlow yet but I hear you can achieve high resolutions with a triplet.

Joe Aguiar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/10/07

Loc: none of your buss
      #6151443 - 10/22/13 10:43 AM

ok hers my 2 cents

Those ebay scopes (many) were not good quailty, many tests and reviews were done on some of those scopes so iam not sure i would take a chance on now this scope.

Also the brand name is zero iam not sure id pay $200 for this scope and 484 is not cheap by the time you include shipping taxes duites it be more like $600 or more in CDN, safer beat is get a proven ED80 like the SW pro 80 its $599 CDN

jag767
professor emeritus

#6151446 - 10/22/13 10:45 AM

Honesty amazing difference I didn't even think I was looking through the same scope! Little bit of pincushion but I will gladly make that trade. I haven't even opened the eps that came with the scope I think I will most likely sell them-not a fan of zoom ep's

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Joe Aguiar]
      #6151554 - 10/22/13 11:56 AM

Joe I really cant comment on the 80 but the lens on my 65 is aces, zero color, and there is some field curvature but its an f6 65mm what can you expect? Granted I had to flock it, rebaffle, change the focuser, and paint it to be happy, but the optics made it worth it.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6151567 - 10/22/13 12:05 PM

I can say the same of the 80mm. It beats my Celestron ED 80 on CA and it has become my favorite smaller refractor. It is built much more solidly than the ED80, except for the focuser, which i changed. It also beats the WO 71mm I recently acquired.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6152037 - 10/22/13 04:50 PM

ed80 is a doublet, suffers from cyan fringing. not even in the same ballpark as the barska. for the price of a skywatcher you could get a magnus 80mm, gso focuser, and a field flattener, the sky watcher still needs a flattener. The magnus line is cheap right now but it will probably become more expensive as time goes on and people see what they are truly capable of. If you want a good triplet on a budget get one now while they are low.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6152039 - 10/22/13 04:51 PM

Jag did you happen to take pictures during your disassembly?

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6152057 - 10/22/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Unscrew the tube and dew shield before pitting it in. Literally just grab the actual tube and twist it comesp right off. Dont leave it in too long only 20 mins.

I would definitely like to see pictures of this. After looking again at your paint job, the 80mm and 65mm are identical on their dewshields.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6152062 - 10/22/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately I didnt. The actual optical tube body twists off the ring the mounting foot is on. Once you break loose the threads on the front of the dew shield you can side it all the way back and off

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6152096 - 10/22/13 05:39 PM

Calysob and I already took off the focuser ring with the dovetail foot. the issue is getting the front of the Dew shield off so the the dew shiled can be slid off the back.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6152105 - 10/22/13 05:44 PM

Ok I see what you are saying now. Man those front threads are tough, the rubber straps on my pipe wrenches are so wide they overlap the front threads and have more contact with the dewshield.I have also read that aluminum is capable of galling especially if bonded with loctite. The only way to fix that is to heat the thread above 140 degrees farenheit. I'm going to mess with it some more and today and if I can't get it then I will the the scope up to the mechanical engineering department at auburn and ask a professor to help me out with some ideas.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6152109 - 10/22/13 05:47 PM

Quote:

Ok I see what you are saying now. Man those front threads are tough, the rubber straps on my pipe wrenches are so wide they overlap the front threads and have more contact with the dewshield.I have also read that aluminum is capable of galling especially if bonded with loctite. The only way to fix that is to heat the thread above 140 degrees farenheit. I'm going to mess with it some more and today and if I can't get it then I will the the scope up to the mechanical engineering department at auburn and ask a professor to help me out with some ideas.

Wish I was near you I'd lend a hand. I guess I got lucky with mine!

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6152362 - 10/22/13 07:55 PM

That would be great, oh well lol. I am hating this dewshield right now. My fiance thinks I am crazy, I have been watching tv with my refractor tube and 2 pipe wrenches for the past 2 days now tugging away at these threads haha. Tomorrow is plan B

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6152368 - 10/22/13 07:58 PM

freeze the dew cap to chill the ring. I am going to try it this weekend

jag767
professor emeritus

#6152397 - 10/22/13 08:15 PM

Just throw the whole thing in the freezer it wont hurt it if its only for 20 mins (it didn't hurt mine at least)

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6152514 - 10/22/13 09:32 PM

jag can you try and explain the tool you used with more detail?

jag767
professor emeritus

#6152520 - 10/22/13 09:39 PM

Quote:

jag can you try and explain the tool you used with more detail?

To take off the threaded front ring? I put the dew shield face down on a sticky yoga matt, put my hands arounds it, pressed down and turned in a jarring motion to break the seal.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6152539 - 10/22/13 09:47 PM

oh ok, wow I can manage that

Edited by calypsob (10/22/13 09:47 PM)

jag767
professor emeritus

#6152600 - 10/22/13 10:21 PM

Here's something kinda cool. I just ordered another gso focuser since I took the one on my 65 off another scope. Since all my ep setups focus within 20mm of the drawtube, I ordered the sct version with the 25mm of travel to cut down needless weight. The way I have it installed using only the back of the focuser it will be quite perfect!

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6152838 - 10/23/13 01:25 AM

Keep us posted Jag, that may be the focuser solution for the 65mm users.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6152898 - 10/23/13 03:05 AM

Out with my 65 right now. Seeing is below average, and I'm currently viewing Jupiter. At 65x it is very very crisp showing some nice distinct banding, which is even better up at 102x. Moving on to orion. Again, impressed with this little scope. I can clearly see 4 stars of the trapezium and some nice nebulosity up to the same 102x. Anything above that magnification the exit pupil just gets too small and difficult to work with. I will do this same test under excellent conditions and no moon to get a true feel for the best the 65 has to offer. If I wasnt tired and freezing (nasty wind coming off the water) I'd bring out my ed100 to really gauge the sky conditions better.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6153688 - 10/23/13 01:18 PM

I am going to give up on trying to remove the dew shield ring. Let me know if you succeed.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6153850 - 10/23/13 02:45 PM

Ugh, peter Im in the same boat. I am taking my scope up to the school today or tomorrow to see if anyone has a special tool to assist this process. I may try using acetone on a cotton swab around the crevices to see if there is an epoxy bond locking the threads onto the shield.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6153868 - 10/23/13 02:54 PM

It really does come off I swear!

jag767
professor emeritus

#6153929 - 10/23/13 03:26 PM

Why are you guys trying to take it off anyway? my reason was to paint wasn't sure what your plans were.

MtnGoat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/07

Loc: Columbia Gorge, WA
      #6154121 - 10/23/13 05:43 PM

A buddy picked one up. Fixed the focusser by fiddling with it. An amazing value. Yes, a name brand can, in some cases, buy down the chances of getting a lemon, sure. But some of this off brand stuff is getting very, very good. That Barska is one of them.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6154443 - 10/23/13 09:22 PM

Quote:

Why are you guys trying to take it off anyway? my reason was to paint wasn't sure what your plans were.

I need to take out the objective and baffle the front half of the tube and also do something about light reflecting off of my front most baffle, it is causing bright stars to have a weird comet shape in the diffraction spikes of my images, diffraction spikes should not be there at all with this scope! lol. Simple reflection issue, tough dew shield issue.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: MtnGoat]
      #6154444 - 10/23/13 09:23 PM

Agreed MtnGoat, those open minded towards this scope will be rewarded with a sleeper scope for sure.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6154887 - 10/24/13 06:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I need to take out the objective and baffle the front half of the tube and also do something about light reflecting off of my front most baffle, it is causing bright stars to have a weird comet shape in the diffraction spikes of my images, diffraction spikes should not be there at all with this scope! lol. Simple reflection issue, tough dew shield issue.

The baffles are barely glued in. Measure where they are then pull them out, flock, then put them back?

jag767
professor emeritus

#6154890 - 10/24/13 07:00 AM

Quote:

Agreed MtnGoat, those open minded towards this scope will be rewarded with a sleeper scope for sure.

+1

My theory was alright I know the focuser is going to blow, and will probably need flocking and re baffling, and I hate the factory finish, but if the objective is even a decent triplet, at 65mm it will be tack sharp. Sure enough it is. To me at least, since the rest can be fixed with time and effort it was more than worth it. Id like to find someone who has a higher end 60-65mm to compare with in my area and I bet it'll keep right up, if not do a little better in a few areas.

Edited by jag767 (10/24/13 07:19 AM)

jag767
professor emeritus

#6155296 - 10/24/13 11:09 AM

Here's an interesting piece of info. the 2 ep's the come with the scope- identical to meades zoom lens and 6.4mm 4000 series. Identical. I am selling them so I did a little research to find a good price and figured it out based on visual inspection.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6157674 - 10/25/13 03:25 PM

Success! the SCT GSO dual speed works perfect. Full range of focus with the smaller draw tube. I dimple drilled the threaded barska flange so I can use a pressure fit with the set screws, but one screw goes all the way through for added security. Only one snag, and I'm not even sure it is a snag.

I got the fit 'almost' exact. with the focuser aligned from top to bottom on the flange it is off by less than the width of a sheet of paper on the flange. In other words I can almost fit a sheet of paper in between the rotatable ring and the back section of the focuser on top (I have to really push on it to get it to slide in between),and it is completely snug on the bottom. what you guys think is that an acceptable tolerance?

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6158106 - 10/25/13 07:53 PM

Victory at last!
Victory by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr

Froze it for 30 minutes, gripped the lower ring with the strap wrench, dried off all of the moisture with alcohol, held the dewshield close to my chest with my left hand and twisted really hard with my hand using the strap wrench still with my right hand. It came right off.

One problem remains, the aluminum lens cell has a drop of what looks like epoxy locking the threads together at the top of the tube. Trying to use acetone to melt of the epoxy right now. What did you do to defeat the epoxy Jag?

Edited by calypsob (10/25/13 08:10 PM)

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6158136 - 10/25/13 08:17 PM

Quote:

Success! the SCT GSO dual speed works perfect. Full range of focus with the smaller draw tube. I dimple drilled the threaded barska flange so I can use a pressure fit with the set screws, but one screw goes all the way through for added security. Only one snag, and I'm not even sure it is a snag.

I got the fit 'almost' exact. with the focuser aligned from top to bottom on the flange it is off by less than the width of a sheet of paper on the flange. In other words I can almost fit a sheet of paper in between the rotatable ring and the back section of the focuser on top (I have to really push on it to get it to slide in between),and it is completely snug on the bottom. what you guys think is that an acceptable tolerance?

sounds pretty good to me, take a picture of it!

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6158137 - 10/25/13 08:18 PM

Which part twisted off Calypsob?

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6158141 - 10/25/13 08:24 PM

the rear, closest to the main tube. opposite of how jag did it.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6158142 - 10/25/13 08:25 PM

Quote:

Victory at last!

Froze it for 30 minutes, gripped the lower ring with the strap wrench, dried off all of the moisture with alcohol, held the dewshield close to my chest with my left hand and twisted really hard with my hand using the strap wrench still with my right hand. It came right off.

One problem remains, the aluminum lens cell has a drop of what looks like epoxy locking the threads together at the top of the tube. Trying to use acetone to melt of the epoxy right now. What did you do to defeat the epoxy Jag?

Nice!!! I didn't have that particular problem mine twisted right off.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6158146 - 10/25/13 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

sounds pretty good to me, take a picture of it!

Once I'm home I will.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6158172 - 10/25/13 08:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Victory at last!

Nice!!! I didn't have that particular problem mine twisted right off.

ok great... well it's back in the freezer for a run with the cell seal.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6158272 - 10/25/13 09:53 PM

GOT IT !
Got it by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr Froze it again, acetoned the epoxied edges with a cotton swap, held the tube down on the sofa with my knee and twisted the cell with the strap wrench. Epoxy seal broken with very small amount of residue. It is possible to completely disassemble this refractor. You can even get to the objectives with a spanner wrench if you wanted to blacken the edges of the objective glass. I'm too chicken, don't want to risk loosing collimation, I can easily confirm now that this is a triplet. Time to flock and darken up this tube.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6158703 - 10/26/13 07:30 AM Attachment (50 downloads)

Outstanding! Cant wait tocsee the final product!

Here is a picture of the focuser body being slighty off as I mentioned. Its so small a difference I dont think you can even seecit in the picture so I think it is probably ok.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6158993 - 10/26/13 11:33 AM

Calypsob, Was there any epoxy on the dew shield threads?

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6159416 - 10/26/13 03:54 PM

Nice job fitting the focuser. Peter, no epoxy on the dewshield, definitely a ring of epoxy around the objective cell, it's very thin though. Seems like more of an anti tamper ring.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6161963 - 10/28/13 07:46 AM

Had an interesting moment last night. So I currently have this scope set up with my Orion ed100 on a porta 2 head with a cg5gt tripod... Rock solid and performs great. Anyway, the goal of this setup was originally have the 65 as a super finder and wide field viewer, but slowly turned into a comparison of the two. Sounds crazy right? Compare a 65mm scope to a 100? Well maybe not that crazy....

Yes you could see a million times more on open star clusters, globular clusters, and the likes, but around 1:30 I turned to Jupiter. First up was the 65 with a luminos 2.5x Barlow and nlv 9mm. I was very very impressed. Great detail, a ton of banding, and superb resolution, which made me very excited to compare it to the ed100 with the 9mm and no Barlow. To my surprise, it just looked like an almost too bright version of the same thing. I stepped up the power to a 5.5mm. Now it just wouldn't resolve well. I then tried a few more ep combinations til I finally came to realize on this particular night at least, it was far more enjoyable looking through the 65 for planetary viewing.

Next up was the trapezium. To my astonishment the results were similar. Yes there were many more lower magnitude stars present in the surrounding area which was great, but under lower power at least I found the actual stars of the trapezium themselves much easier to distinguish from one another in the 65. Last was Pleiades, where the ed100 did put up a clearly superior image.

Still, all in all an unexpected night. It definitely answers the question as the the quality of the triplet at least. I plan to make the same comparison several more times under different conditions, but at the moment I thought the result was interesting enough to share.

On a small aside, does anyone have a clue as to what type of glass is used for the objectives? I was thinking to contact the manufacturer (visionking) to find out more if no one does.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6162040 - 10/28/13 08:53 AM

someone had written earlier on that it is FPL-51 glass.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6162080 - 10/28/13 09:20 AM

Oh nice I must have missed it!

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6163154 - 10/28/13 06:53 PM

Yep FPL-51. You can look up fpl-51 on the ohara website. Not much different from FPL-53 honestly. FPL-53 is kind of like an attempt to deliver the same results as fluorite, only it is not as sensitive to temperature shock and alot cheaper to manufacture. Peter, any luck with the dew shield? I have to put everything on hold for a bit while I study for upcoming projects and exams.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6163160 - 10/28/13 06:57 PM

ok yea a difference in refractive index of .06. Fpl 51 is 1.49 and fpl 53 is 1.43 http://refractiveindex.info/?group=OHARA&material=S-FPL51

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6163189 - 10/28/13 07:19 PM

I'm not going to remove it.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6163223 - 10/28/13 07:37 PM

Quote:

ok yea a difference in refractive index of .06. Fpl 51 is 1.49 and fpl 53 is 1.43 http://refractiveindex.info/?group=OHARA&material=S-FPL51

Wow interesting. Explains how insane the correction is for sure.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6167272 - 10/30/13 08:47 PM

Hey peter, how does the 80mm compare to your new AP130?

jag767
professor emeritus

#6167348 - 10/30/13 09:25 PM

Heh I thought about asking the same thing.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6167389 - 10/30/13 09:48 PM

What eps are you guys using for widefield? Im looking for something with a really flat field that puts the 65 at a 5 degree fov or so.

PowellAstro
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: Tennessee
      #6167398 - 10/30/13 09:55 PM

The ES 24mm 82 would be very nice and would be right at 5 degrees. I have the AT 66.

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: PowellAstro]
      #6167409 - 10/30/13 10:04 PM

Quote:

The ES 24mm 82 would be very nice and would be right at 5 degrees. I have the AT 66.

I hadnt considered that EP. How it is on your 66 as far as the edges of the field?

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6167549 - 10/30/13 11:45 PM

I haven't had a chance to do a direct comparison. The AP130 is definitely brighter and the image is very sharp and clean as you would expect. Believe it or not the CA on the Barska 80 is as clean as the AP130. I had a brief sesiion this morning on M42 and Jupiter. M42 looked amazing with the AP130. You could see dark cloud bands despite the light pollution here. Seeing was poor so Jupiter at 235 X was hard to focus on.

PowellAstro
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: Tennessee
      #6167596 - 10/31/13 12:23 AM

Quote:

I hadnt considered that EP. How it is on your 66 as far as the edges of the field?

It is sharp to the edge with round stars. The last ten percent the stars are about 15 percent larger but round.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: PowellAstro]
      #6167677 - 10/31/13 01:43 AM

Excellent peter, I looked through a tmb 130 triplet a few weeks ago and I could see what you describe with m42, the clouds were almost 3d like at that focal length. I have always wanted to look through an astrophysics refractor though.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6168147 - 10/31/13 10:35 AM

I am sure the TMB is an excellent scope and I don't think you would see anything significantly different with the AP. I am all the way in Los Angeles, otherwise I would invite you to take a look.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6194217 - 11/14/13 09:41 AM

So I found my first serious limitation with my 65. The moon really makes a noticeable difference with the smaller aperture. I don't notice it nearly as much with my ed100, but with 65mm I guess you are finally down to a size where the dark sky becomes that much more imperative. Even Jupiter showed a much more washed out appearance.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6194258 - 11/14/13 10:07 AM

Size matters.

Lew Zealand
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #6198907 - 11/16/13 08:53 PM

That's an interesting observation. I'm not a big Loonie but in my 80-203mm scopes, I don't find much of a difference in it's observation. I don't go above ~200x so I suppose I'm still in the general range of these apertures, where that's a bit too much for your 65mm or my 60mm scopes. One difference is that my 60mm scopes are $29 each so I don't expect much of them.

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Lew Zealand]
      #6199524 - 11/17/13 08:54 AM

Quote:

That's an interesting observation. I'm not a big Loonie but in my 80-203mm scopes, I don't find much of a difference in it's observation. I don't go above ~200x so I suppose I'm still in the general range of these apertures, where that's a bit too much for your 65mm or my 60mm scopes. One difference is that my 60mm scopes are $29 each so I don't expect much of them.

Dont get me wrong, there are differences in certain regards. Fainter stars do become present on my ed100, but to me it's about how much I enjoy what I'm seeing. I find the views in my 65 are so sharp, wide, and pleasing, that it doesn't leave me wanting more. The few times I have compared it with my 100 I find myself thinking I would have been better off driving 15 minutes where I would be in a orange zone instead of red bordering on white, than spending 15 minutes setting up the larger scope.

vikan

Reged: 10/05/10

#6210482 - 11/22/13 11:28 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

I have the barska magnus 80mm. I would like to replace the focuser. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools , nor the skills, to make adapters myself. Is there a focuser+adapter that fit this scope?
It is an nice little scope and I like it a lot. Attaching a moon shot I took with it. It is a stack of five images, so the sharpness is a little deceiving.

mwc11

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Las Vegas, Nev.
Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: vikan]
      #6210539 - 11/23/13 12:14 AM

vikan,
I think if you go back to the earlier pages of this thread, some of the posts state that the GSO focuser (86.4mm) and celestron c80ed focuser adaptor can be used for the barska 80mm magnus.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: mwc11]
      #6230942 - 12/03/13 08:48 AM

Sorry i missed this. Vikan, the above post is correct. All you need is a $6 rubber strap wrench, the 86mm gso focuser for refractors and the ed80 adapter. It takes me less than 5 minutes to change them out.

Aleforge

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: Missouri
      #6231606 - 12/03/13 02:44 PM

I just ordered one of these today (Barska 80mm) I keep looking at the photos and wonder how the t-ring screws on? Do you need a special adapter for a DSLR?

Rod Kaufman

Reged: 01/14/09

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Aleforge]
      #6232571 - 12/04/13 01:24 AM

I just ordered one from Amazon for $379.00 in their cyber deal. I'm wondering if this 80mm triplet is a re-badged version of the Levenhuk model. The focal length is the same so the optics may be from the same supplier.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Rod Kaufman]
      #6233529 - 12/04/13 02:54 PM

Levenhuk looks like an f/6 at 480mm fl. the Barska is f/7 at 560mm.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6233532 - 12/04/13 02:55 PM

Th $379 is a good deal. I got mine earlier this year at around that price too.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: Aleforge]
      #6233983 - 12/04/13 06:35 PM

Quote:

I just ordered one of these today (Barska 80mm) I keep looking at the photos and wonder how the t-ring screws on? Do you need a special adapter for a DSLR?

The purpose of a tring is to screw onto a camera, not the telescope. The other half of the tring connects to another piece called a tadapter. If you are seriously getting into astrophotography do not get the tadapter but get a field flattener which acts as the tadapter instead. Any refractor that does not have a built in flattener needs a field flattener. I recommend the hotech SCA or the televue flattener reducer for this particular telescope. You will need to either tune up or upgrade the focuser as well.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6233992 - 12/04/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

I just ordered one from Amazon for $379.00 in their cyber deal. I'm wondering if this 80mm triplet is a re-badged version of the Levenhuk model. The focal length is the same so the optics may be from the same supplier.

I think actually that the Levenhuk is a rebadged version of the barska, same with the vision king triplet. Barska kind of tainted their name when they first hit the market so I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of re branding has been taking place. I would like to see things turn around for Barska, their customer service went through a revamp earlier this year and they have been absolutely fantastic to deal with ever since then, something I never thought I would say about that company.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6233999 - 12/04/13 06:40 PM

Yea $379 for a triplet? Are you kidding me LOL. Probably the most underestimated telescope on the market at the moment. The fact that you can upgrade the focuser via an ED80 adapter makes it worth every penny.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6234115 - 12/04/13 08:04 PM

I originally bought my 65mm as a super finder for my orion ed100, but after adaptering a gso to it, repainting and flocking it, the thing works so well I use it on its own a lot of the time. Kinda makes me wish there was a 100mm version!

Rod Kaufman

#6234304 - 12/04/13 09:50 PM

Quote:

Levenhuk looks like an f/6 at 480mm fl. the Barska is f/7 at 560mm.

You may be correct but the picture of the Barska 80mm apo on Amazon has an "f6" on the lens cell. I see the levenhuk is also listed as an f6 on the CN review of it.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6234318 - 12/04/13 09:58 PM

I just looked at the Amazon ad. They have the right description but the wrong picture. It looks like the picture of the 65mm Barska. I looked on my Barska 80ED triplet and it says f/7.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6234486 - 12/05/13 12:01 AM

face view by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr The 80mm Barska Magnus is definitely an F7

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6234488 - 12/05/13 12:02 AM

Quote:

I originally bought my 65mm as a super finder for my orion ed100, but after adaptering a gso to it, repainting and flocking it, the thing works so well I use it on its own a lot of the time. Kinda makes me wish there was a 100mm version!

I actually emailed them about considering a 108, 127, and a 150mm.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6234584 - 12/05/13 01:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not that I'm opposed but what made you go with 108? Lol. I've only seen the Ioptron doublet come in at that size. That being said I 'd buy a 100- 108mm in a heartbeat if the price were just as good, assuming its f6 or f7. My f9 orion is just not quite a wide enough fov for my taste

dc_robert

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Washington, DC
      #6235291 - 12/05/13 12:12 PM

I bought the 80mm a few weeks back but returned it not only because of the focuser but because it rained black paint flecks from inside the tube. The flecks were noticeable right out of the box, so I did my best to clean them, but lots still appeared on my light pollution filter after an attempt at imaging.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: dc_robert]
      #6236096 - 12/05/13 07:47 PM

Dc, thats wierd because these tubes are anodized black. There is no paint inside of them? Did you order a replacement?

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6236100 - 12/05/13 07:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think the versa is a triplet, i mentioned it because i thought the 2 look so similar. If people keep sending good feedback to barska i think we may have more options in the future.

Not that I'm opposed but what made you go with 108? Lol. I've only seen the Ioptron doublet come in at that size. That being said I 'd buy a 100- 108mm in a heartbeat if the price were just as good, assuming its f6 or f7. My f9 orion is just not quite a wide enough fov for my taste

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6236139 - 12/05/13 08:16 PM

I haven't noticed any paint either. The anodized finish is quite tough.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6246314 - 12/11/13 03:47 AM

Quote:

I haven't had a chance to do a direct comparison. The AP130 is definitely brighter and the image is very sharp and clean as you would expect. Believe it or not the CA on the Barska 80 is as clean as the AP130. I had a brief sesiion this morning on M42 and Jupiter. M42 looked amazing with the AP130. You could see dark cloud bands despite the light pollution here. Seeing was poor so Jupiter at 235 X was hard to focus on.

Hey Peter was curious now that you've had more time if you could give a better comparison of these. Reason I ask is I have been comparing my 65 and ed100, and other than a difference in some fainter stars in the ed100 I'd swear the view on M42 is possibly a hair better in the 65. It actually has me wondering if I happened to get an excellent example of the 65mm, and just a run of the mill version of the ed100. The only explanations I can come up with are that, or the difference between triplet and doublet is that significant, which based on all the observations I've read on here for visual use I am led to believe is less likely. If it is the case however, I think I will be in the market for something like an astrotech 111m triplet

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6246779 - 12/11/13 10:55 AM

Jag,
I just got the SkyWatcher 100ED. I find the images very good. I didn't see false color on Venus when I tested it a few nights ago. No purple halo. As far as the AP130GT, it's sitting in the bix. I haven't had time to take it out much. The Magnus is a very good scope but I think aperture would still rule. One thing I did notice on M42 is that if you increase magnification form my location, it darkens the background so the nebula looks more prominent. You may be experiencing the same effect when you compare the two telescopes.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6246805 - 12/11/13 11:12 AM

Quote:

Jag,
I just got the SkyWatcher 100ED. I find the images very good. I didn't see false color on Venus when I tested it a few nights ago. No purple halo. As far as the AP130GT, it's sitting in the bix. I haven't had time to take it out much. The Magnus is a very good scope but I think aperture would still rule. One thing I did notice on M42 is that if you increase magnification form my location, it darkens the background so the nebula looks more prominent. You may be experiencing the same effect when you compare the two telescopes.

Interesting, something to try next night out!

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #6246888 - 12/11/13 12:04 PM

Hopefully still on topic,anyone seen or own the Levnhuk 130 ED f7 triplet ? On ebay for $2800. Not in my "budget" but it is a $1000 less than a smaller NP101!Just looking at the numbers it sounds like a great all-around lifetime scope if one can afford it.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: BigC]
      #6248100 - 12/11/13 11:23 PM

Not sure about levenhuk, I have done some research and I just can't figure out where it comes from.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6248109 - 12/11/13 11:30 PM

Interesting news everyone. I shipped off my scope a few weeks back because I had a cleaning accident and got rubbing alcohol between the elements. The barska customer service was great, you do have to pay to ship the item but because it has a lifetime warranty all service and repair is free. So today I came home and had a visit from the fedex man who delivered my telescope and when I got it out of the box they had sent me a brand new scope! Absolutely fantastic. Whats more is that the Magnus has been upgraded. My last version was matte black anodized aluminum, this one is high gloss black powder coat. Ill post pictures later. The focuser has been upgraded as well, it actually has some draw strength when I adjust the friction screw which is amazing, It could probably focus a camera now. Oh well I have my GSO and put that back on promptly. The coatings on the front of the lens seem alot greener than before and the inside of the focuser is now painted black. IT looks really nice and I have to say that I am really pleased with the support.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: BigC]
      #6249638 - 12/12/13 06:18 PM

Ok I think I understand this now, the meade 130mm is identical, they both use the chinese glass which is similar to fpl 51 but with a lower abbe rating. The glass is called fk61 and is cheaper to manufacture than the stuff made by ohara.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#6250753 - 12/13/13 11:29 AM

I ordered one of the 80,s just out of interest,here are my thoughts after it arrived the next day.
Its clear that compared with say a Meade, Orion, Ex:Scientific or Stellarvue triplet the mechanics are inferior, however this scope sells for a fraction of the above prices.
Mine came with a case, two eyepieces(quality unknown) and a rather nice 2" dialectric diagonal.
Problems are as follows, a couple of tears in the foam in the case,the diagonal was in a bag but no dust plugs.
The focuser is so-so, one of the course knobs is spinning around doing nothing, the screw that bears on the shaft was loose.
One or two marks on the anodizing, also had a hekova time loosening the lockring off to turn the focuser.Some dust on the back side of the objective.
Now the ok stuff,cheap price, heavy all metal construction, everything is screwed together, other than a couple of small dings/marks the anodized finish looks and feels very durable, the diagonal is very nice, looks like a GSO unit.
As I,m up to my eyeballs in snow with bitter cold nights a views down the fields through my bedroom window today gave a very nice view.
Conclusion if you are prepared to tinker a bit then a triplet for these prices is remarkable however do not expect a scope with premium mechanics and finish, this scope would make a good beater scope for use in a situation where a big dollar instrument runs the risk of damage loss etc, DA

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6251166 - 12/13/13 03:38 PM

Yep agreed, mine had no dust caps on the diagonal either, foam in case had tears, my focuser on the new one was fine, but I had to retighten the old one. Replace it with a GSO or a moonlight and you will be gold. You definitely have to tweak the Magnus, but if you are handy with a screw driver it should be no problem. For the price @ $399 I guess you could make it a beater scope? I don't have money to throw around like that. But performance, well lets say that the views from this scope make a Takahashi 90 look like a wallmart telescope immediately. For $2,400 you can get a CA laden doublet with a good focuser, dust caps on the diagonal, and a 5 year warranty. With the $399 Magnus triplet you get a lifetime warranty, no CA at all!, and a diagonal with no dust caps lol.

Rod Kaufman

#6251902 - 12/13/13 11:08 PM

The focuser on mine appears to be ok as the two tension knobs lock it in place and the focuser knobs do what they're supposed to do. The focuser drawtube extends 3.75" backwards and the sliding dew shield and the main lens cap that screws into the front end of the scope work well. The 360 degree lock ring was tight on my too but I was able to rotate the focuser. I'm not too sure how easily the latter would be to use in cold weather. For what you get, you could probably begin an initial foray into imaging without the acquisition of a much more expensive scope.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6252707 - 12/14/13 01:44 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Quote:

I ordered one of the 80,s just out of interest,here are my thoughts after it arrived the next day.
Its clear that compared with say a Meade, Orion, Ex:Scientific or Stellarvue triplet the mechanics are inferior, however this scope sells for a fraction of the above prices.
Mine came with a case, two eyepieces(quality unknown) and a rather nice 2" dialectric diagonal.
Problems are as follows, a couple of tears in the foam in the case,the diagonal was in a bag but no dust plugs.
The focuser is so-so, one of the course knobs is spinning around doing nothing, the screw that bears on the shaft was loose.
One or two marks on the anodizing, also had a hekova time loosening the lockring off to turn the focuser.Some dust on the back side of the objective.
Now the ok stuff,cheap price, heavy all metal construction, everything is screwed together, other than a couple of small dings/marks the anodized finish looks and feels very durable, the diagonal is very nice, looks like a GSO unit.
As I,m up to my eyeballs in snow with bitter cold nights a views down the fields through my bedroom window today gave a very nice view.
Conclusion if you are prepared to tinker a bit then a triplet for these prices is remarkable however do not expect a scope with premium mechanics and finish, this scope would make a good beater scope for use in a situation where a big dollar instrument runs the risk of damage loss etc, DA

There is a lot that can be done to improve these scopes, both cosmetically and mechanically. My 65 has been flocked, gso focuser custom mated to the body and still 360 degree rotatable, mircofocuser has been worked over, and repainted. there is nothing I would change on it at this point. I really wish they made a 100 but otherwise I'm a happy guy.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6252708 - 12/14/13 01:45 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

Lens shot:

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#6252772 - 12/14/13 02:21 PM

Mine won,t see starlight for a long while, a trip overseas + the Canadian winter , however looking down the fields at the back of my place seem to be very good, DA.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6252981 - 12/14/13 04:21 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

Alright I'm a little bored so now the front trim ring on mine is polished aluminium.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6253192 - 12/14/13 06:47 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

And now the other ring is shiny. Now I need to do something with the focuse, perhaps paint it the same color as the tube?

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
      #6253208 - 12/14/13 06:57 PM

Quote:

Alright I'm a little bored so now the front trim ring on mine is polished aluminium.

Looks great. Really brings it to a higher quality look. This snow is driving me nuts too. (NJ) How'd you do that? Did you clear coat it?
Bob

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6253219 - 12/14/13 07:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks great. Really brings it to a higher quality look. This snow is driving me nuts too. (NJ) How'd you do that? Did you clear coat it?
Bob

Thanks! Nope no clear coat. I hand to sand them back to bare metal, then wet sanded all the way to 3000 grit, used rubbing compound, then aluminum polish and buffed it like crazy. Took me 3 hours for both rings. Yes the snow is adding to the boredom, and I'm in no mood to just watch tv. Honestly if my garage was heated I'd be prepping the focuser for paint!

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6253277 - 12/14/13 07:30 PM

Nice work man! Maybe you could try anodizing the knobs? I have always wanted to try that.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6253282 - 12/14/13 07:32 PM

Quote:

The focuser on mine appears to be ok as the two tension knobs lock it in place and the focuser knobs do what they're supposed to do. The focuser drawtube extends 3.75" backwards and the sliding dew shield and the main lens cap that screws into the front end of the scope work well. The 360 degree lock ring was tight on my too but I was able to rotate the focuser. I'm not too sure how easily the latter would be to use in cold weather. For what you get, you could probably begin an initial foray into imaging without the acquisition of a much more expensive scope.

Yep it will hold a camera fine, difficult to focus at times but no slop and once it locks it stays perfect aligned with the main tube. Upgrade the focuser if you need something more serious. All you need is an 80ed adapter with the GSO line, and probably the same with anything else.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6253285 - 12/14/13 07:33 PM

Jag, how do you like that porta 2? I have been wanting an alt-az that I can just throw in the trunk when I go camping.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6253291 - 12/14/13 07:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is a lot that can be done to improve these scopes, both cosmetically and mechanically. My 65 has been flocked, gso focuser custom mated to the body and still 360 degree rotatable, mircofocuser has been worked over, and repainted. there is nothing I would change on it at this point. I really wish they made a 100 but otherwise I'm a happy guy.

You could always pickup an 80! I have been kind of wondering about rigging up 2 of these side by side to make some binos lol.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6253319 - 12/14/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

Nice work man! Maybe you could try anodizing the knobs? I have always wanted to try that.

Thats one thing I've never done! Im definitely going to paint the focuser to match as soon as I can. Maybe I will order custom polished aluminum knobs to match too.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6253323 - 12/14/13 08:00 PM

Quote:

Jag, how do you like that porta 2? I have been wanting an alt-az that I can just throw in the trunk when I go camping.

I love it! Only thing is the tripod is comes with sucks, I use the tripod from my cg5 asgt

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6253618 - 12/14/13 11:17 PM Attachment (87 downloads)

I gold plated my Barska 80.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6253667 - 12/15/13 12:07 AM

Woa! Thats amazing! I remember seeing gold plating kits for cadillacs in dupont registry catalogs from the late 90's, is that the route you took? Looks slick! Love where this thread has gone with this refractor, freakin awesome.

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6253669 - 12/15/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I love it! Only thing is the tripod is comes with sucks, I use the tripod from my cg5 asgt

ok cool, yea I was gunna say that looks like a cg5 tripod!

jag767
professor emeritus

#6253936 - 12/15/13 07:22 AM

Quote:

Very cool!

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
      #6254039 - 12/15/13 09:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wouldn't the ES Twilight I Alt-Az be like the Vixen with much stronger tripod? Any one try one?
Bob

Edited by spongebob@55 (12/15/13 09:24 AM)

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Cheapest 'ED APO' yet? (Barska Magnus) new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6254129 - 12/15/13 10:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wouldn't the ES Twilight I Alt-Az be like the Vixen with much stronger tripod? Any one try one?
Bob

I only paid $100 for the head so I really didnt look into other options

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6254682 - 12/15/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

I take it you finally got the dew shield off?

jag767
professor emeritus

#6254719 - 12/15/13 03:56 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

So since its not going to be warm enough to paint anytime soon:

calypsob
professor emeritus

#6262749 - 12/19/13 10:20 PM

Looking good jag, how did it turn out?

jag767
professor emeritus