Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Cosmosphil
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/04/05

Loc: So. California
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: JLP]
      #4201410 - 11/21/10 06:31 PM

Well, that's fantastic! The more folks that carry and push Yuri's scopes the better. And you could not ask for a better bunch to work with than the folks at OPT.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Boudreau
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: Saugus, MA
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: edif300]
      #4201635 - 11/21/10 08:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

who is doing the final polishing and figuring?

Takahashi grinds and polishes these lens blanks from Ohara.

While Tak does the optical work on their own mirrors and they do design their own refractor objectives, the production refractor lenses themselves are outsourced through Canon. This has been mentioned by Art at TNR on the Takahashi Yahoo Group several times in the past.

Tak does set the lens spacing and collimation in house though.

---John

edif300

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Basque Country
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: John Boudreau]
      #4202164 - 11/22/10 01:31 AM

Quote:

the production refractor lenses themselves are outsourced through Canon. This has been mentioned by Art at TNR on the Takahashi Yahoo Group several times in the past.

According a private conversation with Art years ago, this is only true for telescopes with Fluorite elements. For the Sky-90 and the FS-60C.

The ED glass (and all other elements) for the lens blanks on the TOA, TSA are purchased from Ohara, grinds, polishes and multicoated by Tak.

John Boudreau
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: Saugus, MA
      #4202479 - 11/22/10 08:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the production refractor lenses themselves are outsourced through Canon. This has been mentioned by Art at TNR on the Takahashi Yahoo Group several times in the past.

According a private conversation with Art years ago, this is only true for telescopes with Fluorite elements. For the Sky-90 and the FS-60C.

The ED glass (and all other elements) for the lens blanks on the TOA, TSA are purchased from Ohara, grinds, polishes and multicoated by Tak.

I can only go on what Art himself has posted on the matter in other forums and even here on CN early last year:
link

Through the years I have seen many posts on the Tak Group, A-Mart Forums, and even some here on CN where Art goes into this.

---John

edif300

Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: John Boudreau]
      #4202623 - 11/22/10 10:13 AM

Interesting, I will ask again about it in order to get a clear light.
Regards,

Hypnotist
sage

Reged: 08/29/10

Loc: San Diego, CA, US
      #4202715 - 11/22/10 11:04 AM

What do you think about a Tak TOA 130 with the EM 200 mount? Is that a good setup? What does that package come with? What will I need for my 5D Mark II along with those things?

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: Hypnotist]
      #4202821 - 11/22/10 11:54 AM

Wow. This thread is still going.

edif300

Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: Hypnotist]
      #4202838 - 11/22/10 12:08 PM

Quote:

What do you think about a Tak TOA 130 with the EM 200 mount? Is that a good setup?

A friend is using the same configuration... TOA-130F+67FF, but QHY-9 ccd.

Quote:

What does that package come with?

With the tube comes the TOA-130FB, 4" focuser, Camera Angle Adjuster, 50.8mm and 31.8mm eyepiece adapters.

With the EM-200Temma2M comes the equatorial head, power plug and hand controller. Do not include the tripod.

There is also available a complete system TOA-130FB/EM-200T2M.

To get better support you must ask to Art at TNR (artc@takahashiamerica.com)

Quote:

What will I need for my 5D Mark II along with those things?

67 Field Flattener (TOA130FF)
CA-35 (TCA-1030)
Wide-T mount for Canon EOS (TMW0004)
Extra 5kg Counterweight (TCW0200)
Guiding cable for the EM-200 Temma2M according your guiding setup.

Tripod for EM-200 is included in complete system purchase.

Tube rings + couplers (losmandy saddle plate...) to mount the tube in to the EM or Tak tube holder. Tak Tube holder is included in complete system purchase.

I think that you must talk with Arthur.
Regards,

Mike28
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/21/03

Loc: Morris County,NJ
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: DeanS]
      #4203171 - 11/22/10 03:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I understand that the TOAs (at least the 150s) have been susceptible to misalignment due to jarring. In fact, I think Takahashi made changes to the TOA-150 cell early on to combat this. You're talking big, heavy lens cells with large (glass-insulated) air pockets between them. The difficulty of execution of this design was undertaken for one purpose - color correction for imaging. I suspect the TOAs will be more apt to come out of alignment over time as a result, but who knows.

I wonder where did you find information regarding this..."misalignment" issue.
As a member of Yahoo Tak users, and Takahashi community on Facebook...I have never ever heard a TOA-150 user complaining about lens misalignment.
Please provide "evidence" (a link or something), I'm interesting in learning more.

Teo

---------------------------------------------
Takahashi TOA-13OS
Zeiss Abbe II ortho set + 2X Barlow

Not sure if I ever posted my issue on the Tak group, but.....

I bought my toa-150 used, found out later that evening, and 7 hours away, that it was really far out of collimation. Was sent back to Art and Fred at TNR. They said the cell was bad, replaced it with a brand new one direct from Japan, and only charged a small amount for the labor. Luckily the guy I bought it from stood behind it and covered all the expenses of which shipping was the biggest. Now I have basically a brand new scope, particularly since I upgraded to the B model focuser.

So yes it has happened in the past to more than just me but I believe Tak as taken care of what ever caused the problem.

TNR really does stand by their TAK scopes. As far as the issue with the older TAKs, it seems the older batch of TOA150's had issues with the cell coming loose from being jarred. This was corrected with replacement parts for them. I should know, my order for a new TOA150F delayed since no more new TAKs were coming into the U.S. from Japan until Takahashi corrected the issue. My 150F was brand new off assembly line with the new upgraded cell compartment so I never had an issue. I had a TOA130S that I sold when my order of TOA150 finally came in. I was sorry I sold the TOA130, I considered it one of the best scopes (for it's size) I ever owned. The focuser was ok but I had upgraded it with the Feather touch micro focuser. A real nice piece of equipment to have....

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: Ira]
      #4203192 - 11/22/10 03:16 PM

Quote:

Wow. This thread is still going.

Keeps going, and going, and going,,,,,,,,,,,

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: Mike28]
      #4203289 - 11/22/10 04:16 PM

"I should know, my order for a new TOA150F delayed since no more new TAKs were coming into the U.S. from Japan until Takahashi corrected the issue."

Out of curiosity, when was that Mike?

Thanks,

Jim

Mike28
Post Laureate

Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4207625 - 11/24/10 05:17 PM

Cells were jarring loose causing collimation issues. I first found out through some owners who had encountered same. Then I realized why I had a year wait on my scope. Back orders for other customers and the corrction of the scopes. I suspect newer scopes had a more tighter seal around the elements/glass. I encountered an issue with one collimation screw a year after purchase the image was slightly off. The dealer here could not collimate it cause the screw keeped turning. We sent the scope back to TNR who replaced it and collimated the scope. I havent had any issues since. Like I said the stand by their products.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #4207852 - 11/24/10 07:11 PM

Yeah, "Art at Texas Nautical Repair" is a good argument for getting the TOA130 or anything Takahashi. He really knows his stuff and as everyone says he backs their products 100%. I've spoken to him many times on the phone and he's not just knowledgeable, he's a real problem solver.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #4207895 - 11/24/10 07:36 PM

Mike:

My question was "when" as in "when (i.e., month/year approximately) was the interruption of deliveries" that you describe. I'm trying to figure out how long from the first shipment into the US it took to discover the issues and then address it.

It's good that they did what they should have done to remedy a design defect, but I think that's to be expected. Even Orion fixes problems of its own or its manufacturer's making.

Regards,

Jim

Mike28
Post Laureate

Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4213210 - 11/27/10 01:46 PM

Quote:

Mike:

My question was "when" as in "when (i.e., month/year approximately) was the interruption of deliveries" that you describe. I'm trying to figure out how long from the first shipment into the US it took to discover the issues and then address it.

It's good that they did what they should have done to remedy a design defect, but I think that's to be expected. Even Orion fixes problems of its own or its manufacturer's making.

Regards,

Jim

That's hard to answer Jim. I ordered my scope in 2005.I didnt recieve it until 2006. Past issues might have been in 04'/'05. I also remember reading a post of a shootout betweem the Tak, TEC, AP and some other 6" refractors at a Texas star party. There was mention that the owner of the Tak had some issues and though the image was good, it just didnt have a perfectly clear image. He had the scope collimated sevar times. The writer of the review shortly removed that info from his site. As far as I know, owners who had the issue with their Taks had them corrected.

Moondust

Reged: 11/14/06

Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: luck]
      #4214426 - 11/28/10 03:21 AM

Except for the fact that my AP 130 was the F/8.3 version nearly the same focal length as the AP 140 and the advantage to the 140 was still obvious at a glance as stated before. I have to say I really don't understand your post at all. What does focal length have to do with it? 100X in a 130 F/6.3 and 100X in a 140 F/7.5 is still 100X. Any brightness differences discerned between the 2 scopes is due to aperture not focal length.

Quote:

Moondust, please keep in mind that the scopes (AP130/140) that you have compared the focal-point differ by 231mm in favor of AP140. Compared to the TEC/TOA, 20mm focal-point difference in favor of the TOA. The focal-point can play a role in comparing these scopes.

AP 130 : F6.3 (819mm)
AP 140 : F7.5 (1050mm)

TOA130 : F7.7 (1000mm)
TEC140 : F7 (980mm)

Ziggy943
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/11/06

Loc: Utah
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: Cosmosphil]
      #4215761 - 11/28/10 08:00 PM

Quote:

Well, that's fantastic! The more folks that carry and push Yuri's scopes the better. And you could not ask for a better bunch to work with than the folks at OPT.

Except maybe Yuri himself.

timps
sage

Reged: 02/24/13

Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: Ziggy943]
      #5699303 - 02/25/13 04:41 AM

Hey. I just found this thread. I am considering purchasing one of these scopes. At the moment favouring the TEC 140. However, I may even consider the Istar 6" flourite triplet! Does anyone know anything about the Istar?

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: timps]
      #5700114 - 02/25/13 03:52 PM

Round two!

madcity

Reged: 04/22/04

Loc: WI, USA
Re: Takahashi TOA 130 vs. TEC 140 new [Re: timps]
      #6385698 - 02/19/14 10:29 PM

Oh, why not join in ...

Also just discovered this thread, and I'm in the same quandary. AP130 (on list), TOA130 ... and suddenly the TEC pops up as a choice. Visual + imaging (STF8300). This thread has been quite illuminating. I just hope talking to vendors at NEAF2014 will clarify matters.

Or not.

With one exception, I haven't seen anyone weigh in on what seems to be a very heavy scope (the Tak). Since I take my scopes to my club's site, could someone address portability. (I'm healthy and strong enough, but I'm in the "senior citizen" demographic, and at some point schlepping heavy stuff may no longer be fun.) Has weight been a (deciding) factor in what anyone bought?

Decisions, decisions ...

Edited by madcity (02/19/14 10:33 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12172

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics