Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: AP 175 new [Re: vahe]
      #5323223 - 07/18/12 08:42 AM

Vahe, I'd agree if these scopes were going to be available as a production item. However, to my knowledge this is a "very" limited run and when the blank are gone, he's done with these. Someone correct me if the know different. That said, I still agree and very much respect that these interments are being made at all and are priced where they are.

At this point used AP180's can fetch between 25-30k. Even 26-27k bids are not meeting current reserve prices. I expect the first AP175 to be sold used will go for 35-40K. Perhaps higher in an auction. However, most of the folks on that list that are still into this hobby and are interested enough to come up with an unexpected 20k for something the ordered 18 years ago, are most likely NOT going to part with it for the time being. Which, is a good thing. I know of one, who said - "this is a lifetime scope, I waited a lifetime and that's how long I'm keeping it."

Best, Joe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: AP 175 new [Re: jmiele]
      #5323329 - 07/18/12 09:55 AM

Roland told me these were a one run and done- then back to making AP130s.

-Rich

coz
sage

Reged: 08/25/10

Re: AP 175 new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5323365 - 07/18/12 10:14 AM

I certainly don't know how he arrived at the price but a good comp is TEC's 180 and AP includes the FF. I do agree with Joe about where these will eventually trade!

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: AP 175 new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5323390 - 07/18/12 10:37 AM

Quote:

-Rich

Any idea how many scopes?

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: AP 175 new [Re: Paul G]
      #5323399 - 07/18/12 10:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

-Rich

Any idea how many scopes?

Yes, not enough.

Best, Joe

JimP
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/03

Loc: South Carolina
      #5323421 - 07/18/12 11:01 AM

I don't know about the AP 180 F/7's but the AP 180 F/9 scopes are selling for under $20K.

JimP

JimP
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/03

Loc: South Carolina
Re: AP 175 new [Re: JimP]
      #5323427 - 07/18/12 11:02 AM

Or, perhaps I should say I know where I can buy one for under $20K and when I sold mine I sold it for $18K.

JimP

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5323446 - 07/18/12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Vahe, I'd agree if these scopes were going to be available as a production item. However, to my knowledge this is a "very" limited run and when the blank are gone, he's done with these. Someone correct me if the know different. That said, I still agree and very much respect that these interments are being made at all and are priced where they are.

At this point used AP180's can fetch between 25-30k. Even 26-27k bids are not meeting current reserve prices. I expect the first AP175 to be sold used will go for 35-40K. Perhaps higher in an auction. However, most of the folks on that list that are still into this hobby and are interested enough to come up with an unexpected 20k for something the ordered 18 years ago, are most likely NOT going to part with it for the time being. Which, is a good thing. I know of one, who said - "this is a lifetime scope, I waited a lifetime and that's how long I'm keeping it."

Best, Joe

Hi Joe,

F9 180EDT's have historically gone for 16-20K and seem to have settled down at 18K for the very few which have traded hands in the last couple of years. The f7 180EDF with field flattener is much rarer, perhaps less than 15 made and only Roland knows for sure. These have historically gone for between 32-38K. They come up so very infrequently that it is hard to get a handle on current pricing but in the range of 30-34K seems close to the mark. As you say though, any Astro-Physics telescope, and especially the highly desirable collectible yet entirely useable telescopes like the prized f5 Stowaway, the ultra rare AP180EDF, the rare AP180EDT and 10" Mak-Cass, and now the AP175, an Astro-Physics telescope will likely always be a prized possession and worthy of being considered a life-time telescope. I know several people who have multiple Astro-Physics telescopes and they rarely consider parting with one them.

Edited by M13 Observer (07/18/12 11:22 AM)

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: AP 175 new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5323458 - 07/18/12 11:27 AM

There's probably a handful of people around the world that would bid up a 175mm to the sky, but how long would it last? TEC has announced another run of 180's, that is probably enough for vast majority of people. It's already f/7 for imaging and has a reasonably-priced flattener. I see that the 180 is quite a bit lighter as well, which is attractive to many buyers.

so we have 4 people on this thread getting 175's? very exciting! TEC has said there is strong demand for their 180's as well. These are amazing amateur telescopes! To me it's like seeing a famous artist cranking out more masterpieces. Even if I'll never have one, I might get to enjoy one at some point, just like seeing an art exhibit.

As far as AP 130's I think someone posted a photo of serial #300-and-something recently, I would assume they've made 300+

Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: AP 175 new [Re: Scott99]
      #5323487 - 07/18/12 11:48 AM

Quote:

so we have 4 people on this thread getting 175's? very exciting! TEC has said there is strong demand for their 180's as well. These are amazing amateur telescopes! To me it's like seeing a famous artist cranking out more masterpieces. Even if I'll never have one, I might get to enjoy one at some point, just like seeing an art exhibit.

I agree! Too rich for my blood, but at least I can enjoy living vicariously through the experiences of some of these folks! Now, they do realize that they need to post their "first light" experiences, complete with pictures, don't they?

Malabargold

Reged: 07/15/12

Re: AP 175 new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5323511 - 07/18/12 12:10 PM

The AP wait lists have been good to me. I have a last model run of every telescope since and including the Stowaways.
This will plug the gap nicely between the 160 and the 180 EDF

Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: AP 175 new [Re: Malabargold]
      #5323531 - 07/18/12 12:28 PM

Quote:

The AP wait lists have been good to me. I have a last model run of every telescope since and including the Stowaways.
This will plug the gap nicely between the 160 and the 180 EDF

There's a gap between your AP 160 and 180? Seriously? I'm just picking on you, but in all reality I'm very happy for you and your good fortune! I don't know if you've ever seen an AP175 in person before, but I saw one of these at NEAF in April, and it's quite a looker!

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: AP 175 new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5323543 - 07/18/12 12:36 PM

I guess it sits in this price range?
http://www.apm-telescopes.net/de/Teleskope/Linsenteleskope-Optik/Tubus-/Apochromaten/Apo-175/1400-CNC-LW-II-608.html

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

#5324043 - 07/18/12 07:42 PM

Quote:

As far as AP 130's I think someone posted a photo of serial #300-and-something recently, I would assume they've made 300+

I figure that between the AP130EDFS and AP130GT, that there are getting to be close to 1000 of them around the world. I think there were around 500 or more AP130EDFS made and by now there are probably close to that many AP130GT's.

idealistic
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/10

Loc: massachusetts
Re: AP 175 new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5324082 - 07/18/12 08:08 PM

Quote:

In the 175EDF offer letter mailed to me it asks that a receiver of a new 175EDF not resell it for quick profit.

Has Mr Christen commented on his reasoning for this? Im just curious as to why he cares. If I waited almost 20 years for a scope Id like to think I could do whatever I wanted with it once it was mine. (not that Id let something like that go, but if someone who didnt wait on the list wanted it bad enough to pay more than 20K, why shouldnt they get to?)

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: AP 175 new [Re: idealistic]
      #5324133 - 07/18/12 09:03 PM

Because perhaps he feels that as these are the last big scopes he will make, he wants to ensure they are going to folks that waited and now will enjoy them. Not exploit them to make money. He could just as easily have asked the market value they are worth and had people pay 35-40k for them new. He didn't even if it is his ability and attention to detail that warrants the high hight. Maybe it's because he cares about his work and wants it to be affordable so people can enjoy it. Maybe because he feels if he isn't going to exploit his talent you shouldn't.

IDK, it is your money........Joe

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: AP 175 new [Re: idealistic]
      #5324135 - 07/18/12 09:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In the 175EDF offer letter mailed to me it asks that a receiver of a new 175EDF not resell it for quick profit.

Has Mr Christen commented on his reasoning for this? Im just curious as to why he cares. If I waited almost 20 years for a scope Id like to think I could do whatever I wanted with it once it was mine. (not that Id let something like that go, but if someone who didnt wait on the list wanted it bad enough to pay more than 20K, why shouldnt they get to?)

I would think it is because you didn't really wait. It isn't like an investment. You paid no money, no deposit, did nothing, nada, other than say at some point 20 or so years ago "Hey that sounds nice, let me know if you make one."

I personally don't know why that ancient dusty list still exists. In my opinion, it is a joke with worthless notification lists going back 10, 15, 20 years.

idealistic
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/10

Loc: massachusetts
      #5324282 - 07/18/12 11:16 PM

Quote:

Because perhaps he feels that as these are the last big scopes he will make, he wants to ensure they are going to folks that waited and now will enjoy them. Not exploit them to make money. He could just as easily have asked the market value they are worth and had people pay 35-40k for them new. He didn't even if it is his ability and attention to detail that warrants the high hight. Maybe it's because he cares about his work and wants it to be affordable so people can enjoy it. Maybe because he feels if he isn't going to exploit his talent you shouldn't.

IDK, it is your money........Joe

Well he should obviously let the people who waited have the first chance at them. And yes, he could have charged more, not that 19.8k is "affordabe", Im sure hes gearing up for retirement and making more GP than ever on this run. Once he sets the price, a customer cant be accused of "exploiting" his talent, especially if hes waited patienly for 20 years then pony'd up 20 grand for a scope that cost less than 6 when he signed up for it. You seem like a free market guy, Im still confused as to why he cares. Hes done his part, produced and distributed his labor of love. What happens next shoudnt concern him.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5324307 - 07/18/12 11:43 PM

Quote:

There's probably a handful of people around the world that would bid up a 175mm to the sky, but how long would it last? TEC has announced another run of 180's, that is probably enough for vast majority of people. It's already f/7 for imaging and has a reasonably-priced flattener. I see that the 180 is quite a bit lighter as well, which is attractive to many buyers.

Make that five folks getting the AP175.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: AP 175 [Re: idealistic]
      #5324314 - 07/18/12 11:48 PM

Indeed I am a free market guy. TBH, I don't know what he thinks. I do know he has never been thrilled when his scope are sold for outrages prices. I believe he wants them to go where they will be used and enjoyed. That maybe the person on the list that didn't want it would pass it on to the next in line. But let's face it, back in the day, some folks sold their AP mount before they took delivery. I always found that distasteful.

Joe

Edited by jmiele (07/18/12 11:49 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
35 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27965

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics